Levo Gen 2 2020 Levo turning off on downhills

Dmurphy48

Dec 25, 2019
Evergreen, co
I went on a fairly rocky rough fast descent today twice and both time the bike turned off about mid way down. When I got to the bottom I opened the charging port and re closed and it turned on fine and ran again for the uphill. Given the rough nature of the track I am guessing the charge port just slightly dislodged during a hard landing or impact. Granted I have ridden this track plenty of times and can't say this has happened before. Has anyone else experienced the magnet cover weaken over time. I suppose I could duct tape it shut but hope there is a more refined answer.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The Rosenberger RoPD connector is good for 2500 connections/disconnections so very unlikely. It is more likely the contacts are dirty or there is foreign matter in the plug preventing a full contact.

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
I find that when I go over really rocky secant at high speed the connection pops off and on again .. and need to re-switch the bike on....

now when I do really chunky stuff I just duck tape the connection closed... have not had a issue since

timmers

I've been in similar situations with my Turbo Levo, and I'd narrowed it down to some grit on the battery charge port/connector. I'd spray it with some contact cleaner occasionally. And finally, what has solved this completely, is my purchase of the amygos bottom bracket protector. Not only does it protect the bottom, it also provide another function - that is to cover the connector on the one side and the chainring on the other. So for that connector, it doesn't seem to pick up much filth in that area anymore, and also is a reasonably tight fit such that the connector won't loosen up on rough trails, etc.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
I think I have had this a few times on my July 2019 TL to be honest but never really reasoned it out. Reading your thread it does seem to make sense that a few times at the bottom of a decent I have stopped (waited for er' in doors) and then ridden off to find that the battery was off after churning away for a few meters thinking how hard the trail had become.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I've been in similar situations with my Turbo Levo, and I'd narrowed it down to some grit on the battery charge port/connector. I'd spray it with some contact cleaner occasionally. And finally, what has solved this completely, is my purchase of the amygos bottom bracket protector. Not only does it protect the bottom, it also provide another function - that is to cover the connector on the one side and the chainring on the other. So for that connector, it doesn't seem to pick up much filth in that area anymore, and also is a reasonably tight fit such that the connector won't loosen up on rough trails, etc.
I have a neoprene DIY cover on mine..and yes it prevents a lot of dust and grime getting in there. To be clear however, no amount of downhill chatter will break the magenetic connection assuming that connection is fully made. So you are right, it is some foreign matter most likely where the pins get inserted that is preventing a close magnetic connection if it fails on chattery trails. Quite apart from trail grit dust etc Levo riders also need to be careful that neither the charging port or the connector on the charger pick up metallic pieces since both are of course magnetic. Easily done if neither is properly protected and especially if the charger is used on a garage/shed floor. Good practise is to keep the charger connector covered with some type of cap when not in use.

Duece

Jan 18, 2021
San Diego, Ca. US
I put a very small amount of dielectric grease on my battery connection and haven’t had a problem since. I ride some very chunky stuff and it was extremely annoying when it turned off and a transition was coming up. I still clean around the connection when needed.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I put a very small amount of dielectric grease on my battery connection and haven’t had a problem since. I ride some very chunky stuff and it was extremely annoying when it turned off and a transition was coming up. I still clean around the connection when needed.
I would advise against that....the grease just attracts dust. Best plan is for the contacts to be clean.
Apply a little grease around the chamfered edge of the motor to battery connector which will create a secondary seal when the connection is made......... and a little silicone lube on the "o" ring seal to keep it flexible and to ensure it does not provide resistance to the connector fully engaging. Keep the contacts dry and clean and treat/clean occasionally with contact cleaner. The contact cleaner removes build up up of oxidation and provides protection against oxidation for a few months.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
The Rosenberger RoPD connector is good for 2500 connections/disconnections so very unlikely. It is more likely the contacts are dirty or there is foreign matter in the plug preventing a full contact.
Mine has been playing up for a couple of weeks. Have to plug and unplug about twenty times before i get even a red blip. Once i get that it seems to go on after a few more trys . Leave it for a couple of hours the same thing wont switch on . Took cables off dried etc inside no difference. The bike is going back to dealer due to play in headset so get them to check it out. Not been used for 3 weeks just waiting for speccialized to get back to dealer.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
check to see if your bike has the v3 battery to motor cable. The V2 gave a lot of trouble. Lots of info on the forum here to help you identify the V3 from the V2.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
check to see if your bike has the v3 battery to motor cable. The V2 gave a lot of trouble. Lots of info on the forum here to help you identify the V3 from the V2.
I got a new cable over a year ago , its flat instead of round one i had. Its going back to dealer with frame so they can have a shifty thanks.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
For what it's worth, you may be in the early stages of what happened to mine, 2020 Levo. Charging port door slowly became slightly loose and would rotate very slightly when attached firmly. I've always been very gentle on it but it has been scratched up in some crashes, so it obviously took some significant impacts. Very rough rocky/rooty terrain where I ride. Same thing happened and began to happen constantly and Bike was only usable if I duck taped the port door tightly over a short 8 mm diameter piece of twig for a firm connection. The twig had to be over the absolute center of the connection and not over the edge of the port door, or it would not work. Bike shop immediately determined that this was a warranty issue and a new power cord was needed. That came in a few days later and was changed out and I have never had a problem since then. So if your problem comes back in spite of meticulous cleaning that could be the remedy as well.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
For what it's worth, you may be in the early stages of what happened to mine, 2020 Levo. Charging port door slowly became slightly loose and would rotate very slightly when attached firmly. I've always been very gentle on it but it has been scratched up in some crashes, so it obviously took some significant impacts. Very rough rocky/rooty terrain where I ride. Same thing happened and began to happen constantly and Bike was only usable if I duck taped the port door tightly over a short 8 mm diameter piece of twig for a firm connection. The twig had to be over the absolute center of the connection and not over the edge of the port door, or it would not work. Bike shop immediately determined that this was a warranty issue and a new power cord was needed. That came in a few days later and was changed out and I have never had a problem since then. So if your problem comes back in spite of meticulous cleaning that could be the remedy as well.
Only happened since i cleaned a couple weeks ago. Dealer will check out its going back to him

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles