Other Turbo Vado: Tap 36 volt from battery cable for lightning possible?

Happyonmybike

Jun 3, 2023
Europe
Hi,
I would like to connect a 36 volt 35W light directly to the battery cable, running to the motor of a Specialized Turbo Vado.
Actually, the motor is supplied with this voltage. The current consumption of which will of course be increased due to the branching to the lamp.
I don't know how capable it is of controlling the current.
I am unsure if this could cause warning messages or at worst a defect.
Does anybody have experience with this?
(Model 5.0 IGH 2023)

Thanks! :)

Happyonmybike

Jun 3, 2023
Europe
I know that there is an output connector for light. But it is limited to 24W (12V, 2A)
I am just worried, that the battery checks the current consumption of the 36V, some kind of security check to detect a leaking.
I want to be sure, before I buy the lamp, which costs 460$.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hi,

Yes, the light port.

If you search the forum there's quite a few threads on lighting, different options, splicing into 36v. Search something like "Levo wired lights".

If you struggle with the forum search, you can just use google to search the site with something like :

site:emtbforums.com levo lights 36v

Which also brings up some of the 36v discussions .

Happyonmybike

Jun 3, 2023
Europe
I have found this from a guy, who did the same:

Took it out on a ride at night, and the light was great!!!.... Only one "tiny" little problem..........
When I switch the light on....the motor power dies... And won't come back on till I switch the light off, and turn the battery switch off and on again.
Apparently the bike has a "CanBus" system.. like on motor vehicles, and senses a problem and shuts down the system when I turn the light on.☹️☹️☹️
Any bright ideas how to get around this wonderfull technology!!?????

I guess this answers my question… 😕

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
I ran a Chinese "800 lumen" LED light off my Gen 1 Levo no problem. No errors or anything. Just be aware if the bike battery goes flat you are alone in very dark woods with a very heavy bike...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I ran a Chinese "800 lumen" LED light off my Gen 1 Levo no problem. No errors or anything. Just be aware if the bike battery goes flat you are alone in very dark woods with a very heavy bike...
From the light port or the 36v ? I can't remember exactly but I thought the Gen1 was 1 amp or 0.5 amp on the light port.

I'm not quite sure why the OP would want to run a 35w 36v light, I'd guess that would be heading into real world 3000+ lumens ? Or something to melt trees with ..

Happyonmybike

Jun 3, 2023
Europe
I want the birds in the winter forest to start nesting in confusion as soon as I turn on the lamp! :)
I could connext the Lupine SL X to the light port. The lamp could do 2800 lumen, but the port is not strong enough for that - abo 2000 lumen can be expected. It‘s still a lot of light- but if you pay 440€ for a ligh, you want to use 100% and not just 66%.
An alternative would be the SL X (GIANT), same price, powered with 36V instead 12V. 3600 lumen!
So 3600 lumen instead of 2000 for the same amoun of money. :)
This is my motivation.
But I think this hope won’t fulfill. ;-)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles