2023 Pivot Shuttle SL - Super Light

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
Was super excited about the latest Ride review and he mulleted it with a rear coil only to find out again it’s not in English. My comparison is from a Gen 3 Levo and I don’t need the extra power and weight . But I’m finding the ride over chatter at high speeds of the top end is not subtle and has been very harsh. Combined with the 15 mph cutoff having to pedal hard to hit a few jump lines I’m finding the bike not fun to ride in some situations. Need to dial in the suspension better and get that up date to 20mph cutoff and that should help things for me But with my Gen 3 levo im finding the pivot sl is leaving something more to be desired . Again it’s only my opinion and everyone wants a different feel. Maybe I’m just more of a full power emtber.

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
I was fortunate to get my hands on a size large Team build back in the first week of September. I am 5'10" tall and weigh 195lbs. I would consider myself and aggressive vet rider. I have owned 8 different emtb's over the last 3 years so I do have some knowledge and experience with both full power and lightweight emtb's. The first thing I notice was the bike was a little long for me. I probably would have been better on the medium. I was able to get more comfortable by changing out the stem and playing with the seat as well as bar height. The brakes where another issue I addressed right away, upgrading the rotor size in both front and rear. With about 150 miles on the bike I have been really impressed with its performance both climbing and descending. The pedaling platform is very , very efficient. The bike is very quiet no rattling down the hill or whining up. This becomes really evident when I ride my Shuttle and my Yeti back to back or when pedaling next to my wife on her Rise. I do get a creaking sound from the frame when standing and pedaling but have been told pivot is working on an upgrade to the bushing that is causing the noise. Until then I will just have to live with it. The suspension has been a great surprise. I was concerned about the 132mm rear travel. This is the shortest travel bike I have owned to date. Riding the bike on green, blue and black trials I have never felt under biked.(or over biked) This bike works for 95% of the trails I ride. I did add volume spacers to both the fork and shock as I was bottoming out on a few drops on my local trails. Don't let anyone tell you weight doesn't really matter on an ebike especially when you couple it with a true mid powered motor. Both my Levo SL and my Kenevo SL would wear me out on my local climbs not only because of the lack of power but because I had to ride in eco in order to complete the loop without running out of battery. On my full powered Levo, Kenevo, and now Yeti the climbs can be a breeze but when attacking long downhills fatigue sets in. The first ride on the Shuttle SL had me wanting to ride further and longer than when on my FF bikes or my old SL bikes. The bike seems to be a really good balance between power and weight. I would have many more miles on this bike if I hadn't been plagued with the firmware and other issues that have been discussed on this site. The bike is currently at the shop awaiting a complete motor replacement. Looks like there is lubricate leaking from the drive side crank seal. I really hope Fazua gets this figured out. The shuttle SL is one of the best riding bikes I have ever owned but that does me know good if it is in the shop more than on the trail.
I am wondering if the Shuttle SL with the new Fauza motor is having motor hardware and software problems that are causing too many trips to the shop. (In looking at the Trek Fuel EXe forum, it appears the the TQ motor is causing significant problems to a number of people that make it high risk.)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just to clarify on the battery (removable or not).

Effectively it's not ! the none removable battery is lighter than the removable battery and they saved about another 500g not having to have the hardware for a removable battery.

It is possible to remove the battery for maintenance, but this also involves removing the motor.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I am wondering if the Shuttle SL with the new Fauza motor is having motor hardware and software problems that are causing too many trips to the shop.
There's supposedly a new update out from Fazua in about 4 weeks time which addresses many of the issues some people are having like random power off's/ not powering back on. I believe they've done one which has already addressed a lot of these.

Just in time

Sep 20, 2022
Minnesota
For those with creaking sound, have you resolved them?
No solution on the creaking . It’s the motor mount bushings that will be replaced at some point hopefully because I can’t stand it . Had my shop torque them down seemed to help for a couple rides now I’m back with a creaking bike when pedaling .

izzymtb

Sep 1, 2022
SoCal
I did my first ride in Fullerton Loop here in SoCal with the Pivot Shuttle SL, X01 build, M, I'm 5'9" for reference. Here is some comparison with the Trek Ex-e 9.7 since I got to ride that before the SL on the same Trail. First things I noticed from the 11 mile ride. I had 72% battery left from 97% according to fazua app, compared to Fuel Ex-e from 100% down to 62%. That's with mix power factor depending on my needs. So definitely more capacity. I can definitely tell the difference of the extra 10 nm and the boost feature was too fun. So far nothing creaking yet and the components in the X01 build is the nicest I've had, comparing to the Ex-e 9.7, that was also nice but you can feel how sharp the shifting on the sram is and quality with the rest of components. I did replace the handle bar with a 35 mm rise to bring in the geometry a bit closer to me and replaced the grips as the original felt fat for my hands. I also think the SL is easier to maneuver than the EX-e. Maybe its the tires (EX-e is 2.5 vs 2.4) ? it does feel a tad lighter and more balanced, like if I lift from the middle the SL would lift both tires rather in the Ex-e the front tires will lift up first, not too scientific though. The only gripe I have is the display and controller, though simple, I wish they made something similar to Trek's with a bit more detailed info. the controller is not bad but maybe a little more positive feel but otherwise it's easy to learn and use without looking at it. As far as the Fazua motor being louder compared to TQ, if any, its really not by any much. So I am glad I ended up with the Shuttle SL but as soon as TQ/Trek figures out the grinding in the motor, that bike is very nice as well.

IMG_1503.jpg

luna87824

Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
Firmware update - update:

I picked up my Shuttle SL yesterday after the firmware was updated and after one ride last night it seems to have resolved the random sleep mode issues and the mph is now limited to 20 as it should be. I'll do a longer ride today and post an update here if anything comes up. No news will mean good news!

View attachment 99056
Was that picture taken up by the water tank?

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I did my first ride in Fullerton Loop here in SoCal with the Pivot Shuttle SL, X01 build, M, I'm 5'9" for reference. Here is some comparison with the Trek Ex-e 9.7 since I got to ride that before the SL on the same Trail. First things I noticed from the 11 mile ride. I had 72% battery left from 97% according to fazua app, compared to Fuel Ex-e from 100% down to 62%. That's with mix power factor depending on my needs. So definitely more capacity. I can definitely tell the difference of the extra 10 nm and the boost feature was too fun. So far nothing creaking yet and the components in the X01 build is the nicest I've had, comparing to the Ex-e 9.7, that was also nice but you can feel how sharp the shifting on the sram is and quality with the rest of components. I did replace the handle bar with a 35 mm rise to bring in the geometry a bit closer to me and replaced the grips as the original felt fat for my hands. I also think the SL is easier to maneuver than the EX-e. Maybe its the tires (EX-e is 2.5 vs 2.4) ? it does feel a tad lighter and more balanced, like if I lift from the middle the SL would lift both tires rather in the Ex-e the front tires will lift up first, not too scientific though. The only gripe I have is the display and controller, though simple, I wish they made something similar to Trek's with a bit more detailed info. the controller is not bad but maybe a little more positive feel but otherwise it's easy to learn and use without looking at it. As far as the Fazua motor being louder compared to TQ, if any, its really not by any much. So I am glad I ended up with the Shuttle SL but as soon as TQ/Trek figures out the grinding in the motor, that bike is very nice as well.

View attachment 100898
Based on various reviews I had suspected that the TQ motor used its battery energy a bit less efficiently. But maybe it doesn't as it also has a considerably smaller battery.

There was a couple of TQ ride reports where riders were completely out of juice at the 2 hour mark, which is just a bit too soon for my tastes. The TQ people should take some of that weight savings and give a bit of a boost to the battery pack.

Combined with the larger battery, additional torque & your opinion that the F60 motor noise is negligent pretty much has me firmly in the F60 camp and effectively waiting on the Relay.

OKCORRELL

Nov 27, 2022
Series63test
I was fortunate to get my hands on a size large Team build back in the first week of September. I am 5'10" tall and weigh 195lbs. I would consider myself and aggressive vet rider. I have owned 8 different emtb's over the last 3 years so I do have some knowledge and experience with both full power and lightweight emtb's. The first thing I notice was the bike was a little long for me. I probably would have been better on the medium. I was able to get more comfortable by changing out the stem and playing with the seat as well as bar height. The brakes where another issue I addressed right away, upgrading the rotor size in both front and rear. With about 150 miles on the bike I have been really impressed with its performance both climbing and descending. The pedaling platform is very , very efficient. The bike is very quiet no rattling down the hill or whining up. This becomes really evident when I ride my Shuttle and my Yeti back to back or when pedaling next to my wife on her Rise. I do get a creaking sound from the frame when standing and pedaling but have been told pivot is working on an upgrade to the bushing that is causing the noise. Until then I will just have to live with it. The suspension has been a great surprise. I was concerned about the 132mm rear travel. This is the shortest travel bike I have owned to date. Riding the bike on green, blue and black trials I have never felt under biked.(or over biked) This bike works for 95% of the trails I ride. I did add volume spacers to both the fork and shock as I was bottoming out on a few drops on my local trails. Don't let anyone tell you weight doesn't really matter on an ebike especially when you couple it with a true mid powered motor. Both my Levo SL and my Kenevo SL would wear me out on my local climbs not only because of the lack of power but because I had to ride in eco in order to complete the loop without running out of battery. On my full powered Levo, Kenevo, and now Yeti the climbs can be a breeze but when attacking long downhills fatigue sets in. The first ride on the Shuttle SL had me wanting to ride further and longer than when on my FF bikes or my old SL bikes. The bike seems to be a really good balance between power and weight. I would have many more miles on this bike if I hadn't been plagued with the firmware and other issues that have been discussed on this site. The bike is currently at the shop awaiting a complete motor replacement. Looks like there is lubricate leaking from the drive side crank seal. I really hope Fazua gets this figured out. The shuttle SL is one of the best riding bikes I have ever owned but that does me know good if it is in the shop more than on the trail.
"upgrading the rotor size in both front and rear."
Thanks for sharing your experience! What size did you go up to for the front and rear?

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
So I picked up and rode my Pro X1 Shuttle SL yesterday. I turned it on today and after it cycles through the three colors all I get is one white light (not flashing) at the top of the display. It's pouring so I can't ride it at the moment. Anyone know what this means? Nothing in the troubleshooting directions to explain. Thanks!
316664884_10229280496414489_7067926207411792568_n.jpg

MarkE192

Aug 1, 2022
USA
Need to take it to the dealer for a firmware update. I hade the same issue and it has been resolved with the update.

ollie3856

Aug 16, 2020
Sonoma
So I picked up and rode my Pro X1 Shuttle SL yesterday. I turned it on today and after it cycles through the three colors all I get is one white light (not flashing) at the top of the display. It's pouring so I can't ride it at the moment. Anyone know what this means? Nothing in the troubleshooting directions to explain. Thanks! View attachment 102205
Agree on FW update, do you know your current version (if you have the app it should tell you)?

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
So I picked up and rode my Pro X1 Shuttle SL yesterday. I turned it on today and after it cycles through the three colors all I get is one white light (not flashing) at the top of the display. It's pouring so I can't ride it at the moment. Anyone know what this means? Nothing in the troubleshooting directions to explain. Thanks
So I picked up and rode my Pro X1 Shuttle SL yesterday. I turned it on today and after it cycles through the three colors all I get is one white light (not flashing) at the top of the display. It's pouring so I can't ride it at the moment. Anyone know what this means? Nothing in the troubleshooting directions to explain. Thanks! View attachment 102205
What color is that?

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
My LBS has a size Large team xtr in stock that I got to pedal around the parking lot. I also weighed it without pedals and it came in at 40lbs on the nose without pedals. I realize this isn't new info in this thread, but I find the weight a bit of a let down as I would be immediately adding 2lbs worth of tire and cushcore to the setup along with 1 lbs for pedals. So, a realistic ready to ride weight for me would be 43.5 - 44lbs which is within 1.5lbs of my modified carbon rise.

Beyond that... It's a gorgeous bike. The fit and finish is excellent, as expected from pivot. I like that they have gone to fully sleeved internal routing as that's something that has always bugged me when working on pivots. The fazua ride system is pretty nice. It's not as surgy down low as an ep8rs and definitely requires more deliberate leg effort from the rider to get it moving... but not significantly and not in a detrimental way.

That being said... The fit and geometry of this bike just does not work for my 6'2" - +2 ape index body. I have typically been in between sizes on pivots as they have fairly slack seat tube angles (both effective and actual), rather low stack heights, and long effective top tubes. This one isn't as bad as some of the rest... but still feel more stretched out then I should in the seated position. That means that the XL really is a no-go for me in terms of length, but the stack height of the large is absurdly low so it will be too short at my desired bar height. I have a hunch that pivot knows they have a bit of a fit issue, which is why every one of these I have seen from the oem install, has a bunch of stem spacers.

I didn't get a chance to ride it on dirt, but it does feel like the previous switchblades to me where the front center / rear center balance is a bit off for my liking and it feels like the bike is going to demand more deliberate weight on the front for cornering traction. This is something that likely isn't an issue with the standard stack height... right up until you add a bunch of stem spacers and shorten the reach. The rear suspension platform feels pretty standard for pivot which is extremely supportive and definitely not all that supple but bottomless feeling and incredibly efficient on the gas.

Overall... if pivots fit you, and you are into them and you want a light weight ebike, this thing is going to deliver. I haven't ridden a pivot to date that I was truly in love with... the current switchblade is close and this bike feels eerily similar to that bike. In the end, I still find the sizing a bit odd, the stack too low, the ett too long and the chainstays too short for my the wide range of riding and speeds that I generally ride at.

NNT9mZd.jpg

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
My LBS has a size Large team xtr in stock that I got to pedal around the parking lot. I also weighed it without pedals and it came in at 40lbs on the nose without pedals. I realize this isn't new info in this thread, but I find the weight a bit of a let down as I would be immediately adding 2lbs worth of tire and cushcore to the setup along with 1 lbs for pedals. So, a realistic ready to ride weight for me would be 43.5 - 44lbs which is within 1.5lbs of my modified carbon rise.

Beyond that... It's a gorgeous bike. The fit and finish is excellent, as expected from pivot. I like that they have gone to fully sleeved internal routing as that's something that has always bugged me when working on pivots. The fazua ride system is pretty nice. It's not as surgy down low as an ep8rs and definitely requires more deliberate leg effort from the rider to get it moving... but not significantly and not in a detrimental way.

That being said... The fit and geometry of this bike just does not work for my 6'2" - +2 ape index body. I have typically been in between sizes on pivots as they have fairly slack seat tube angles (both effective and actual), rather low stack heights, and long effective top tubes. This one isn't as bad as some of the rest... but still feel more stretched out then I should in the seated position. That means that the XL really is a no-go for me in terms of length, but the stack height of the large is absurdly low so it will be too short at my desired bar height. I have a hunch that pivot knows they have a bit of a fit issue, which is why every one of these I have seen from the oem install, has a bunch of stem spacers.

I didn't get a chance to ride it on dirt, but it does feel like the previous switchblades to me where the front center / rear center balance is a bit off for my liking and it feels like the bike is going to demand more deliberate weight on the front for cornering traction. This is something that likely isn't an issue with the standard stack height... right up until you add a bunch of stem spacers and shorten the reach. The rear suspension platform feels pretty standard for pivot which is extremely supportive and definitely not all that supple but bottomless feeling and incredibly efficient on the gas.

Overall... if pivots fit you, and you are into them and you want a light weight ebike, this thing is going to deliver. I haven't ridden a pivot to date that I was truly in love with... the current switchblade is close and this bike feels eerily similar to that bike. In the end, I still find the sizing a bit odd, the stack too low, the ett too long and the chainstays too short for my the wide range of riding and speeds that I generally ride at.

Which version as that?

Rakoth

Nov 27, 2022
Germany

NNT9mZd.jpg
Exactly what I am thinking about the medium size. For me, the reach and ett are way longer than iam used to from my Bronson and focus jam.
But iam so in love with this bike and lbs told me it will fit (from only sitting on it …)
Makes me crazy!

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
So an update on my SL.... I took it for a ride Saturday and on Sunday I had the white light of death. This should have meant that I needed the firmware update from the dealer. Well it turns out it also meant that I need a new motor! Naturally this was the first Fazua motor sold by my LBS and they have been scrambling to work with Pivot and the Fazua vendor to get the new motor here and installed. I'm cautiously optimistic that it will get done today as they did ship it overnight. Fingers crossed.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Ok,, now that my bike is back online, I'm struggling to get the Fazua software to work on my Garmin 830.... Has anyone been able to get it to set up successfuly?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles