Review 5.10 Trailcross GTX (Goretex)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Product name: 5.10 Trailcross GTX (Goretex)
Price paid: 150
Score (out of 10): 9

First thoughts are ‘wait did adidas just make an awesome 5.10???’

The original mid version I owned had d30 pads in but after my ‘don’t put in the washer’ test the pads fell out and I sent it back for a refund from Adidas direct…..

It fits bang on size like the older versions. I’m 10.5 or a 45eu, it has an Integrated neoprene debris guard at the ankle that is well padded and will offer protection. It also features a toe overlay for added protection. Out the box it feels way more solid than the original.

It also has a pull release on the rear and a substantial Velcro strap on the side, it’s very well thought out and getting in and out is a breeze unlike maybe other shoes with this feature!

I honestly couldn’t believe my luck when I saw gtx trailcross, it’s IMO the best 5.10 to convert, it’s not as protective as the impact or as casual as a freerider pro but it is the best balance of all worlds and I think the only waterproof 5.10 available

Stocks will be limited currently and I’m not sure on when they will be available after this batch flys off the shelves

ps you’ll see my impact pros for sale shortly which are still brand new untouched in the box from ages back!

I docked a point due to the high price and the build had a few sloppy build issues like residual glue or the odd imperfection, nothing major or of concern but still…

00DEE754-F255-41D9-8E36-CCDC17663402.jpeg
E5580E0D-9315-4399-9770-9F031B1D7E11.jpeg
D4B4CEA9-3BED-4981-BB51-4595014DE54A.jpeg
87C26E89-CAD3-4EF0-96DF-20B112C0332D.jpeg
7B6ACE8B-7B4C-4462-8E14-166273C0B895.jpeg

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
When you say older versions, do you mean pre-Adidas? I have post-Adidas 5-10s and had to go up a whole size and they're still a bit tight with Sealskinz.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I have the same (non waterproof) version and are a royal pain in the arse to get on and off but the grip and comfort are amazing.
If they are now waterproof and that velcro opening allows better actual wearing, i'm sold.

How wet have you got them? or are they still using the cullender technique to allow water in and out?

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I've been waiting for ages for these to be released.
I've just sent back a size 8 to Tweeks there was a little bubble of material inside the toe area that rubbed and they were a little snug.
I've reordered in 8.5 from Leisure Lakes
I have the same (non waterproof) version and are a royal pain in the arse to get on and off but the grip and comfort are amazing.
If they are now waterproof and that velcro opening allows better actual wearing, i'm sold.

How wet have you got them? or are they still using the cullender technique to allow water in and out?
They seem to be pretty waterproof according to this video:
Water testing starts at around 6:30

Last edited:

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I use the normal trail cross as a summer shoe. They are great

I’d imagine these will be awesome for winter trail centre and Surrey hill riding but my only point would be any riding that envolves some off bike pushing in mud, they will be useless for grip.

I tend to wear my goretex trail shoes (for hiking) in winter for this reason.

but these will be purchased at some point I’m sure ??

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

That video shows how watertight they are, it’s impressive! They get on and off super easy, I might add speed laces, I do love a good speed lace! Buy them…

When you say older versions, do you mean pre-Adidas? I have post-Adidas 5-10s and had to go up a whole size and they're still a bit tight with Sealskinz.

Post adidas was one I owned prior, I think the size offered 3/4 inch on top of your size where 1/2 inch is perfect, I’ve not measured but felt good enough with thin socks on and with bigger would be spot on.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I've got the regular low-top Trailcross and love it. They're cool in summer heat and I don't feel like a refugee from a skate park.

The one thing I'm not so keen on is the right sole has a spot at the mid-foot about the size of a quarter that looks very chewed up after nine months of use. My Freeriders are more than four years old and both soles look fine.

Juan Messa

Jun 12, 2020
South east
I’ve a pair of regular LT Trailcross and feel they have the basis of a great multi use shoe but both of mine have split where the toe protection ends with not a great deal of use . Well made perhaps but the material isn’t really good enough for mtb .

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
grrr...
8.5 arrived..
8.5 being returned because there's another bubble of material in the toes that rubs.

[edit] Alex at Leisure Lakes went above and beyond to help.
He went to check the shoes in stock and confirmed a number of them have this bubble of material in the toes.
He has found me a pair without and I have ordered them.

Last edited:

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Finally got a pair of these with no faults inside, thanks to Alex at Leisure Lakes.

Can anyone recommend a pair of elastic/lock laces with a good strong quick release clip please?
I'd like to try them in these boots to keep the laces out of the way. I've never had a pair before, but seems there are some with weak clips.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Can anyone recommend a pair of elastic/lock laces with a good strong quick release clip please?
I'd like to try them in these boots to keep the laces out of the way. I've never had a pair before, but seems there are some with weak clips.

Adidas and Salomon has something. Just wondering how long the shoelace eyelets withstand thinner lace like in Salomon quicklace.

adidas SPEED LACE REPLACEMENT KIT, Black
Product number: 16A-ADS-Z36895-BLACK

Salomon QUICKLACE KIT

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Adidas and Salomon has something. Just wondering how long the shoelace eyelets withstand thinner lace like in Salomon quicklace.

adidas SPEED LACE REPLACEMENT KIT, Black
Product number: 16A-ADS-Z36895-BLACK

Salomon QUICKLACE KIT

good shout I was kinda thinking about this…..

btw if you want these cheap buy them quick £105……..

65TT-73FC-3DXL-9PDC7 on the adidas site

Bazzer

Sep 19, 2020
Skipton
Two outings with these. They are great and a game changer for flats. Last winter was awful, trying to make over shoes work and or bulky boots - these should transform these.
Great fit , less feel than standard trailcross but it’s a boot with more layers so to be expected.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Sign up to their emails when printed on the Adidas website and you automatically get 20% off with a code they send you

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
All be testing them Sunday for sure after all I live in the uk and it rains at some point every day ?

Nice mate, whereabouts are you? I’m just working on scaling down my heavy duty clobber atm, love the look of anything endura mt500. You’ll not be disappointed, amazing grip, still not quite enough to dig in when I’m a sticky situation vs gravity and trying to push a bike up steep slippy crap but better than the other 510s

you don’t need just rain either, always puddles xyz

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
Nice mate, whereabouts are you? I’m just working on scaling down my heavy duty clobber atm, love the look of anything endura mt500. You’ll not be disappointed, amazing grip, still not quite enough to dig in when I’m a sticky situation vs gravity and trying to push a bike up steep slippy crap but better than the other 510s

you don’t need just rain either, always puddles xyz
West Yorkshire ride peak most weekends welcome to join if your not 2 far of all my gear is endura good quality and always had 5/10 best shoe to pedal for me ??

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
West Yorkshire ride peak most weekends welcome to join if your not 2 far of all my gear is endura good quality and always had 5/10 best shoe to pedal for me ??
Perfect, I’m in Leeds next to LUBP as it happens :), defo up for getting out for some action!

Love Peak District, proper stuff there! My range extender comes tomorrow too so be handy in attempting to keep up with any FF guys ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles