Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Couldn't they offer some nice metallic or chameleon colors they offer for other MTB and Road models like this:
Not everyone thinks that ^^ is a nice colour. I for one really don't like metalic coloured bike frames

It's rubbish that bike manufacturers void your warranty if you have your frame re-painted though.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Not everyone thinks that ^^ is a nice colour. I for one really don't like metalic coloured bike frames

It's rubbish that bike manufacturers void your warranty if you have your frame re-painted though.
Your kidding, do they?
Does it say that in the warranty docs?
@Al Boneta what is your take on this?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My Trek has the serial number stamped on the frame and also on a sticker with a barcode. The sticker clearly states warranty void if removed.
IMG_3201.JPG

So I can’t strip the frame and get it repainted in cool colours. ?

Lxmaso

Sep 2, 2018
Venice
all my bikes are , wait,........matte black
You have only one life! Enjoy it!
Black is like dead...and it’s a bike! I’m already very upset because the new Cervelo R5 Di2 is only fucking full black and I have no chances!
9500 for a fantastic bike painted in a ugly black/black. Not even the logo colored!!!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Your kidding, do they?
Does it say that in the warranty docs?
@Al Boneta what is your take on this?
No. Not kidding.

I've asked every manufacturer I've ever thought about buying a bike/frame from if they don't do it in a colour I like. Haven't found one single manufacturer who'd uphold warranty after a powdercoat or spray job. Have gone ahead and done it anyway many times but I wouldn't with an Emtb - Warranty is too precious there.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I guess so, but I don't jetwash my bikes. It's not paper, it's a HD plastic sticker.

TorAtle

Aug 4, 2018
OSLO
The other two things you mentioned are things I personally wouldn’t want. Integrated lights that I wouldn’t use the majority of the time that could break off in a crash. I use two 3600 lumen lights when I night ride and I am glad they don’t draw power from my battery.
GPS tracking, is something that I added to my bike for $50.00.
How many watt hours is your light battery? Or in % of 700Wh? I bet it's not that significant. In the dark, the ride is over when lights are out or the motor battery is dead, so might as well share the same battery. I am however flexible and will accept a detachable unit :) Things that should use the integrated battery: GPS, lights (front and rear), dropper post, derailleur, head unit, heated handlebar grips (would be great for winter riding). We'll get there eventually.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
My Trek has the serial number stamped on the frame and also on a sticker with a barcode. The sticker clearly states warranty void if removed.
So I can’t strip the frame and get it repainted in cool colours. ?

From the internet: "Those 'warranty void if removed' stickers are illegal, says the FTC. ... As it turns out, these stickers are not only ugly, but in fact deceptive and potentially illegal in the U.S., as per a series of warning letters the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) sent to six companies.Apr 11, 2018"

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
From the internet: "Those 'warranty void if removed' stickers are illegal, says the FTC. ... As it turns out, these stickers are not only ugly, but in fact deceptive and potentially illegal in the U.S., as per a series of warning letters the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) sent to six companies.Apr 11, 2018"
That's in the USA. I wonder what the legal position is in the UK. Do you know which 6 companies?
However, simply removing a sticker is a world apart from stripping a frame to get it repainted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles