Levo Gen 2 2020 Tubo Levo purchased in May 2020. It has been having spontaneous motor shut-offs

weihlac

Subscriber
Oct 12, 2020
USA
I have a 2020 Tubo Levo purchased in May 2020. It has been having spontaneous motor shut-offs when riding since July as well as error codes when riding or at startup. The motor was replaced (with new version) in Aug 2020 after ~500 mi. and things went well for a week, only to have the error codes and shutoffs while riding occur again. These events have happened when riding on smooth pavement and on singletrack, at the beginning of a ride, at the end of a ride, and when simply turning on the TCU prior to the ride. The bike went back to the shop in October for 10 days and they could find nothing wrong and said they rode it without any error codes or shutoffs.

In looking online I have found two suggestions: one is that the battery to motor cable has a kink can be remedied by a new modified version of the cable. I am awaiting a new cable at the shop.

Others have suggested using an electrical contact spray on the battery terminal and cable connector. This may have helped, but since the error codes are sporadic and unpredictable I am not certain that this actually made a difference.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
On the basis you have had the same fault with 2 motors it suggests another part of the electrical circuit is causing the problem...not the motor(s). That leaves the TCU, the battery and the wiring between those components and the motor. Given the bike started having problems after only a few weeks from new the change of those other components being faulty seems less likely unless damaged somehow.
Alternatively it is something you are doing to the bike, possibly washing it incorrectly?

fraatti

Jun 1, 2020
Finland
I had random powershutoffs and reason was loose power cable. At last it didn't turn on at all.

I would switch cable.

TahoeMtns

Nov 2, 2020
Truckee
I currently experienced the same thing yesterday riding. Power shut off a few times while riding. Now when I try to start TCU just gives the 'battery not found' error message. Should I look for the missing battery on the trail somewhere?
Gonna try cleaning connections otherwise needs a new chord hopefully that's it??

weihlac

Subscriber
Oct 12, 2020
USA
I currently experienced the same thing yesterday riding. Power shut off a few times while riding. Now when I try to start TCU just gives the 'battery not found' error message. Should I look for the missing battery on the trail somewhere?
Gonna try cleaning connections otherwise needs a new chord hopefully that's it??
Using electrical contact cleaner may have helped mine. The problem persists with no predictability, although less often on paved trails (our mountain trails are now under snow cover in Colorado). I am waiting for the new "improved" (hopefully) battery-motor connection cable to arrive. I am hoping to wait until all of our trails are snow-covered to change the cable.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles