Another from Downunder

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia
Hi all,
Newb from Central Coast NSW Australia, I don't have a e-ride yet, just need to save some more pennies so hopefully early new year I will be powering uphill and getting fitness back. Man, the EMTB prices sting a little here in Australia.
Current ride is a 2014 Scott 740 Genius but age and motorcycle injuries are catching up with me so looking at a Powerfly LT 9 Plus, a standard Turbo Levo with some small upgrades or base Kenevo Comp.
Cheers.

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Thanks guys, yeah will definitely be test riding what I can, also now looking at the Giant E+ PRO 1, looks to be good value for the spec, just not sure about the Giant/Yamaha motor.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
Thanks guys, yeah will definitely be test riding what I can, also now looking at the Giant E+ PRO 1, looks to be good value for the spec, just not sure about the Giant/Yamaha motor.
Funny enough that is the exact bike I have :)

I really like the Yamaha motor, the torque sensors work really well and the motor activates with the slightest push of the pedal which I like but it might not be for everyone. I went for the Giant E+1 because it gave me the best spec for the price. The Fox shocks work really well, and now that I am used to the SRAM brakes i really like them.

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Funny enough that is the exact bike I have :)

I really like the Yamaha motor, the torque sensors work really well and the motor activates with the slightest push of the pedal which I like but it might not be for everyone. I went for the Giant E+1 because it gave me the best spec for the price. The Fox shocks work really well, and now that I am used to the SRAM brakes i really like them.

Good to know, I'm liking the Orange colour (the Giant paint seems to look real nice on all of the models).
If I find that Giant have good after sales support in Australia then it will be just ahead of the Trek LT 9 plus on paper (for me at least). Bit of a test ride on both will sort out the decision I think.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
Good to know, I'm liking the Orange colour (the Giant paint seems to look real nice on all of the models).
If I find that Giant have good after sales support in Australia then it will be just ahead of the Trek LT 9 plus on paper (for me at least). Bit of a test ride on both will sort out the decision I think.
Yeah the orange really pops in the sunlight, and the black trim has got silver flecks in the paint that also look really good in the sunlight. My wife has the E+3 and i must admit i really like the green that it comes in, but i wanted the high spec of the E+1

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
Hey mate, what did you mean about getting used to the SRAM brakes? Do you know how they compare to XT's?
I may get some idea tomorrow as I am test riding the E+ 1 PRO during my lunch brake.
Just that there is a lot of modulation or travel in the lever. So you have to pull the lever a fair bit before you get full lock. I'm sure it can be adjusted but I like how they feel now that I'm used to them.

See how you go tomorrow, will be good to hear what you think.

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Deposit taken, Went with the E+ 1 PRO, motor noise was a little more than I anticipated but not a problem. I see what you mean about the brakes now, I will have to get used to the progressive pull. $800 AU off retail so I was happy with the deal. Will be ready by the time I get back from holidays.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
Deposit taken, Went with the E+ 1 PRO, motor noise was a little more than I anticipated but not a problem. I see what you mean about the brakes now, I will have to get used to the progressive pull. $800 AU off retail so I was happy with the deal. Will be ready by the time I get back from holidays.
Yes mate! Thats great news! Congrats! What size did you go for in the end?

I got a side entry bottle holder for mine as it can be difficult to get a water bottle out of a traditional bottle holder because the top tube runs down at a fairly steep angle.

I was a bit concerned about motor noise at first too but you get used to it pretty quick and its a small price to pay for the amount of enjoyment.

Have you chosen some pedals for it yet? I saw someone with blue pedals on their E+1. The orange and blue combo looks pretty cool. I just went for some black Giant pedals and i wish i went for a bit more colour now.

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Yes mate! Thats great news! Congrats! What size did you go for in the end?

I got a side entry bottle holder for mine as it can be difficult to get a water bottle out of a traditional bottle holder because the top tube runs down at a fairly steep angle.

I was a bit concerned about motor noise at first too but you get used to it pretty quick and its a small price to pay for the amount of enjoyment.

Have you chosen some pedals for it yet? I saw someone with blue pedals on their E+1. The orange and blue combo looks pretty cool. I just went for some black Giant pedals and i wish i went for a bit more colour now.

Yeah, I got the Giant flats, the one that is quite flat, black with gold pins, I did think about the blue as well but just went with the black. I will have to check out some pics of the blue pedals on if I can find any, I still have time to change them if I want to.
I didn't think about the bottle cage, will check that out as well.
Thanks for the heads up.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
Sweet! Yeah those are the same pedals i got, the gold pins do work nicely with the orange to be fair so you wont be disappointed. Medium sounds like a good choice. Drop some pics on the forum once you pick it up.

Shane

Sep 16, 2018
Adelaide
Great choice on the bike. For what it’s worth I demo’ed the trek and the Giant side by side with a mate and after an hour we were arguing over who got to ride the Giant. There really was no contest. Not in our minds anyway.

Ps, I ordered some blue fire eye pedals last night ;p

Oh and the Yamaha May not be the quietest but at the same time it’s quieter than you think in regards to other riders perspective. I keep asking my wife if she has hers off as I can never her it and same vice versa.

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Great choice on the bike. For what it’s worth I demo’ed the trek and the Giant side by side with a mate and after an hour we were arguing over who got to ride the Giant. There really was no contest. Not in our minds anyway.

Ps, I ordered some blue fire eye pedals last night ;p

Oh and the Yamaha May not be the quietest but at the same time it’s quieter than you think in regards to other riders perspective. I keep asking my wife if she has hers off as I can never her it and same vice versa.

Cheers Shane, would be good to see a pic those pedals on your ride when you get them. You two have got me thinking now.

gregjet

Oct 9, 2018
Bundaberg Australia
Better choice than the Specialized. Ours Levo has had battery/controller problems and the specialized distributors have shown complete lack of interest in the problem. Wouldn't touch one in Aus. Note: The bike itself is extremely good, but the support is crap. After the problems I had with my giant ( non ebike) and Giant Australia's support being beyond the call of duty, you went the right way.

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Better choice than the Specialized. Ours Levo has had battery/controller problems and the specialized distributors have shown complete lack of interest in the problem. Wouldn't touch one in Aus. Note: The bike itself is extremely good, but the support is crap. After the problems I had with my giant ( non ebike) and Giant Australia's support being beyond the call of duty, you went the right way.

I was still unsure at the time of purchase of what the support network was like in Aus for Giant so this is good to hear.

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
Specialized Australia have been very helpful with any issues I’ve had with my Kenevo.
If you’re unhappy with the support you’re receiving I would contact Specialized Rider Care, they will have you sorted in no time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles