Other Turbo Vado Fix?

Mikes56

Aug 30, 2021
CA
My wife crashed yesterday and the LCD screen broke off its mount. Looking at the back of the screen, the tabs snapped off so I can’t reattach it to the mount. It looks like I can remove 4 small screws and replace the screen. Anyone done this? Am I thinking right?

Thanks, Im a longtime lurker and new member.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
You may not get many responses since this is a MTB forum, the bikes do not even come with a TCD. I ride with Vados and a Como so I have some familiarity with the TCD. A response on Specialized's website notes that after the tabs broke off the owner had to buy a new $90 TCD, :( I don't know if there is a small connector behind the part with the 4 screws, that would make things easier.

If you have access to a 3D printer you may be able to make a new mount or something to allow heavy double-stick tape to secure the TCD to the handlebar mount.

Mikes56

Aug 30, 2021
CA
Thanks for your response.

The mount is not damaged, the TCD screen has the tabs on it, and that’s what broke off. Oh well, $90 is doable if I can install it myself. I hate paying shop labor for something I can do myself. Any idea if it needs to be programmed? Or does it get all its info from the battery and motor?

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL

The mount is not damaged, the TCD screen has the tabs on it, and that’s what broke off. Oh well, $90 is doable if I can install it myself. I hate paying shop labor for something I can do myself. Any idea if it needs to be programmed? Or does it get all its info from the battery and motor?
Not sure about programming, both Vados I ride with had the TCD replaced (from the old version) under warranty and were done by the dealer at no charge.

TurboExpert

Mar 25, 2024
Colorado

Saw this post while hunting for another related topic. You will need to have the shop install the TCD because it has to be "introduced" to the Turbo system via your Specialized Retailer's Turbo Studio program. Just to operate this program you need to have a registered retailer email with Specialized. In addition to that self installed turbo components could very well void your warranty prematurely. Given that this post is from 2021 you're now well outside of warranty so that has less to do with your case, but if another user is reading this looking for answers, go to your Specialized retailer and have the work done by a Turbo certified technician.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles