2021 Whyte

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
I think I may have messed up here. I’ve put a deposit on the large but I’ve just compared it to my current bike which is a large and the reach is very long on the whyte. I think a large may be too big. My dealer has a medium there I can try but he sold that just before I rang back. I’ll have to try them both tomorrow and go from there.

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
I think I may have messed up here. I’ve put a deposit on the large but I’ve just compared it to my current bike which is a large and the reach is very long on the whyte. I think a large may be too big. My dealer has a medium there I can try but he sold that just before I rang back. I’ll have to try them both tomorrow and go from there.
Can't see the reach being an issue they are not stupidly long I'm 5 10 and really went for the medium due to seat tube length I did have a go on the large too and it did not feel huge

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
Can't see the reach being an issue they are not stupidly long I'm 5 10 and really went for the medium due to seat tube length I did have a go on the large too and it did not feel huge

Hopefully not. I’m 5ft 11 1/2 to be exact. The reach on the medium is the same as the reach on my bike now which is a large. Seat tube length is same on the large whyte as my current bike.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hopefully not. I’m 5ft 11 1/2 to be exact. The reach on the medium is the same as the reach on my bike now which is a large. Seat tube length is same on the large whyte as my current bike.
Effective seat tube length will vary with seat tube angle.

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent
Test rode the E160 RS today really like it but it was not really tested anywhere near it's capabilities as I had 45 min at my local trail centre.

It felt well balanced but also be playful I had no problem hoping it around and it was very easy to lift the front end. The front end felt planted and gave good feed back and confidence.

The biggest improvement from the E150 I rode last year was the new software update it's transformed the motor it very natural feeling and produces power from very low cadences and hill starts are much easier I found it even produced good power from half cranks ratcheting over obstacles of course you can get this for your E 150.

I really like it but can't get my size until December and they would not budge on price so I have managed to get an E150 RS brand new for £4720 so I'm going with that might even take the lyrics off it sell them as new and buy some ZEB rc for it

Where is your trail center?

Have been considering the E150 and rented a couple of times from the shop at Bedgbury Forest. Not there is it?

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
Where is your trail center?

Have been considering the E150 and rented a couple of times from the shop at Bedgbury Forest. Not there is it?
Yes bedgbury quench cycles have a large and medium E160 RS demo bikes you can book a free 30 min demo or £60 for 2 hours which you get back if you buy, they also have E 150 in the rental fleet

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent
Thanks Max.

I've just booked the E160 for a couple of hours tmr morning.

Gonna have to get up early now!!! ?

citydreams

Jul 20, 2020
Brixton
I love that dedication to the cause, riding around a pseudo ebike with the battery stuffed with bike chains to simulate the weight is legendary.

Screenshot_20200728_203401_com.android.chrome.jpg

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
This is interesting in that MBR review...

'Whyte is also going to release an aftermarket shock extender that offers two additional geometry settings, which will allow riders to tune the geo and BB height to match their preferred riding style and terrain. Best of all, the new Shape.It link will also fit the older E-150.'

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The most interesting part of that interview for me was the fact that the guy considered the dynamics of an EMTB did not require heavy suspension tuning...by which he means making the suspension firmer. I think this is one of the worst mistakes made by many of the brands which results in anyone under a bout 95kg complaining that the suspension is too hard and then spending a fortune ( me included) upgrading to resolve the issue. I completely agree with his 2 observations....1. you do not need a super efficient pedalling platform on an emtb ( heck half the time I am pedalling with the saddle mostly slammed!) 2. The extra weight of an EMTB does not mean the suspension has to be stiffer, the weight of the motor/battery provide the stability.

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
This is interesting in that MBR review...

'Whyte is also going to release an aftermarket shock extender that offers two additional geometry settings, which will allow riders to tune the geo and BB height to match their preferred riding style and terrain. Best of all, the new Shape.It link will also fit the older E-150.'
I've sent Whyte a message on twitter asking for more info about the shock extender. Hopefully they might reply!

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent
Yes bedgbury quench cycles have a large and medium E160 RS demo bikes you can book a free 30 min demo or £60 for 2 hours which you get back if you buy, they also have E 150 in the rental fleet

Hey Max.

Where did you end up getting your E150 from?

Took the E160 put for a couple of laps of Bedgbury this morning. Loved it. What a bike.

Not sure those trails or my riding warrants them Fox 38s though. Felt like you could chuck them down anything. Worked fine on standard settings and a bit of a guess on the preload and super stiff as expected. I’d probably only use them to anywhere near their potential in the Alps for a couple of weeks a year if I’m lucky.

That said, they do look f#####g cool though!!

On another note... Saw somewhere yesterday, there are 29er E150s coming.

Last edited:

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
Bit later than expected but its home! Managed a go on it one handed (one arms in a sling due to broken shoulder blade). All I can say is wow ? steep hill on the end of my street, absolutely flew up there. Can’t wait to get out on it properly. View attachment 37297
View attachment 37298
View attachment 37299
Looksrc
Bit later than expected but its home! Managed a go on it one handed (one arms in a sling due to broken shoulder blade). All I can say is wow ? steep hill on the end of my street, absolutely flew up there. Can’t wait to get out on it properly. View attachment 37297
View attachment 37298
View attachment 37299
looks great, is there any chance you can take some pictures of the new gear cable routing over the motor? Does the cable pass through a grommet?

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
Looks great, is there any chance you can take some pictures of the new gear cable routing over the motor? Does the cable pass through a grommet?

Yes I’ll get some tomorrow for you. Not at home tonight so can’t take some until tomorrow.
I didn’t really look if I’m being honest so couldn’t say yes or no.

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
From this MBR picture, looks like brake hose is unchanged, but speed sensor and gear cable both moved.
My guess is one or two new holes in the motor casing, just below and behind the pivot point.
I can see the drill coming out, come winter :eek:

View attachment 37327

Guy's I am going to need detailed pictures of the outside, and pictures with the LH motor cover removed.
Sorry to be a pain :p:p:p
As soon as I get clear pictures of how it's routed the drill will be out! I've even got the proper grommets ready and waiting. My current routing is alongside the motor under the crank spindle which works ok for now.

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
View attachment 37298
View attachment 37299
Hi, did you manage any more pics of the gear cable routing? Mine is stripped and ready to mod depending on how the new routing works. This is my current adaption using a jagwire flexible cable section bought from bike24

20200804_224752.jpg

20200804_223651.jpg

20200804_223715.jpg

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
Hi, did you manage any more pics of the gear cable routing? Mine is stripped and ready to mod depending on how the new routing works. This is my current adaption using a jagwire flexible cable section bought from bike24

View attachment 37441

View attachment 37442

View attachment 37443

Haven’t had chance to get any pictures sorry, ran into a few issues with my house build so been busy sorting that.
I’m free tomorrow though so I’ll get some tomorrow morning for you. I won’t be able to strip anything down though as my one arm is still in a sling.

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
Haven’t had chance to get any pictures sorry, ran into a few issues with my house build so been busy sorting that.
I’m free tomorrow though so I’ll get some tomorrow morning for you. I won’t be able to strip anything down though as my one arm is still in a sling.
That's great, just clear pics of how it's routed and where it exits the frame will be fine.

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
I think Whyte must have slapped a gagging order on these new owners. :D
Or they are just having too much fun to take pictures.

Anyway I like that. (y)
Is it not just a single length of Jagwire outer?
Does it stay in place?
It comes as a 25cm length with a double ferrule at one end so I had to buy two to get two ferrules so it could be added into the existing cable. It's basically spiral wound outer casing like old brake cable outer but in a smaller size. It can bend round a very small radius. It seems to be stopping in place ok at the moment but I have thought about making a support that threads into the spline bolt directly above the crank spindle for the new routing.

20200805_220756.jpg

20200805_205910.jpg

20200805_223404.jpg

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
It comes as a 25cm length with a double ferrule at one end so I had to buy two to get two ferrules so it could be added into the existing cable. It's basically spiral wound outer casing like old brake cable outer but in a smaller size. It can bend round a very small radius. It seems to be stopping in place ok at the moment but I have thought about making a support that threads into the spline bolt directly above the crank spindle for the new routing.

View attachment 37457

View attachment 37458

View attachment 37459
This seems to be the neatest option and places the cable nearest the pivot axis. I don't think drilling the frame to take a grommet would be of any benefit with this routing.
Here is the link to the flexible housing

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles