Whyte e-mtb

GANI

May 16, 2020
Northern Ireland
I'm the same height and have a medium 150rs. Demo'd both medium and large and went with the medium, felt a bit more responsive.

I sat on a med e150 and thought the cock pit felt a bit small, issue is there is only two Whyte dealers in NI and one never seems to be in a rush to get stock and the other seems to only order in what you want after you have paid. I may never get a chance to test a large!

My normal ebike is a merida e120 800 and it has a reach of 440 I think as it's a med but it felt nicer to sit on than the med whyte did. It's a lot of money if I end up with the wrong size!

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
Hi all, this is my first post, got my e150rs a couple of weeks ago, it's my first ebike but I've been mountain biking for 35+ years. Love the bike, been doing some tweeks n mods bit been waiting for some clear images of the 2021 model before deciding on rear mech cable routing. This was just posted on twitter and here's the you tube link. It seems we can get a higher bb height with a suspension link they are going to make available. They did the same thing a few years ago with 146s that I had.

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
Hi all, this is my first post, got my e150rs a couple of weeks ago, it's my first ebike but I've been mountain biking for 35+ years. Love the bike, been doing some tweeks n mods bit been waiting for some clear images of the 2021 model before deciding on rear mech cable routing. This was just posted on twitter and here's the you tube link. It seems we can get a higher bb height with a suspension link they are going to make available. They did the same thing a few years ago with 146s that I had.
I spoke to my local whyte dealer today who in turn spoke to whyte. Mid August hopefully for a new suspension link that will increase bb height by 12mm. Two different version will be available apparently. I'm now booked in for my 85nm update too?

20200709_214943.jpg

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
I spoke to my local whyte dealer today who in turn spoke to whyte. Mid August hopefully for a new suspension link that will increase bb height by 12mm. Two different version will be available apparently. I'm now booked in for my 85nm update too?

View attachment 36926
Would be interested to see how this link works with the E150 with an upgraded air Shaft taken up to 160mm on the front.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
I see on the 2021 bikes, the gear cable goes over the motor and through a hole in the frame to the swingarm, eliminating the cable bend other DIY methods have resulted in. I couldn't see the full route of the cable at the front of the motor. Is there any difference here to the 2020 bikes? I might have to get my drill out!

2021 E160RS gear cable routing.jpg

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
See my thread on cable re-route for 2020 bikes.
You can achieve 90% of the same re-route as a 2021 bike without getting your drill out.
Only difference is the gear cable exits a little closer to the chainring, but I don't anticipate an issue
Regards

Cheers, I hadn't even noticed we had a Whyte section now!, and I hadn't seen your cable re-route thread.

Looks good, I'm sure to follow your guide, thanks for posting. Just putting my drill away now.

moseven

Aug 13, 2020
manchester
I only went to have a look and 3 hours latter I was having my first ride on my 160.

Cables are a little long and need reducing at some point. Can't believe the power from the motor, it does run over a little when you stop peddling.

View attachment 38587

Very nice - I think I like that colour better than the RS which I was just about to order :)

Whats your thoughts on the bike?

Did you get a test ride? If yes can you say where? I've been trying but nobody has them to test.

cheers
Mo

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Very nice - I think I like that colour better than the RS which I was just about to order :)

Whats your thoughts on the bike?

Did you get a test ride? If yes can you say where? I've been trying but nobody has them to test.

cheers
Mo

i popped into my lbs to see when they would have some and they had 4 160s

i only rode it up the road to get the fit right, I roughly new what to expect as I’ve owned a T130 before.

It seems , no test rides or discounts as they are selling them as soon as they get them.

Think they have 2 RS and one S which is a medium, I think a M and L in the RS.

It seems to be a great ride, I didn’t think 12 speed would work but it does.
I was unsure about going from a 140 bike to a 160 due to my type of riding but you
cant tell your on a big burly bike it’s great to ride.

However still need to get it set up right and will ride again today to dial everything in, should have a better idea by Sunday but so far very pleased.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Brought the new Whyte ebike RS180 , picked up 2 weeks ago. Brought mine from Spokes of Bagshot, try and speak with James the owner.( they did have demos available) ordered picked up in 3 weeks. Had Kiox system fitted, running tubeless plus Hope F20 pedals fitted. Its the nuts. Awesome bike.

Whats Kiox like to use?
Is this a self or dealer install?

Id like to try the mapping and get the screen to the centre of the bike.

moseven

Aug 13, 2020
manchester
i popped into my lbs to see when they would have some and they had 4 160s

i only rode it up the road to get the fit right, I roughly new what to expect as I’ve owned a T130 before.

It seems , no test rides or discounts as they are selling them as soon as they get them.

Think they have 2 RS and one S which is a medium, I think a M and L in the RS.

It seems to be a great ride, I didn’t think 12 speed would work but it does.
I was unsure about going from a 140 bike to a 160 due to my type of riding but you
cant tell your on a big burly bike it’s great to ride.

However still need to get it set up right and will ride again today to dial everything in, should have a better idea by Sunday but so far very pleased.
Good to know - Thanks for the info - Don't forget to report back with a ride report - As you said they are hard to get a proper test ride and selling like hot cakes. - Good luck.

ossiehere

May 30, 2020
East Sussex
Whats Kiox like to use?
Is this a self or dealer install?

Id like to try the mapping and get the screen to the centre of the bike.
Kiox was fitted by the dealer. Everything is Bluetooth to your phone. I have not tried the mapping yet. It takes a bit of time to get used to the small buttons. But so much better than the normal display which was originally fitted to the bike. But the bike is totally brilliant.

Baileyjd

Aug 23, 2018
Midlands.
Kiox was fitted by the dealer. Everything is Bluetooth to your phone. I have not tried the mapping yet. It takes a bit of time to get used to the small buttons. But so much better than the normal display which was originally fitted to the bike. But the bike is totally brilliant.

Brought the new Whyte ebike RS180 , picked up 2 weeks ago. Brought mine from Spokes of Bagshot, try and speak with James the owner.( they did have demos available) ordered picked up in 3 weeks. Had Kiox system fitted, running tubeless plus Hope F20 pedals fitted. Its the nuts. Awesome bike.

View attachment 38598

View attachment 38599
Bike looks amazing ... can I ask how much it cost you to have the Kiox fitted ? Cheers

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Good to know - Thanks for the info - Don't forget to report back with a ride report - As you said they are hard to get a proper test ride and selling like hot cakes. - Good luck.

I loved my Focus and it was a trail bike, the 160 is completely different and is a full on all mountain bike. You just point it and say I'm going that way.

Zebs - Very stiff, combined with the wide bars it gives you great control and the front end is really stiff and planted on the rocky downhills.
You only get pressure and rebound settings, although they feel OK more work to do to see how plush I can get them to feel.
You only get 2 spacers, which for me makes the riding position a little low, just enough room to add one more and I've got the bars at the highest point. Feels good but a pity you don't have more to play with, I understand the design so , young guys won't have an issue, I can see why they are this way so you get some weight on the front end, being 60 with dodgy back I prefer a more upright position.

Frame - As you expect from a Whyte its very stiff and works well, at 5' 10" the large seems the way to go so the cockpit does not feel cramped.
Its a great ride and seems really well made and sorted.

Brakes - Very powerful with good modulation, they squeal like pigs when wet but soon dry out, you have to watch the power on a tarmac decent and its easy to lock the rear, they do the job well and no upgrades required.

Motor - I know a lot has been made of the power increase, I've not ridden this type before. At this point I'd say its the only weak point of the bike.....
Yes it delivers lots of power, which is not an issues if you are riding not technical stuff, however the weak point is how it delivers the power.
When you need to go slow and apply it gently over technical elements you can't, its feels like a bull in a china shop, alway on and in a rush, it makes it very hard to apply power as you need it. The worrying element is you can apply a slight amount of pressure and the motor will carry on running for a second or two.
I actually fell off on a muddy technical section, applied a bit of pressure and stoped peddling, motor carried on for two second and bounced me over two bumps which through me off the bike. Would not stop me buying one but power delivery is something that need sorting.

Overall a fantastic bike currently being let down by the poor power delivery of the newly updated motor.

Cheers Phil

Motor Update - Today I rode non technical in eco and tour, anything technical I rode in embt but took time to ride slowly and really understand how the power responded to pedal input. Must improved no issues and got good control from it, just need to understand if you give it pressure it will respond so you have to be gentle if you don't want a power surge.
Learning curve , I'm sure I will adjust and it will be a ten out of ten.

Last edited:

ossiehere

May 30, 2020
East Sussex
Bike looks amazing ... can I ask how much it cost you to have the Kiox fitted ? Cheers
I got it as part of the deal with the bike. They fit it as it has to be programmed to the gen 4 motor allegedly. Get a bike on order you will not be disappointed, or get a demo before splashing the cash.

Baileyjd

Aug 23, 2018
Midlands.
I got it as part of the deal with the bike. They fit it as it has to be programmed to the gen 4 motor allegedly. Get a bike on order you will not be disappointed, or get a demo before splashing the cash.
I've looked at (too )many bikes and I keep on coming back to the Whyte - seeing yours with the Kiox has made my mind up ?

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I loved my Focus and it was a trail bike, the 160 is completely different and is a full on all mountain bike. You just point it and say I'm going that way.

Zebs - Very stiff, combined with the wide bars it gives you great control and the front end still really stiff and planted on the rocky downhills.
You only get pressure and rebound settings, although they feel OK more work to do to see how plush I can get them to feel.
You only get 2 spacers, which for me makes the riding position a little low, just enough room to add one more and I've got the bars at the highest point. Feels good but a pity you don't have more to play with, I understand the design so , young guys won't have an issue and I can see they are this way so you get some weight on the front end, being 60 with dodgy back I prefer a more upright position.

Frame - As you expect from a Whyte to very stiff and works well, at 5' 10" the large seems the way to go so the cockpit does not feel cramped.

Brakes - Very powerful would good modulation, they squeal like pigs when wet but soon dry out, you have to watch the power on tarmac decent and its easy to load the rear, they do the job well and no upgrades required.

Motor - I know a lot has been made of the power increase, I've not ridden this type before. At this point I'd say its the only weak point of the bike.....
Yes it delivers lots of power, which is not an issues if you are riding not technical stuff, however the weak point is how it delivers the power.
When you need to go slow and apply it gently over technical elements you can't, its feels like a bull in a china shop, alway on and in a rush, it makes it very hard to apply power as you need it. The worrying element is you can apply a slight amount of pressure and the motor will carry on running for a second or two.
I actually fell off on a muddy technical section, applied a bit of pressure and stoped peddling, motor carried on for two second and bounced me over two bumps which through me off the bike. Would not stop me buying one but power delivery is something that need sorting.

Overall a fantastic bike currently being let down by the poor power delivery of the newly updated motor.

Cheers Phil

Hi, I'm currently considering the new 150 29er and coming from the, to me at least, smooth Shimano motor I'm a bit concerned about your issues with the power delivery, I tested a Giant last year and didn't like the instant power delivery. Does the Bosch do this in all modes or just the higher ones?

Thanks.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Hi, I'm currently considering the new 150 29er and coming from the, to me at least, smooth Shimano motor I'm a bit concerned about your issues with the power delivery, I tested a Giant last year and didn't like the instant power delivery. Does the Bosch do this in all modes or just the higher ones?

Thanks.

Mine seems to do it in all modes, but that does not seem to be the feedback others are providing, I going to chat with my LBS and see if they can reload it and if the issue I'm seeing is consistent with other bikes.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Mine seems to do it in all modes, but that does not seem to be the feedback others are providing, I going to chat with my LBS and see if they can reload it and if the issue I'm seeing is consistent with other bikes.

Interesting, thanks. Hopefully yours does have a software glitch and you can get it sorted.

moseven

Aug 13, 2020
manchester

Zebs - Very stiff, combined with the wide bars it gives you great control and the front end still really stiff and planted on the rocky downhills.
You only get 2 spacers, which for me makes the riding position a little low, just enough room to add one more and I've got the bars at the highest point. Feels good but a pity you don't have more to play with, I understand the design so , young guys won't have an issue and I can see they are this way so you get some weight on the front end, being 60 with dodgy back I prefer a more upright position.

Frame - As you expect from a Whyte to very stiff and works well, at 5' 10" the large seems the way to go so the cockpit does not feel cramped.

Brakes - Very powerful would good modulation, they squeal like pigs when wet but soon dry out, you have to watch the power on tarmac decent and its easy to load the rear, they do the job well and no upgrades required.

Cheers Phil

Great write up/review Phil, better than most magazine reviews I've read - thanks for that - really a big help.

Hopefully you can make the motor work for you or adapt to the style a little. If you've ridden moto before then I can imagine it feels a bit like going from a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke - just takes a bit of adapting then all good again.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Motor Update - Today I rode non technical in eco and tour, anything technical I rode in embt but took time to ride slowly and really understand how the power responded to pedal input. Much improved no issues and got good control from it, just need to understand if you give it pressure it will respond so you have to be gentle if you don't want a power surge.
Learning curve , I'm sure I will adjust and it will be a ten out of ten.

Baileyjd

Aug 23, 2018
Midlands.
I agree , as soon as I saw the bike in the shop it was a done deal ?. Do you find the bike pretty versatile ? It may be a little too much bike for me however I am going to give all a good go.

ossiehere

May 30, 2020
East Sussex
Very versatile, brillant on the trails and brillant for just having a leisurely ride outs which we do on a Sunday mornings for coffee and a bite to eat around the South downs way, Eastbourne area. Usually do about 25 miles ish just getting lost and looking for new rides around the local area here. You will not be disappointed at all

Baileyjd

Aug 23, 2018
Midlands.
Very versatile, brillant on the trails and brillant for just having a leisurely ride outs which we do on a Sunday mornings for coffee and a bite to eat around the South downs way, Eastbourne area. Usually do about 25 miles ish just getting lost and looking for new rides around the local area here. You will not be disappointed at all
amazing ! thanks ?.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles