Everything about the 2022/2023 Giant Reign E+

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Hi,
Compiling my notes on the bike here to help others decide if this is the right bike for them and help others with setup. Please add additional details/corrections/links as responses and I will update this first post.

Rob's video:

Weight:

2022 E+2 = 25.9kg out of the box (tubes no pedals), tubeless will get this down to 25.5kg.

Estimated weights based on other users and websites:
E+3 = 26.5
E+1 = 25.5
E+0 = 25

Best places to lose weight on the bike:
Stock wheels are 2.3kg, while mid-range aluminium ones are typically 2kg or less
On the lower spec models (+3,+2), swapping to 11s GX (or better) can save over 300g

Some members of the forum have experimented with custom battery locks and case, dropping considerable weight at the risk of voiding warranty.

Battery weights:
  • 625Wh: 3.95kg
  • 750Wh: 4.3kg
  • 800Wh: 4.4kg

Geometry:

The bike is much lower and slacker than advertised, and than it's competitors. There seems to be some variation in BB height even across the same model, but some users have found their BB around 33cm even in High position.
  • Low flip chip: 32.5mm BB height, 63 head angle
  • High flip chip: 33.4mm BB height, 63.8 head angle
For those hitting their cranks/motor off the ground constantly:
Highly recommend running the bike in High mode with 2.6 tyres. Ensure you have (much) less than 30% sag and consider switching to 150 or 155mm cranks. You could also overfork the bike with a 180/190mm fork.

Cranks:
Miranda delta or Hope with M15 crankbolt
Example:

The bike can not be run in full 29er mode with decent tyres:
  • 27.5x2.8 fits fine in rear
  • 29x2.3 does not fit in rear

Range:

My range for a 75kg rider in coldish conditions with highest possible assistance:
  • 625Wh: 30-35km, 900-1000m climbing, 1h40 to 2hrs
  • 750Wh: 35-40km, 1400-1500m climbing, ~2hrs
  • 800Wh: TBD.
Note I ran my range tests in mode 5, you can easily get 20-30% more range in the 3-4 modes which still give a lot of support.

Other points:
  • Headset is an odd standard, effectively the lower cup is for 1.8" forks, but some models use a reducer bearing to fit standard 1.5" forks. Quoted as a ZS66 for a 1,5" fork at the bottom, and ZS49 or ZS44 at the top. Better to get your local giant shop to work on it in my opinion and not much choice in aftermarket products.
  • The frame uses SRAM UDH standard for derailleurs, and as such is compatible with SRAM's highest end "transmission" drivetrain.
  • On an M frame, water bottle will most likely be limited to 500ml
  • Recent app update allows for torque, launch and assist level configuration in every mode.

Bearings: (thanks pwiles1968)
screenshot-2023-06-13-at-19-52-17-png.117699

APP and software updates:
  • The Giant app allows to see detailed battery percentages, perform software updates and tune the motor at each level along 3 variables (Torque, Launch, percentage assist).
  • Some users report issues after some updates, such as issues charging batteries in the bike. It is possible to access the app without performing the mandatory update as follows, thanks @DOCTOR EBIKES : "enter the application by putting the phone in airplane mode, once this is done, the application asks you to connect the bluetooth and you have to do it like this but always in airplane mode, by doing so you can enter your ebike without the Mandatory need to update your ebike"

Issues:
  • The main reported issue is frame cracks on the 2022 models on the top of the down tube.
  • Some members reported issues with charging batteries to 100%, either a very slow process (which appears to go away after 10 charges when new) or the charging getting interrupted (most likely a charger issue). My shop implied that they have had a handful of faulty 4a chargers.
  • Previous versions of the reign have had issues with water affecting various electronics, up until now the 2022+ bikes seem to be doing ok with water ingress.

Last edited:

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
Looks very good info, thanks Rob.

I am uncertain what they actually are, but it may also be useful to capture where the hubs come from for spares/freehubs etc? I have a 2022 Reign E +1, and I think the rear hub is a rebranded DTswiss - but unsure which one, I think it is pawl, and would love to know for sure so I can get spare bits (bearings, free hub etc).

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
We had a lengthy discussion about bottom bracket height back in January 2022:
BB height varies between models, brand new E+2 was 342 in high mode. Head angle seems a little less slack on E+2 also.
Cheers!

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Cheers guys, updated the first post. Let me know if there are other questions you had trouble finding answers to before buying, or setup tips and tricks.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Cheers guys, updated the first post. Let me know if there are other questions you had trouble finding answers to before buying, or setup tips and tricks.

Great information!

One thing to note about these bikes like Rob mentionned in his video is that Reign E+ equiped with Fox suspension uses a 1.5'' tapered steerer while RockShox models (eMTB ZEB or Domain) uses a 1.8'' steerer so swapping fork is not plug and play.

I'm still unsure today what adapter we need to buy and if available in North America.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Linking in @LJR69's thread about installing the hanger less SRAM Transmission.

LJR69

Jan 4, 2022
UK
Looks very good info, thanks Rob.

I am uncertain what they actually are, but it may also be useful to capture where the hubs come from for spares/freehubs etc? I have a 2022 Reign E +1, and I think the rear hub is a rebranded DTswiss - but unsure which one, I think it is pawl, and would love to know for sure so I can get spare bits (bearings, free hub etc).
It’s a modified DT Swiss 370 (3-pawl). The mod is the casing is steel instead of alu, for increased durability.

markoricho

Apr 9, 2022
York
Great information!

One thing to note about these bikes like Rob mentionned in his video is that Reign E+ equiped with Fox suspension uses a 1.5'' tapered steerer while RockShox models (eMTB ZEB or Domain) uses a 1.8'' steerer so swapping fork is not plug and play.

I'm still unsure today what adapter we need to buy and if available in North America.
My e+1 has a 1.8" Fox 38 elite on it.

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
Great advice here.
Regarding pedal strikes, I would really not advise over forking the bike with a 180 190 fork, the bike being already really slack, it will just make it slacker, and too slack makes a bike un rideable unless you weight the front end and only ride super steep chutes....

shorter cranks is the good way to go. Fast and cheap.

Or replace the shock. A lot of the issues come with a weak mid stroke on the float x2, either some tuning or swap out for a coil.. riding with 2.4 Maxxis and stock (160mm) cranks issues are gone, while running the right amount of sag. And hugely improving traction/ grip up and downhill.
And with the X2 legendary reliability of air leaking in to the oil chamber... it may be cheaper in the long run to swap factoring in multiple maintenance or time off the bike...

Other point, swap out the Oem tires, they do not do this bike justice.
Depending where you live a 220 rotor upfront would be a wise upgrade .

LJR69

Jan 4, 2022
UK
My X2 has just gone back to Giant for replacement. 15 months in and when it was being serviced by TF Tuned they told me the air can was scored on the inside. Pretty poor for that to happen already. They spoke to Fox and are replacing it.

As it happens I upgraded to a coil anyway, but I still want a working X2 (even if just to sell it)

KRC96

Jun 12, 2023
Colorado
Great advice here.
Regarding pedal strikes, I would really not advise over forking the bike with a 180 190 fork, the bike being already really slack, it will just make it slacker, and too slack makes a bike un rideable unless you weight the front end and only ride super steep chutes....

shorter cranks is the good way to go. Fast and cheap.

Or replace the shock. A lot of the issues come with a weak mid stroke on the float x2, either some tuning or swap out for a coil.. riding with 2.4 Maxxis and stock (160mm) cranks issues are gone, while running the right amount of sag. And hugely improving traction/ grip up and downhill.
And with the X2 legendary reliability of air leaking in to the oil chamber... it may be cheaper in the long run to swap factoring in multiple maintenance or time off the bike...

Other point, swap out the Oem tires, they do not do this bike justice.
Depending where you live a 220 rotor upfront would be a wise upgrade .
Did you put a 205mm 65mm coil shock on?? Those are much easier to find, and I think the additional length would help with strikes. I'm shopping on Pinkbike for a used shock. Probably the RS Super Deluxe ultimate. Thanks in advance.

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
I. Been upgrading my E Reign +2 this season. Went with Diety 38 ride aluminum bars cut to 770 (I’m 5’11”) Put a 50mm stem up from a 35 I am beteeen a med/lg and went with med. much better feel. Took stack down 5mm for better cornering.
Went with MRP Hazzard with 400lb progressive spring (185lbs riding wgt) great feel but you have to pull the shock to adj tbe rebound. Front fork has new super deluxe inards. 800W battery. Chester flat pedals for now I’m going thru Ryan Leech’s online coaching program and using flats which I gotta admit I like a lot. I have Shimano Saint clip pedals but not too keen on going back for now. Next up is Hope or Miranda 155 cranks I went with 2.6 tires front and back and just that has cut down on pedal strikes. I run it in high position. Next up is wheels and it’s either Noble or I 9 with Hyde hubs proxy but a one time buy. Then I’m done.

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
Did you put a 205mm 65mm coil shock on?? Those are much easier to find, and I think the additional length would help with strikes. I'm shopping on Pinkbike for a used shock. Probably the RS Super Deluxe ultimate. Thanks in advance.
I kept a 205X62.5, i agree the oem size isnt easy to find. let us know how it feels with the extra length.

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
I. Been upgrading my E Reign +2 this season. Went with Diety 38 ride aluminum bars cut to 770 (I’m 5’11”) Put a 50mm stem up from a 35 I am beteeen a med/lg and went with med. much better feel. Took stack down 5mm for better cornering.
Went with MRP Hazzard with 400lb progressive spring (185lbs riding wgt) great feel but you have to pull the shock to adj tbe rebound. Front fork has new super deluxe inards. 800W battery. Chester flat pedals for now I’m going thru Ryan Leech’s online coaching program and using flats which I gotta admit I like a lot. I have Shimano Saint clip pedals but not too keen on going back for now. Next up is Hope or Miranda 155 cranks I went with 2.6 tires front and back and just that has cut down on pedal strikes. I run it in high position. Next up is wheels and it’s either Noble or I 9 with Hyde hubs proxy but a one time buy. Then I’m done.
I had some wheels built tried a friends 100 and a bit pick up points , and decided to go for the DT's 24 pick up points in the E bike special hub. suspension works smoother, but if pedalling climbing tech inclines more pick up points better.

Last edited:

KiwieMTB

Nov 2, 2023
NZ
Hey Guys.

I just picked up one of these and I'm enjoying it so far. I didon a ~35 km XC trail last weekend and still had 70% batt left at the end of it with full assist levesl, so extremely happy with the range and plushness of the suspension.

I was hoping that the reports of pedal strikes were greatly exaggerated but it looks like this is not the case. The guy at the shop set it up for my weight, but after I got home I took it up and down my driveway and scraped the hell out of the pedals just turning into my driveway from the street, let alone on any XC trails. I had to "lock out" the rear shock, and after that I was fine (no more pedal strikes).

Bearing in mind that this is my first FS bike, I expected some issues with getting it dialed but even after Ive pumped the rear shock up to ~160 PSI for about 25% sag (~78kg/171 lb rider weight) I find the pedal gets dangerously close to the ground when going around turns. I highly doubt I'll be able to muscle this thing up technical climbs in its current state.

This is all exacerbated by the fact that I"m on frame size "S". I think to get the clearance to feel confident I'll not only have to raise the flipchip to the high position, but I'll also need to buy shorter cranks.

I've never shopped cranks before, so what's involved with removing and fitting the cranks on this specific model of bike? The LBS that I got it from has been less than helpful, unable to get any cranks that are shorter. I think I'll want 150mm cranks.

If someone could drop some recommendations for cranks from places that ship overseas that would be fantastic, selection/range/pricing is below pretty average here in NZ.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Definitely run it in "high" as a first change. That's how I've been riding without pedal strikes, I have 160mm cranks. 👍

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Hey Guys.

I just picked up one of these and I'm enjoying it so far. I didon a ~35 km XC trail last weekend and still had 70% batt left at the end of it with full assist levesl, so extremely happy with the range and plushness of the suspension.

I was hoping that the reports of pedal strikes were greatly exaggerated but it looks like this is not the case. The guy at the shop set it up for my weight, but after I got home I took it up and down my driveway and scraped the hell out of the pedals just turning into my driveway from the street, let alone on any XC trails. I had to "lock out" the rear shock, and after that I was fine (no more pedal strikes).

Bearing in mind that this is my first FS bike, I expected some issues with getting it dialed but even after Ive pumped the rear shock up to ~160 PSI for about 25% sag (~78kg/171 lb rider weight) I find the pedal gets dangerously close to the ground when going around turns. I highly doubt I'll be able to muscle this thing up technical climbs in its current state.

This is all exacerbated by the fact that I"m on frame size "S". I think to get the clearance to feel confident I'll not only have to raise the flipchip to the high position, but I'll also need to buy shorter cranks.

I've never shopped cranks before, so what's involved with removing and fitting the cranks on this specific model of bike? The LBS that I got it from has been less than helpful, unable to get any cranks that are shorter. I think I'll want 150mm cranks.

If someone could drop some recommendations for cranks from places that ship overseas that would be fantastic, selection/range/pricing is below pretty average here in NZ.
I have a size small too and it's a nightmare for pedal strikes. I'm saving up for some pinned cranks in 145mm E-Bike Cranks

KiwieMTB

Nov 2, 2023
NZ
^ Cheers, that is a surprisingly reasonable price. The Bosch setup is the same cranks as ours I take it?

I think 160mm crank is a bit long for me anyways. I found that I had to raise the hell out of the dropper post (took almost all the slack out of the remote to get a comfortable bend in my knee as well.

Size "small" but apparently geo doesn't seem to take into account that my leg size is that of a midget!

KiwieMTB

Nov 2, 2023
NZ
Is it OK to clamp the mtb by the rear shock (pic attached)

It’s the only place I can safely clamp it on my carrier.

IMG_7568.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles