Whyte News.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have had an order placed for a e150RS with my lbs since December but talking to them today they have been unable to get any information on expected delivery dates from the UK rep. It seems some e160s should arrive soon but maybe not any 150s.
There has however been some information about "2022" bikes arriving mid summer with the new Bosch 750 battery/smart system and the 150 becoming 160....still a 29er but possibly with the ability to convert to mullet. What that means for the existing 27.5 e160 he did not know.
Apparently a finance company has now taken control of Whyte...or is at least exercising more control over marketing strategy.
Anyone able to clarify, elaborate or otherwise comment?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Cairngorm Capital came on board last year, so yes there have been some changes, hopefully positive.

........thanks for that. It confirms part of the story I was told. As I said above I have an order placed for an E150RS and the complete silence about any re-supply of that model and the availability now of the Bosch smart system makes me wonder whether the E150 and E160 are going to merge, possibly as a 29er E160...and with the new bigger battery etc of the smart system. My LBS who attended a pretty basic briefing was told a bout a change to the battery mounting system. Whilst it will still be a complete down tube with the battery sliding in from below as now, the battery to CAN contacts will be at the top of the battery rather than the "plug" arrangement on the bottom of the battery on current bikes. I wonder if the geo has to change to accomodate the longer battery and just hope that does not result in them having to implement the stupid knock block system. I also hope the reliaiblity/protection/waterproofing of electrics is not compromised compared to the current arrangements for the charger point and mode switch. I guess if the original owner still has control over design I can trust him to do a better job than most of the competition!

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
It reads like a cash injection to increase production/accelerate development with the high demands for e-bikes recently. So Cairngorm has no tech knowledge to add with the bikes but will be keen to influence the strategy on what kind of bikes and where they are promoted I guess.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It reads like a cash injection to increase production/accelerate development with the high demands for e-bikes recently. So Cairngorm has no tech knowledge to add with the bikes but will be keen to influence the strategy on what kind of bikes and where they are promoted I guess.
mmmm....im told the original owner disliked 29ers which is why it was a while before any of the EMTBs went 29er.............but the market is dominated by 29ers.........and mullets. So again the story I was told was that the e150 becomes 160 and possibly with mullet as an option.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Let's hope that the partnership will be as beneficial as intended and will endure for many happy years.

The only concern I have when finance guys become too powerful is this:
Designers find it hard to put a financial value on a great suspension design, the feel of a great bike or to assess the benefit of a bike that is more robust or easier to maintain. Whereas the finance guys can tell you EXACTLY how much those larger pivot bearings will cost to buy and install vs smaller and less well sealed ones.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I think also Whyte are designed by bikers and have a real passion for them but a financial company will be interested in making money with possibly no idea or interest in bikes.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I think also Whyte are designed by bikers and have a real passion for them but a financial company will be interested in making money with possibly no idea or interest in bikes.
With a bit of luck, the finance guys will be mountain bikers! There is no reason why they shouldn't be!

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
They have added £1000 onto the e180 for 2022. Mine was 5400 but had a discount, that’s shocking and won’t be sticking with them after that

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
no doubt Whyte have been hit with the same cost increases as other brands but when you compare spec they still represent better value than most. The e180RS for example has DT Swiss wheels and hubs, Fox Factory 38 and X2 Foat, Code RSC brake, X01 mech etc.............how far up the Spesh range do you have to go to match that??.
My concern is not VFM but rather Whyte continuing to produce bikes engineered to cope with typical UK messy trail conditions, and not compromising for the sake of fashion.....or supposed market appeal. Their release of bikes in 2022 will be the proof of the pudding!!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I was on the Whyte web site a couple of days a go and the "virtual assistant" kept popping up, so I asked it when could I expect stock of E150RS.............of course it did not know!! I did however get a reply from the website...from a person!......who said next stock delivery was due in the UK in April. I dont know how reliable that is given I asked the same question just before Xmas, and the answer then was January! Wait and see as usual!

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
Will ask the bike shop I bought mine from when I next see him. They buy a load of them and have a good rep. Will also ask about the price increase

nigefox

Feb 1, 2022
West Mids
I was chatting to the guys in the shop i bought my e160rs at recently and they reckon the next due date for stock isnt till around July, possibly June as a push. They also confirmed there would be a price increase due to the ever increasing cost of components etc.
I guess its an unfortunate reality that the manufacture cant always keep the overall cost down and the spec up if the parts they are using are increasing out of their control.
The only other change they knew about was the wheel sizing for the e160 would have the option of a mullet setup rather than 29er front and rear. I quite like the idea of that to be honest, its definitely something i'll consider once the wheels are available.
They didnt say anything about new battery and controller options but i guess that might be due to them wanting to secure a sale with me on the current v2 spec

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Whyte have gone with V1 V2 etc rather than manufacture year which at least makes it a bit clearer what you are buying. The practise of releasing bikes anywhere from April through to September and calling them "22" bikes is a bit misleading at times. I know where to get a V2 160 RS now but chances are it has been in the shop since last June/July........regardless it is not the bike I want....I want a 29er!

Piecing together the very limited information some LBS have been given I suspect that the next delivery of bikes will indeed be mid summer and I suspect the 150/160/180 line up will be rationalised. It cannot have escaped their notice that they sold all their 29ers ( E150) very quickly whilst there are still a few E160s unsold. When you look at the GEO of the 3 bikes there is not a lot of difference........the main differentiators are the suspension designs/travel/tune and of course the 150 being 29er whilst the 160 and 180 are 27.5.
I would not be surprised if the range is reduced to 2 bikes. The E180 left as is and the other bike being a 160/150 travel with flip chip and linkage options, sitting on 29 wheels, with the option to go mullet. I think the mullet option will be facilitated by the flip chip and linkage options but not include a 27.5 wheel. If any of that turns out to be right I am quite happy to wait for a 29er E160. As it stands Whyte have released no firm information on any of that so pre ordering is not possible. That suggests to me they should be releasing information on their website maybe in April or May.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
UPDATE:
After placing an order for a bike whose spec was based on rumour and conjecture many months ago, today I finally got my bike.........E160 RSX. I have yet to set up the bike suspension and cockpit etc properly but with the little tests rides I was a ble to do at the shop just doing initial SAG settings and saddle height etc the bike feels very different to my E180 RS ( in a good way!) and the cockpit fit is not far out even as standard. In terms of looks/design, I think it is stunning. None of the Whyte web site photos or the various You Tube videos ( certainly not my phone photo) seem capable of capturing the true colour of the bike.........on some it looks nearly red, on other it looks almost like a gold colour. In reality.........you have been tango'd!!
To avoid confusion on the naming convention of these bikes, mine is a 29er front and back.
I was surprised ( and pleasantly pleased) to find it is fitted with DT Swiss HX 1700 rims plus 350 hubs whereas the web site suggested that spec was for EU bikes and UK bikes would Hope Fortus/Pro4. It means the bike is very nearly the same spec as my E180 RS albeit fork and shock are the performance Elite rather than Factory and the shock is the Float X rather than X2. Other slight spec differences are the rear tyre which is DHR11 rather than Assegai, and GX AXS rather than X01 mechanical, 10/50 cassette rather than 10/52 ( good!) .....and of course 29er rather than 27.5 front and back.
The overall "feel" of the bike...only as yet based on riding around a small area at the shop.....is however very different to the E180. It immediately feels less heavy and more lively. The frame design is very different. Despite on paper having a 3mm longer reach than my E180, it feels more compact and even with my relatively short torso, the reach to the bars etc is not far from ideal for me....I will however be changing the bars for a little more rise.

My thanks to Bicycle Chain ( especially Andy at the Weston Super Mare Branch who secured the bike for me and cheerfully responded to my regular check ins for progress/news) and the guys at at the Bridgewater branch who built the bike and set the bike up for me today.

20220709_161317.jpg

Last edited:

Chiefworm

Dec 27, 2021
United Kingdom
UPDATE:
After placing an order for a bike whose spec was based on rumour and conjecture many months ago, today I finally got my bike.........E160 RSX. I have yet to set up the bike suspension and cockpit etc properly but with the little tests rides I was a ble to do at the shop just doing initial SAG settings and saddle height etc the bike feels very different to my E180 RS ( in a good way!) and the cockpit fit is not far out even as standard. In terms of looks/design, I think it is stunning. None of the Whyte web site photos or the various You Tube videos ( certainly not my phone photo) seem capable of capturing the true colour of the bike.........on some it looks nearly red, on other it looks almost like a gold colour. In reality.........you have been tango'd!!
To avoid confusion on the naming convention of these bikes, mine is a 29er front and back.
I was surprised ( and pleasantly pleased) to find it is fitted with DT Swiss HX 1700 rims plus 350 hubs whereas the web site suggested that spec was for EU bikes and UK bikes would Hope Fortus/Pro4. It means the bike is very nearly the same spec as my E180 RS albeit fork and shock are the performance Elite rather than Factory and the shock is the Float X rather than X2. Other slight spec differences are the rear tyre which is DHR11 rather than Assegai, and GX AXS rather than X01 mechanical, 10/50 cassette rather than 10/52 ( good!) .....and of course 29er rather than 27.5 front and back.
The overall "feel" of the bike...only as yet based on riding around a small area at the shop.....is however very different to the E180. It immediately feels less heavy and more lively. The frame design is very different. Despite on paper having a 3mm longer reach than my E180, it feels more compact and even with my relatively short torso, the reach to the bars etc is not far from ideal for me....I will however be changing the bars for a little more rise.

My thanks to Bicycle Chain ( especially Andy at the Weston Super Mare Branch who secured the bike for me and cheerfully responded to my regular check ins for progress/news) and the guys at at the Bridgewater branch who built the bike and set the bike up for me today.

View attachment 92024
I am seriously considering cancelling my Santa Cruz order for one of these. Looks proper that! 👍

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I was surprised ( and pleasantly pleased) to find it is fitted with DT Swiss HX 1700 rims plus 350 hubs whereas the web site suggested that spec was for EU bikes and UK bikes would Hope Fortus/Pro4.
Looks great. Did it get the Raceface bars and stem? I noticed some confusion on those too - Whyte website says just the usual Whyte branded ones, reviews keep talking about RF ones.

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
Have seen one today in the bike shop at Sutton Bank, had Raceface bars and stem 👍, size medium, it is as mentioned Very Orange.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Looks great. Did it get the Raceface bars and stem? I noticed some confusion on those too - Whyte website says just the usual Whyte branded ones, reviews keep talking about RF ones.
yes..........but I have changed the bars for some Deity bars.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Reflectors etc removed, Shock and Fork set up, Mudguards fitted ( Mudhugger FRX on the back, RRP Enduro style on the front) Bars changed. Next job is to convert to tubeless and fit a couple of patches of 3m Helitape in vulnerable spots ( I have already done the seat stay cross member, so probably now just the chainstay cross member and the front of the chainstay behind the chainwheel).... and its thenready for a test ride.
I checked out the battery removal process. I bolt allows the motor guard to slide down and off. That motor guard is now reinforced with a metal bar all down the centre of it extending under the motor. The battery electrical connection is now at the top of the downtube held in place with a bolt through the front of the downtube. The position of that electrical connection can be moved to 2 further positions down the fron of the downtube allowing the alternative use of a 625 or 500 W/H battery. At the bottom of the battery there is a piece of webbing attached to a lever. Pulling the webbing upward releases the lever and allow the battery to slide out ( on a rail system). The bike needs to have sufficient clearance under the motor to slide the battery completely out, so in a bikestand or whatever allows the front of the bike to be raised. ( or I guess it could be done with the bike laid on its side).

Updated pic of the bike.

20220710_204630.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
First Test Ride:

Today I waited until the temperature had cooled a little and took the bike for a 12 mile test ride mostly on single track......but no jumps or drops or tech gravity runs..........those will be the next target!
I converted the bike to tubeless this morning so given this was the first ride I also had somewhat higher tyre pressures than I would normally use. So today was 28f and 30r whereas I normally run at 22f 24r or 24f 26r depending on where I am riding.

So first impression "wow". The bike begs to go fast and is quite lively and very responsive to rider input.....and very manoeuvrable. Someone asked me how it compares tot he E180 RS ( my other bike). If you look at both bikes on paper the geo figures look very similar and the component spec also almost the same but to ride the difference is chalk and cheese.

The E180 has a magic carpet ride and feels very planted and solid and very little perturbs it. Everything you would want really for bashing steep techy descents, and that is where it feels most at home. On single track it feels a bit cumbersome and heavy.......as if it is bored!!
The E160 RSX feels lighter and more playful albeit it can also bash through rough terrain without losing composure. Both bikes are size large and the E160 actually has 3mm longer reach but it feel more compact and the cockpit fit ( for me) is completely different despite the fact I have fitted the same bars to both bikes.
I guess to sum it up......... albeit based so far on one ride..........the E160RSX would be my choice for adventure rides and certainly ticks the boxes for me as a trail bike. It feels like it has good potential for enduro type riding but obviously that is the next test. By contrast the E180 is pure Enduro which is not to say it cannot do the adventure ride/trail ride type riding but it is not so engaging when on that sort of terrain.
For me, it was exactly what I was looking for. The E180 for steep rough techy descents, the E160 for everything else.

Just an early indication of battery range...........the ride of 12 miles using a mix of modes but mostly EMTB plus some messing about beforehand on the lane by my house to bed in brakes, set saddle height etc......used 1 bar of battery (20%)

GANI

May 16, 2020
Northern Ireland
Just an early indication of battery range...........the ride of 12 miles using a mix of modes but mostly EMTB plus some messing about beforehand on the lane by my house to bed in brakes, set saddle height etc......used 1 bar of battery (20%)

What height are you? I noticed the med is the same reach, but the large is getting longer and longer!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
What height are you? I noticed the med is the same reach, but the large is getting longer and longer!
6ft/183cm with 34 inch inside leg...so fairly short torso. Reach measurements can be misleading given it is only the distance between the middle of the stem and a point on the toptube vertically a bove the bb. So the height of the headtube and the seat tube angle make a difference to the bike fit and he reach measure does not account for either. Despite the e160RSX being quoted at 3mm longer reach than the E180 in reality the reach feels smaller on the E160 than the E180. The only proper test is to try one of each size Im afraid.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Reflectors etc removed, Shock and Fork set up, Mudguards fitted ( Mudhugger FRX on the back, RRP Enduro style on the front) Bars changed. Next job is to convert to tubeless and fit a couple of patches of 3m Helitape in vulnerable spots ( I have already done the seat stay cross member, so probably now just the chainstay cross member and the front of the chainstay behind the chainwheel).... and its thenready for a test ride.
I checked out the battery removal process. I bolt allows the motor guard to slide down and off. That motor guard is now reinforced with a metal bar all down the centre of it extending under the motor. The battery electrical connection is now at the top of the downtube held in place with a bolt through the front of the downtube. The position of that electrical connection can be moved to 2 further positions down the fron of the downtube allowing the alternative use of a 625 or 500 W/H battery. At the bottom of the battery there is a piece of webbing attached to a lever. Pulling the webbing upward releases the lever and allow the battery to slide out ( on a rail system). The bike needs to have sufficient clearance under the motor to slide the battery completely out, so in a bikestand or whatever allows the front of the bike to be raised. ( or I guess it could be done with the bike laid on its side).

Updated pic of the bike.

View attachment 92080
Sweeeeet

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Battery Removal:

Something that put a few people off on previous models was the process of battery removal and reinstallation. I very rarely remove the battery because I can just charge using the charging port where I store my bike ( indoors). I was curious however so decided to see what changes had been made. The motor bash guard has to be removed first...a single hex bolt. There needs to be sufficient clearance under the bike to enable the battery to slide out so needs to be in bike stand or laid on its side. I use a platform type bike stand however (photo below) so that does not work for me. So I just used a floor stand on the back wheel and a small set of steps for the front wheel (photo below).
So having removed the bash guard you merely pull a piece of webbing at the base of the battery which releases a catch and the battery slides smoothly out on a rail system. Replacement is just as simple. Slide the battery in and close the latch............refit the bash guard.

20220716_130337.jpg

20220716_133804.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles