2023 Giant Trance X E+ / E+ Elite

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
The standard AM wheels are ok, had no issues with the hubs, but I had to top up the air on a weekly basis with mine so I think it’s a worthy up grade In performance and weight. I went with mavic deemax on my trance but with your weight you can easily go with a much lighter build. However, first upgrade for me would be a range extender 😊. I do long days so really interested to see if the bike could work for me

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
The standard AM wheels are ok, had no issues with the hubs, but I had to top up the air on a weekly basis with mine so I think it’s a worthy up grade In performance and weight. I went with mavic deemax on my trance but with your weight you can easily go with a much lighter build. However, first upgrade for me would be a range extender 😊. I do long days so really interested to see if the bike could work for me
Thanks, did you get the base E-deemax or the S version? Any issue of spokes coming loose on the Mavic? I'll evaluate the range extender after some use and...when it will be available on the market.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Thanks, did you get the base E-deemax or the S version? Any issue of spokes coming loose on the Mavic? I'll evaluate the range extender after some use and...when it will be available on the market.
I’ve got the E-Deemax S30. No issues after 3500km, just done the usual freehub maintenance, very happy with them. Not the lightest set out there but helped by running 2.35 xc tyres and xtr rotors

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
I’ve got the E-Deemax S30. No issues after 3500km, just done the usual freehub maintenance, very happy with them. Not the lightest set out there but helped by running 2.35 xc tyres and xtr rotors
The E-deemax 27.5 S is only available as S35, so 35 mm inner with, and probably, as you mentioned a lighter set would fit better my low weight and light e-bike setup. Did you get dents on the AM stock wheels and what was the feeling with the DPS Shock? The last time I had an inline Fox shock happend several years ago on a Trek Remedy that had a very active and plush rear end. I remember that at the end of fast rocky descents it was heating up, but I couldn't really tell the performance were degrading due to temperature increase.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Got the odd mark here and there on the AM rims but no real dents to speak of. The DPS shock is a noticeable upgrade over standard. I’m not a very sensitive rider but it does feel linear throughout the stroke and brings more comfort, important for me on long rides. Not noticed any drop off in performance after 6+ hrs of riding, but that is of course trail/ AM not dh.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Claimed weight is 20.4 Kg.

Giant's claimed weights are the worst I have ever seen. I just bought a Large Elite 2. 21.3 Kg with 384g pedals. My plan was to do a custom build and get it close to 18kg. There's no way, and there's no possible way the Elite 0 is the claimed ~18.5 kg I have seen floating around, not with Live Valve and those wheels.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Very undecided about the wheels.
Stock wheels , Giant AM E-bike are mullet, Shimano MT410 CL hubs (shitty for an E-bike?), 32 Sapim "E-lite"and Race spokes and bits . The rims that are shown on Giant website look with eyelets 20ish mm height. The estimated wheelset weight is about 2300 g.
They are 1030.9 g front, 1209.2 g rear.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Giant's claimed weights are the worst I have ever seen. I just bought a Large Elite 2. 21.3 Kg with 384g pedals. My plan was to do a custom build and get it close to 18kg. There's no way, and there's no possible way the Elite 0 is the claimed ~18.5 kg I have seen floating around, not with Live Valve and those wheels.
I was thinking of doing the same with that model but it’s so expensive to do the upgrades. I can lose 3/4 kg off my body weight and have the same affect and it’ll save me ££££. Shame they don’t do a frame only option for the 0 as I don’t like the live valve, would be nice to do your own build on it.

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
I agree it is impossibile the 0 is 18.8 kg
I agree. The Zipp wheels are close to 2 kg. My estimate was 19.5 kg, based on 1 and 2 claimed weight and assuming, as per data sheet description, the zero claimed weight is tubeless setup, while the other are not. Is your L 21.3 kg (with 0.4 kg pedals) with tubes or tubeless?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I agree it is impossibile the 0 is 18.8 kg

I agree. The Zipp wheels are close to 2 kg. My estimate was 19.5 kg, based on 1 and 2 claimed weight and assuming, as per data sheet description, the zero claimed weight is tubeless setup, while the other are not. Is your L 21.3 kg (with 0.4 kg pedals) with tubes or tubeless?
That's bone stock with tubes. The tubes are super heavy, 340g each.

With custom parts I calculated I could save just about exactly 5lbs (i.e. 2.27 kg) on the Elite 2, putting it at almost 19kg exactly (41.9 lbs). Still trying to decide if it's worth it...

I'm going to take a good look at the Pivot Shuttle SL. I know it's a 60NM motor but the boost function looks really interesting. I had a 37lb Orbea Rise build that was really good *except* on really steep climbs. The Shuttle has a bigger battery and more power on tap (for 12 second bursts anyway :) )

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
That's bone stock with tubes. The tubes are super heavy, 340g each.

With custom parts I calculated I could save just about exactly 5lbs (i.e. 2.27 kg) on the Elite 2, putting it at almost 19kg exactly (41.9 lbs). Still trying to decide if it's worth it...

I'm going to take a good look at the Pivot Shuttle SL. I know it's a 60NM motor but the boost function looks really interesting. I had a 37lb Orbea Rise build that was really good *except* on really steep climbs. The Shuttle has a bigger battery and more power on tap (for 12 second bursts anyway :) )
Ok, so the estimated weight without pedal and tubeless would be about 20.5 kg, so being a slightly heavier L size,my conclusion is the claimed weight of 20.4 Kg is correct , but in tubeless setup. One more reason to say the 0 weight is not possible at all, as it should be a bit less than 20 kg.

My setup, for a budget of about 900 €, on top of 5200 € (20% discount) for the bike purchasing cost could be 19.6 Kg by:
-Sqlab 611 S saddle: -125 g
-XT cassette: -125 g
-Newmen SL A30, DT hybrid 240, DT comp:-400 g
-Raceface next 760 handlebar: -90 g
-Magura Storm HC rotors 2mm :-50 g

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Thanks. Could you post a picture of the wheels, showing the rims? Are the Sapim race spokes 2-1.8-2 only on the front?
I don't think the spokes are butted at all on my wheels. Hubs are Deore front and rear, rims are house brand.

Here's all the stuff I weighed (and estimates on the others) vs the upgrades I would do; the items in bold I actually weighed.

PXL_20230414_180157418.jpg PXL_20230414_180211516.jpg

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
I don't think the spokes are butted at all on my wheels. Hubs are Deore front and rear, rims are house brand.

Here's all the stuff I weighed (and estimates on the others) vs the upgrades I would do; the items in bold I actually weighed.

View attachment 111573 View attachment 111574
Thanks for sharing. So, the handlebar weight matches the non SL version weight, as the SL listed in the spec sheet is 270 g and the spokes are not butted vs "Sapim E-Lite" rear (impossibile to find them by googling , but sounded like thicker butted spokes) , Sapim race Front. The stem instead matches the claimed weight.

Dmaguirenz

Nov 22, 2021
New zealand

Hello there,
Whats your opinion on ride quality. The build looks ok, I have a Levo gen3, im interested in how the head angle changes the feel. It seems a bit steeper compared to alot of the newer bikes?
Tia

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Hello there,
Whats your opinion on ride quality. The build looks ok, I have a Levo gen3, im interested in how the head angle changes the feel. It seems a bit steeper compared to alot of the newer bikes?
Tia
Surprised how stable it feels. I only did a test ride though. I have 2 weeks to return the bike as long as I don't ride it so I'm still debating...

bglidin

May 5, 2020
So Cal
Has anyone who owns an elite have any real range numbers ? They claim 21 extreme miles but on what setting. I am looking at the Elite 2 but am concerned about range even with an extender.

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy

My Elite 2 delivery was for this week, but the new forecast is wk 18.

Are the spokes 28 instead of 32 reported in the Giant website pictures?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
My Elite 2 delivery was for this week, but the new forecast is wk 18.

Are the spokes 28 instead of 32 reported in the Giant website pictures?
Not sure, sorry. I returned the bike. It wasn't what I was looking for unfortunately, going after something lighter.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Rise, trek fuel ???
I got a Pivot Shuttle SL. I wouldn't have considered a lower powered bike except that the Fazua Ride 60 has the extra 450w "boost" mode.

Mini review:

I got the ProX01 build because it was the only thing available (and I got a good price). It's 41.6 lbs OOTB with pedals. I calculate I can shave 3 lbs off pretty easily. I have no idea how they get it down to the claimed 36.25 lbs, even without pedals. Even a small with no sealant...that seems like complete BS.

I'm very impressed with the build. Very thoughtful design. Cable routing is straightforward (no headset routing!). They have nice covers for all the cable ports that are not left/right specific, and blank covers for when you go wireless. Internal routing isn't overly confined (i.e. on the Crafty all the cables pass through heatshrink tubing that's stuck to the battery, it's impossible to run a new cable without dropping the motor and battery). They make a 10mm offset lower headset cup in case you want to run a Fox 34 instead of 36. Great standover clearance too.

Still trying to decide if it will fit the bill. I've done 2 rides so far. It's very fun to ride but noticeably less power than my Crafty, even in boost mode. Trying to decide if that's ok :p The boost mode is nice but also a little crazy when it stops (it lasts 12 seconds max). The big test will be in the local state park, where the climbs are pretty ridiculous.

Unfortunately Fazua says there will be no range extender in 2023 :( I haven't really pushed the battery yet but did discover an annoying bug. According to Fazua the bike stays "active" for about 8 hours after it was last used. This equated to ~8% battery drain overnight. That's WAY too much. They said it should be fixed with a firmware update. Meanwhile I find if I leave it on the charger it doesn't drain so it must be smart enough to use the charger for power (it's not charging the battery either, when idle). That being said the range looks like it will be decent, good for at least 20 miles in "rocket" mode.

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
I got a Pivot Shuttle SL. I wouldn't have considered a lower powered bike except that the Fazua Ride 60 has the extra 450w "boost" mode.

Mini review:

I got the ProX01 build because it was the only thing available (and I got a good price). It's 41.6 lbs OOTB with pedals. I calculate I can shave 3 lbs off pretty easily. I have no idea how they get it down to the claimed 36.25 lbs, even without pedals. Even a small with no sealant...that seems like complete BS.

I'm very impressed with the build. Very thoughtful design. Cable routing is straightforward (no headset routing!). They have nice covers for all the cable ports that are not left/right specific, and blank covers for when you go wireless. Internal routing isn't overly confined (i.e. on the Crafty all the cables pass through heatshrink tubing that's stuck to the battery, it's impossible to run a new cable without dropping the motor and battery). They make a 10mm offset lower headset cup in case you want to run a Fox 34 instead of 36. Great standover clearance too.

Still trying to decide if it will fit the bill. I've done 2 rides so far. It's very fun to ride but noticeably less power than my Crafty, even in boost mode. Trying to decide if that's ok :p The boost mode is nice but also a little crazy when it stops (it lasts 12 seconds max). The big test will be in the local state park, where the climbs are pretty ridiculous.

Unfortunately Fazua says there will be no range extender in 2023 :( I haven't really pushed the battery yet but did discover an annoying bug. According to Fazua the bike stays "active" for about 8 hours after it was last used. This equated to ~8% battery drain overnight. That's WAY too much. They said it should be fixed with a firmware update. Meanwhile I find if I leave it on the charger it doesn't drain so it must be smart enough to use the charger for power (it's not charging the battery either, when idle). That being said the range looks like it will be decent, good for at least 20 miles in "rocket" mode.
Is the Pivot Shuttle SL rear suspension stiffer than the Trance X Advanced Elite?

twitchyzero

Apr 11, 2023
PNW
interested in the 2 but the local giant has a 3 to try out
how much $$ is the battery extender? I wish it was internally 540Wh like the Obrea Rise...ugh extenders feel so 2006

bglidin

May 5, 2020
So Cal
interested in the 2 but the local giant has a 3 to try out
how much $$ is the battery extender? I wish it was internally 540Wh like the Obrea Rise...ugh extenders feel so 2006
I was told the extender was going to be 500.00. Yes 540 would have nice. I should be able to have some real world numbers over the next week. I am hoping their estimate of 21 miles of extreme riding is accurate.

twitchyzero

Apr 11, 2023
PNW
I was told the extender was going to be 500.00. Yes 540 would have nice. I should be able to have some real world numbers over the next week. I am hoping their estimate of 21 miles of extreme riding is accurate.
the extender are the new panasonics as well? hopefully not a carryover from last year if they're not available yet.

How long did you have to wait for your bike?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles