2023 Giant Reign E+ flashing L2 led

parkp81

Jun 29, 2023
Orange County
Not sure what is going on, but this morning I had the L2 led, second LED from the bottom on ride control flash red. This happened on a climb and after a long descent. Temperature outside was around 80F. I would power off the bike and power it back and continue. This occurred 3 times. Anyone else experience this issue? Hoping its not a sign of a bigger problem. I have approximately 500 miles and have not had any flashing red LED until today.

From what I read in other threads the L5 led flashing red indicates an overheating issue, which I initially thought was the issue while riding.

System check through the ride control app returns with all green check marks, no issues.

Last edited:

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
L2 LED is Syncdrive Pro error (motor).

Friend's 2023 Reign E+ is doing this all the time, he must power off & on to solve issue. It's not consistent so he took pictures and he will tell his Giant Store that the bike is sometimes not rideable as he's losing all power because of that error hoping that they will do something.

My 2022 never flashed an error light in 2500km.

parkp81

Jun 29, 2023
Orange County
L2 LED is Syncdrive Pro error (motor).

Friend's 2023 Reign E+ is doing this all the time, he must power off & on to solve issue. It's not consistent so he took pictures and he will tell his Giant Store that the bike is sometimes not rideable as he's losing all power because of that error hoping that they will do something.

My 2022 never flashed an error light in 2500km.

That is exactly what I experienced on that one day I went out riding. I will see how it goes when I go for another ride.

Unfortunately I do not have warranty coverage on mine. If your friend does get an answer from the store, would you be able to kindly reply back to this thread as to what the issue/cause? Thanks

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
That is exactly what I experienced on that one day I went out riding. I will see how it goes when I go for another ride.

Unfortunately I do not have warranty coverage on mine. If your friend does get an answer from the store, would you be able to kindly reply back to this thread as to what the issue/cause? Thanks

He's waiting on the season to end which should be in a month or so before he bring it to the store.

I'll try to remember to update thead when he'll get an answer.

parkp81

Jun 29, 2023
Orange County
I had no flashing red during yesterdays ride, but come today I had it happen 4 times all within 5-10 minutes of each other. :confused: I continued the majority of my ride without it occurring again.

IMG_2447.jpeg

LielyF

Apr 13, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
I also had this issue on my 2023 Trance E+ Elite today. It did it 3-4 times early in the ride in a space of about 10 minutes then was fine after that. I have just done a software update so hopefully that fixes it but who knows.

parkp81

Jun 29, 2023
Orange County
I also had this issue on my 2023 Trance E+ Elite today. It did it 3-4 times early in the ride in a space of about 10 minutes then was fine after that. I have just done a software update so hopefully that fixes it but who knows.
Have you tried applying dielectric grease to the pins? So far I have not had any further re-occurences. There has been an update since I had the issue, which could have possibly resolved the problem.

sehah

Nov 14, 2022
Socal
2023 Reign E, happened 2 weeks ago in middle of a ride firs the first time. Spent 15 minutes turning on and off. went away and hasn't come back.

dimitrin

May 7, 2023
Central Texas
My '23 reign e+ did it 3 times today in about a 15-20 min period, then rode another 2.5 hrs without issue. Mine did something though that may be different.
The first time it shut the support off, the L2 was flashing red along with all of right side leds flashing white until the bike was powered off.
The second time it shut the support off, the L1 flashed red along with all of the right leds flashing white until powered off.
The third time it shut the support off only the right side leds flashed white until powered off.
Then I rode some real aggressive gnarly trail for the next 2.5 hrs, which was amazing, but I was concerned it was gonna shut down completely.

Last edited:

KiwieMTB

Nov 2, 2023
NZ
Mine just did this. I have less than 300 km on it.

It’s done it twice so far, both times I wasn’t doing anything crazy, just riding TO the trails on paved bike path. Just fully shut down and the second LED started flashing red. I took a video and then restarted it, works fine.

I’m going to book it in at the LBS for a service. It’s not even 6 months old.

Sorry forgot to update this thread. Got it back about two weeks after my post here. They changed out some parts. I’ve been on a few rides since then - no problems.

Here’s what was on the work order:

Giant E-Bike SG Harness Trance X E Reign E+ My22

QTY: 1

Giant E-Bike Terminal / Harness Batt To Motor Reign E Mx

QTY: 1

My bike is model year 2023.

Last edited:

dimitrin

May 7, 2023
Central Texas
So my bike has continued to cut out on various occasions. 3 days ago it cut out six times and then allowed me to finish a 2-hour ride.
I texted the owner of the bike shop what had been happening and he conveyed this from the input from Giant...
"They say we should check speed sensor and magnet didn't get bumped out of place, then check battery mount doesn't have excess play, visually check external wires for damage, plug it into our giant e bike dongle to get a report if necessary. At that point if it's not working we supply the report to them in a warranty claim. One other thing he said was if you saw any white lights that were lit up next to the red ones that would also indicate what the bike "thinks" is wrong. "
I know that I told him L2 flashed red while all right LEDs flashed white but he must not have conveyed that to Giant since they didn't indicate what the bike was trying to communicate with the led flashing sequence.
I will continue to update as this get sorted out.

parkp81

Jun 29, 2023
Orange County
I recently got some CRC Electronics cleaner spray and used it to clean the battery contact points and so far so good with 2 rides in.

seatoskymtb

Mar 15, 2024
Squamish
On my last ride I experienced the flashing lights on the right side and red L2 while pedaling along a fire road on full power. It occured 3 times within 15 mins remedied each time by turning off and on.

Interested to keep up with solutions. So far looks like checking integrity of battery connection is a start

dimitrin

May 7, 2023
Central Texas
Less than 30 mins into a ride this past Tuesday my bike cut out and would NOT reset after powering off. I attempted to power it off and on at least 15 times, 3-4 times it would clear until I put any pressure on the pedals and then go into r2 fault.
The other times as soon as it powered on it went into the r2 fault. I pushed, pedaled and hiked my 60lb behemoth back to the car. It actually reset on power up at the car so I pedaled around the block and it once again went into the r2 fault about half way. I connected my phone app and ran the diagnostics which indicated that the motor failed the test. I loaded it onto the rack, called the bike shop and drove home.
The next day I took it to the shop and they hooked it up to their dongle to read it off the computer but the technician didn't know what he was doing and it ended up being a fruitless endeavor. He did contact Giant and they gave him some better instructions on how to use the software. So the following day, Thursday, I brought it back to the bike shop but this time I peddled it furiously for about 20 minutes until it went into fault mode, and then it again went into continuous r2 fault mode so I was able to laboriously pedal it back to the shop while still in r2 fault mode and they were able to hook up their dongle, read off the computer and generate a report.
The report indicated that it had gone into the fault 31 times, and that it was experiencing motor failure, which corresponded with what my app had told me 2 days prior.
Friday I was informed that a R/A had been generated, and a replacement motor had already shipped and should be at the shop this coming Monday or Tuesday and installed by Thursday.
Another thing I would like to add is that it seems that my motor makes an additional noise after it is warmed up just prior to going into the R2 fault. It makes the normal electric motor noise but at times, as the motor is disengaging when I stop pedaling, there's an additional chafing sound that comes out of the motor. Not a grinding noise, but maybe like the noise it would make before it started grinding. Chafing is about the best word I can come up with to describe it.
479 miles on the bike.

20240310_144235.jpg Screenshot_20240310_155517_RideControl.jpg

Last edited:

KiwieMTB

Nov 2, 2023
NZ
@dimitrin interesting. My motor makes a similar sound but since I’ve gotten it back from having those harnesses replaced I had no issues with it. I thought it was normal as this is the first full power eMTB I’ve had.

Do let us know if the noise goes away after replacing the motor!

dimitrin

May 7, 2023
Central Texas
Ok, I picked up my bike Thursday with a new motor installed. 1 week turn around from day of diagnosis is commendable imo. I've only rode it about 1/2 mile on pavement but I immediately noticed how much quieter it was vs the original motor. It is much quieter, with no additional chafing noises or lurching when I stop pedaling.
I have a pretty aggressive ride planned on it for tomorrow with the tech that installed it, so hopefully I will have a favorable experience to report back.
I will also try to compare battery usage, as I know what it normally consumed on the route we plan on taking.

KiwieMTB

Nov 2, 2023
NZ
Thanks for posting the update. I gotta say this kind of has me worried -- my motor makes a similar noise but these things make all sorts of strange noises and I have no basis for what is considered "normal" for a motor. I will try to make a recording of the noise.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Update on my friend's 2023 Reign E+2 that was finally brought in to the Giant store to fix this issue (L2 flashing, no power, must power off and on for a temporary fix)

Giant inspected the motor in their HQ in BC and they told the motor had an internal communication error issue that can't be fixed.

They're replacing the motor for a new one, bike had 300km.

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
I'm having the L2 red light issue , brought it to the dealer, the replaced all the cables connections checked battery.. bike rode well for 2 hours and then red light again even on flat or uphll fire roads, so I'll have to return it i guess this time it will be a motor. but it is getting annoying this unreliability.. The mecanic thinks its over heating. luckily this is just 2 months before the end of the 2 year warranty.

Have more recent engines been more reliable? or had upgrades?
do we know if this is a Giant problem or other Yamaha engines have the same?

parkp81

Jun 29, 2023
Orange County
My bike is still going strong without further L2 red lights after cleaning the battery contact points, as mentioned above. I've pushed the bike on turbo and all other modes.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
I'm having the L2 red light issue , brought it to the dealer, the replaced all the cables connections checked battery.. bike rode well for 2 hours and then red light again even on flat or uphll fire roads, so I'll have to return it i guess this time it will be a motor. but it is getting annoying this unreliability.. The mecanic thinks its over heating. luckily this is just 2 months before the end of the 2 year warranty.

Have more recent engines been more reliable? or had upgrades?
do we know if this is a Giant problem or other Yamaha engines have the same?
No problem with Yamaha Branded bikes. It's when second parties take a great motor and think they know better than Yamaha and screw it over and the consumer.

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
My bike is still going strong without further L2 red lights after cleaning the battery contact points, as mentioned above. I've pushed the bike on turbo and all other modes.
quick question I read higher up that you put dielectric grease on your battery pins??? unless i am mistaken that is not a conductor so it should block the current from going through.. Or did i miss understand?
Any way i tried around the battery around the control still the same result. And this time there was no turning on and of i ended up finishing my ride had 5k uphill fully muscular... one hell of a work out. hopefully giant pulls their Fin**** out and actually change the motor rather than making the bike shop always change the same cables. bike has been pretty much usless since febuary

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles