Kenevo Gen1 29er Front and Rear Kenevo

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
That price is crazy for those wheels, which IMO are the best hoops you can get for an EMTB irrespective of material and price. I might buy a set and I don’t even have a 29’r 😂

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
I will fit the ebike Fox 38 - damper is slightly different but the regular 38 is decent too! 44 offset.

Shock is fine no need to change to fit a 29er on the rear.

I’m using these wheels which right now are an absolute bargain;

How do you like the Nukeproof horizon wheels?

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Rob...did you fit the Fox 38 yet? If so please fill us in on the ride and handling details when you get a chance.

I have not yet fitted my Fox 38 as I first must do an oil service and swap in the 180mm air shaft. I did fit an EXT Storia Lok 3 with a 500lb spring and it feels great so far. I have not yet taken it out for a proper ride with the EXT rear shock though but I will report back when I do. Bike still has the front Boxxer stock set up as shown below in the photos. I plan on setting the Kenevo up full 29er front and rear with a Fox 38, E-bike Damper, and 44mm offset fork in the front and the EXT Storia 62.5mm shock in the rear. I have not yet procured the offset bushing as they are closed until sometime in August.

Regarding cockpit setup for the 29er Kenevo, what stem length do you guys think would provide similar steering handling to the stock boxxer with its 45mm direct mount stem when used with the Fox 38, 44mm offset fork? See my concerns below:

I plan to use the 35mm OneUp carbon bar, 35mm rise but don't know what length stem to purchase. I know stem length will affect reach but I am not so concerned with that. I am more concerned with how stem length affects understeer or oversteer handling characteristics of the Kenevo. I'm looking for some input on stem length from riders familiar with using a Fox 38 with the 44mm offset on the Kenevo. In general I feel that a 50mm stem may tend to contribute to oversteer and a shorter stem around 40mm or 35mm may make the bike more prone to understeer. I may just have to break down and buy 3 new stems and try them all.

There are some informative videos on stem length and handle bar width by Brian Cahal. There is also a video where he performs timed runs with different rear shock spring rates and a 50mm stem. Check the videos out to see what I'm talking about.

Photos below of my new Kenevo with the EXT Storia Lok 3 Installed:

PXL_20220725_181138021.jpg

PXL_20220725_181214397.jpg

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Rob...did you fit the Fox 38 yet? If so please fill us in on the ride and handling details when you get a chance.

I have not yet fitted my Fox 38 as I first must do an oil service and swap in the 180mm air shaft. I did fit an EXT Storia Lok 3 with a 500lb spring and it feels great so far. I have not yet taken it out for a proper ride with the EXT rear shock though but I will report back when I do. Bike still has the front Boxxer stock set up as shown below in the photos. I plan on setting the Kenevo up full 29er front and rear with a Fox 38, E-bike Damper, and 44mm offset fork in the front and the EXT Storia 62.5mm shock in the rear. I have not yet procured the offset bushing as they are closed until sometime in August.

Regarding cockpit setup for the 29er Kenevo, what stem length do you guys think would provide similar steering handling to the stock boxxer with its 45mm direct mount stem when used with the Fox 38, 44mm offset fork? See my concerns below:

I plan to use the 35mm OneUp carbon bar, 35mm rise but don't know what length stem to purchase. I know stem length will affect reach but I am not so concerned with that. I am more concerned with how stem length affects understeer or oversteer handling characteristics of the Kenevo. I'm looking for some input on stem length from riders familiar with using a Fox 38 with the 44mm offset on the Kenevo. In general I feel that a 50mm stem may tend to contribute to oversteer and a shorter stem around 40mm or 35mm may make the bike more prone to understeer. I may just have to break down and buy 3 new stems and try them all.

There are some informative videos on stem length and handle bar width by Brian Cahal. There is also a video where he performs timed runs with different rear shock spring rates and a 50mm stem. Check the videos out to see what I'm talking about.

Photos below of my new Kenevo with the EXT Storia Lok 3 Installed:

View attachment 93243
View attachment 93244
I’m totally loving my Kenevo 29.
Sadly my Fox 38 has been stuck at UK Customs for 8 days. Hopefully soon. I do have a demo EXT E-Storia on the way to test though!

I tried a 35mm stem but didn’t like it, went to 50mm and a 38mm Burgtec Ride High bar.

Also running dual Cannibal tyres. Bike is absolutely bombing down the chunk!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
For me, stem length dictated weight over the front wheel more than under / over steer. With 35mm and 9mm backsweep bars I found it tough to weight the front.

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
I’m totally loving my Kenevo 29.
Sadly my Fox 38 has been stuck at UK Customs for 8 days. Hopefully soon. I do have a demo EXT E-Storia on the way to test though!

I tried a 35mm stem but didn’t like it, went to 50mm and a 38mm Burgtec Ride High bar.

Also running dual Cannibal tyres. Bike is absolutely bombing down the chunk!
Thanks for the reply. I'll go ahead and try the 50mm stem first.

Regarding the Cannibal tires, are you using the Grid Gravity , "dual" ply T9 tires or the "dual" compound T7/T9?

How did you like the Continental Kryptotal tires?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Thanks for the reply. I'll go ahead and try the 50mm stem first.

Regarding the Cannibal tires, are you using the Grid Gravity , "dual" ply T9 tires or the "dual" compound T7/T9?

How did you like the Continental Kryptotal tires?
Grid Gravity T9 front and rear.
Kryptotal are good, not blown away by them. Compound is good, similar to Schwalbe in terms of feel (to me anyway) and casing is alright, but already dinged a rim on them with 25psi (fairly high for me in a DH casing tyre). Fairly square profile / shape...

Compound on MaxxGrip / T9 / Wild Enduro Racing Line seems softer, more supple and stickier, casings just as good.

D4B68C8D-0358-4478-87B6-F6AF2C98F5BD.jpeg

51B3C0CC-CE6B-4837-8058-07BBA9C97149.jpeg

Sweatyhogg

Jul 1, 2022
Aus
Hey guys, just making sure i have my parts list correct for when bike gets back from the dealer (oops motor go bye in 26km)..
What headset parts will I need to swap from boxxers to the Zeb?
I've got a 50mm stem, burgtec 38mm bars, hx1501 wheels, gx cassette and accidentally purchased gx axs on a ripper sale ($680aud).

amichaelf

Jul 26, 2022
Chile
Hi everyone! Greeting from Chile 🇨🇱. Want to share with you my new S4 Kenevo Expert 29er. This forum was very helpful for ideas for this custom project. Coming from a S4 3rd Gen Levo Comp Alloy so looking forward to check the differences in the coming weeks.

Upgrades out the box:
RS Boxxer Ultímate 29 lowers
E13 LG1 30mm rima w/hope pro4 hubs
Schwalbe gravity Eddy front / Big Betty Rear
Technomouse rim insets
Magura MT5 brakes w/ Lois Bruni Levers
Protect Motor Bash Guard
One up Carbon bars
Ergon GD1 Evo Grips
Sram 34t chainring
Zefal crank boots
Complete 3M film on frame and suspension lowers

With this setup weight is 25.7 kg

Upgrades to check:
Shock: Have Megneg RS Super deluxe Ultimate 230x62.5 and a Marzocchi CR w/ Cane Creek Prog Spring (for the comments I think I will sell it for another Coil like Ohlins TTX or EXT E-Storia. Maybe Fox X2. May see later after coil )
35mm stem (5’11 so to keep it as short as possible)
0 offset crowns to reduce 56mm fork offset to 46mm as was original with 27.5 lowers.

Hope this setup will be great for free ride DH mountain trails I do most. Hope also better than Gen3 Levo, that is a great bike also by the way!

Thanks for your time for my first post.

79A98298-98D3-4D30-B96B-42C3B40DFDFB.jpeg
3756AD31-1553-488B-9E49-E9411B78D723.jpeg
551D409F-8802-4CD2-84BE-2410F2F00ADD.jpeg

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
0 offset crowns to reduce 56mm fork offset to 46mm as was original with 27.5 lowers.

The 0 offset crowns interest me. I've looked into it as 56mm offset seems excessive these days. I'm sure when the new boxxers get released they won't have such a large offset.
Concerned about loosing steering lock though with the kenevos fat downtube, do you notice this?
I'm hoping the 0 crowns would reduce low speed steering instability. They are hard to get hold of though and quite expensive.

amichaelf

Jul 26, 2022
Chile
Is this the one required? $200 on Ebay..

The Kenevo OEM Crown 27.5 is 10mm Offset. There´s also a flat crown available..

boxxer.JPG

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Hello amichaelf.....Was the boxxer ultimate fork you purchased set to 56 mm offset instead of 46 mm for some reason?

It looks like you can get the 29er and 27.5 boxxer forks both in 46 mm offset direct from rock shocks.

amichaelf

Jul 26, 2022
Chile
Hello amichaelf.....Was the boxxer ultimate fork you purchased set to 56 mm offset instead of 46 mm for some reason?

It looks like you can get the 29er and 27.5 boxxer forks both in 46 mm offset direct from rock shocks.

Hi! The fork came with the 2022 Expert set OEM 27.5 w/ 46mm offset. So the original crowns are 10mm offset. I purchased aftermath the 29 lowers and the damper. If the OEM fork would had been set with 0 offset crowns the 27.5 offset would been 36mm and 46mm on 29er. That would saved all this and really think would been a better spec as bike is stable for its long wheelbase out of the box. It’s a shame but it’s only my humble opinion. Bike still awesome as it is! Could also buy some single crown fork with reduced offset and save some weight but I want to try the stiffness and feel of the DH spec fork for my type of riding.

amichaelf

Jul 26, 2022
Chile
Had anyone tried RS Super Deluxe Ultimate w/Megned and Fox X2 Factory Air shocks? Aprreciate your feedback how they both feel and compare. Thanks!

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
I have the x2 and it's a huge step up from stock shock. It's better at everything. MegNeg is more of a air spring bandaid. If you want a better more linear spring then it's better than stock.

amichaelf

Jul 26, 2022
Chile
Had the chance to buy a cheap and almost new RS SD Ult w/Magneg 230x62.5. Selling oem SD plus. Still looking for a Coil. Had anyone tried the MRP Hazzard? It claims to have a 14mm dia shaft and reinforced eyelets.

ED61EC00-2D51-4A61-A36B-5A623143AC9D.jpeg

93FA7B3E-9587-45CF-AFFC-2B6C905A5CCB.jpeg

Last edited:

amichaelf

Jul 26, 2022
Chile
Hi @Rob Rides EMTB. Really amazing bike! Enjoying mine too! :)

How is that EXT EStoria Shock handling? I´, searching for a coil alternative (Now testing SD Ultimate w/Megneg) and the short list goes: Push, EXT, Ohlins (Reserching on MRP).

Thanks for yout feedback and continue enyoing your new ride!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi @Rob Rides EMTB. Really amazing bike! Enjoying mine too! :)

How is that EXT EStoria Shock handling? I´, searching for a coil alternative (Now testing SD Ultimate w/Megneg) and the short list goes: Push, EXT, Ohlins (Reserching on MRP).

Thanks for yout feedback and continue enyoing your new ride!
I've had the original Rock Shox (average at best), the 2022 Fox X2 (much better) but this thing comes alive with the EXT, floats through the travel in a composed way and incredible damped sensation over the terrain, but with enough rebound to pop and jump easily. It really has transformed the bike..

Hydraulic Bottom Out works a treat, can just feel a gentle bottom out on bigger compressions to flat etc. I need to play with HSC and probably go up 25lb from the 500 to 525 (83KG body weight, 85KG ish with kit).

The Cannibal tyres are extremely good in this T9 DH compound, 24 psi and really suit the bike.

The final piece goes on tomorrow, my 180mm Fox Factory e-Tuned (my favourite fork) so will pretty much be complete.

I still cant get rid of this annoying rattle though, stuffed the top tube with more bubblewrap today and its still there!

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I've had the original Rock Shox (average at best), the 2022 Fox X2 (much better) but this thing comes alive with the EXT, floats through the travel in a composed way and incredible damped sensation over the terrain, but with enough rebound to pop and jump easily. It really has transformed the bike..

Hydraulic Bottom Out works a treat, can just feel a gentle bottom out on bigger compressions to flat etc. I need to play with HSC and probably go up 25lb from the 500 to 525 (83KG body weight, 85KG ish with kit).

The Cannibal tyres are extremely good in this T9 DH compound, 24 psi and really suit the bike.

The final piece goes on tomorrow, my 180mm Fox Factory e-Tuned (my favourite fork) so will pretty much be complete.

I still cant get rid of this annoying rattle though, stuffed the top tube with more bubblewrap today and its still there!
When did the rattle start?

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Rob... I doubt this is it but here goes. If you have never had an EXT shock before, there is a tiny ball type check valve inside the shock that clicks even at the slightest movement of the shock. You get used to it and don't even notice it after a while but EXT says they don't artificially make their shocks to be quiet as it would make performance suffer.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Rob... I doubt this is it but here goes. If you have never had an EXT shock before, there is a tiny ball type check valve inside the shock that clicks even at the slightest movement of the shock. You get used to it and don't even notice it after a while but EXT says they don't artificially make their shocks to be quiet as it would make performance suffer.
Thanks for this- yes the EXT is definitely a little noisy. The rattle has been there since I got the bike and appears with other shocks also 👍👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles