Alps trip and covid !?

nobbyq

Feb 17, 2019
jersey
Hi , who else is going /gone etc to alps biking this season , am supposed to be going to Switzerland but getting really cold feet , anyone else in the same frame of mind with all this rising infections ?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
TBH ive binned it off this year despite always driving so less of an issue with potential cancelled flights. It just seems to much hassle this year plus I can save some money in case I get made redundant.

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
Just my personal view....Why do people want to go on holiday during a global pandemic? It flips me off seeing these chavs in airports complaining that they have to quarantine etc etc JUST HAVE A YEAR OFF! For farginsake there’s a lot of selfish *#*# out there. I have no sympathy whatsoever for the idiots who are already on holiday....what did they expect? ? Don’t get me started on the *#*# who fill them beaches up down south....you’ve just got to laugh when the government are relying on the public to do the responsible thing ?????
(Nothing personal towards your post? Just my personal opinion)

Last edited by a moderator:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I am in Switzerland today (working), was biking in the Alps on Saturday without any problems.
A friend of mine finished a Transalp yesterday from Garmisch Germany to Torbole on Lake Garda in Italy without any problems also.
If you are concerned with catching Covid, then just be sensible. Avoid Bars / Nightclubs with loads of people. I don't like packed cable Cars either. But appart from that it is pretty much the same as at home. Dont lick everything,and don't put everything you touch into your mouth. Basically the same advice you would give a toddler!
I have the advantage that I live here so it is on my doorstep. I didn't have to fly here, just jump in the car.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Just my personal view....Why the fuck do people want to go on holiday during a global pandemic? It fucks me off seeing these chavs in airports complaining that they have to quarantine etc etc JUST HAVE A YEAR OFF! For fucksake there’s a lot of selfish cunts out there. I have no sympathy whatsoever for the idiots who are already on holiday....what did they expect? ? Don’t get me started on the cunts who fill them beaches up down south....you’ve just got to laugh when the government are relying on the public to do the responsible thing ?????

Couldn't have said it better myself (y)

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
In the last week of August I am planning to do a Trans Alp trip from Germany over Austria and over the Italian Dolomites to lake Garda. Looks like about 17000 vertical meters so averaging about 2000 per day. Should be a nice wee challenge with only one battery! I am mainly worried as to how often I will need to carry/push my bike!

Pete66

Mar 6, 2020
Spain Almeria
Hi
Nine of us have just come back from a week in Morzine. We drove there together as we’re in regular contact with each other through work. Wearing a mask when entering shops & restaurants is compulsory & also on the bubble car style lifts. The open lifts no mask is required. The resort was busy as usual & driving the same as always. Just follow the countries guidelines & I’m sure you will have as much fun as we had.

D

Deleted member 7464

Hi
Nine of us have just come back from a week in Morzine. We drove there together as we’re in regular contact with each other through work. Wearing a mask when entering shops & restaurants is compulsory & also on the bubble car style lifts. The open lifts no mask is required. The resort was busy as usual & driving the same as always. Just follow the countries guidelines & I’m sure you will have as much fun as we had.
Like he said. ??

Jamm13dodger

Jul 1, 2020
Burwell, UK
Just my personal view....Why do people want to go on holiday during a global pandemic? It flips me off seeing these chavs in airports complaining that they have to quarantine etc etc JUST HAVE A YEAR OFF! For farginsake there’s a lot of selfish *#*# out there. I have no sympathy whatsoever for the idiots who are already on holiday....what did they expect? ? Don’t get me started on the *#*# who fill them beaches up down south....you’ve just got to laugh when the government are relying on the public to do the responsible thing ?????

Yep relying on the great Britich Public to use common sense is not a good idea. This video shared the other day clearly demonstrates that fact;

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
Although he’s not wearing the Standard chav uniform (3 stripes tucked into black rockport boots and optional make up bag) make no mistake, this is a classic example of “a chav” ????
The sad part for society is he’s probably breeding more cunts like himself ?
It was nearly a happy ending but he just saw it in time, gutted ?

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Sooo what did he do wrong?
Ok,I see now, he doesn't have a helmet on. So when he gets hit, the Insurance can refuse to pay!
;)

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
It always amazes me the risks some will take to save themselves a few seconds.

Like the idiot drivers rushing to get home to sit their fat arse in front of the TV :rolleyes:

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Alot of these *#*# out there at doctors nurses healthcare or essential workers that have been saving our bacon so when the gov say it’s safe and you should travel abroad for your well earned rest , it’s upto them !

I have worked as a courier in London through the whole situation ( no applause please ) and had booked a week in morzine last November . We were supposed to go end of June but changed to end of aug / sept , if the gov say no can go it’s fine but atm it’s ok and I’m going . With the shower of shit show the Uk have made of this I CANT WAIT to get out of here to a place high in the mountains , in a quiet town where the COVID rate is lower and ride my bike . Common sense to me ✌️

Last edited:

Jansurf77

Dec 19, 2018
Cornwall
I just got back from the french alps a couple of weeks ago. Drove down, ferry was very quiet. Wearing masks on ski lifts, but overall it felt fine. Keep an eye on the infection numbers before you go, although most spots in Europe have lower numbers than UK.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I live in Switzerland. I would not be too concerned worries quarantine on return to U.K. as Switzerland has one of the lowest rates of infections in a Europe (210 cases and 1 death yesterday) The government here seem to have got it about right and are widely supported. The only issue is that if there is a major second wave in the U.K. then the Swiss might close the border to the U.K. but hopefully they are going to rely more on testing. They have a tracing app here which works well. Even during the lock down we were able to exercise outdoors locally as much as we liked, recognising that the risk if catching COVID whilst cycling or walking outdoors was very small and as far as I know there have been no cases attributed to outdoor exercise. This was good for mental health and some people who did not have financial worries even confessed to enjoying lock down.. Restrictions are pretty much the same as any places, but masks are only compulsory on public transport and in shops in some cantons. Social distancing was very good at the beginning but most people are quite relaxed about it now. Many cafes and restaurants don’t seem any different, not even all the staff wear masks. The weather here has been fantastic this Spring and it continues to be sunny and hot. The trails are in great condition and there are no travel restrictions within Switzerland. During August, it seems the whole of Switzerland are going to stay here so campsites and accommodation generally will be pretty booked up and popular spots will be very crowded. So, if you want a mountain biking holiday, Switzerland at the moment looks like a good (if expensive) bet!

nobbyq

Feb 17, 2019
jersey
I live in Switzerland. I would not be too concerned worries quarantine on return to U.K. as Switzerland has one of the lowest rates of infections in a Europe (210 cases and 1 death yesterday) The government here seem to have got it about right and are widely supported. The only issue is that if there is a major second wave in the U.K. then the Swiss might close the border to the U.K. but hopefully they are going to rely more on testing. They have a tracing app here which works well. Even during the lock down we were able to exercise outdoors locally as much as we liked, recognising that the risk if catching COVID whilst cycling or walking outdoors was very small and as far as I know there have been no cases attributed to outdoor exercise. This was good for mental health and some people who did not have financial worries even confessed to enjoying lock down.. Restrictions are pretty much the same as any places, but masks are only compulsory on public transport and in shops in some cantons. Social distancing was very good at the beginning but most people are quite relaxed about it now. Many cafes and restaurants don’t seem any different, not even all the staff wear masks. The weather here has been fantastic this Spring and it continues to be sunny and hot. The trails are in great condition and there are no travel restrictions within Switzerland. During August, it seems the whole of Switzerland are going to stay here so campsites and accommodation generally will be pretty booked up and popular spots will be very crowded. So, if you want a mountain biking holiday, Switzerland at the moment looks like a good (if expensive) bet!
thanks , was supposed to head down today but i bined the idea due to rising numbers in europe but mates still went and should be arriving in davos soon . i thought switzerland had low numbers but per capita they extremely high but thats in theory , i might pop down in sept , love it there then , quieter and dry crisp air !

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
406 cases per 100,000 17th of European countries (U.K. 452). Cases did go down to zero but there seems to be a bit of a spike. I’m also thinking of going to Davos/Klosters. It’s the other side of Switzerland from where I live but they have really gone all out to develop mountain biking, with hundreds of miles of single track, maybe more suited to EMTBs than the bike parks of Switzerland and France.

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
I rode verbier years ago and it was fantastic... Is Valais a good ebike destination, im 50 next year and just starting a boys holiday plan for 2021.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Verbier is open. You have to wear a mask in the Telecabine. It’s pissed with rain for two days now but forecast is very good for rest of the week and it dries out quite quickly. COVID cases in Switzerland were 66 yesterday. No quarantine for U.K. visitors at the moment and unless situation changes drastically I think that will remain the case.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles