2023 Giant Trance X E+ / E+ Elite

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Is the Trance X E+ Elite even compatible with a 800wh or it's only 400wh ? Can't find the information.

I think the only way to get decent range here with the 400wh is to decrease torque on lower assist levels like it's the strategy for light eMTBs, but you still have the option to have full boost when needed.
Not sure. Giant isn't awesome about updating details. I'd hope that it wasn't yet another Energypak format.

Curt_H

Apr 3, 2022
Twin lakes, CO
Adding a 250wh range extender battery to a 400wh = 650, or add to a 800wh = 1050
Add an 800wh? Where does 800wh battery come into the conversation on this new bike?

Adding a 250wh range extender battery to a 400wh = 650, or add to a 800wh = 1050

I can't find any info if this is 250 range extender battery compatible but That would be a serious deal sweetener!

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Add an 800wh? Where does 800wh battery come into the conversation on this new bike?

I can't find any info if this is 250 range extender battery compatible but That would be a serious deal sweetener!
I think the assumption was that the bike might be able to take the 800wh battery. Not sure if it can or not.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
I think it would make no sense for this bike to be compatible with the 800wh.

The only confirmed battery related information I read is that it's got a 400wh battery and is compatible with a new 200wh battery range extender for a total of 600wh.

MY23-Trance-X-Advanced-E-EL-0_Color-A-Mirage_D-10.jpg

Giantext1.jpg

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
Is the Trance X E+ Elite even compatible with a 800wh or it's only 400wh ? Can't find the information.

I think the only way to get decent range here with the 400wh is to decrease torque on lower assist levels like it's the strategy for light eMTBs, but you still have the option to have full boost when needed.
yeah, that's the point. light bike with low power or light bike with full power.

I was about ELITE bikes: 400+ 250 option: 650wh
previus ebikes up to 800 + 250 : 1050wh

I already own a 22 Trance X Adv E+2. I can't see spending the money on this. Maybe my opinion will change. I am trying to think if I was looking at this as not already owning a ebike. The 23 Orbea Rise seems to be a better value. And the Trek, Transition, and Pivot have a stealth look. I do like the full-power option.

whats those bikes max NM option??

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain

no no, it's not about that.

just comparing Trance E+ vs Trance E+ Elite
Elite models come with in-tube battery 400wh, only option today. Not removable. You can add extender 200 or even 250
The non Elite bikes are up to 800 battery and you can add also the 200 or 250 extender

Customize motor tune give you many options to play with battery range...now you have all the assist modes modifications and also NM torque (20-85) to set what ever you need in each assist mode. which means tons of versatility and playable bike.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Both have a max of 85nm.
It is literally the same motor right. Kinda weird positioning from Giant, seeing as they saved a bunch of R&D costs from not needing to develop a new motor, and arguably from just stuffing batteries into the top tube in a non-removable fashion (again the easy way out). Would have liked to see them make the pricing more competitive. We see again that bike prices are set purely by demand, rather than costs/performance.

That being said it is probably a great bike looking at the geo, here's hoping we see more entry level versions eventually like orbea did with the alu models. Hoping Giant can apply those chainstays and BB height to the next reign!

dirtridingAZ

Feb 21, 2023
Scottsdale, AZ
It is literally the same motor right. Kinda weird positioning from Giant, seeing as they saved a bunch of R&D costs from not needing to develop a new motor, and arguably from just stuffing batteries into the top tube in a non-removable fashion (again the easy way out). Would have liked to see them make the pricing more competitive. We see again that bike prices are set purely by demand, rather than costs/performance.

That being said it is probably a great bike looking at the geo, here's hoping we see more entry level versions eventually like orbea did with the alu models. Hoping Giant can apply those chainstays and BB height to the next reign!
They offer a carbon/alum version. Specs are not that far off other bikes in that price range.
Trance X Advanced E+ Elite 3 (2023) | bike | Giant Bicycles US
As I mentioned, I have a 22 Trance X Adv E+2. There is not enough in this bike to want me to sell mine and get this. But if I were shopping in general. This bike hits a lot of the checkboxes overall. IMO, it fits in the gap between the full power and mid power as far as weight. Yet on demand, you can use the full-power if needed on the trial. Add an extender for big rides and it will fit right in.

My after-work rides use up around 40% of the 625 battery.

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
I’m not changing my Reign E+ yet but this bike looks like a winner…
Hope Rob gets to try one soon ! 😊
Just watched a vid from single track magazine on the tube from the launch and the guy quoted there is an alloy version of the bike coming that will have the 800 battery. With the new geo this has that would be more my cup of tea than 18kg on a 400

Curt_H

Apr 3, 2022
Twin lakes, CO
Just watched a vid from single track magazine on the tube from the launch and the guy quoted there is an alloy version of the bike coming that will have the 800 battery. With the new geo this has that would be more my cup of tea than 18kg on a 400
So it sounds like pretty much the same as the current trance E (800wh) but with a 27.5 real wheel and therefore a shorter chainstay. Any other differences that were indicated?

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
So it sounds like pretty much the same as the current trance E (800wh) but with a 27.5 real wheel and therefore a shorter chainstay. Any other differences that were indicated?
No, didn’t go into anymore details on it, but I’d assume it would have the revised motor. I’d be in if it was around 21-22kg

RAYDAHS

Dec 4, 2021
USA
Here's a new discussion with Giant about the Elite bike...

timestamped

Something that might be intriguing to existing PX2 Motor users...the new app will be backwards compatible, so you can get in on the adjustments on a 800w battery as well...

timestamped

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps

Excatly, turn down the torque, assitance and launch to extend the range or wou will run out of juice quickly.
It is marked as a full power light E-MTB, but to be fair, it is like a Orbea Rise with an open motor and not limited to 60NM for example. Giant is too late to marked with it and had to find a smart way to position it.
I would have considered it if the battery could be removed, but with the current in-tube battery it is a no-go for me.
No, you can't have any other battery - only a 200Wh Range extender.

oettam20

Mar 3, 2021
Lugano
Excatly, turn down the torque, assitance and launch to extend the range or wou will run out of juice quickly.
It is marked as a full power light E-MTB, but to be fair, it is like a Orbea Rise with an open motor and not limited to 60NM for example. Giant is too late to marked with it and had to find a smart way to position it.
I would have considered it if the battery could be removed, but with the current in-tube battery it is a no-go for me.
Right, It's like an EP8 RS with the ST-Unlocker software provided by the motor producer. You can set a profile for a very natural / analogic riding experience like the RS and one for pure uphill fun like the full power e-bike... Very smart!
It's a pity that is not possible to change the battery on the go, because carrying just 2 kg in the backpack would be a nice option for epic rides....

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
Right, It's like an EP8 RS with the ST-Unlocker software provided by the motor producer. You can set a profile for a very natural / analogic riding experience like the RS and one for pure uphill fun like the full power e-bike... Very smart!
It's a pity that is not possible to change the battery on the go, because carrying just 2 kg in the backpack would be a nice option for epic rides....
Could always double up on the extender, one on the bike, one in the back pack. I think there under 2kg, and give you 800wh 🤔

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
do you carry a secondary battery while riding??

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
I used to run a range extender with a 625 but when the 800 came out I sold the RE and bought the 8. It’s a pain loosing the water bottle on long runs. If the 400 was removable I would certainly look at a spare in the backpack.

sparrow

Mar 22, 2019
Rivendell123
I’m pretty sure you’d damage the battery on the Orbea setting that RS motor over the factory settings.

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
Mine is a carbon frame.
I am just saying if you are doing a lite-weight ebike. With offerings like Trek, Pivot, and Transition. A full-power motor/smaller battery seems odd. It would not be a huge change overall, IMO. I like my Trance, so I'm not downing the brand. Just hopeful for more than just a battery size option. Would it not have been a cheaper option to just produce a 500-watt battery for the current model?
They actually made a lighter frame/battery assembly smaller rear wheel with a design that is closer to the non-ebike Trance X.
By a comparison between the model 2 vs the regular Trance X + model 2, exactly the same components , the net weight saving is about 1.3 Kg on top of the weight saving due to the smaller battery.

sparrow

Mar 22, 2019
Rivendell123
They actually made a lighter frame/battery assembly smaller rear wheel with a design that is closer to the non-ebike Trance X.
By a comparison between the model 2 vs the regular Trance X + model 2, exactly the same components , the net weight saving is about 1.3 Kg on top of the weight saving due to the smaller battery.
I think the new Elite models are in a category of their own. Transition/Orbea/Specialized and Trek, light e-bikes have their niche, but I’d need two e-bikes to suit me. The Elite and the range extender should give me two bikes in one.

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
The 2, SLX, full carbon frame including the link, SLX drivetrain with deore cassette, SLX brakes, Fox 36 performance, Fox DPS, DHF 2.5, Reckon 2.4.

Claimed weight is 20.4 Kg.

Ordered one in size M with a good discount. Delivery expected by wk 16.
The bike should be coming soon. Looking for some upgrade.
I'm going to buy an Sqlab Ergowave S2 rail saddle. It's an ergonomic, nice Looking, lightweight saddle (about 200 g vs 325 g of the stock Giant Romero saddle).

Very undecided about the wheels.
Stock wheels , Giant AM E-bike are mullet, Shimano MT410 CL hubs (shitty for an E-bike?), 32 Sapim "E-lite"and Race spokes and bits . The rims that are shown on Giant website look with eyelets 20ish mm height. The estimated wheelset weight is about 2300 g.

Got a deal for 480 € for a custom built brand new wheelset, minor rim scratches due to storage, with Newmen Evolution SL A30, DT 240 hybrid 30T ratchet, 28 DT competition spokes, expected weight 1850 g. I can get at the same price the same set, but with the Newmen E.G 30 rims, that is the brand E-bike/Gravity rim, approx+100 g per pair. The Newmen rims /wheels reviews and user feedback look good and the rim in the SL A30 version seems particularly resistant to denting. I'm quite light at about 60 Kg, but think these wheels would be strong enough for trail/AM riding and will handle lighter than the stock wheelset. However, I'm not sure this would be a real upgrade in terms of wheel stiffness and global bike performance. A further option would be asking the wheel builder for thicker spokes 2 mm or 2.3-2 on SL A30 rims to make a stiffer wheel, perhaps stiffer then E.G rims and DT competition spokes and a bit lighter.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles