2021 Whyte

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Would it not work as a single unbroken length of housing?
In theory, spiral-wound housing should be avoided for modern indexed gears, especially if there is movement of the cables (from suspension, steering etc.), although in practice a short run like this might be fine. I assume your shifting is still OK @Nakedebiker ? Any ghost-shifts when the rear suspension moves?

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
In theory, spiral-wound housing should be avoided for modern indexed gears, especially if there is movement of the cables (from suspension, steering etc.), although in practice a short run like this might be fine. I assume your shifting is still OK @Nakedebiker ? Any ghost-shifts when the rear suspension moves?
Not so far and as you say, the short run shouldn't have that much influence on it. It would be nice to hide that ferrule that joins the cables inside the chain stay but that would mean drilling the hole bigger which I would avoid as it's at an angle. A full run of that spiral housing would probably have too much drag and lead to poor downshifts as it doesn't have a plastic liner inside.

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
That's great, just clear pics of how it's routed and where it exits the frame will be fine.

D90CD65B-23F6-4D6F-B1EF-7A9751854A3F.jpeg

A147389D-F7AE-46A7-867F-731CFE73E08D.jpeg

CF69D38B-FA71-4600-9140-496CF4341C92.jpeg

9E3AA459-5908-4FCE-9DD7-D25ECC1E075A.jpeg

Them pictures ok?

Last edited:

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
A full run of that spiral housing would probably have too much drag and lead to poor downshifts as it doesn't have a plastic liner inside.

I remember back in the day when full sus was new, traditional spiral-wound outer for gears was a problem. It changes length slightly when you bend it (think of a slinky spring) which on the rear of a full suss could be enough for it to ghost-shift. One way to check was to depressurise the rear shock and cycle the rear suspension. Does the rear mech move?

Them pictures ok?

Looks like they've routed over the top of the motor now.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Thanks for all the pics of this re routing etc. When I get my bike serviced I am going to ask if the bike shop can do something on my 2020 model.. (y)

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
Just spotted this on my bike too which I’m not too pleased about considering I spent nearly £6k on it. View attachment 37482

What are your thoughts on this guys? I’ve emailed pictures to my dealer, no doubt they knew about it. I’m a bit annoyed by it if I’m honest. Whether its going to get scratched, chipped or whatever when I ride it, I’ll be the one to do that. A bike of this value shouldn’t have marks like that from new.

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
Are we looking at the blue inner surface of the motor recess, with the rough looking knurl marks?
It does look a bit rough. Is the blue finish a protective plastic that they haven't peeled off?

That area on my E-150 is frame finished and completely smooth.

It is protected in there, so it shouldn't deteriorate further, admittedly only cosmetic but it does look pretty poor for £6k

Yeah the marks look the same as the prints left been left by the jaws of a vice.

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
Are we looking at the blue inner surface of the motor recess, with the rough looking knurl marks?
It does look a bit rough. Is the blue finish a protective plastic that they haven't peeled off?

That area on my E-150 is frame finished and completely smooth.

It is protected in there, so it shouldn't deteriorate further, admittedly only cosmetic but it does look pretty poor for £6k
I agree with Kilham5, it looks like a protective layer to protect the anodising while they fit the motor. Have you tried to peel it off?

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
I agree with Kilham5, it looks like a protective layer to protect the anodising while they fit the motor. Have you tried to peel it off?

It’s definitely not a protective film, the camera makes it look more blue than it is. It looks more of a base coat colour to me. Its definitely not the same colour as the finished product on the frame though. Its the same as what they do when they paint cars these days. Most cars these days don’t have the same laquered finish on the underside of the bonet, its usually just a thin layer of base coat.
E60F88BC-C817-4718-8E87-EE04A096241E.jpeg

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
Just had a phone call, got to take mine back they’ve got a large in stock to replace it with. Happy days.
That's a result. Back when I had my 146s carbon, the seat post clamping sleeve came loose in the frame so I took it back to the shop expecting an argument over it being abused etc. Anyway, he says, 'blimey, that's the second one this week!' It went back to whyte and returned having been fixed with an axe by the look of it! Ended up sorting it myself with a file and some black enamel.

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
That's a result. Back when I had my 146s carbon, the seat post clamping sleeve came loose in the frame so I took it back to the shop expecting an argument over it being abused etc. Anyway, he says, 'blimey, that's the second one this week!' It went back to whyte and returned having been fixed with an axe by the look of it! Ended up sorting it myself with a file and some black enamel.

Yes I’m happy with that. When they offered a refund of £72 and a tin of touch up paint I was a bit speechless.
Oh no way? Thats poor, especially from a company that supposedly take huge pride in their attention to detail.

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
Yes I’m happy with that. When they offered a refund of £72 and a tin of touch up paint I was a bit speechless.
Oh no way? Thats poor, especially from a company that supposedly take huge pride in their attention to detail.
I've just seen a Whyte medium frame at Leisure Lakes in Daventry with the exact same issue, not sure if this is your old frame or it's a common problem. The bike I saw was being built up for a customer :eek:

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
I've just seen a Whyte medium frame at Leisure Lakes in Daventry with the exact same issue, not sure if this is your old frame or it's a common problem. The bike I saw was being built up for a customer :eek:

That isn’t mine but thats worrying if its on a number of bikes. They need to sort that out asap.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
It’s definitely not a protective film, the camera makes it look more blue than it is. It looks more of a base coat colour to me. Its definitely not the same colour as the finished product on the frame though. Its the same as what they do when they paint cars these days. Most cars these days don’t have the same laquered finish on the underside of the bonet, its usually just a thin layer of base coat.
View attachment 37510
Get it replaced or get a good discount.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles