All New 2023 Orbea Wild

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I thought that at first - but then noticed the fork and shock are only the 'Performance' level. Maybe things have changed, but I once bought a bike with 'Performance' (ie bottom of the range) level forks - they were terrible. Never again!
Same. The M10 spec is a huge downgrade from the original Rise M10 at 8k prior to the duel price increase. 6120 brakes, really?

Freeforester

Nov 6, 2022
Grampian
This might be a bit left-field, but for anyone looking for a solution for keeping the ‘love (for your ebike) in a cold climate’ it might be possible to use something like this?

I’m guessing it’s more about not having a place with a power supply in which to plug in a heating element, frost stat or wrap blanket. A non-electric paraffin or gas space heater is going to be a costly solution - for those in larger conurbations, they might consider the (albeit less convenient) possibility of sharing a warm secure storage room with some other/s, or making an arrangement with any sympathetic employer, but I get too the inconvenience this suggestion implies.

Mar 10, 2022
United Kingdom
I love the idea of fixed battery but my wife won't :/
35 forks.. ouch..
I love the brand but It does grind my gears that Orbea never lists weights with the whole "oh you have to ride the bike to feel it" and then they race on about how the top model only weighs in at xxx.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
So at what point should the battery be stored or charged indoors? What is the temperature range or high and low for potential problems?

also, what is the over run on the standard Bosch motor? The race having a 2 meter over run may be great in an experts hands for racing, but for us mortals, that could be dangerous.

Bosch recommend storing the battery between 0-20degC, ideally at a constant room temp of 20, and between 30-60% charge for best battery life.

2m is the maximum overrun an ebike can have by EU regs. I'm not sure if this is dependant on speed though. The standard Gen 4 feels like you get about 0.5-1 second.

Mikey B MTB

Nov 17, 2022
UK
Hi Mike.

The mechanics can change out the batteries in about 15-20 mins (they swapped mine from 750 to 625 at the trails. I assume that they will have mechanics at the pits and be able to swap out fairly quick.
Fair enough, it is easy, it's only 6 bolts, lots of spares and a team. It's just not very practical for your average racer titting about in a car park. They must know what they are doing, il keep quiet 🤫

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
I would have taken a slight weight increase to have a removable battery and associated gubbins, they have really narrowed the market for this as a result, pity. Also amazing that Giant will give you a decent Fox 38 on the Reign when Orbea only give you a very average 35.

But great to see lighter full fats arriving, no great gain on the trails but much appreciated when you have to hump it over a fence!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Bike is slacker than advertised!

Orbea vs Decoy

5735B4B4-7C68-4039-8F2A-6902490DC363.jpeg CF8FA9B7-2A51-4063-B2AA-64D5EAB68635.jpeg

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
FYI on Fork.

160mm comes with the 68HT crown (fat crown)

170mm comes with 58mm crown (regular crown). Both fit fine. Slight step down on the 58 HT (170mm Fork)

B51C62B7-A651-471E-AB6D-F0B262E2E7C1.jpeg

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Bike is slacker than advertised!

Orbea vs Decoy

View attachment 101668 View attachment 101669
Hmmm, what decoy is this? "Soon to be released can't say" decoy?

I'd be off to the lbs to order an aluminium wild w my pic of sudpension. It might be BOTY except for some reason theyre another company that doesnt have a flip chip to mullet it. I dont think a lot of people that are after small, medium, and some large are best suited to full 9er on an enduro emtb. All the great details and design they put into this and no flip chip. Boggles the mind. Same with the voima

Scout762

Nov 17, 2022
Utah
I love the idea of fixed battery but my wife won't :/
35 forks.. ouch..
I love the brand but It does grind my gears that Orbea never lists weights with the whole "oh you have to ride the bike to feel it" and then they race on about how the top model only weighs in at xxx.
This irks me also. If you are going to rave about weight, please list it. We know that specs/components change things, but a benchmark would be helpful.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
Bosch recommend storing the battery between 0-20degC, ideally at a constant room temp of 20, and between 30-60% charge for best battery life.

2m is the maximum overrun an ebike can have by EU regs. I'm not sure if this is dependant on speed though. The standard Gen 4 feels like you get about 0.5-1 second.
Ouch, my garage never freezes, but the 20C top range hurts... We hit 40C regularly in the summer here in California... 20C is about 68F.

Zave

Jul 27, 2022
Surrey England
What is the sizing on the 2023 v 2022. I tried a 2022 in XL, it was too big.

2023 has same reach in L as last years XLat 580 reach. But angles are different.

Current bike is 450 reach but more trail, less enduro angles

I'm 5'10 long legged.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
What is the sizing on the 2023 v 2022. I tried a 2022 in XL, it was too big.

2023 has same reach in L as last years XLat 580 reach. But angles are different.

Current bike is 450 reach but more trail, less enduro angles

I'm 5'10 long legged.
At 5'10" I would personally suggest a new large frame, unless you prefer the feel of a smaller bike.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I thought that at first - but then noticed the fork and shock are only the 'Performance' level. Maybe things have changed, but I once bought a bike with 'Performance' (ie bottom of the range) level forks - they were terrible. Never again!
The Fox 'Performance elite' range have the same internals as fox 'Factory' less the kashima, so essentially the same as the top of the range in all but looks.

Edit - corrected above - I should know that as have the Elite's on my Decoy/

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022
United Kingdom
The Fox 'Performance' range have the same internals as fox 'Factory' less the kashima, so essentially the same as the top of the range in all but looks.
Performance elite, the performance just hast a a grip damper and the elite has the grip2.
Ridden all 3 would not pay through my nose for the elite or the factory.

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
The Fox 'Performance' range have the same internals as fox 'Factory' less the kashima, so essentially the same as the top of the range in all but looks.
As said above, that's incorrect. It's 'Performance Elite' that are the same as 'Factory', less the Kashima.

'Performance' are a level (or in my experience, more!) down.

Mar 10, 2022
United Kingdom
My wives Canyon spectral:eek:n has a Rockshox Yari tbh. It's enough for for around here I would love to see something like that specced on the Orbea bikes. The 35 forks are in my opinion a throw away part on a bike that is this capable.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne

From 20.8KG
Brilliant review video Rob! Looks like the right direction for full fat ebikes. Lighter, bigger battery range & well integrated controls. Orbea bikes look good too! I did laugh a bit now that Bosch have finally managed to do a neat handlebar control - something Specialized have had for more than 5 years!! A bit out of my price point though!!! So I'll just stick to my 2018 Kenevo for now!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles