Levo Gen 3 2023 Turbo Levo Expert - Looks amazing

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I'm in the market for a new EMTB (sold my Giant Stance E+) -- I hadn't really looked at Specialized too much because none of my local bike shops are authorized dealers but there is one just 90 minutes away.

I got looking on the site the other day and it looks like the 2023s are out but don't see much chatter here on them. Initially, it looked like the same bike, and it is, but I saw two really nice upgrades on the Turbo Levo Expert for the same price.

• Oneup dropper!
  • SRAM GX Eagle AXS
Is anyone thinking of this bike? Or a big reason to pick the 2022 over this one?

bailer

Feb 1, 2023
SaskCan
I'm in the market for a new EMTB (sold my Giant Stance E+) -- I hadn't really looked at Specialized too much because none of my local bike shops are authorized dealers but there is one just 90 minutes away.

I got looking on the site the other day and it looks like the 2023s are out but don't see much chatter here on them. Initially, it looked like the same bike, and it is, but I saw two really nice upgrades on the Turbo Levo Expert for the same price.

• Oneup dropper!
  • SRAM GX Eagle AXS
Is anyone thinking of this bike? Or a big reason to pick the 2022 over this one?
Hi, I’m also in Canada…. I did notice the ‘23 expert model shown on their site as well as the ‘22. It has the upgrades you listed, a 5% price decrease for both years, and new colors.

I purchased an ‘22 s4 expert a couple months ago. I suspected I may miss out on some model year tweaks, but stock has seemed very tight here, so snapped it up when I got the chance.

Armor11

Dec 26, 2022
BC, Canada

• Oneup dropper!
  • SRAM GX Eagle AXS
Canadian here as well, just the other end of the country! If they are the same price and you like the color choice, go for the new model with the few upgrades. Looks like you missed the discounted prices from last month, unless they didn't have the model you are after on discount. I picked up a Levo Comp Alloy for $7700, definitely wasn't going to wait for the 2023 model. End result, go with what you want and you won't be disappointed at all. Cheers

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
OneUp dropper, nice touch.
AXS ? noo way... even with 'normal' Eagle rear mech, I hit it 2-3 times per ride. (always some stuff on inside side of a corner)
I'm gonna ditch it and install XT M8000, which protrude 2-2.5cm less.

bailer

Feb 1, 2023
SaskCan
Not same bike I think . Shorter chainstay . A bit better water proofing . Adjustable geo . Mastermind tcu . I've got 2019 model . Which is same . I'd like latest model. Resale value would be better also .
I think what was meant is the ‘22 is the new gen3 model, and the ‘23 has gotten some additional upgrades as previously listed.

DerbyCityClydesdale

Feb 1, 2023
Louisville, KY.
I ordered a 2022 Turbo Levo Expert S6 yesterday direct from Spesh and paid $8,249 USD on-sale. Today (Feb 1) the price jumped back up to $11,000. I would have been sick if I had delayed my order by one day. Got the shipping notice today!

When I check specialized.com USA site, they are still showing the 2022 specs for the Expert. I found the new 2023 specs by switching the region to EU.

Looks like the only changes are colors, the dropper (x-fusion maniac vs. One-up), and the derailleur going electronic (different Shift levers, rear derailleur, and chainring).

Last edited:

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I ordered a 2022 Turbo Levo Expert S6 yesterday direct from Spesh and paid $8,249 USD on-sale. Today (Feb 1) the price jumped back up to $11,000. I would have been sick if I had delayed my order by one day. It will make my decision even better if there are little to no changes for 2023 other than color. Got the shipping notice today!

Where can the 2023 Levo Expert specs be found? When I check specialized.com, they are still showing the 2022 specs for the Expert.
In Canada it is listing both
Here is the comparison link: Product Compare | Specialized.com

Its the opposite for like Giant some of the 2023s are on the Us site but not Canada.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I will take my 2022 out the door for $8445 after tax any day. I‘m throwing on my XX1 AXS that I already have along with an X01 cassette/chain. I put a deposit down last night. I may even throw on a Oneup 210 dropper that the S4 doesn’t come with. It comes with the 180mm.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7401

I guess nobody noticed…but the ‘23 will also come with a “Specialized 2.2 Custom Rx Trail Tuned Motor” whereas the ‘22 just features the “Specialized Turbo Full Power System 2.2 Motor”.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I guess nobody noticed…but the ‘23 will also come with a “Specialized 2.2 Custom Rx Trail Tuned Motor” whereas the ‘22 just features the “Specialized Turbo Full Power System 2.2 Motor”.
I noticed that, but it shows all the 2023s coming with that Rx tune, and from what I read in another thread, people believed it is still the same motor/tune. It just has a different marketing spin, but maybe it is tuned differently. I would love to know.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I noticed that, but it shows all the 2023s coming with that Rx tune, and from what I read in another thread, people believed it is still the same motor/tune. It just has a different marketing spin, but maybe it is tuned differently. I would love to know.
If anything it would be a software update, that means that it would be pushed to all the bikes since they all use the same software. I imagine it’s just marketing to try to make people want to choose the 23 over the 22.

Armor11

Dec 26, 2022
BC, Canada
If anything it would be a software update, that means that it would be pushed to all the bikes since they all use the same software. I imagine it’s just marketing to try to make people want to choose the 23 over the 22.
The software update (Rx Tune) only seems to be in the Carbon bikes. The Levo Comp Alloy and down seem to be the identical bike to 2022 other than color choices.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
The software update (Rx Tune) only seems to be in the Carbon bikes. The Levo Comp Alloy and down seem to be the identical bike to 2022 other than color choices.
There’s an older thread on here asking the same thing about 2 of the 2022 models that were listed with the “RX tune”. According to Specialized they all have the same motors/tune and the “RX” was a typo. If you click on the “read more” tab it says it has the full power 2.2 motor and nothing about the “RX” tune.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William

• Oneup dropper!
  • SRAM GX Eagle AXS
I honestly don’t see the current AXS derailleur as an upgrade anymore. I was an early adopter, went all in on it and swapped 4 of my bikes over to full AXS setups. All but 1 of them have went back to cable derailleurs. The clutch is weak as hell and you end up with bad chain slap that only gets worse with mileage.

EMTB!

May 22, 2020
Eagle, Idaho
The suspension is also the "Elite" version in both shock and fork to add HSR in the shock and HSR and HSC on the fork, so there's that.

EMTB!

May 22, 2020
Eagle, Idaho
Has anyone run the Cascade 160 and a 170 fork up front in full 29"? I absolutely love that set up. If you're wondering, I compare it to the feel of my 160E, but with quite a bit more range for my weight at 220. I just picked up a another frame that was crash replacement S-Works unobtanium colors and can't wait to roll again. This weighs 47.85 as pictured with pedals Our weather is garbage right now here in Idaho.

IMG_5117.jpg

Last edited:

Neeko

Jun 8, 2020
Australia
I've had the 23 Levo Expert for a few weeks now here in Australia. As mentioned above, dropper, AXS and Performance Elite rear shock are the only difference from 22 model. It does actually miss out on the fox mudguard which came with my old 22.

I've added the rental bar/stem combo, HS2 rotors, AXS dropper and invisiframe which really helps out the dull colour shine a little. I love it 😍

20230119_151928 (1).jpg

20230119_151949.jpg

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Has anyone run the Cascade 160 and a 170 fork up front in full 29"? I absolutely love that set up. If you're wondering, I compare it to the feel of my 160E, but with quite a bit more range for my weight at 220. I just picked up a another frame that was crash replacement S-Works unobtanium colors and can't wait to roll again. This weighs 47.85 as pictured with pedals Our weather is garbage right now here in Idaho.

View attachment 105921
Yeah I tried it but found the BB was too high and it was detrimental to the handling. I guess it depends on what sort of terrain you ride. Also the head angle was over 65 degrees which just wasn't slack enough for me.

RichT

I honestly don’t see the current AXS derailleur as an upgrade anymore. I was an early adopter, went all in on it and swapped 4 of my bikes over to full AXS setups. All but 1 of them have went back to cable derailleurs. The clutch is weak as hell and you end up with bad chain slap that only gets worse with mileage.
This is the first I’ve heard of this weakness in the AXS system. Actually the first complaint of any kind other than about the price. Do you hve more info on it? I’ve been considering the Eagle AXS “upgrade” for my Tero and looking for any “down side” info on the system.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
This is the first I’ve heard of this weakness in the AXS system. Actually the first complaint of any kind other than about the price. Do you hve more info on it? I’ve been considering the Eagle AXS “upgrade” for my Tero and looking for any “down side” info on the system.
Well you can add a 2nd report here. I agree the clutch tension is not up to it

RichT

Well you can add a 2nd report here. I agree the clutch tension is not up to it
Can you explain the effect of insufficient clutch tension? Also under what conditions? My riding is probably quite mild compared to that of the Levo/Kenevo crowd. As an example, I had my bike bumped to 28mph and went from a 36T to 44T chainring so when I leave the dirt and ride with the cars I have a little more speed at my disposal. And I don’t miss the ratios I had with 1st and 2nd - never used them anyway. My typical rides are about 50/50 dirt and pavement. I just want smooth, fast, precise, quiet shifts, and I like the idea or selecting 2 or 3 gears at once when encountering a sudden, steep hill. So would that make a difference or would the weak clutch problem be an issue for me as well?

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
There’s just not enough tension on the clutch and it causes bad chain slap, it’s a combination of not having a cable to help provide tension allowing the derailleur to somewhat pivot and the weak servo for the clutch. I had one of mine replaced under warranty because I thought it was defective, the new one was doing the exact same thing within a week. SRAM has admitted they went with the weaker clutch servo for better battery life.

The new AXS derailleur supposedly fixed the issue, that’s why it has the extra bracing. I chatted with HH’s mechanic about it and he said it’s much better than the current one but couldn’t go into much detail, he did say that hadn’t had any issues with chain slap yet which is positive. I love the look of no cables and definitely want to go back to it if the new stuff is better.

If you’re not riding rough stuff you’ll probably never have issues with it, 90% of my riding is done in super rocky terrain so it was constant for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles