Geas

Jun 24, 2022
Austria
This is what the calculator gave me

Stock vs. Fox 38 (180mm) Mullet

1656660341109.png

Stock vs. Fox 38 (180mm) 29 f/r

1656660429591.png

Just did the first test ride on the 29 f/r setup yesterday and can really confirm what has been reported here already: it's fast like hell!

I expected there will be some modifications of my position on the bike needed as geometry changes quite a bite. But jumping on the bike it just felt right. When riding, the positive rolling effect of the 29er rear wheel was clearly noticeable on downhills. The whole setup now feels well balanced. Curious now on who it feels on tight switch backs - still need to test that.

I liked the mullet setup much more than the stock. But it's quite an extreme setup, not so easy to ride but a lot of fun. From my first impression yesterday, I feel like the 29er setup is easier to ride and faster. Let's see how it feels on the upcoming rides.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
How can the reach numbers change by changing the rear wheel ?
Edit oops , front wheel ?

A8E07FFC-D2BA-4B25-ABE0-4A9D129D1D37.png

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
This is what the calculator gave me

Stock vs. Fox 38 (180mm) Mullet

View attachment 91340

Stock vs. Fox 38 (180mm) 29 f/r

View attachment 91341

Just did the first test ride on the 29 f/r setup yesterday and can really confirm what has been reported here already: it's fast like hell!

I expected there will be some modifications of my position on the bike needed as geometry changes quite a bite. But jumping on the bike it just felt right. When riding, the positive rolling effect of the 29er rear wheel was clearly noticeable on downhills. The whole setup now feels well balanced. Curious now on who it feels on tight switch backs - still need to test that.

I liked the mullet setup much more than the stock. But it's quite an extreme setup, not so easy to ride but a lot of fun. From my first impression yesterday, I feel like the 29er setup is easier to ride and faster. Let's see how it feels on the upcoming rides.
Have you tried lowering the fork to 170mm to slightly compensate for the bigger wheel on the mullet ?

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
Ooohh errr…I too like a high stack height which is why at 6’ 2.5” (half does matter …he he) the 520 feels spot on and not too long by any means even with saddle down and in a more aggressive riding position.

Hope you enjoy it. Mine is beyond great. Just don’t have those light bling wheels to get weight down. I’m running some Spank 365s. Banger strong but a bit heavy.

Geas

Jun 24, 2022
Austria
How can the reach numbers change by changing the rear wheel ?
Edit oops , front wheel ?

Just imagine putting your bike vertically on the backwheel: reach goes towards zero as BB and Steerer Tube are more or less inline (vertically).

Have you tried lowering the fork to 170mm to slightly compensate for the bigger wheel on the mullet ?

Nope, not yet.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
Just imagine putting your bike vertically on the backwheel: reach goes towards zero as BB and Steerer Tube are more or less inline (vertically).

Nope, not yet.
I tried a 170 lyric on the front and it did run well however the Zeb 180 lifts front a bit, gives more support and with the offset bushing compensates for the longer A-C ….

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
First ride yesterday. This is possibly the best climbing ebike I've ridden. Its full 29er, Brose Motor, mega long travel and steep seat angle just get up anything!

Bike is pretty slack, with Zeb 180 and its axle to crown of 596mm, it must be under 63 degrees. I also noticed the Zeb runs high in its travel. I'm going to fit a Fox 38 that I think will work better. And also try it with flip chip in high.

BB height is pretty high, but at 33% sag its not too far off a 'standard' Spesh Enduro

Definitely need to play around more with bar height and geo.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
flip chip high.

Bike is absurdly capable. Seat angle is super steep and bike is around 62.5 head angle 😂Zeb axle to crown is 596mm on the 180 so hoping the Fox 38 will steepen it up slightly.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
Hi Rob....told you so ;-)...it's a hell of an all mountain bike.

I've found Zeb and 63 ish HA bang on...bear in mind the Kenevo can go 62.5 ?

Rear tyre no issues in mud crud or anything.

I'm also finding this to be one of if not the best MTB I've been on motor or not.

I like SRAM forks as have better off the top subtlety and good mid (charger) .

Fox can be a bit firm for me but I'm used to RS...

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Rob, please fill us in with more detail on your ride and handling impressions when you get a moment.
Its amazing. I have a ton of time on the Gen 3 levo and now have this to compare.

The rear suspension is better on this. Obviously its longer travel, but seems more sensitive off the top with more progression that the Gen 3 levo when using an air shock (I think air is important on this Kenevo as it loses progressivity at the end of the stroke, air helps it ramp up more).

The 22.9KG weight, its almost as light as my S-Works Carbon Levo!! Crazy right?! It basically is a super enduro long travel Levo, but full 29er.

It has the new Mastermind TCU, the same 700Wh battery, so all the features from the Gen 3 Levo too, other than adjustable geo.

On the geo, its slack. Like 62.5 degrees! But it doesn't feel too unwieldy, I put it in high position on the shock and it turns quick. BB is high (362mm) but a 180mm bike when sagged at 35% isnt too far off a Yeti / Kenevo SL, so its a non issue to me.

On this 180mm travel bike suspension set up is more important to dial. I am replacing the 2021 Zeb Ultimate with a Fox 38 as I prefer the Fox 38 (well, a sorted one anyway, some arrive not great!).

Its a shame that Specialized dont sell it (or make a 29er Kenevo). I think it'd be way way more popular than a 27.5 Kenevo with triple clamp fork. Thats too niche.

Last edited:

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
I agree with Rob. The air shock on mine was initially a concern as am used to coil. However after installing a slightly higher volume spacer on the X2 it started to offer both the preload, pop and mid support for cornering I was looking for. Also when taking hits soaks it up very well.

I too was amazed that Spesh haven't made a 29et turbo Kenevo. Maybe because they think it would compromise the Levo Gen 3.

My BB is 352 ish now. That's with the offset bushing; with 180mm travel and 25% sag gives a good feel both up and down ref pedal clearance and cornering.

I have run mullet, 27/27 and 29/29 over about 500 miles now and for all mountain non bike park riding the 29/29 is spot on. This on hand cut DH stuff and longer trips into the hills of South Wales.

Rob, you are very fortunate to get a frame only and with mastermind. That's one piece of kit I'd like on mine.

Downsides ? I'd like mine to be 1kg lighter like Robs but it's an S5 and running chunky Spank 365 wheels not svelte carbon numbers. I also don't scrimp on tyres either so MM heavier casing up front and back.

Mine is also no bike for tight twisty courses. Ok it covers them but at an ambling pace. Better for more open stuff.

What Rob says is spot on. Think the Kenevo Turbo has been decided as Speshs niche DH only bike. Marshall Mullen showed them what a Mullet version is like. Maybe if they see enough people experimenting successfully like this they will take note ?

Who knows. All I know is I'm not sponsored. It's all my own money. I have no brand allegiance. And I struggle to find fault with this bike. I'm no expert. I just ride and enjoy.

I've been on MTB for many many decades and this is real progression which helps riders enjoy their time even more.

Is that Zeb ultimate going spare Rob ;-)

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Thank you both for the excellent summary and detailed information. I'm 5'11" about 190 lbs with riding gear and I'm okay on a 475 reach Santa Cruz Nomad and on my Gen 2 Levo Large. I rode my buddy's gen 3 Levo size S4 and it felt long and sluggish when turning on tight switchbacks to me compared to my Gen 2 Large Levo.

Fit wise should I be looking for an S3 Kenevo or S4 if set up 29/29?

I found a brand new 2021 for a decent price ($6,999 for expert) but haven't found a 22 yet.

Is there much notable difference between the 22 and 21?

Thanks again I appreciate your valuable input.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
2021 and 22 basically the same.

With a longer bike you have to adapt technique. This means cranking the bike right over weight in outside pedal if an unsupported turn and look around corner more as bike will follow.

Takes a bit of time as you think you're cranking bike over but won't be. Best also to keep elbows out to allow this movement.

The only time it's sluggish is tight trees as you can't crank the bike over for risk of hitting said trees.

The numbers don't translate to feel. I'm just a smidge under 6'3" and a 520 reach on both emtb and non feels great due to steep seat angle...when peddling.

When riding it gives great cockpit space and allows you to also, as Rob has and I do more spacers under the bars to help with steeper stuff...

Hope this helps

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Quick questions for you guys:

What offset fox 38 should I try to source?

Do I need to source an "e-bike specific" fork or internals for the 38?

Is the stock rear Super deluxe shock sufficient to accomplish the 29/29 set up?

I'm going to try and source either Santa Cruz reserve or maybe Ibis 35 mm internal carbon wheels. My thinking on this is that the slightly wider 35 mm internal Ibis setup would round out the tire a little more than the Santa Cruz reserve wheels and maybe provide a tiny bit more clearance between the swingarm yoke and tire? Any thoughts on this?

Any suggestions for wheel set or shock alternatives to above?

What size offset bushing is needed for rear shock?

Thanks for the info I appreciate the guidance.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Quick questions for you guys:

What offset fox 38 should I try to source?

Do I need to source an "e-bike specific" fork or internals for the 38?

Is the stock rear Super deluxe shock sufficient to accomplish the 29/29 set up?

I'm going to try and source either Santa Cruz reserve or maybe Ibis 35 mm internal carbon wheels. My thinking on this is that the slightly wider 35 mm internal Ibis setup would round out the tire a little more than the Santa Cruz reserve wheels and maybe provide a tiny bit more clearance between the swingarm yoke and tire? Any thoughts on this?

Any suggestions for wheel set or shock alternatives to above?

What size offset bushing is needed for rear shock?

Thanks for the info I appreciate the guidance.

I will fit the ebike Fox 38 - damper is slightly different but the regular 38 is decent too! 44 offset.

Shock is fine no need to change to fit a 29er on the rear.

I’m using these wheels which right now are an absolute bargain;

Sweatyhogg

Jul 1, 2022
Aus
I just picked up these for my 29er project. Now to keep an eye out for some 38 performance elites on sale.

If I don't like the way it rides I can always use on my non-e spez enduro.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I just picked up these for my 29er project. Now to keep an eye out for some 38 performance elites on sale.

If I don't like the way it rides I can always use on my non-e spez enduro.
That is a great price. Did the wheels arrive yet? Never seen that particular wheelset, it looks like a photo of the carbon wheelset…

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
I‘m using Spank 35mm ID wheels no worries. Bought for £90 so even bigger bargain ;-)

As Rob has said shock (x2 Performance on mine) is fine for 29/29. For personal use and as I love to case jumps I put a slightly higher volume spacer in than the stock tune out of factory.

Splines are great wheels, very maintainable. Spesh used DT hubs and probably still do on some Transverse wheels sets.

Ref new mastermind, the only advantage I can see is ability to granulate power delivery to a greater degree than using MC ?

tbh I’m not sure Ebike specific forks are really that different. Any 38 Fork running 180 will be plenty stiff even on an Ebike, well I find that. Compared to the 35 Lyrics I ran less hand and arm fatigue using the Zeb on the longer 3 minute plus DH runs. A Zeb select is a fine fork.

Due to the new Zeb range that are out you can get banger deals on the Zebs at the moment. Select version, that I run and find super for around £570 ish.

In 29 they too (zebs) are generally 44 offset. Designers have been reducing offset from the original Fisher 51 ish to increase trail and stability. Not that this beast needs it but feels good.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles