Kenevo Gen1 2023 kenevo comp fattie

bomber123

Nov 12, 2023
uk
Best i start with this, my Trek9.9 bosch 2018 2.8 tyres full sus has been amazing but lacked suspension on the big trails.
So i upgraded to a New kenevo comp fattie full power.
My problem is the rolling drag is horrendous. nothing is binding but between jumps it drags. my trek wouldnt do this.
between jumps im having to pedal hard as the motor cuts out 15mph and cant get enough speed. i feel like ive took a stepbackwards as i could clear these jumps before.

does anyone else have this issue, my dealer says the bike is fine also ( battery consumption is very high)

GeordieKenevo

May 12, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Best i start with this, my Trek9.9 bosch 2018 2.8 tyres full sus has been amazing but lacked suspension on the big trails.
So i upgraded to a New kenevo comp fattie full power.
My problem is the rolling drag is horrendous. nothing is binding but between jumps it drags. my trek wouldnt do this.
between jumps im having to pedal hard as the motor cuts out 15mph and cant get enough speed. i feel like ive took a stepbackwards as i could clear these jumps before.

does anyone else have this issue, my dealer says the bike is fine also ( battery consumption is very high)
What tyres and what width are they? Also what pressures are you running them at?

bomber123

Nov 12, 2023
uk
I’m running 25psi in the rear
Front 28psi
My trek had fatter tyres and I ran 22 rear 25 front and had no roll issues

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I’m running 25psi in the rear
Front 28psi
My trek had fatter tyres and I ran 22 rear 25 front and had no roll issues
What tyres/wheel sizes?
I typically run front tyre quite a bit softer than the rear.........I run 2.5 tyres 29in typically at 18 front 20 rear for forest trails, 20 front 22 rear for more rocky terrain. Pressures are however unlikely to be your issue.....more likely the actual tyres you are using and the compound of those tyres.

OrangePower

Jul 12, 2022
Slovenia
My old 2020 Kenevo did not feel like I have anchor behind me (maxxis asegai and minion dhr combo). I bought 2023 Kenevo and still have with original tires on it and it feels like you described. I have to peddal a lot more like my buddy on 2023 Levo with original tires. Why, I dont know..

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
When I got my 22 Kenevo elite it seemed to have a lot of drag, the stock tires have huge grip….. but the tread is like playdoo. T9 rubber is awesome in the wet but it rolls like you are low on air. My advice is pull the front one and mount a faster rolling tire and save the other tire to replace the rear when it dies. I use a 2.8 wild enduro.

uamvar

Aug 22, 2023
Scotland
OP, I have the same bike as you, and yes it feels super draggy in stock form. I will be changing out the tyres and going tubeless once I decide whether to go with 29er wheels or not. Other than that the bike feels fabulous I have to say. Anyway let us know how you get on with a tyre change...

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Why are you running such high pressure in the front vs the rear?

I run 20-22F and 25-27R depending on conditions. But I mix between Conti and Maxxis rubber.

What's the weight of your Kenevo?

Jimmy22

Dec 25, 2021
Calgary
‘23 kenevo expert, swapped the boxxer for a fox 38 and run maxxis tires. It’s definitely heavier (and slacker) than my gen 3 levo but the difference is no where near what you are describing. I‘m in Canada so motors don’t drop off until 32 kmh

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
The front tire steers and does most of your braking, you should be running a little less pressure in it compared to the rear to unlock its full traction potential. The rear supports most of your weight and takes more abuse because of it so running it higher helps a lot with rolling resistance, rim damage and flat protection.

D

thbryson1962

Sep 2, 2020
US
My 2021 set up as a 29er with a fox 38 has no drag at all probably the best climbing bike I've ever owned..
18f. 23r pulls better and faster as a 29er I'm in USA

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
Yea, my 2022 expert came with 2.6’s, REALLY SLOW rolling tires but they grip like crazy. I live in the northeast U.S., home of wet roots and slick rocks. The T9 rubber compound will also not last long with road rides…. Some trails are about 5 miles from my house so I ride to them a far amount but 10 miles of road each ride killed the rear tire pretty fast.

dixie

Apr 16, 2019
isle of wight
Can someone let me know...the 23/24 kenevo comp comes with a fox 38 rythm fork...will that take a 29er wheel? Like is it 27.5/ 29.
Cheers. I also see they've gone back to coil shock. ??? As my 2020 kenevo ate coils weekly and I had to swap for dpx2 as per specialized stated? Any Info. Thanks

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
A 29 wheel might fit but when fully compressed but the crown to tyre gap won’t be enough for a safe ride hence why they make wheel specific forks . You could change the lowers to 29 for that extra room but probably easier to sell them and buy some 29ers .
As for the shock I’m not 100% but think on the 1st gen2’s there were issues with the shaft coming loose and losing oil so they replaced them with air shocks . They must’ve sorted it now and gone back to coil . I had the dpx2 warranty upgraded but use a Super Drluxe Ultimate which I’m happy with 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles