2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

robikinkela

Oct 11, 2018
Aosta IT
It would be easy to make irony about what happened to me in the afternoon, but this is not the case, I think it is something to be taken seriously. After an afternoon lap I put the Levo 2019 on the easel to do some small maintenance and I was intrigued in front of a sheet of leaves and some pine needles that came out of the left plastic casing. I do not want to make it long but what I found inside the engine compartment, after having removed the pedal and the carter, left me stunned; no need to comment on the photos that, in my opinion, are quite explicit. The offending material enters from the hole at the back of the engine, in the lower area where the wagon is hinged (see photo). Initially I couldn't believe that at that point there was a hole which communicate with the engine compartment but I had to change my mind. The fact is that this situation can be, in my opinion, potentially dangerous: the electric motor heats up and what you can see in the photos is flammable material. Apart from the maintenance, with a cleaning that, at this point, should be done regularly , I cannot understand that the designer could have been able to conceive such a shit! There must be an explanation. Or not?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

7.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Looks like they solved one issue from the 18 by making a bigger drainage hole, only to create another.

Someone mentioned to me the other day about the motor casing getting pretty hot, anyone notice this?

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
It would be easy to make irony about what happened to me in the afternoon, but this is not the case, I think it is something to be taken seriously. After an afternoon lap I put the Levo 2019 on the easel to do some small maintenance and I was intrigued in front of a sheet of leaves and some pine needles that came out of the left plastic casing. I do not want to make it long but what I found inside the engine compartment, after having removed the pedal and the carter, left me stunned; no need to comment on the photos that, in my opinion, are quite explicit. The offending material enters from the hole at the back of the engine, in the lower area where the wagon is hinged (see photo). Initially I couldn't believe that at that point there was a hole which communicate with the engine compartment but I had to change my mind. The fact is that this situation can be, in my opinion, potentially dangerous: the electric motor heats up and what you can see in the photos is flammable material. Apart from the maintenance, with a cleaning that, at this point, should be done regularly , I cannot understand that the designer could have been able to conceive such a shit! There must be an explanation. Or not?

View attachment 6613

View attachment 6614

View attachment 6615

View attachment 6616

View attachment 6617

View attachment 6618

View attachment 6619
That is not good......How long have you had the bike for and how many kilometres have you ridden?

robikinkela

Oct 11, 2018
Aosta IT
That is not good......How long have you had the bike for and how many kilometres have you ridden?
I have the bike recently and I have traveled about 400 km. on mountain roads and paths in an Italian region called Valle d'Aosta. Naturally autumn brings with it many leaves and dirt of various kinds on the paths but this problem is serious and, in my opinion, it would require a specialized intervention. At least as an explanation.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I have the bike recently and I have traveled about 400 km. on mountain roads and paths in an Italian region called Valle d'Aosta. Naturally autumn brings with it many leaves and dirt of various kinds on the paths but this problem is serious and, in my opinion, it would require a specialized intervention. At least as an explanation.
@Specialized Rider Care

Can you please look to the story and pictures above? It seems like there is a design modification required for the 2019 Levo. I have seen an earlier post on this forum as well from someone else in the US which had exactly the same problem. That post included similar pictures as well.

From my point of view this seems a design failure. If I understand things correctly there is a huge gap between the back bracket hinge and the frame. Is that gap required for cooling perhaps? However it seems many dirt is being thrown into that gap via the rear tyre.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria
Is it only the aluminium frame or also the carbon? I guess the "dirt problem" around the engine could be easily solved with a rear wheel mud catcher, maybe from Specialized itself, will use my front wheel mudguard from Rockguardz, it fits very well. I will also try to make a custom made silicone plug for closing the gap.

j.

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Are you 100% sure all of the pine needles and dirt are getting into the engine area via this hole or is there another hole somewhere?
I cant see how all of it could get in via this hole and work its way up into the engine as surely gravity would prevent most of it going in and also up? Like I said above, is there another opening elsewhere on the motor like on the side or on the top somewhere that isnt that noticeable?

@Specialized Rider Care might want to know more details on this so they can alert the designers.

Ingerss issue.PNG

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria
Are you 100tire where are all of the pine needles and dirt are getting into the engine area via this hole or is there another hole somewhere?
I cant see how all of it could get in via this hole and work its way up into the engine as surely gravity would prevent most of it going in and also up? Like I said above, is there another opening elsewhere on the motor like on the side or on the top somewhere that isnt that noticeable?

@Specialized Rider Care might want to know more details on this so they can alert the designers.

View attachment 6657
This isnt the hole. Its on the hole between frame and rear tire where the dirt gets in.

IMG_20181023_110403.jpg

TheLexus

Sep 22, 2018
Germany/Saxony
I guess the hole is for cooling purposes and specialized hoped that no dirt passes the rear swing arm directly in back of the hole... but dirt is tricky :)

I would try a metallic mesh installed from the inside ... should not influence the cooling but prevents the bigger dirt...

If i remember i have read someone has already done that.

robikinkela

Oct 11, 2018
Aosta IT
This isnt the hole. Its on the hole between frame and rear tire where the dirt gets in.

View attachment 6658
Yes, the hole from where dirt enters is this. Probably everything has been amplified by the fact that in this period I ride paths full of leaves and the rear wheel easily accumulates the dirt coming from the hole in question. But the problem remains. It is necessary to study an effective remedy to avoid having often to clean the engine compartment. Surely a fender or a piece of sponge put in the right place couldt be useful.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Yes, the hole from where dirt enters is this. Probably everything has been amplified by the fact that in this period I ride paths full of leaves and the rear wheel easily accumulates the dirt coming from the hole in question. But the problem remains. It is necessary to study an effective remedy to avoid having often to clean the engine compartment. Surely a fender or a piece of sponge put in the right place couldt be useful.

You have not been the first complainer about this issue. If you look some posts back you will find another post of an Italian forum member named "ginogino" who has been collecting stones and leaves via the same gap.

I am also worried while I ordered the Levo 2019 Comp with the aluminium frame as well. If there is such a huge gap which is directly in contact with the engine compartment water (when riding the bike but also when washing the bike!) can collect itself. If there is some mud or leaves as well then which blocks the water drain in the bottom engine compartment cover plate the motor can complete drown. From my point of view this seems poor engineering. Maybe the gap is closed on the carbon frames. I am not sure but it would be interesting to see if there is a difference.

Levo Lution

Oct 10, 2018
Slovakia
You have not been the first complainer about this issue. If you look some posts back you will find another post of an Italian forum member named "ginogino" who has been collecting stones and leaves via the same gap.

I am also worried while I ordered the Levo 2019 Comp with the aluminium frame as well. If there is such a huge gap which is directly in contact with the engine compartment water (when riding the bike but also when washing the bike!) can collect itself. If there is some mud or leaves as well then which blocks the water drain in the bottom engine compartment cover plate the motor can complete drown. From my point of view this seems poor engineering. Maybe the gap is closed on the carbon frames. I am not sure but it would be interesting to see if there is a difference.
Why would carbon frame be different? From what I read aluminium frame itself cools the motor better than carbon frame, so it would not need bigger gap.

GP6OWEN

Sep 20, 2018
Bournemouth

It’s the same on the carbon I have the carbon comp and have the same problem I have contacted the Specialized Concept Store where I brought it and they forwarded it on with the photos. I’ll keep you posted

ED60FADD-3FD3-4188-90F9-A26ADD7B4826.jpeg

0279576A-6D9C-4F45-B3AD-2767EABDC14D.jpeg

r23ves

Oct 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Sure enough I looked in mine and its full of crap as well (possibly literally as there is lots of sheep shit around here!) .

IMG_20181023_174852.jpg

Last edited:

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
At a minimum, I'd stick some foam in there to keep most of the bigger stuff out. Motocross riders use it to keep areas of their bikes clear on mud days.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
@Specialized Rider Care
Can you please have a look at the pictures above. It seems the new plastic engine compartment of the new Levo 2019 models (aluminium and carbon ones) have a huge gap between the motor cover and the frame. The gap is pointed out already on the pictures above.

Can you please explain why that gap is there? It there due to cooling reasons? If so, why didn't you add a mesh to prevent dirt and mud entering the engine compartment? I am really astonished to see how much dirt is entering the engine compartment in such a short amount of time. The engine compartment covers don't seem to be fit for purpose.

Can you please roll out a corrective action?

ernstal

Sep 6, 2018
Austria
Hi everyone,

broke the battery cover days ago on a graveled road. I think Specialized uses the wrong type of plastics, which is too brittle in respect to the use of mountain bikes.

It broke due to the impact of rather small stones on a road with stones. I guess this will me a major issue in the next time, or this part on my bike has just failed because of a manufacturing problem. This should be an more elastic

I hope specialized will notice this issue. Anyway, something like that should not happen.

levo-battery.jpg

levo-battery2.jpg

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
You should start a new thread to get it noticed.

Hi Jay, can you maybe help me to do this? I think the idea is good but I am not sure how to transfer all the posts and pictures of other members regarding this topic to another thread.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Looking at all sorts of issues you have, basically in 1 year time our 2019 LEVO will fall apart?
Can't imagine what would bike look like in 5 years time, o yes the battary will be long dead by than and the bike would probably be on a scrapyard somewhere.
Good investment Thomas....you plonker...:poop:

Travelly

Apr 7, 2018
Bath,UK
All of these issues are seriously making me want to cancel my 2019 Levo order. I dont want to lay down 5k only to have a raft of problems with the bike. I am expecting a premium product.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles