2022 Heckler Recall: "Battery could fall out".

Jason Rathgeber

Apr 27, 2022
Victoria B.C. Canada
I think it was from the top but honestly I am not sure. It happened on landing a jump and I just felt something heavy hit my leg. I have my strap high near the upper latch and haven't had an issue since. Probably 10 rides later or so
Hey, does your latch appear to be solid and secure? Mine does and the battery hasn’t budged.

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
Hey, does your latch appear to be solid and secure? Mine does and the battery hasn’t budged.
It would click in just fine, making an audible click sound. But the metal catch wasn't actually catching. I adjusted the bracket at the bottom to snug it up a bit and now the catch works as it should. I never felt like it wasn't in there securely though even before I made that small adjustment. I plan to ride with the strap until I get the fix installed at the dealer.

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
It would click in just fine, making an audible click sound. But the metal catch wasn't actually catching. I adjusted the bracket at the bottom to snug it up a bit and now the catch works as it should. I never felt like it wasn't in there securely though even before I made that small adjustment. I plan to ride with the strap until I get the fix installed at the dealer.
When I refer to the "catch" I am referring to when you use the 4mm and it initially pops away from the frame, there is a secondary catch that prevents it from just falling out. That is what wasn't spaced properly and it would miss the battery until I moved the lower bracket up just a bit. Hopefully that makes sense.

Ackbar69

Apr 17, 2022
Canada
When I refer to the "catch" I am referring to when you use the 4mm and it initially pops away from the frame, there is a secondary catch that prevents it from just falling out. That is what wasn't spaced properly and it would miss the battery until I moved the lower bracket up just a bit. Hopefully that makes sense.

Any chance you can take a photo? Mine doesn't seem to catch on anything when I use the 4mm allen, it just pops away, and I can't see anything where it would "catch" to hold it from falling out...
Thanks for your time.

Jason Rathgeber

Apr 27, 2022
Victoria B.C. Canada
What he means is when you release the main latch, the battery drops down about an inch without falling to the floor. Then you can grab and remove the battery. If your just falls all the way out it may not be adjusted properly. The “catch” he refers to is the metal spring like piece on the battery itself…

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Do you think it's ok to still ride our bikes until the fix is done? Maybe put a velcro strap around the downtube and the battery to keep it secure?
Several on this thread have been doing just that, including me. Of course, for liability reasons Santa Cruz says not to ride them.

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
My LBS called today. They have the repair parts from Santa Cruz in hand for their recalled bikes.
Awesome! My LBS is still waiting on them to arrive as far as I know. They were contacted on the day we all received the notice. Hopefully it will be soon. Let us know how it goes!

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Have a Heckler MX and a 29er. Took the bikes in for the recall today and took all of 30 minutes for both. They said the 29 looked good but the MX battery was ready to fall out.

Ushtang

Sep 14, 2020
USA
Got mine done recently as well. Got 1 ride in so far without having to use a strap. Good so far I guess. Also received an email from Santa Cruz acknowledging they have my bike on record as having the recall done and offered me a nice $30 credit on their web store. Anyone that gets the recall done, be sure to check your email afterward.

Last edited:

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
I followed up with my dealer the morning the recall fix was issued by SC. I thought they would have received the parts by now, but they said the B2B site indicates in it coming in 1-2 weeks. Strange. I'm in San Diego, so it is not like I am in a remote location. Oh well. Used to the strap by now anyways. lol.

Ushtang

Sep 14, 2020
USA
Yeah, pretty strange. I'm on the East Coast. Would have thought SD or any other place in Cali would get it early than any other state if anything.

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
Yeah, pretty strange. I'm on the East Coast. Would have thought SD or any other place in Cali would get it early than any other state if anything.
Yeah, Santa Cruz's rep was on it, so it doesn't seem like SC's fault. They reached out about 30 mins after I filled out the warranty claim, identified my shop, and said they would get the parts out there asap. That was all on May 5th. But whateves, it's not that big of a deal as long as it gets there. Now if I couldn't ride the bike until it had the fix installed, then I would probably feel very different entirely.

Heckler Sb130

Aug 15, 2022
Gothed75
I think I was one of the firsts to actually have the battery fall out lol. Mine fell out on the highway about a month ago, contacted SC, after some exchanges of emails, they admitted that there was a latch issue, my impression was they were going to send me out a new battery right away as they created an invoice, but they failed to tell me it might be some time before this whole thing is resolved. Sucks, I got 1 ride on it.....

Did you ever receive a second battery? If so and the original is functioning properly would you be interested in selling it? Im looking for a second battery to have for epic long and overnight rides

AndrewLeeisRead

Apr 25, 2022
USA
Did you ever receive a second battery? If so and the original is functioning properly would you be interested in selling it? Im looking for a second battery to have for epic long and overnight rides

Mine fell out on the highway and most likely blew up into a million pieces, I never found it. Santa Cruz did warranty the new battery, didn't have to pay a cent, just took forever to get here.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles