2024 Strive:ON

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Why are people having to drill the magnet? I’m sure presta values have a standard dimensions. I’ve fitted a Peatys and two muc off values without needing to drill the magnet.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Why are people having to drill the magnet? I’m sure presta values have a standard dimensions. I’ve fitted a Peatys and two muc off values without needing to drill the magnet.
Because the magnet doesn't leave much valve exposed to put a pump on, so he drilled the magnet so the valve nut can sit lower, leaving more valve stem available for a pump.

hansfrans

Jun 28, 2020
Earth
As RJUK said I did for the valve nut, not the valve itself.
As I mentioned three posts above it probably is not necessary since it is possible to put pressure on the sealing ring with the magnet and fixing the magnet only with the valve nut on top of it.
In my case the tubeless setup (44mm muc off valves) is super air tight and inflatable.

bangy1

May 23, 2023
Aberdeen
Hello my CFR Underdog arrived today yay! I was wondering if anyone has ridden on the DB8 brakes and what was the opinion as I've heard they are not great, I'm gonna invisiframe it tomorrow or Wednesday then set it up with tyre inserts and tubeless.

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
Hello my CFR Underdog arrived today yay! I was wondering if anyone has ridden on the DB8 brakes and what was the opinion as I've heard they are not great, I'm gonna invisiframe it tomorrow or Wednesday then set it up with tyre inserts and tubeless.
Mine also arrived today. I wanted to get a feel for it and make sure it fitted me before I committed to setting up tubeless and fitting the invisiframe. The brakes were probably the biggest surprise. A few goes to bed in and they felt lovely. Nice modulation, good bite, smooth and silent. Feel better than the 4 pot xt’s on my jam 2 to be honest !!

bangy1

May 23, 2023
Aberdeen
Yeah I was unsure about the medium tbh but it compares well against my Santa cruz Hightower in large, any bigger and I think it would be too big

hansfrans

Jun 28, 2020
Earth
After breaking them in mine are really good. That big disc in the front sure helps too.

Hey all

Who bought a Stive in size Small?
I am 1m77, and i am pretty sure the size M will be to long for me
I honestly cannot believe it will be to long for you. I think you should go for S only if you really know you like small frames.

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
I went for a small. I'm 172cm. Bike fits me very well and similiar to my Focus Sam2 in size medium.
I went for a medium and my jam 2 is a medium and they feel fairly similar. I think the handlebars are wider on the strive and it clearly feels much slacker which makes the steering feel a bit boat like at the moment

Gropec

Dec 22, 2021
South of France
After breaking them in mine are really good. That big disc in the front sure helps too.

I honestly cannot believe it will be to long for you. I think you should go for S only if you really know you like small frames.
I currently have a tubo levo gen 3 in size S3, which is pretty much the same dimensions as the Stive in size small except the wheel base which is 2cm longer on the Strive.
Hard to decide without try or at least see the bike...., i love my levo in Size S3 but i hate the brose motor....

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Ride the bike, sort it out tire pressure/suspension setup and then plan changes.

DB8 have good power, good modulation and feel.
Only gripe is really disk/pad contact, but only noticed on tarmac sections.

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
A few random pics
IMG_6429.jpeg
IMG_6430.jpeg

Quite shocked how thin the battery housing is
IMG_6436.jpeg
IMG_6427.jpeg

Compared to my size medium focus jam 2, you can see how much I had to adjust my fork mount to fit in my van. Not much in it and assume majority is due to the extra 2.5 deg slack of the head angle
IMG_6440.jpeg

hansfrans

Jun 28, 2020
Earth
I currently have a tubo levo gen 3 in size S3, which is pretty much the same dimensions as the Stive in size small except the wheel base which is 2cm longer on the Strive.
Hard to decide without try or at least see the bike...., i love my levo in Size S3 but i hate the brose motor....
The taller wheelbase is because of the slacker head angle, so if everything else is close you probably will be happy with S. And with M too if you like a little more stability when standing but in the end the differences between two sizes are not that big.
On current Levos I felt ok from s4 to s6.
I almost never test rode the bikes I bought in my life :)

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
Same story to my comparison. I basically took the small based on this and that I’d prefer more agility

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
How is the underdog?

It looks sick in the photos
I won’t be able to give too much feedback yet. My 4 mile urban ride was generally positive.

All components are lovely, dropper nice, suspension lovely and plush, no rattles or clicks from anywhere so far. Deore shifter and mech probably the weakest link but can’t fault its function just looks a bit cheap on a bike that otherwise looks expensive.

I’m slightly worried the steering, feels a bit slow. Assume it’s due to the slack nature but assume I’ll adjust and find the benefits on the downs.

My focus was set to USA so 20mph and I found the 16mph cut off an absolute pain on road sections. Again hopefully won’t be an issue on the trails.

Biggest shock for me is the motor although natural feeling didn’t have the punch of my old Shimano e8000. I’ll judge properly after some trail miles but turbo (even with all settings to plus 5) definitely isn’t as punchy as boost on the Shimano. I never rode trails however in boost as it felt over the top whereas turbo does feel like it would work fine.

I’ll update the weekend once I hit the fun stuff

hansfrans

Jun 28, 2020
Earth
How is the Fox Float X on the Underdog Model?

Andy good?
Yes but also I don’t feel much differences in different rear shocks. Differences in forks I feel much, much more and I can say that the 38 rhythm is surprisingly solid and good too.
How is the underdog?

It looks sick in the photos
emoji7.png

From the rides I did so far I can say it is great both uphill and downhill. Especially downhill it gives lots of confidence and uphill it stays planted no matter how steep it gets.
It’s on its way to be the best bike I ever owned.
From my already very good first impression it only got better.
Post in thread '2024 Strive:ON'
2024 Strive:ON

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Biggest shock for me is the motor although natural feeling didn’t have the punch of my old Shimano e8000. I’ll judge properly after some trail miles but turbo (even with all settings to plus 5) definitely isn’t as punchy as boost on the Shimano. I never rode trails however in boost as it felt over the top whereas turbo does feel like it would work fine.
Surely the motor has an issue if it's not as punchy as an E8000. The Bosch blows the E8000 and EP8 away normally, certainly has in my experience and in the motor test's Rob has done.

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
Surely the motor has an issue if it's not as punchy as an E8000. The Bosch blows the E8000 and EP8 away normally, certainly has in my experience and in the motor test's Rob has done.
I’ll find out more once on the trails but did notice someone else mentioned the same compared to their brose bike.

I did ride a Bosch bike when I got my focus and found similar back then

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
How is the Fox Float X on the Underdog Model?

Andy good?
First of all let me refer that I only have 150km (over 3000m acumulated) on the bike.

FOX FLOAT X
1st impressions aren't good nor bad. It's a shock.

I don't find it so bad that requires a immediate change, and I'm still dealing with the rebound knob and pressure to attain a better mid support and better control at the end. Must check if I can increase progressivity through spacers in the chamber (really don't know the shock - no negative BIAS thought!).

One thing I thought wouldn't require, but found really practical is the pedal lever (compression "lockout").
This little lever, has led to KOMs on climbs, suprising me completly.

The shock is similar in feeling as the inline rochshox I had on my MTB, but not as close to the piggyback that replaced the inline.

All my other MTBs have coils (f&r), so next change, on the Strive will be a coil shock.
[I wonder if a Z1 coil conversion is possible to install in the 38 with some work and extra parts....].

I should now refer something regarding the front fork...

Fox38
The Fork was a good surprise!
Before the bike arrived, I started looking for cartridges to change over the GRIP damper, but it seems it performes really well! Won't change until I find it can't coup with the speed!

It's rigid, well composed over bumps and jumps, although it will go deep into the travel when things gets "BIG".
Small bumps, etc is ok, since I set my fork with less travel than others, but I suposed it's normal. It only has 1 lever so... it will be always a compromise!

Upgradite Syndrome:
Shock will be changed for a coil unit - Simple like Marzocchi (and fidle with shim stack until I reach what I want) or with more buttons like Rockshox Ultimate and with HBO.
On the fork wouldn't mind install an Avalanche Cartridge, but it needs to come from US of A....
Fast has also a cartridge, but it seems is out of stock in most places in Europe.

But for now... let's burn some brake pads and tires!

Last edited:

501AM

May 10, 2023
Sweden

I agree, I've been testing the Bosch CX against Shimano EP8 back to back, with both tuned in the app to max and the Bosch are for sure punchier than the EP8, but I feel that you need an higher cadence on the Bosch compared to the Shimano, so if you have a very low cadence, then the Shimano may feel more powerful.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
I agree, I've been testing the Bosch CX against Shimano EP8 back to back, with both tuned in the app to max and the Bosch are for sure punchier than the EP8, but I feel that you need an higher cadence on the Bosch compared to the Shimano, so if you have a very low cadence, then the Shimano may feel more powerful.

I haven’t ridden Bosch but when folks say “punchy” I interpret that to specifically mean lower-cadence torque feel and rate of assist engagement when cranking things up. I actually dial this back on my EP8 because I find it over-the-top when cranked.

hansfrans

Jun 28, 2020
Earth
Did the terribly boring invisiframe install this evening. Tubeless tomorrow and then it’s ready for an adventure on Friday. The invisiframe was very impressive. Literally everything is well protected. I’ll pay someone in future though for the install

View attachment 118379 View attachment 118380 View attachment 118381
That’s the matte version? Looks perfect.
Would do it too if I wasn’t so damn lazy when it comes to cosmetic improvements.

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
Did the terribly boring invisiframe install this evening. Tubeless tomorrow and then it’s ready for an adventure on Friday. The invisiframe was very impressive. Literally everything is well protected. I’ll pay someone in future though for the install

View attachment 118379 View attachment 118380 View attachment 118381
Looks like you’ve done a cracking job! 👌 Once my bike is ordered I’ll be getting the Invisiframe kit ordered.

Just the small conundrum of Medium or Large. I’m almost sure on the Large…it’s just the reach of 500mm that is stopping me. Seems loooong! Canyon size suggests I’m in between M and L

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles