Kenevo Gen1 2023 Gen 3 Turbo Kenevo

drumfrodo

Aug 10, 2023
Norway
I'm not sure if this is old news, and what everyone is talking about is an even newer version of the Kenevo (which may or may not happen), but I bought this exact bike back in July, from a store in Sweden. Turbo Kenevo Comp | Specialized.com
They advertised it as "2024 Kenevo Turbo Comp", which seems to hold up when looking at the Specialized website (the German region, but it also shows in the Swedish and Norwegian regional sites). It has quite different specs from the previous (MY2023, sold from 2022) Kenevo, notably Fox instead of Marzocchi, and coil shock instead of air etc. - but no change in frame or wheel sizes etc. Mine also had a 700Wh battery (even though officially it should still be 500Wh on the Comp version according to Specialized, but seemingly this may not be accurate), so I chose the Comp since I'm replacing a lot of parts anyways (new fork, shock, dropper, wheels - have gone mullet).

I have not checked exactly what regions of the Specialized website these newer Kenevos are/aren't available, but I can see that it's not visible in the North & Central America region currently - so something seems delayed there at least.

But in some regions Specialized have indeed already released a new(er) full fat Kenevo. Here is direct link to the Expert version as well, with new colors + coil shock etc. compared to the MY2023/2022 version: Turbo Kenevo Expert | Specialized.com

Edit: I'm not familiar with Specialized release date or announcement timeframe history for new model years of their bikes, but I would expect the next iterations to not be published until sometime during spring next year...? That would be the "MY2025 Kenevo", possibly a proper "gen 3" with new geo/frame etc. Allthough some sources seem to indicate this isn't happening, isn't it still way too early to tell..?

Last edited:

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
I'm note sure if this is old news, and what everyone is talking about is an even newer version of the Kenevo (which may or may not happen), but I bought this exact bike back in July, from a store in Sweden. Turbo Kenevo Comp | Specialized.com
They advertised it as "2024 Kenevo Turbo Comp", which seems to hold up when looking at the Specialized website (the German region, but it also shows in the Swedish and Norwegian regional sites). It has quite different specs from the previous (MY2023, sold from 2022) Kenevo, notably Fox instead of Marzocchi, and coil shock instead of air etc. - but no change in frame or wheel sizes etc. Mine also had a 700Wh battery (even though officially it should still be 500Wh on the Comp version according to Specialized, but seemingly this may not be accurate), so I chose the Comp since I'm replacing a lot of parts anyways (new fork, shock, dropper, wheels - have gone mullet).

I have not checked exactly what regions of the Specialized website these newer Kenevos are/aren't available, but I can see that it's not visible in the North & Central America region currently - so something seems delayed there at least.

But in some regions Specialized have indeed already released a new(er) full fat Kenevo. Here is direct link to the Expert version as well, with new colors + coil shock etc. compared to the MY2023/2022 version: Turbo Kenevo Expert | Specialized.com

Edit: I'm not familiar with Specialized release date or announcement timeframe history for new model years of their bikes, but I would expect the next iterations to not be published until sometime during spring next year...? That would be the "MY2025 Kenevo", possibly a proper "gen 3" with new geo/frame etc. Allthough some sources seem to indicate this isn't happening, isn't it still way too early to tell..?

No this isn’t what they’re discussing. This is still the gen 2 model.

drumfrodo

Aug 10, 2023
Norway
No this isn’t what they’re discussing. This is still the gen 2 model.
True, I just got the impression that people were thinking the Kenevo isn't updated at all this year (and thus looks like it could be abandoned) - which is not the case. But I understand the main discussion is revolving around a possible new design iteration, i.e. a gen 3 with new motor, frame design etc. I still find it strange that some have already concluded the Kenevo is discontinued, since the recent updated gen 2 spec isn't many months old and still not actually updated on the official website in all regions. But again, I'm not familiar with earlier timeframes here regarding announcements etc. so I'm just trying to get a grasp.. :)

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
True, I just got the impression that people were thinking the Kenevo isn't updated at all this year (and thus looks like it could be abandoned) - which is not the case. But I understand the main discussion is revolving around a possible new design iteration, i.e. a gen 3 with new motor, frame design etc. I still find it strange that some have already concluded the Kenevo is discontinued, since the recent updated gen 2 spec isn't many months old and still not actually updated on the official website in all regions. But again, I'm not familiar with earlier timeframes here regarding announcements etc. so I'm just trying to get a grasp.. :)

The version your sending is here in the UK. Specialized just dripped them out with no announcement.

Apr 11, 2023
Japan
The 2023 Kenevos have disappeared from the Spec' site... Only the 2022 models remain, still on sale. So, hush-hush or not to hush-hush ? :unsure: :eek:
The spec site in Japan has both the new SL2 Kenevo and SL1 Kenevo posted. SL1 Kenevos are on sale.

Kenevo SL1 Sale Japan.png Kenevo SL2 and SL1 Japan.png

drumfrodo

Aug 10, 2023
Norway
In Europe it’s not, when checking av few countries' websites under specialized.com: turbo kenevo
But for North America I can't see the 2023 Kenevo variants, for some reason.

Apr 11, 2023
Japan
The 2023 Kenevos have disappeared from the Spec' site... Only the 2022 models remain, still on sale. So, hush-hush or not to hush-hush ? :unsure: :eek:
Now that you mention it, I was in Taiwan and spoke to the main Specialized dealer in Taipei, and I asked him why the Kenevo was not on the spec site. He said if I want one, he can get me one. But as you said, they are not on the Taiwan Specialized spec site, either. Maybe that model is coming to an end.

dixie

Apr 16, 2019
isle of wight
Can someone let me know...the 23/24 kenevo comp comes with a fox 38 rythm fork...will that take a 29er wheel? Like is it 27.5/ 29.
Cheers. I also see they've gone back to coil shock. ??? As my 2020 kenevo ate coils weekly and I had to swap for dpx2 as per specialized stated? Any Info. Thanks

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
Can someone let me know...the 23/24 kenevo comp comes with a fox 38 rythm fork...will that take a 29er wheel? Like is it 27.5/ 29.
Cheers. I also see they've gone back to coil shock. ??? As my 2020 kenevo ate coils weekly and I had to swap for dpx2 as per specialized stated? Any Info. Thanks
Go to YouTube and search “ Ottersports “. The guy has most of his content on a 21 Kenevo….. he really liked the sun tour coil($400) because it has a steel shaft. He is currently on an ext coil($1000+) shock.

drumfrodo

Aug 10, 2023
Norway
No, it won’t. I replaced the Fox 38 fork on my Kenevo Comp 2023 from a 27.5 Rhythm to a 29 Factory to fit a 29 inch front wheel.

drumfrodo

Aug 10, 2023
Norway
Did yours come with a coil shock? How come they've gone back to coil after all the recall stuff on 2020 / 2021 kenevos?
Yes, a DHX base (performance) model. Swapped it to an X2 Factory now, as I prefer the adjustability of an air shock.

zorro77

Apr 13, 2021
Italy
Is yours moss green ,/ oak if so ping me pics plz ...trying to gauge colour
Look at the photos on the left column, there are also real photos

green is beautiful in my opinion but today I ordered the gold because they only had the one available

dixie

Apr 16, 2019
isle of wight
Look at the photos on the left column, there are also real photos

green is beautiful in my opinion but today I ordered the gold because they only had the one available
Thanks bud that's exactly what I was after

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles