2023 Giant Trance X E+ / E+ Elite

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
Yep, I suppose you could figure the drop on a 29 (up front) and a 27.5 (on the back) and split the difference for a BB height half way between?
If you look at Reign E+ mullet bb drop and actual bb height you can find in the reviews, it seems matching the rear wheel radius-bb drop.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
If you look at Reign E+ mullet bb drop and actual bb height you can find in the reviews, it seems matching the rear wheel radius-bb drop.
I wonder if the Elite BB drop is accurate. They have 10mm low and high. That seems unlikely. The Reign has 25/15 low/high.
Also, it just may not be that big of a deal.

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
I wonder if the Elite BB drop is accurate. They have 10mm low and high. That seems unlikely. The Reign has 25/15 low/high.
Also, it just may not be that big of a deal.
I believe they realized the Reign was sitting too low and getting too much pedal strikes.
@Rubinstein you are right 😀 please understand I bought one and I'm waiting 2 more wks for the delivery and @Montana St Alum seems keen getting one.

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
I think the attached pic shows the bike in high position (bb drop=0): it looks the bb, the rear wheel and front wheel hub centre are all at the same height.

MY23TranceXAdvancedEplusEL2_ColorAAmberGlow (1).jpg

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
I think the attached pic shows the bike in high position (bb drop=0): it looks the bb, the rear wheel and front wheel hub centre are all at the same height.

View attachment 112562
Pretty level.
The Elite 2 is nice looking.
The only component that I can think of on the Elite 3 that might be worth replacing might be the discs (if they're resin only) and the pads, if they're resin and that likely would only be after they wear. Maybe DHRII on the back end. My wife runs the Dissector 27.5 rear on her bike and may be due soon. Pretty dry here in Utah.

Last edited:

Ridemore

Apr 25, 2023
Idaho
I picked up a large EL2 a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it. I thought I'd reply to some of the questions previously posted in an effort to help others that might be interested (my other bikes I will be comparing to are a '21 Trance X Advanced Pro 1 and a '21 Trance X e+ Pro 1)
-Regarding the steeper head angle. All 3 bikes were set in the low position when new and I don't notice much of a difference.
-Regarding range, I got approximately 21 miles out of a full charge on the EL2. I weigh 170 and was riding rolly terrain mostly in level 3 and occasionally using levels 2, 4, and Auto. I have an extender on order and since it uses the same battery cells, I'm expecting it to extend the range to just over 30 miles. The longest ride I did on my '21 TX e+P1 (625wh battery) was 23 mi.
20230422_171926.jpg
and I used levels 3-5 on steeper, rockier terrain and had 20% battery left.
-Someone asked about spoke count. The EL2 has 34 front and rear.
-Handlebar to seat height comparrison - all three bikes came with 20mm rise bars. The '21 TXAP1 and '23 EL2 are almost exactly the same in seat to bar height and feel comfortable to me. The '21 TXe+P1 felt noticebly lower so I added a Spank Vibrocore 40mm rise and it felt great. I really do think the Vibrocore gives a more comfortable ride. The '21 TXA P1 came with carbon bars and they feel similar to the Vibrocore in comfort. The 35 alloy bars an the EL2 do feel a little buzzy compared to the other two so I may end up getting Spank Vibrocore 25mm rise in the future.
-Thanks for everyone's input here, I enjoy hearing other's opinions and information. Keep it coming!

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
I picked up a large EL2 a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it. I thought I'd reply to some of the questions previously posted in an effort to help others that might be interested (my other bikes I will be comparing to are a '21 Trance X Advanced Pro 1 and a '21 Trance X e+ Pro 1)
-Regarding the steeper head angle. All 3 bikes were set in the low position when new and I don't notice much of a difference.
-Regarding range, I got approximately 21 miles out of a full charge on the EL2. I weigh 170 and was riding rolly terrain mostly in level 3 and occasionally using levels 2, 4, and Auto. I have an extender on order and since it uses the same battery cells, I'm expecting it to extend the range to just over 30 miles. The longest ride I did on my '21 TX e+P1 (625wh battery) was 23 mi. View attachment 113057 and I used levels 3-5 on steeper, rockier terrain and had 20% battery left.
-Handlebar to seat height comparrison - all three bikes came with 20mm rise bars. The '21 TXAP1 and '23 EL2 are almost exactly the same in seat to bar height and feel comfortable to me. The '21 TXe+P1 felt noticebly lower so I added a Spank Vibrocore 40mm rise and it felt great. I really do think the Vibrocore gives a more comfortable ride. The '21 TXA P1 came with carbon bars and they feel similar to the Vibrocore in comfort. The 35 alloy bars an the EL2 do feel a little buzzy compared to the other two so I may end up getting Spank Vibrocore 25mm rise in the future.
-Thanks for everyone's input here, I enjoy hearing other's opinions and information. Keep it coming!
Great info! Thanks. How much elevation gain in those 21 miles? My LBS made a big deal out of the "Auto" mode, is that something you plan to use usually? What's the weight, about the same as the EL3?

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
-Regarding range, I got approximately 21 miles out of a full charge on the EL2. I weigh 170 and was riding rolly terrain mostly in level 3 and occasionally using levels 2, 4, and Auto. I have an extender on order and since it uses the same battery cells, I'm expecting it to extend the range to just over 30 miles. The longest ride I did on my '21 TX e+P1 (625wh battery) was 23 mi. View attachment 113057 and I used levels 3-5 on steeper, rockier terrain and had 20% battery left.
Have you done any motor tune, or are you on stock setting ?. Would be interesting to do a stock vs low nm output range comparison.

Ridemore

Apr 25, 2023
Idaho
Montana St Alum,
Great questions:
1. Mileage and elevation gain on the two rides that I did to drain the 400wh battery, per my Garmin watch were:
-11.06 mi - 997 elevation gain
-10.08 mi - 860 elevation gain
So over the 21.14 miles, 1857 gain.

2. Auto mode. Funny you'd ask: The two main things I notice about Auto mode (and it's the same on the EL2 as it is on my TXe+P1) is that it makes the motor quieter and that it requires higher pedal cadence to get the same support as the other modes. I use it sometimes when riding past hikers or dog walkers if they step off the trail for me (to make it quieter) but otherwise I prefer the other modes while riding. I'd guess Auto might use less battery? As a sidenote, the new 85nm is slightly quieter than the 80nm motor but neither seem offensive to me and neither have any knock on descents. Both are exceptional motors.

3. Weight: According to my super accurate 20+ yr old non-digital bathroom scale with my calibrated balancing skills keeping both bikes on their rear tires without putting any downforce on the handlebars and with my aging vision (obviously weight isn't my primary concern, fun is) the two bikes weigh as follows:
-'21 TXe+P1 - 53lbs
-'23 EL2 - 45lbs
Both bikes have bottle cages, Fox front mud guards, and Oneup plastic pedals, set up tubeless. Both are on stock tires but I have installed a Cushcore XC in the rear tire only of the EL2.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Montana St Alum,
Great questions:
1. Mileage and elevation gain on the two rides that I did to drain the 400wh battery, per my Garmin watch were:
-11.06 mi - 997 elevation gain
-10.08 mi - 860 elevation gain
So over the 21.14 miles, 1857 gain.

2. Auto mode. Funny you'd ask: The two main things I notice about Auto mode (and it's the same on the EL2 as it is on my TXe+P1) is that it makes the motor quieter and that it requires higher pedal cadence to get the same support as the other modes. I use it sometimes when riding past hikers or dog walkers if they step off the trail for me (to make it quieter) but otherwise I prefer the other modes while riding. I'd guess Auto might use less battery? As a sidenote, the new 85nm is slightly quieter than the 80nm motor but neither seem offensive to me and neither have any knock on descents. Both are exceptional motors.

3. Weight: According to my super accurate 20+ yr old non-digital bathroom scale with my calibrated balancing skills keeping both bikes on their rear tires without putting any downforce on the handlebars and with my aging vision (obviously weight isn't my primary concern, fun is) the two bikes weigh as follows:
-'21 TXe+P1 - 53lbs
-'23 EL2 - 45lbs
Both bikes have bottle cages, Fox front mud guards, and Oneup plastic pedals, set up tubeless. Both are on stock tires but I have installed a Cushcore XC in the rear tire only of the EL2.
Thanks, good info!
Yeah, the weight thing is me being mad at Giant. "Hey buy our $14000 bike, it only weighs 18.8Kg! We can't tell you what the others weight because we don't have a scale at the factory for cheap bikes!"

Oh, also, on your ride, had you dialed back max torque, or was it at the full 85NM available? I imagine running it down around 40-50 would give more range, but maybe not so much.

Last edited:

Ridemore

Apr 25, 2023
Idaho
Rubinstein,

Good questions too:
1. Here's how I have the five power modes set up;
1- 50nm: TQ mode
2- 60nm: Fazua, Shimano RS mode
3- 70nm: The mode I'll use the most
4- 80nm: Tribute to my trusty '21 - I'll use this mode second most
5- 85nm: Freddie Mercury mode - a tribute to the man: "I want it all and I want it NOW!"

It's really cool to be able to customize this bike and make it many bikes with many outputs and many ranges in one.

I don't remember the exact assistance and launch modes because I'm not able to check right now but I think assistance was progressive thru the modes and launch I left at 3 in all but mode 5 (obviously).

2. Your question about stock versus low nm output and how that effects range is intriguing but sounds punishing. Let me think about that. In the meantime, you could look at the graph on Giant's website to get an idea. It seems relatively accurate based off the way I have used my two Giant ebikes.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Rubinstein,

Good questions too:
1. Here's how I have the five power modes set up;
1- 50nm: TQ mode
2- 60nm: Fazua, Shimano RS mode
3- 70nm: The mode I'll use the most
4- 80nm: Tribute to my trusty '21 - I'll use this mode second most
5- 85nm: Freddie Mercury mode - a tribute to the man: "I want it all and I want it NOW!"

It's really cool to be able to customize this bike and make it many bikes with many outputs and many ranges in one.

I don't remember the exact assistance and launch modes because I'm not able to check right now but I think assistance was progressive thru the modes and launch I left at 3 in all but mode 5 (obviously).

2. Your question about stock versus low nm output and how that effects range is intriguing but sounds punishing. Let me think about that. In the meantime, you could look at the graph on Giant's website to get an idea. It seems relatively accurate based off the way I have used my two Giant ebikes.
Yeah, it's tough to estimate. I'm thinking 80 miles is probably not going to happen though, here in Utah! But 21 is fine with just the internal battery!

Ridemore

Apr 25, 2023
Idaho
We don't even know the true weight of the EL1 and EL0 since I don't think they arrive for a few more weeks. I've only seen the EL2 and EL3 so far.

The budget I set aside was for the EL2 and the bike is a lot of fun and approx 8 lbs lighter than my '21 so I'm stoked. If I wanted something truly light weight I would have had to pony up a lot more money and/or sacrificed power going with another brand and like someone else said, I would have needed a FF and a light weight (because a FF puts a big smile on my face and a light weight with reduced power doesnt so much - I've ridden the TQ, Fazua, and Shimano RS). The ELs are two bikes in one when you add a range extender.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
We don't even know the true weight of the EL1 and EL0 since I don't think they arrive for a few more weeks. I've only seen the EL2 and EL3 so far.

The budget I set aside was for the EL2 and the bike is a lot of fun and approx 8 lbs lighter than my '21 so I'm stoked. If I wanted something truly light weight I would have had to pony up a lot more money and/or sacrificed power going with another brand and like someone else said, I would have needed a FF and a light weight (because a FF puts a big smile on my face and a light weight with reduced power doesnt so much - I've ridden the TQ, Fazua, and Shimano RS). The ELs are two bikes in one when you add a range extender.
Yeah, the EL3 is light enough for me to put on the rack with a sore shoulder. That's my goal. Also, I've been riding up here for over 30 years on a Joe-powered bike, all above 6500". Any motor at all will be a bonus. I mainly want to do the same rides at a lower HR! I'll be interested to see how that works out.

Last edited:

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
Thank you!
Are you riding it in low or high position?
Could you take a measurement of the bottom bracket height in high or low?
How the 40 mm riser bar is affecting the handling, climbing and descending capacity?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Ridemore

Apr 25, 2023
Idaho
Oscar 74,

Sorry for the delayed response, been tied up.

1. I changed my EL2 to the low setting before I ever rode it.
2. On the Large EL2 in low setting, ground to center of crank is approx 13.5" w/ 11" ground clearance from the lowest point of the skid plate. For comparrison, my Large '21 TXE+P1 ground to center of crank is 13.25" w/ 9.5" ground clearance.
3. The 40mm rise Spank Vibrocore is on my '21 TXE+P1 because the 20mm and geometry of that bike felt low to me (other reviewers also mentioned this on that bike). Going from the stock 20 to the 40mm rise Spank didnt seem to impact general handling or climbing but made descents more comfortable and overall put less pressure on my hands. If I end up doing a Vibrocore on my EL2 I will get the 25 rise only because it feels about right to me for height and they only make the 35mn diameter Vibrocore in 25 and 40mm rise. I would be doing the Vibrocore on the EL2 for less buzz/more comfort not because I think it needs to be higher.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Oscar 74,

Sorry for the delayed response, been tied up.

1. I changed my EL2 to the low setting before I ever rode it.
2. On the Large EL2 in low setting, ground to center of crank is approx 13.5" w/ 11" ground clearance from the lowest point of the skid plate. For comparrison, my Large '21 TXE+P1 ground to center of crank is 13.25" w/ 9.5" ground clearance.
3. The 40mm rise Spank Vibrocore is on my '21 TXE+P1 because the 20mm and geometry of that bike felt low to me (other reviewers also mentioned this on that bike). Going from the stock 20 to the 40mm rise Spank didnt seem to impact general handling or climbing but made descents more comfortable and overall put less pressure on my hands. If I end up doing a Vibrocore on my EL2 I will get the 25 rise only because it feels about right to me for height and they only make the 35mn diameter Vibrocore in 25 and 40mm rise. I would be doing the Vibrocore on the EL2 for less buzz/more comfort not because I think it needs to be higher.
Just a thought on the Vibracore 40 Vs. 25. I expect you've already considered this but just in case, I recently put a 35mm rise One Up on my Trance 29. I was considering the 20mm rise, but I figured with the 35mm I had the rise if I needed it and could lower it by removing spacers more readily than I could raise the 20mm with spacers.
Also, on my Trance I have to use a bash guard. Does the motor on the El2 just act to protect the (rather large 36t) chainring?

Ridemore

Apr 25, 2023
Idaho
Just a thought on the Vibracore 40 Vs. 25. I expect you've already considered this but just in case, I recently put a 35mm rise One Up on my Trance 29. I was considering the 20mm rise, but I figured with the 35mm I had the rise if I needed it and could lower it by removing spacers more readily than I could raise the 20mm with spacers.
Also, on my Trance I have to use a bash guard. Does the motor on the El2 just act to protect the (rather large 36t) chainring?
Good call on the One Up 35 rise. That's another good option. They make a carbon ebike specific bar that has ovalized tubes that are supposed to flex more than a traditional round-tube bar.

I've never looked closely at the skid plate on the pre'21 Trance ebikes but on the '21 TXe+P1 it was a dual layer set up where the sides curved all the way down and met in the middle, then a skid plate fit over the enrire bottom from front to back and up both sides. It was made very robust. On the EL2 there are three pieces as well but the side pieces don't meet in the middle, they make the curve, then the bottom skid plate interlocks with it. It has some cooling/drainage vents and you can see the bottom of the motor through the vents. The skid plate is still pretty thick but you can tell they tried to save some weight.

As a side note. The Lizzard Skins Large Frame Protector (a leather-like, carbon fiber-look material) is the perfect width and decent length to provide some chip protection to the bottom of the frame where it meets the skid plate.

20230502_205927.jpg 20230502_205419.jpg 20230502_205540.jpg

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Good call on the One Up 35 rise. That's another good option. They make a carbon ebike specific bar that has ovalized tubes that are supposed to flex more than a traditional round-tube bar.

I've never looked closely at the skid plate on the pre'21 Trance ebikes but on the '21 TXe+P1 it was a dual layer set up where the sides curved all the way down and met in the middle, then a skid plate fit over the enrire bottom from front to back and up both sides. It was made very robust. On the EL2 there are three pieces as well but the side pieces don't meet in the middle, they make the curve, then the bottom skid plate interlocks with it. It has some cooling/drainage vents and you can see the bottom of the motor through the vents. The skid plate is still pretty thick but you can tell they tried to save some weight.

As a side note. The Lizzard Skins Large Frame Protector (a leather-like, carbon fiber-look material) is the perfect width and decent length to provide some chip protection to the bottom of the frame where it meets the skid plate.

View attachment 113398 View attachment 113399 View attachment 113400
Thanks. I had been running Fasst Flexx bars on my Trance 29, but they're quite heavy - but man, are they ever comfy! I might end up putting those on an EL3.

bglidin

May 5, 2020
So Cal
So I picked up the Elite 2 and will get it out this week. Shout out to Bicycle John’s in Canyon Country Ca for making this happen.
Lots of bits on order but no wrap kits available yet. Will make do with a roll of 3m tape for now.
Will update after I put some miles on it.
I did 17 miles today with 1900 ft of elevation. I was mostly in tour the whole time. I had 27% battery left and it was above 90 degrees. The giant app keeps disconnecting from the bike it maybe the phone going to sleep.

IMG_8548.jpeg

Olionabike

Jul 10, 2022
Lancashire
For people UK based, most of the bikes are coming into Giant stores in 3 weeks, XL is already available. I'm personally very excited to see/use the new EL model (work at Giant Store Blackburn) I've ridden the lightweight equivalents like the trek fuel exe and for me u just missed being able to have the power after so many miles so to be able to whack it up to 85nm and back to as low as 20nm appeals to me.
I think this bike will be perfect for the lighter riders looking for a more natural feeling bike but want the distance

bglidin

May 5, 2020
So Cal
Are you on stock motor settings?
No I have been tweaking the settings.
Will look and report back so it’s documented. I know there is more distance there if I willing to go slower. The bike has a lot of power there on tap the trick is how to use it and not kill the battery. I may factory reset the bike and try using active again on a ride. I have the extender on order.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
No I have been tweaking the settings.
Will look and report back so it’s documented. I know there is more distance there if I willing to go slower. The bike has a lot of power there on tap the trick is how to use it and not kill the battery. I may factory reset the bike and try using active again on a ride. I have the extender on order.
Great info. My sense, just riding around the parking lot, was that the motor was very quiet. Is that your assessment?

bglidin

May 5, 2020
So Cal
Great info. My sense, just riding around the parking lot, was that the motor was very quiet. Is that your assessment?
Yes it is quiet and but it still makes noise
Motor noise has never been an issue for me coming Bosch. But compare it to a bafang and yes it is quiet.
You hear it more under load climbing for sure.

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
@bglidin could you please take a measurement of the Giant contact trail stem height? I mean the height of the clamp on the fork steering tube, just the stem itself, excluding the spacers. Thanks!

Ridemore

Apr 25, 2023
Idaho
Correction to one of my posts earlier (must have been light headed after a ride). There are 32 (not 34) spokes f+r rims on an EL2.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles