2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
This is really disappointing to see, I thought my 2017 Levo was bad as it had a gap near the rear chainstay pivot that let in pine needles, dirt and mud in. That was the reason my motor had to be replaced.
To resolve this issue I fitted some ‘motocross’ foam over the hole as per the pictures below.
I was really hoping they had fixed this issue but it looks like they have made it worse on the new 2019 model.... ?

41E5E005-73AD-4C4A-9AD3-9885DDB47BFE.jpeg
7FE4397F-A26A-4C3D-9C17-188DD7EB3A1E.jpeg
724A3790-3D82-493C-837D-287160E7B085.jpeg

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
This is very disappointing i thought they would have learned by now that not everyone rides in the moab desert

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
What i don't get (aside from maybe weight, or cooling) is why they don't use the generic casing under the Levo covers? Correct me if i am wrong, but the motor is essentially naked under the Levo covers, which to me look cosmetically driven rather than performance?

Brose-Drive-S-Mag-header.jpg

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I dont understand why when they redesigned 2.1 motor they didnt address the main problem that has caused ,90 % of previous problems the connectors. Surely it would have been simple to hard wire the motor and bring the connectors to the top of the bike.they would have been far less vunarable to mud and crud build up

r23ves

Oct 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Correct me if i am wrong, but the motor is essentially naked under the Levo covers, which to me look cosmetically driven rather than performance?

The covers dont seem to be keeping much out so I'm wondering now if you could just remove the levo covers and create your own bashguard to protect the bottom (without trapping muck). Maybe they do serve another purpose?

Edit: Something like this bulls bike.
Bulls-E-Stream-EVO-eMTB-News-Brose-14-von-23-810x540.jpg

Last edited:

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Is it only the aluminium frame or also the carbon? I guess the "dirt problem" around the engine could be easily solved with a rear wheel mud catcher, maybe from Specialized itself, will use my front wheel mudguard from Rockguardz, it fits very well. I will also try to make a custom made silicone plug for closing the gap.

j.
Flipped mine over to check and there looks like a load of shit in there already after a ride. It's not looking good for a UK winter ahead

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
What's making me nervous now is the possible down time for replacement parts as I need my bike for work and the talk of broken motors etc. Also, if it happens regularly and I've had enough and I've changed all the components, then what?

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria
Seems to be logical. I guess the make an silicone impression and then a plaster model for fitting the silicone mat on it. As a dental technician i think thats the best method.

j.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
This is extremely disappointing to see\read :-(

My 2017 motor was replaced within 12 months. 2018 motor still going after 13 months. I don't hold out much hope the for 2019!

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
This isnt the hole. Its on the hole between frame and rear tire where the dirt gets in.

View attachment 6658
Can anyone take a picture of this gap with a proper light shining on the hole/gap so we can see how big the hole/gap actually is please?

Or can you measure the hole for us with width and height measurements? I guess it must be a really big hole/gap to allow entire leaves in :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
As I was looking at the shops bike today. There are two bolts that hold some kinda plate where the gap is. It is quite big around 6-7mm wide.
I Was thinking, that it could be covered with one or two layers of mosquito net and attached on both sides( Frame and plate), with some good transparent film.
velcro-mosquito-net.png

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I was just thinking about such a solution:

AAF2D32E-5C71-4FAE-9FCB-303A79423FB3.jpeg

I just received a phonecall of our LBS. I may pick up my bike next weekend. Hopefully this issue and some other 2019 issues get solved by Spesh soon.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Cool. Are you you UK based or somewhere else?

The problem is whatever specialized come up with will be a reactive measure and not designed into the bike from day 1.

I am based in The Netherlands. Delivery took about 3,5 weeks after order. I was also surprised while I expected some additional delays due to the noise 2019 issue which firstly was required to be solved.

I think Spesh is forced to come up with a solution (update, recall or ?) while this is not a fit for purpose design. Maybe they just released the 2019 design to quickly to the market. Who knows? However if leaves, mud, needles, etc. are so easy to collect behind the engine covers, I am sure that when you wash the bike or when it rains, the electric connections will soak and will cause issues while the whole engine bay area stays wet for a long period of time.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
I think European supply is warehoused in the Netherlands as my bike in Switzerland was shipped from there so you should be first.

JP1

Sep 13, 2018
Switzerland
For now I have solved this way: it seems that it works!
View attachment 6701
I think the solution is more complex than what has been said and showed until now.
Same issue on my S-Works Carbon.
Plenty of leaves dirt and even stones after only 300 km.
Took me a while but found there is not one there are two openings. Considering the engineers from Spec to be far from dumm I assume this is a kind of cooling fender for the motor. So the first question would be " do we risk overheating of the motor if we close the openings?"
If not the foam that will solve the issue would be a foam that close both openings.
I closed both now since my Spec dealer has a new motor (loud) coming for begin of December.
Site tricky. Best would be to remove the rear wheel and the chain stay to get easy access.
The foam I used is a (viscoelastic foam) that was on my R&D shelf (not as I know on market). This foam can be pressed from 10mm to 2 without much effort and takes the volume available shortly after. Thus filling the gap available.
I will monitor the accumulation of dirt over the next few weeks and latest in December when the bike is in for motor replacement I will be able to see the difference.
If the openings are for cooling than the engineering should be such that a "schikane" would avoid any dirt to get in the motor housing.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I think the solution is more complex than what has been said and showed until now.
Same issue on my S-Works Carbon.
Plenty of leaves dirt and even stones after only 300 km.
Took me a while but found there is not one there are two openings. Considering the engineers from Spec to be far from dumm I assume this is a kind of cooling fender for the motor. So the first question would be " do we risk overheating of the motor if we close the openings?"
If not the foam that will solve the issue would be a foam that close both openings.
I closed both now since my Spec dealer has a new motor (loud) coming for begin of December.
Site tricky. Best would be to remove the rear wheel and the chain stay to get easy access.
The foam I used is a (viscoelastic foam) that was on my R&D shelf (not as I know on market). This foam can be pressed from 10mm to 2 without much effort and takes the volume available shortly after. Thus filling the gap available.
I will monitor the accumulation of dirt over the next few weeks and latest in December when the bike is in for motor replacement I will be able to see the difference.
If the openings are for cooling than the engineering should be such that a "schikane" would avoid any dirt to get in the motor housing.

I completely share your thoughts. It would be nice if Spesh would be able to confirm to their customers why they have choosen for these openings or should I say vents. I asked the question at my LBS as well. They have a dealer meeting November 5th. I hope they can bring it to the table if it's not explained and solved before that time.

Can you maybe share a picture of the 2nd opening?

I think the foam you are refering is a kind of foam which you would normally use between a window frame and a brick wall as well, right?

steviedsolve

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Wolverhampton
The engineers should have gone to 'Spec' Savers. I'm stunned by this. I was toying with a Levo or Kenevo, but I think I'll stick to my Haibike. At least on the Haibike's the vent is on the front of the guard and any crud sits at the bottom of the guard away from the motor. Saying that I reckon a Crud Catcher in front of the tyre would stop most of the debris getting in. I wouldn't be blocking that gap with foam for fear of over heating.

robikinkela

Oct 11, 2018
Aosta IT
Update on the noise issue: today I have brought the bike to the the dealer. He has tried it and confirmed what he told me after the first short test he did: the noise of my bike falls within the norms. As proof of this, he let me try a brand new model. the same as mine. I must say, that the noise level, even under load, is almost identical. I traveled the same road strech in the same conditions, first with the test model, then with mine. So the noise question is closed, in the sense that the bicycle has some characteristics that make it physiologically noisier than 2018, which obviously, you have to get used to. I do not hide my perplexity but, I must recognize, to the proof of the facts, between the two Levo I have tried, there is not a difference that can make me say that my 2019 represents an anomaly from the point of view of the noise. The fact remains that, personally, I prefer better the discretion of the 2018 model (which I owned).

Last edited:

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Update on the noise issue: today I have brought the bike to the the dealer. He has tried it and confirmed what he told me after the first short test he did: the noise of my bike falls within the norms. As proof of this, he let me try a brand new model. the same as mine. I must say, that the noise level, even under load, is almost identical. I traveled the same road strech in the same conditions, first with the test model, then with mine. So the noise question is closed, in the sense that the bicycle has some characteristics that make it physiologically noisier than 2018, which obviously, you have to get used to. I do not hide my perplexity but, I must recognize, to the proof of the facts, between the two Levo I have tried, there is not a difference that can make me say that my 2019 represents an anomaly from the point of view of the noise. The fact remains that, personally, I prefer better the discretion of the 2018 model (which I owned).

Thanks for your post! My 2019 Comp will be supplied next Saturday. I am very curious as well about the noise level. I especially ordered this bike due to the low noise level Brose motor which I test ride on a 2018 model. I hope I don't get disappointed.

Did your dealer say something about the gap we have been talking about? Is it meant as a heat vent or can we just close the gap like you did with foam?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I especially ordered this bike due to the low noise level Brose motor which I test ride on a 2018 model. I hope I don't get disappointed.
Just take a Bosch motored for bike for a test ride, you won't worry about the noise coming from your Levo ever again.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Just take a Bosch motored for bike for a test ride, you won't worry about the noise coming from your Levo ever again.

You are right, I have driven the Bosch CX as well and I found that one VERY loud and therefore searched further. I tried the Shimano as well. The Levo (Brose) 2018 was quiet during my test ride. I only hope the 2019 model is in about the same range as the 2018 version. I will post my findings on the forum after I have driven my new bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles