Review 5.10 Trailcross GTX (Goretex)

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
Perfect, I’m in Leeds next to LUBP as it happens :), defo up for getting out for some action!

Love Peak District, proper stuff there! My range extender comes tomorrow too so be handy in attempting to keep up with any FF guys ?
Good man we’re out this Sunday if you want to make 1 pm me cheers

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
See above….
My anxiety and unwillingness to use online chat to haggle such a deal knows no bounds.

so i took the 20% offer and just got them anyway. If they fit i'll stash them away until it is actually wet enough to justify having them as they don't look the easiest to take off on a regular basis.

As for LUBP, i might be up that way but it's that or potentially a secret enduro/downhill session a group has organised. Weather will play a part in the decision.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
My anxiety and unwillingness to use online chat to haggle such a deal knows no bounds.

so i took the 20% offer and just got them anyway. If they fit i'll stash them away until it is actually wet enough to justify having them as they don't look the easiest to take off on a regular basis.

As for LUBP, i might be up that way but it's that or potentially a secret enduro/downhill session a group has organised. Weather will play a part in the decision.

no haggle just explained, for some that code was still working. I could have managed to get them for £85 if I’d have remembered to use Quidco and also even less had I redeemed some cash back to an adidas gift card +8%, I should cancel and redo it all but then I’m just signing up a Halfords trade card to see what the 30% discounts apply too and they do a similar credit bonus too

Any of you chaps fancy Stainburn at 4pm any day or anytime on Friday?

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
Fit n feel ??

image.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Adidas are the only marketing email I subscribe too, simply because from time to time they offer crazy discount codes. I picked up some Freerider Pros about 18 months ago for 60% off with a “one day only” code they sent me.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Sealskinz AND normal socks? Really?

Why would you wear sealskinz when the boots have a Gore-Tex Lining? It doesn't make any sense to me. It's like wearing a waterproof hoodie under your waterproof coat.

hainman

Apr 8, 2021
Glasgow
Having never used Goretex and the shoe only being ankle height then chances are yer feet ain’t staying dry long are they
First puddle and the shoe is full of water
Goretex ain’t going to keep yer feet dry if water gets in down the BIG hole ye put yer feet in

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Having never used Goretex and the shoe only being ankle height then chances are yer feet ain’t staying dry long are they
First puddle and the shoe is full of water
Goretex ain’t going to keep yer feet dry if water gets in down the BIG hole ye put yer feet in

Then how is the BIG hole in your fancy socks gonna help? Are they magic? Or do they go all the way up to your crotch?

Or is it that the BIG hole is filled by your BIG leg which then keeps the water out?

When it's really wet, I tend to wear long trousers, but you may be different. It's all good.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
mine arrived today. the 9.5 is actually a little bigger than i expected but the intention was to save these for colder days with thicker socks anyway.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You wear waterproof socks because the exposed area on normal sock gets soaked and then the water travels down into the shoe.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
You wear waterproof socks because the exposed area on normal sock gets soaked and then the water travels down into the shoe.

how is this a even a discussion? ?

and actually some sealskinz have a hydrostop taping which stops water ingress so yes you can jump in a river if you choose and have a good chance of not filling them up, unless you are dopey and stand in it for too long

also socks in sealskinz isnt a new thing, some advise it helps wick sweat from your foot (thin ones), I’ve tried it both ways and haven’t found problems either way, by the end I’m happy, dry/wet/muddy/bruised xyz

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK
I don’t get this. If you are wearing sealskinz then surely you can wear any favourite shoe that’s not waterproof and just dry them out after the ride?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
When riding in winter conditions there are two factors, getting wet and getting cold.

You can ride a normal shoe with sealskins or similar, but once it gets wetted out it becomes heavy, and also if riding in the winter cold very quickly.

for me I don’t actually mind getting my feet wet, but what kills a ride is freezing toes.

also in the winter I will offten ride multiple days in a row, so having a shoe that can back to business without having to be left to dry out for ages is a real bonus.

Last edited:

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
It's weird. I look in their size chart and for my 28,8cm foot ( i wear size 45 usual ) them said that i must buy 11,5 uk size, 46,5 size eu. And if i will buu 10,5 (my 45 size) , i measure the foot and it's smaler. I don't want to pay 20 euros shipping and double this with the return. So what is the right size ?

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
It's weird. I look in their size chart and for my 28,8cm foot ( i wear size 45 usual ) them said that i must buy 11,5 uk size, 46,5 size eu. And if i will buu 10,5 (my 45 size) , i measure the foot and it's smaler. I don't want to pay 20 euros shipping and double this with the return. So what is the right size ?

I own several adidas shoes and orderd them in the size I have all of them and the fit is the same. You could go and try any adidas and order the size that fits you or go half a size up if you plan to use thicker socks

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I went 1/2 a size bigger and with normal socks they are too tight. I'm returning them for a larger size.

My EPS Freerider Pros are a full size bigger and still tight in the toe area.

My concern is I won't be able to wear thick winter socks without ending up with clown shoes.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Here’s my first impressions…

I’m a Raynaud’s syndrome sufferer, which means I suffer from cold extremities (fingers / toes), so getting a decent pair of warm dry shoes is essential.
I used to have a pair of Northwave GTX boots when I rode SPDs… but I’ve been using flat pedals for the last 18 months.
Last year, I sent a pair of Shimano SW7 boots to LSR to have a 5:10 dotty sole fitted to them in order to have a waterproof warm pair of boots with good grip. They work ok, but the water would get in through the ‘flap’ and I’d still end up with wet feet.

Last week someone shared a 30% coupon for Adidas, and mentioned the Trailcross GTX boots. For £105, it seemed rude not to try them out.

I’ve got 2 pairs of 5:10’s already (pre Adidas), and they’re both a full size bigger than my regular shoe size (8.5). I ordered the Trailcross GTX in a 1/2 and a full size bigger - as Adidas offer free returns.

Quick delivery - they arrived just 3 days after ordering. A size 9 was fine if I was just wearing normal socks, but felt really tight in my Sealskinz… and the 9.5 was fine in the Sealskinz, but feels a bit loose in my regular socks. I figured I wanted these for winter, so I’d mainly be wearing them with thicker socks… so stuck with the 9.5’s.
The opening to get your feet in is through a neoprene cuff - which is really tight. Time will tell whether this lasts or eventually rips.

Although it’s nowhere near winter today, it’d been raining most of yesterday. I thought the trails might be a bit soggy, so a good time to test out the Trailcross GTX. It was about 18degC, so I went out in shorts / T-shirt / and a regular pair of bike socks - which sat just above the top of the boots.

First impressions were the Trailcross were really grippy. Much grippier than my Shimano / 5:10 sole hybrid boots. I think this is because my Shimano boots have a really hard sole, but the Trailcross are a bit softer. They felt pretty comfy too. If anything, they were too grippy with my HT ME03T pedals, as I was struggling to ‘adjust’ my foot on the pedal without having to lift it fully off and re-position. As the ride went on and the soles got wet, this became a bit easier.

I rode about a mile of roads to get to the trails, and then about 15 miles of trails. They were mainly damp, with some puddles and sludgy bits. As I cycled, I was getting splashes off the front wheel, and by the end of the ride - I was pretty dirty.
Not clarted in thick dirt like I’ve been in the past, but a film of dirty spots.
Compared to my legs, the boots looked pretty clean! Perhaps the water coming off the front wheel was cleaning the boots?!

By the end of the ride, I felt like my feet were soaked. When removing the boots, one foot was soaked and the other was pretty damp. The insides of the boots were visibly wet, and they felt like someone had poured water in them.

Now…
Did the boots leak, or did the tops of my socks get wet and soak right the way down?
After the ride, I washed the bike, and the hosed the boots down. I was concerned that the ‘grid’ type pattern on the toes would hold onto the dirt… but they cleaned up well.
They’re now on my boot drier getting dried before they stink of damp!!

Once the shoes are dry, I’ll have to experiment with them to see if they’re letting in water. I saw a guy doing a review of these boots who had his feet in a basin of water and his didn’t leak… so I’ll give that a try.
If that’s ok, then my next ride will be with socks lower than the neoprene ankle gator!!
If they leak during the basin test, then I’ll be getting in contact with Adidas to see about getting them swapped over.

B5DCB544-284A-4BF9-B08D-45544A2EF580.jpeg

FEAC34D7-CE9B-41F8-9BBA-8CB3C94920FF.jpeg

753DA371-C6C4-43C5-B075-09C35FD24B67.jpeg

3F3B3FA4-B286-4548-B1CC-85405D4DBD13.jpeg

73FF752E-EEAA-41DC-BA49-82DA0962B8FA.jpeg

DCEDBABA-FC8C-42E7-B56B-6B45F4ECD638.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles