Other 2108 Levo motor/connection problems

Nfrancis63

Jan 23, 2020
Harlow, Essex
I know there are lots of threads concerning motor failure and connection problems but I just thought I would share my experiences in case they may help someone with similar problems.

The motor cutting out was an ongoing problem which I solved temporarily by jamming bits of tin foil in the connectors to take up the slack of the worn pins, this seemed to work ok and got me out of trouble on a few occasions.

The next problem was when the motor started dragging when I back pedalled, this got worse very quickly so I called performance bearings and he advised which bearings I would need to cure the problem. A few days later they arrived and I stripped the motor, which was actually very easy to service and repair.

The main axle shaft was in good condition, but the two outer bearings were completely shot and needed replacing. I 3d printed a tool to get the correct spacing for the outer crankcase bearing and put it back together with no problems. The only problem I could foresee now was the belt, which was starting to split and not worth risking putting back.

I managed to source the belt from Gates, so I got 3 to cover for future failures, which in hindsight was a good decision. The belt tension was a problem, because the tool was really expensive and me thinking is it really that critical, I guessed and stripped the belt in two rides. Just by extensive searching I found a tool which is used to torque schraeder valves which is set to 0.25nm for £12, so I got that and tried another belt.

This time was more successful, with one modification, the peak power needed to be dialled down to 90% to stop it from slipping. I don't know whether the belt is slightly different or the tool is inaccurate but its really no bother to me.

After repairing the motor the connection problems came back and after a few weeks of trying to bodge it to get it working reliably, I decided to replace the connector on the battery. I found a company that sells them (€35), and ordered one. When it came I noticed the pins were longer so I am guessing that is to solve the connection problems, took battery apart and with a bit of soldering the connector was in and problem solved.

I hope this might help someone who has bearing issues or the connection problems, and they really are very simple things to solve if you have a bit of mechanical knowledge and the correct tools. I am happy to answer any questions, although I am not an expert I can point out the pitfalls of taking on these jobs for a diy project.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think the main problem is that you're using a motor from 90 years in the future.

Generally, it's accepted that shouldn't be a problem, but time travel can do weird things to some electronics and I think that's where your problem begins.

@Moderator can you paragraph that - it hurts my eyes ..

@Bearing Man ?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I know there are lots of threads concerning motor failure and connection problems but I just thought I would share my experiences in case they may help someone with similar problems. The motor cutting out was an ongoing problem which I solved temporarily by jamming bits of tin foil in the connectors to take up the slack of the worn pins, this seemed to work ok and got me out of trouble on a few occasions. The next problem was when the motor started dragging when I back pedalled, this got worse very quickly so I called performance bearings and he advised which bearings I would need to cure the problem. A few days later they arrived and I stripped the motor, which was actually very easy to service and repair. The main axle shaft was in good condition, but the two outer bearings were completely shot and needed replacing. I 3d printed a tool to get the correct spacing for the outer crankcase bearing and put it back together with no problems. The only problem I could foresee now was the belt, which was starting to split and not worth risking putting back. I managed to source the belt from Gates, so I got 3 to cover for future failures, which in hindsight was a good decision. The belt tension was a problem, because the tool was really expensive and me thinking is it really that critical, I guessed and stripped the belt in two rides. Just by extensive searching I found a tool which is used to torque schraeder valves which is set to 0.25nm for £12, so I got that and tried another belt. This time was more successful, with one modification, the peak power needed to be dialled down to 90% to stop it from slipping. I don't know whether the belt is slightly different or the tool is inaccurate but its really no bother to me. After repairing the motor the connection problems came back and after a few weeks of trying to bodge it to get it working reliably, I decided to replace the connector on the battery. I found a company that sells them (€35), and ordered one. When it came I noticed the pins were longer so I am guessing that is to solve the connection problems, took battery apart and with a bit of soldering the connector was in and problem solved. I hope this might help someone who has bearing issues or the connection problems, and they really are very simple things to solve if you have a bit of mechanical knowledge and the correct tools. I am happy to answer any questions, although I am not an expert I can point out the pitfalls of taking on these jobs for a diy project.
Great to hear that you got your bearings fitted ok, but I think you may have fitted the wrong type of belt? Gates do manufacture the genuine carbon Brose drive belt under licence to Brose but they will not sell one to anyone. However, they are quite happy to sell you a fibreglass strand belt. Same size, same colour (except the cords are lighter) but half as strong. I'm guessing the belt you bought costs around £8.00? The genuine carbon belt costs around £85.00. Just give me another shout at www.performancelinebearings.com if you need the right belt.

Nfrancis63

Jan 23, 2020
Harlow, Essex
Great to hear that you got your bearings fitted ok, but I think you may have fitted the wrong type of belt? Gates do manufacture the genuine carbon Brose drive belt under licence to Brose but they will not sell one to anyone. However, they are quite happy to sell you a fibreglass strand belt. Same size, same colour (except the cords are lighter) but half as strong. I'm guessing the belt you bought costs around £8.00? The genuine carbon belt costs around £85.00. Just give me another shout at www.performancelinebearings.com if you need the right belt.
Yes I guessed that by the difference in deflection and price of course. I made up a plate that emulates the crankcase so I could measure the tension on the original belt compared to the new one and it was different at the correct torque.
If this belt fails I might have to bite the bullet and fork out for a carbon one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles