2024 Strive:ON

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Nope.
I put Hope rotors on mine and wanted to go 220/220 so contacted Canyon and they advised the frame is only rated to 200mm so any issue would not be under warranty. Shame because the 200mm Hope rotors slightly rub on Shimano brakes but the 220mm up front doesn't.
Could you pop a washer in there just to raise the caliper a fraction?

Does anyone do a thicker rotor? I suspect that would be more useful than a larger one on the rear.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Could you pop a washer in there just to raise the caliper a fraction?

Does anyone do a thicker rotor? I suspect that would be more useful than a larger one on the rear.
Washer wouldn't make a difference unfortunately, the rivets on the Hope rotors rub on either the Shimano adaptor or the calliper depending on size, it's a well known issue and widely reported but just needs a millimetre filed off.

I had 200/200 on my previous eeb and the 220/200 on the Strive is a noticeable improvement so it's a shame it can't go 220/220.

Not sure on the performance gains of thicker rotors and to be honest I thought all rotors were 1.8mm thick? I know Hope do vented ones specifically for the V4 brake at 3.3mm thick but not sure on any brand that does thicker than 1.8mm?

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Washer wouldn't make a difference unfortunately, the rivets on the Hope rotors rub on either the Shimano adaptor or the calliper depending on size, it's a well known issue and widely reported but just needs a millimetre filed off.

I had 200/200 on my previous eeb and the 220/200 on the Strive is a noticeable improvement so it's a shame it can't go 220/220.

Not sure on the performance gains of thicker rotors and to be honest I thought all rotors were 1.8mm thick? I know Hope do vented ones specifically for the V4 brake at 3.3mm thick but not sure on any brand that does thicker than 1.8mm?
There are a lot of brands that make 2mm rotors, Magura, Galfer, Hayes, BBB,...more mass, better heat dissipation and less warping due to less heat, also not prone to bending like the 1,8 are...

hubertsk

May 24, 2023
Gdansk, Poland

Hey @Orbea QC, have you tried to fit a 200-mm Hope rotor on the back of the Strive:ON?
I was about to order those, but now that I've read about the clearance issues, I'm not so sure about it anymore.

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
I am on about 400 hassle free miles, only slight niggle I've had is the inconsistency of the ebike alarm unlocking. The bike itself has been an absolute dream.

On a separate note, has anyone tried a 590ml Fidlock bottle yet? I've got the 450ml and it fits comfortably but this unusual UK heat has got me wanting the 590ml which is 42mm longer.
View attachment 119061
The Peatys Fidlock bottle is slightly shorter in dimension for the 600ml: Peaty's x Fidlock Lockin Bottle (600ml)

hansfrans

Jun 28, 2020
Earth
Sure, but the brakes can only slow the bike so much before the tyre breaks traction. You could have a 4 inch disc or a 24 inch disc, but as long as they are both capable of locking the wheels the bigger one won't stop the bike any faster. It will, however, resist fade better due to the increased size of the disc. To stop faster you need to increase the traction of the tyres.

As such, tyres are the most important factor in stopping distances, not brakes... Unless the brakes are so weedy that they can't even lock a wheel up. (In which case they should be classed as faulty.)
Ok sure any break is capable of locking the wheels, but with smaller discs you will need much more manual force which is then harder to dose. So the larger disc needs less manual force for locking the wheel and that means the necessary level of force is reached faster, so the larger disc can be said to stop the bike faster (at the same level of manual force)

drocho

Nov 11, 2022
poland
There are a lot of brands that make 2mm rotors, Magura, Galfer, Hayes, BBB,...more mass, better heat dissipation and less warping due to less heat, also not prone to bending like the 1,8 are...
is thicker rotors (2mm and more) compatible with shimano calipers?

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Without research I'm not sure. I guess as long as the rotor will fit between the pads with the pistons fully retracted then it should be OK.

If you're not overheating your brakes then don't bother. You'd just be adding weight for no reason.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Hey @Orbea QC, have you tried to fit a 200-mm Hope rotor on the back of the Strive:ON?
I was about to order those, but now that I've read about the clearance issues, I'm not so sure about it anymore.
Yeah I've fitted a Hope 220 up front and 200 on the rear as direct replacements.

I'll get a picture of the 'rubbing'

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
I can confirm the 2mm is fine for the 4 pot XT, so probably SLX, XTR, Deore are also as there are no significant differences in calipers. I am running the Galfer rotors without any issues, but not on the Strive to be clear. Also I would not go any more than 2mm, as it's pretty finicky to setup, but once you nail it, the braking power with the right pads is immense.

Ghoetic

Jul 17, 2019
Sweden
waiting for mine, might arrive today but probably tomorrow, super excited. Going to be interesting to see if size is okay, had some wrist pain earlier so i bought an SQlabs bar with 16degree backsweep and 45mm rise, might mellow out the reach also if its feels a bit much.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Anyway, back to the Strive:ON... ;)
Yes a good idea.

On a separate note, has anyone tried a 590ml Fidlock bottle yet? I've got the 450ml and it fits comfortably but this unusual UK heat has got me wanting the 590ml which is 42mm longer.
I'll start by answering my own question...

The 590ml Fidlock bottle doesn't fit the size M frame, technically does fit but the cap is touching the shock so wouldn't advise it. I've got the Fidlock base as low as it'll go to. It's a shame I can't spin the lid the other way around as it'll likely fit then. Another option would be to get the bottle without the cap on, like the Peaty's one someone mentioned.

450ml vs 590ml
1688472473711.png
1688472636798.png

450ml on the bike:
1688472529383.png

590ml:
1688472580058.png

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Yes a good idea.

I'll start by answering my own question...

The 590ml Fidlock bottle doesn't fit the size M frame, technically does fit but the cap is touching the shock so wouldn't advise it. I've got the Fidlock base as low as it'll go to. It's a shame I can't spin the lid the other way around as it'll likely fit then. Another option would be to get the bottle without the cap on, like the Peaty's one someone mentioned.

450ml vs 590ml
View attachment 119450 View attachment 119453

450ml on the bike:
View attachment 119451

590ml:
View attachment 119452

btw, any info on bolt size (lenght)?

@Rob Rides EMTB
It would be nice to have a sticky post at the begining of the Strive Post, with this kind of information.

It could be added at later date:
Maximum tire size, maximum disc brake size, compatability components, etc...

Thanks!

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
btw, any info on bolt size (lenght)?

@Rob Rides EMTB
It would be nice to have a sticky post at the begining of the Strive Post, with this kind of information.

It could be added at later date:
Maximum tire size, maximum disc brake size, compatability components, etc...

Thanks!

Yeah sticky notes or pinned posts info would be very helpful as this threads fill up quickly. I'd actually answered this on page 11.

The bottle cage bolts are M5 x 15mm, I confirmed with Canyon and its also printed on the frame.
Bottle mount - finally sorted. I contacted Canyon and they confirmed the bolts are M5x15mm and it's also printed on the frame 🤦‍♂️ they were slightly baffled the bike didn't come with bolts but mine has Canyon branded plastic blanking plugs. I've fitted the fidlock mount at its lowest possible position with a 450ml bottle and I don't think there is enough room for the 590ml or bigger bottle but don't have a bottle to test it.

View attachment 116532

hubertsk

May 24, 2023
Gdansk, Poland
Yeah I've fitted a Hope 220 up front and 200 on the rear as direct replacements.

I'll get a picture of the 'rubbing'
So do they fit on the back without modifications? Cause I'm confused while those Hope rotors are laying in my shopping basket :)
Btw, have you tried 200 or 203mm at the back?

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
How are people finding riding with the speed limiter?

I've been used to an e8000 set to 32kmh for the last 3 years.
Am I going to regret going to a 25kmh restriction?
How easy is it to pedal above the limit?

I am aware of a project to derestrict but I'd probably keep it stock as it seems a faff and I don't want to lose the warranty

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
This brake chat is beyond boring now. Start a separate thread ffs
Alright, don't get your knickers in a twist. Last thing I said was I'm done explaining it.

Onward and upwards... Or downwards.

Did anyone figure out the best way to interact with the alarm? I don't want to play with it whilst the bike's in the house in case it decides to go off on the middle of the night.

Once you set it, does it tend to drain the battery much? Thinking of whether it's a good idea to leave it set in the bike shed, or if it's more just for protecting the bike whilst you're out?

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Alright, don't get your knickers in a twist. Last thing I said was I'm done explaining it.

Onward and upwards... Or downwards.

Did anyone figure out the best way to interact with the alarm? I don't want to play with it whilst the bike's in the house in case it decides to go off on the middle of the night.

Once you set it, does it tend to drain the battery much? Thinking of whether it's a good idea to leave it set in the bike shed, or if it's more just for protecting the bike whilst you're out?
Noooww... That's a good question!

Also, will it drain mobile phone battery faster than usual?
Wouldn't like to carry two phones on every long ride!

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Noooww... That's a good question!

Also, will it drain mobile phone battery faster than usual?
Wouldn't like to carry two phones on every long ride!
It shouldn't really drain your phone any more than any other Bluetooth device. My car unlocks with my phone and I've never noticed any excessive battery drain and it stays connected to the car all day sometimes when I'm out and about.

I'm more concerned about drain on the bike battery For example, if I don't get chance to ride for a month and put the bike away with 40% charge, will it be at 38% a month later, or completely flat?

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Alarm has a separate battery not sure if it even uses the ebike battery as mine was removed the other day yet alarm still went off.
Oh, wow. Didn't realise that. Time for some Googling I think. Be interesting to see if it's a rechargeable that recharges from the main battery, or if it's something that will need replacing intermittently. If it's the latter then probably a good idea to have some in stock.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
I think I remember reading it can last 8 days without the ebike battery connected and charges from the ebike battery so must be a minimal drain. I’m pretty sure it’s a coin battery like those found in car keys.

@Rob Rides EMTB will know.

501AM

May 10, 2023
Sweden
How are people finding riding with the speed limiter?

I've been used to an e8000 set to 32kmh for the last 3 years.
Am I going to regret going to a 25kmh restriction?
How easy is it to pedal above the limit?

I am aware of a project to derestrict but I'd probably keep it stock as it seems a faff and I don't want to lose the warranty

It's annoying on roads, but it's better than a stock EP8, because the Bosch has full assist until it just cuts it all out at ~26 km/h, compared to the EP8 were the assist already starts to decrease at ~22km/h and cuts it all at ~25km/h. It is for sure possible to pedal it above the limit on roads, but you feel the drag from both the tires and the motor so it's nothing you probably do any longer distances. But atleast you get a more powerful motor with the CX in a trade off for speed from the E8000/EP8.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I think I remember reading it can last 8 days without the ebike battery connected and charges from the ebike battery so must be a minimal drain. I’m pretty sure it’s a coin battery like those found in car keys.

@Rob Rides EMTB will know.
Thanks. 👍

@Rob Rides EMTB do you have the deets on this, or are you able to confirm with Bosch? Just curious how it works. There doesn't seem to be very much info on Bosch's website about the unit and how it's powered, other than saying it has a battery.

I'd hope it can last more than 8 days without the main battery, else that's going to get annoying when I inevitably don't get the chance to ride every week.
I love it as a feature though - should keep the bike that bit safer.

Out of interest are people insuring their bikes in general? Seems expensive to do so, but could save you...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles