2023 Pivot Shuttle SL - Super Light

eddiemac47

Mar 4, 2020
East Coast, USA
Did a quick 10 miles this morning before I had to head out to work. In a nutshell, this is why I wanted this bike. The update fixed everything on my end. I don't have a wheel sensor for my Garmin, so I am only going by satellite, but it seems to cut out right at 19.5-20.5 mph on my end. Also, no white light of death. I must have shifted into no assit 10 times while riding and never had it go into sleep mode. It seems like Fazua got this right. It's only 10 miles, but for me, I'm a happy dude. If I can get home before dark, I'm going to go for another ride this evening. Still playing with the assist and how it comes on in the app, but for me, this thing is awesome.

crucible

Oct 4, 2022
USA
Did a quick 10 miles this morning before I had to head out to work. In a nutshell, this is why I wanted this bike. The update fixed everything on my end. I don't have a wheel sensor for my Garmin, so I am only going by satellite, but it seems to cut out right at 19.5-20.5 mph on my end. Also, no white light of death. I must have shifted into no assit 10 times while riding and never had it go into sleep mode. It seems like Fazua got this right. It's only 10 miles, but for me, I'm a happy dude. If I can get home before dark, I'm going to go for another ride this evening. Still playing with the assist and how it comes on in the app, but for me, this thing is awesome
Great news to wake up to! I'm anxious to ride mine on Monday when I get it back from HQ. I'll post my results here also. Do let us know if anything unexpected pops up in your ride tonight. Thanks @eddiemac47

Jimmy Gipsy

Oct 5, 2018
Italia
A little question ... I quickly assembled the bike and didn't pay attention to the connectivity part. Where can I find the code to enable bluetooth?

Just in time

Sep 20, 2022
Minnesota
Hey all, I wanted to ask anyone here that’s currently riding the shuttle sl if you are hearing some heaving creaking coming from the cranks when you are out the saddle putting the power down ? When just soft pedaling it’s fine but when you start pedaling hard it sounds really bad with every evolution left and right crank is creaking to the point I can’t handle it anymore . Wanted ask if anyone is encountering this with their bike . It’s definitely from the motor/ cranks. It’s a creaking with clicking sound 😂. Damnit haha I can’t deal with it . I thought I could just let it go but I can’t .

crucible

Oct 4, 2022
USA
Hey all, I wanted to ask anyone here that’s currently riding the shuttle sl if you are hearing some heaving creaking coming from the cranks when you are out the saddle putting the power down ? When just soft pedaling it’s fine but when you start pedaling hard it sounds really bad with every evolution left and right crank is creaking to the point I can’t handle it anymore . Wanted ask if anyone is encountering this with their bike . It’s definitely from the motor/ cranks. It’s a creaking with clicking sound 😂. Damnit haha I can’t deal with it . I thought I could just let it go but I can’t .
Hey @Just in time does is sound like this:

Just in time

Sep 20, 2022
Minnesota
Yes that’s it ! Now I’m curious how many others are like this! Also if It can be fixed or not . You know like the Shimano ep8 rattle. This motor is just gonna have this noise . Troubling because I can’t ride the bike anymore it’s bugging the shit outta me now. Thank you for sharing . Have you related this to your lbs? I haven’t yet but I might bring it in tomorrow. Honestly I’m just worried they won’t or cant do anything and that will raise my blood pressure super high 🤣

Last edited:

crucible

Oct 4, 2022
USA
Yes that’s it ! Now I’m curious how many others are like this! Also if It can be fixed or not . You know like the Shimano ep8 rattle. This motor is just gonna have this noise . Troubling because I can’t ride the bike anymore it’s bugging the shit outta me now. Thank you for sharing . Have you related this to your lbs? I haven’t yet but I might bring it in tomorrow. Honestly I’m just worried they won’t or cant do anything and that will raise my blood pressure super high 🤣
I talked to HQ and It's probably a bushing issue in the Fuzua motor. I would talk to your dealer, let the know this bushing is not supposed to have any play (allowing flex). That can cause the creaking sound when you pedal.

IMG_0492.jpg

Just in time

Sep 20, 2022
Minnesota
I talked to HQ and It's probably a bushing issue in the Fuzua motor. I would talk to your dealer, let the know this bushing is not supposed to have any play (allowing flex). That can cause the creaking sound when you pedal.

View attachment 99024
Hey Crucible thanks for the follow up . That makes sense to me. I was thinking some bushing or motor mount issue. Or at least I was hoping it would be that. I’ll relate this over to my shop to help them by pass any troubleshooting. Thanks again !

ollie3856

Aug 16, 2020
Sonoma
Firmware update - update:

I picked up my Shuttle SL yesterday after the firmware was updated and after one ride last night it seems to have resolved the random sleep mode issues and the mph is now limited to 20 as it should be. I'll do a longer ride today and post an update here if anything comes up. No news will mean good news!

View attachment 99056
Any chance you heard when they might make the firmware available directly to customers (i.e. not though dealers)?

Just in time

Sep 20, 2022
Minnesota
Anyone think about mulleting
Anyone think about mulleting the Shuttle S/L?

Ace
Yes for sure ! Honestly think it could be a great compliment to this bike . But I’m a fan of mullet coming from the Gen 3 levo which I’m still riding more than the shuttle sl . The fork is taking time to dial in so damn harsh going fast on the small chatter. Levo is just so good at everything. Hard to justify putting anymore money into the shuttle right now .

Ace Freely

Jul 31, 2019
Wenatchee, Wa
Yes for sure ! Honestly think it could be a great compliment to this bike . But I’m a fan of mullet coming from the Gen 3 levo which I’m still riding more than the shuttle sl . The fork is taking time to dial in so damn harsh going fast on the small chatter. Levo is just so good at everything. Hard to justify putting anymore money into the shuttle right now .

...same thought here! LOVE the mullet on my Gen 3. I'm wondering if just a wheel change will do it, or if you have to shorten the cranks...

Ace

Just in time

Sep 20, 2022
Minnesota
...same thought here! LOVE the mullet on my Gen 3. I'm wondering if just a wheel change will do it, or if you have to shorten the cranks...

Ace
Would have to run it the high setting for sure . I know that praxis will have 160 cranks out but I’m not sure when they said stay tuned . Would be fun to play with. Thoughts are to find someone with the shadow cat as it’s a 27.5 and see if I could use their wheel for a half day out 😎.

eATX

Oct 9, 2022
ATX
Oval Chain Rings... for the "SL"... Yes, I know, "if" the the motor was the only power source for propulsion, the oval would result in some variable torque/speed to the dirt. But... as motor and legs work "together" wouldn't the net/net/net of the entire pedal to dirt *chain of force*, so to speak, be more "round"? Restated, the legs and oval should net/net to "close to" a round ring ("effective" Trq & Speed), due to biomechanics, and the motor assist likes round for constant/consistent Trq delivery. In summary, I am hypothesizing that while not perfect, the oval may still be justified in term of "real experience." Let the rhetoric begin!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Oval Chain Rings... for the "SL"... Yes, I know, "if" the the motor was the only power source for propulsion, the oval would result in some variable torque/speed to the dirt. But... as motor and legs work "together" wouldn't the net/net/net of the entire pedal to dirt *chain of force*, so to speak, be more "round"? Restated, the legs and oval should net/net to "close to" a round ring ("effective" Trq & Speed), due to biomechanics, and the motor assist likes round for constant/consistent Trq delivery. In summary, I am hypothesizing that while not perfect, the oval may still be justified in term of "real experience." Let the rhetoric begin!

Uhmmmm ... there is a slight problem.

Maybe ?

I thought the Fazua had two freewheels .. one the crank/chainring and a second sprag clutch which separates the bb from the motor.

The chainring isn't directly attached to the cranks ???

So whilst you might install your oval chainring in the correct position to achieve the variable leverage you require, once you back pedal slightly or the motor over runs, the oval chainring will then be hindering you instead.

Sorry if that's not the case, I've not ridden one.

eATX

Oct 9, 2022
ATX
Uhmmmm ... there is a slight problem.

Maybe ?

I thought the Fazua had two freewheels .. one the crank/chainring and a second sprag clutch which separates the bb from the motor.

The chainring isn't directly attached to the cranks ???

So whilst you might install your oval chainring in the correct position to achieve the variable leverage you require, once you back pedal slightly or the motor over runs, the oval chainring will then be hindering you instead.

Sorry if that's not the case, I've not ridden one.
Yes, if CR moves independent of cranks, you are right: that's a s-show! I'm a ebike newbie, and don't even have mine yet. I read elsewhere about about mid-drive crank/ring independence while unloaded and spinning, but I didn't know if the R60 was like that. There's not tons of info on it. I originally "thought" a coast would spin the motor, but now that I think about it, that would likely be a lot of drag, not to mention rotational mass. (Thinking about spinning small motors as a kid in fingers and feeling the magnet's subtle thumpy feel.) So.... all that re-pondered now, it likely "has" to be independent if you want to have any kind of non-punitive coast. Therefore, oval is a BAD idea! Looks like it all played out in two posts! A slightly short-sighted post by me. Should have looked at drive design first -- but thx!

Last edited:

eATX

Oct 9, 2022
ATX
To those beneficiaries of pre-order foresight, come on man... ride reviews?!?! :)

Particularly interested in finite power delivery/ramp. For instance... 24" ledge, wheelie-drop! Torque application timing and T-amount is >really< critical. Surge'y and delayed would not be good. And it would suck to have to mentally ADJUST for that, to then be totally uncalibrated when back on a Flintstone's Bike! Curious about this nuance?!

Last edited:

Apr 25, 2019
Perth Western Australia
To those beneficiaries of pre-order foresight, come on man... ride reviews?!?! :)

Particularly interested in finite power delivery/ramp. For instance... 24" ledge, wheelie-drop! Torque application timing and T-amount is >really< critical. Surge'y and delayed would not be good. And it would suck to have to mentally ADJUST for that, to then be totally uncalibrated when back on a Flintstone's Bike! Curious about this nuance?!
Yes also interested in comparing the Fazua to FF, seems from Rob's Haibike ride/s that it's boost is similar to somewhere the trail spectrum for those of us used to Shimano's motors (e8000 for me) our group all ride FF and ride in trail most of the time so if I can keep up most of the time that's what I need!

eATX

Oct 9, 2022
ATX
If someone receives their SL, has three rides, and doesn't post a "detailed" ride review for those of us who wait with pavlovian jowls, they should be banned from the board! Come-on Admin, force some contribution! haha -- LOL!
I'm hopefully optimistic for reviews from this upcoming weekend! (do the ledge, wheelie drop at one 1-2 mph too -- few other scenarios exhibit slow-coast, instant, finite power application and timing from zero -- if that's good, most other will be too).

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
I pre-ordered the Shuttle SL SLX/XT model. My bike shop told me the Shuttle SL, SLX/XT models were delayed and would not ship until well after September. I emailed Pivot several days ago asking for more details and was told they were waiting on parts from Fazua. Pivot added that the SLX/XT model should begin shipping from Tempe Arizona sometime in late October or November. I'm thinking the issues with the ring controller and Fazua firmware update due to power shuttling off, has played a part in the delay.

For those of you, like me who are waiting.....waiting......waiting......and...WTF....waiting......here are a few Shuttle SL reviews I've found online.

The Loam Wolf:

Singletracks:

You Tube Video:

Jimmy Gipsy

Oct 5, 2018
Italia
Here I am. Not really a review as I am loath to write 😬. I ride an XO1 Pro, the bike as far as I'm concerned is a perfect Trail bike. Cycling perfect, agile and agile, flawless dwlink. The motor is quiet and even pushes more than desired. I am satisfied, very much. The only drawback at the moment is that I can't connect the engine sensors to the Garmin. I can see the data but not log it in the activity. In addition, I replaced the 34T chainring with a 32T, which is more responsive in technical climbs. All Shimano mounts already have 32. No defect for the stand by.

Just in time

Sep 20, 2022
Minnesota
Was super excited about the latest Ride review and he mulleted it with a rear coil only to find out again it’s not in English. My comparison is from a Gen 3 Levo and I don’t need the extra power and weight . But I’m finding the ride over chatter at high speeds of the top end is not subtle and has been very harsh. Combined with the 15 mph cutoff having to pedal hard to hit a few jump lines I’m finding the bike not fun to ride in some situations. Need to dial in the suspension better and get that up date to 20mph cutoff and that should help things for me But with my Gen 3 levo im finding the pivot sl is leaving something more to be desired . Again it’s only my opinion and everyone wants a different feel. Maybe I’m just more of a full power emtber.

ollie3856

Aug 16, 2020
Sonoma
Was super excited about the latest Ride review and he mulleted it with a rear coil only to find out again it’s not in English. My comparison is from a Gen 3 Levo and I don’t need the extra power and weight . But I’m finding the ride over chatter at high speeds of the top end is not subtle and has been very harsh. Combined with the 15 mph cutoff having to pedal hard to hit a few jump lines I’m finding the bike not fun to ride in some situations. Need to dial in the suspension better and get that up date to 20mph cutoff and that should help things for me But with my Gen 3 levo im finding the pivot sl is leaving something more to be desired . Again it’s only my opinion and everyone wants a different feel. Maybe I’m just more of a full power emtber.
I have had mine for a little while now and agree about the suspension, but have also experienced the same with out-of-the-box Fox 36 in the past...the emtb 'tune' is likely geared towards heavier riders, so I'm at 15-20 psi below the recommended for my weight and it made it a little better...friend of mine mentioned that a lot of new fox 36 go out way overpacked with grease so getting a tune up might also help. Agree on the update, that needs to be rolled out to customers and not just dealers, why bother making the software that enables you to do the update available, but not make the update itself available to anyone but dealers...Overall I'm really enjoying riding it (coming from a Levo SL), once the updated FW is available and I dial in the fork a little more I think I'll be even happier.

MarkE192

Aug 1, 2022
USA
I was fortunate to get my hands on a size large Team build back in the first week of September. I am 5'10" tall and weigh 195lbs. I would consider myself and aggressive vet rider. I have owned 8 different emtb's over the last 3 years so I do have some knowledge and experience with both full power and lightweight emtb's. The first thing I notice was the bike was a little long for me. I probably would have been better on the medium. I was able to get more comfortable by changing out the stem and playing with the seat as well as bar height. The brakes where another issue I addressed right away, upgrading the rotor size in both front and rear. With about 150 miles on the bike I have been really impressed with its performance both climbing and descending. The pedaling platform is very , very efficient. The bike is very quiet no rattling down the hill or whining up. This becomes really evident when I ride my Shuttle and my Yeti back to back or when pedaling next to my wife on her Rise. I do get a creaking sound from the frame when standing and pedaling but have been told pivot is working on an upgrade to the bushing that is causing the noise. Until then I will just have to live with it. The suspension has been a great surprise. I was concerned about the 132mm rear travel. This is the shortest travel bike I have owned to date. Riding the bike on green, blue and black trials I have never felt under biked.(or over biked) This bike works for 95% of the trails I ride. I did add volume spacers to both the fork and shock as I was bottoming out on a few drops on my local trails. Don't let anyone tell you weight doesn't really matter on an ebike especially when you couple it with a true mid powered motor. Both my Levo SL and my Kenevo SL would wear me out on my local climbs not only because of the lack of power but because I had to ride in eco in order to complete the loop without running out of battery. On my full powered Levo, Kenevo, and now Yeti the climbs can be a breeze but when attacking long downhills fatigue sets in. The first ride on the Shuttle SL had me wanting to ride further and longer than when on my FF bikes or my old SL bikes. The bike seems to be a really good balance between power and weight. I would have many more miles on this bike if I hadn't been plagued with the firmware and other issues that have been discussed on this site. The bike is currently at the shop awaiting a complete motor replacement. Looks like there is lubricate leaking from the drive side crank seal. I really hope Fazua gets this figured out. The shuttle SL is one of the best riding bikes I have ever owned but that does me know good if it is in the shop more than on the trail.

Just in time

Sep 20, 2022
Minnesota
Update here : Dialed In the suspension and it’s definitely riding way more plush off the top and not as teeth jarring . Also the creaking is slightly coming back and I can only assume it’s gonna get worse . Hope for that fix because they will have some very unhappy riders with that creaking. On the other hand The bike is a well balanced shredder no doubt fun to ride .

Last edited:

MarkE192

Aug 1, 2022
USA
I have had mine for a little while now and agree about the suspension, but have also experienced the same with out-of-the-box Fox 36 in the past...the emtb 'tune' is likely geared towards heavier riders, so I'm at 15-20 psi below the recommended for my weight and it made it a little better...friend of mine mentioned that a lot of new fox 36 go out way overpacked with grease so getting a tune up might also help. Agree on the update, that needs to be rolled out to customers and not just dealers, why bother making the software that enables you to do the update available, but not make the update itself available to anyone but dealers...Overall I'm really enjoying riding it (coming from a Levo SL), once the updated FW is available and I dial in the fork a little more I think I'll be even happier.
It is my understaning from talking to my local suspension guy that the etune is lighter than the standard fork and shock tune. I added volume spacers to the fork and the shock. Running 4 in the front and went to a .9 spacer in the rear. Stock it came with 3 in the front and .7 in the rear. This allowed me to reduce my PSI in the front from 97 PSI to 90 PSI and from 215 to 200 in the rear and still maintain the same sag. I weigh just under 200 lbs and that setup gives me 20% sag in the front and right on Pivots sag line in the rear. I also am running a little more low speed compression than i have in the past by a couple clicks. Suspension feels supportive but not harsh and no big bottom outs.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles