2020 Whyte - Shifter Cable Re-Route

Kilham5

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Mar 12, 2020
North Yorkshire
Here is my third and hopefully final shifter cable re-route on my 2020 E-150.

The original route exiting the motor casing below bottom bracket was way too vulnerable.
The first re-route, using the same hole as the brake hose was too restricted on my frame, not happy.
The second re-route via a second notch in the rear of the near-side motor cover was okay, but the tight radii of the cable from one side of the swing arm to the other created way too much resistance on the shifter cable.

Inspired by the photo's of the 2021 routing provided by N9VNS and Nakedebiker's re-route, I took a similar route on Saturday afternoon.

Pretty easy and straightforward to be honest, shifting now super clean, and so far cannot see a downside.

bike workshop.jpg

Garden workshop.
Although it's a bugger when you drop small screws in the grass :mad:
The cold beer is out of shot.

Remove bottom shroud and battery. Partially remove the near side motor cover, you can manipulate it over crank without removing.
Pull the cable outer from the shifter, down the down tube, out of the nearside motor casing, then out from the initial routing through bottom of motor case.
Unless you are replacing the outer cable, don't remove the outer from the chain stay.
If you are replacing the outer, then leave the inner in place to use as a guide to draw the outer. A pain if you don't. You will get the jist.

Remove the black painted alloy plate from above the motor casing on the drive side.
Five T40 bolts. They are torqued down petty tight, they are also very very soft, so use a good tool and take care, don't round them off.

With the plate removed you can clearly see the proposed route on the pictures below.
A bit of a fiddle to route the cable back into the hole into the down tube (below and in front of the charge point)
I fed the inner cable down through the down tube to use as a guide.

Feed all the outer cable through, back up the down tube and back out to your shifter.
Leaving the slack that you require ( I trimmed about 100mm from the original length)
Once happy, run a new inner through, reset the tension on the derailleur, put it back together and go ride.

mid job.jpg

After feeding through all the slack it looks like this (below), make sure smooth and nothing fouling.

mid job 2.jpg

Put the near side and drive side covers back, and tighten the bolts being careful not to round off or strip a thread.

The exposed shifter cable is sat beneath the chain stay, behind the chain ring.
It is well clear of the chain ring, and I can't see a scenario where this is going to be an issue.
I am happy with the amount of slack at the pivot point, and after a 30 mile ride shows no signs of chaffing or resistance due to suspension movement.
Shift quality is as crisp as it gets. (y)

Final 01.jpg

All nice and neat, and no longer vulnerable
Final 02.jpg

The only further improvement I could make, would be to drill the rear of the motor casing and route exactly as the 2021 models.
But I would not be happy drilling the frame without dropping the motor out. Might also compromise in the unlikely event of a frame warranty issue.
I will see how the cable holds up on this this routing.
It looks good enough that hopefully I won't have to bother.

Bits needed: Strictly speaking none, but I would run a new inner cable as a minimum, probably new outer as well while you are at it.
Tools needed: Set of Allen keys, set of torque bits, wrench, pliers stc. And an ebay £29 work stand helps, but not necessary.
Time: Probably took me 90 minutes being patient. Clean the bike first.

Shifting is super crisp again.
The shifter cable routes beneath the chain stay at the pivot point, well clear of the chain-ring
30 mile test yesterday, and not a sign of any chaffing at the pivot point.

I am not endorsing this mod in any way, you work on your bike at your own risk.
I like messing about with things.
If in doubt, leave well alone, or talk to your LBS.

(y)

Last edited:

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire

The original route exiting the motor casing below bottom bracket was way too vulnerable.
The first re-route, using the same hole as the brake hose was too restricted on my frame, not happy.
The second re-route via a second notch in the rear of the near-side motor cover was okay, but the tight radii of the cable from one side of the swing arm to the other created way too much resistance on the shifter cable.

Inspired by the photo's of the 2021 routing provided by N9VNS and Nakedebiker's re-route, I took a similar route on Saturday afternoon.

Pretty easy and straightforward to be honest, shifting now super clean, and so far cannot see a downside.

View attachment 37716
Garden workshop.

Remove bottom shroud and battery. Partially remove the near side motor cover, you can manipulate it over crank without removing.
Pull the cable outer from the shifter, down the down tube, out of the nearside motor casing, then out from the initial routing through bottom of motor case.
Unless you are replacing the outer cable, don't remove the outer from the chain stay.
If you are replacing the outer, then leave the inner in place to use as a guide to draw the outer. A pain if you don't. You will get the jist.

Remove the black painted alloy plate from above the motor casing on the drive side.
Five T40 bolts. They are torqued down petty tight, they are also very very soft, so use a good tool and take care, don't round them off.

With the plate removed you can clearly see the proposed route on the pictures below.
A bit of a fiddle to route the cable back into the hole into the down tube (below and in front of the charge point)

Feed all the outer cable through, back up the down tube and back out to your shifter.
Leaving the slack that you require ( I trimmed about 100mm from the original length)
Once happy, run a new inner through, reset the tension on the derailleur, put it back together and go ride.

View attachment 37717

After feeding through all the slack it looks like this (below), make sure smooth and nothing fouling.

View attachment 37718

Put the near side and drive side covers back, and tighten the bolts being careful not to round off or strip a thread.

It is well clear of the chain ring, and I can't see a scenario where this is going to be an issue.
I am happy with the amount of slack at the pivot point, and after a 30 mile ride shows no signs of chaffing or resistance due to suspension movement.

View attachment 37719

View attachment 37720

The only further improvement I could make, would be to drill the rear of the motor casing and route exactly as the 2021 models.
But I would not be happy drilling the frame without dropping the motor out. Might also compromise in the unlikely event of a frame warranty issue.

Bits needed: Strictly speaking none, but I would run a new inner cable as a minimum, probably new outer as well while you are at it.
Tools needed: Set of Allen keys, set of torque bits, wrench, pliers stc. And an ebay £29 work stand helps, but not necessary.

The shifter cable routes beneath the chain stay at the pivot point, well clear of the chain-ring

(y)
An excellent write up of what you've done, glad my posts were inspirational. I'm going to do the same about waiting before I drill the frame and wait to see one in the flesh first. Still can't wait to see the new shock extender either. I still don't get where the 2021 bike has gained 5mm more travel. The BB height is the same according to the spec sheet too. I suppose the 2mm on the chainsaws might just do it.

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
An excellent write up of what you've done, glad my posts were inspirational. I'm going to do the same about waiting before I drill the frame and wait to see one in the flesh first. Still can't wait to see the new shock extender either. I still don't get where the 2021 bike has gained 5mm more travel. The BB height is the same according to the spec sheet too. I suppose the 2mm on the chainsaws might just do it.
Haha, I've just re read what I wrote earlier. Bloody predictive text! It was meant to say chainstays?

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Before I crack on with this, do I release the inner cable at the rear mech end and pull the inner cable fully out of the outer from the shifter end? and then re-route the outer cable, or does the top nipple on the inner cable come out of the shifter mechanism (like an old brake cable) and stays in the outer cable throughout the process?

The only reason I ask, is that the rear mech end of my inner cable has been squashed against a rock and has spread, so is highly unlikely to want to be fed back through the outer, and I'll need a new inner cable which I don't have to hand.

Thanks.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Before I crack on with this, do I release the inner cable at the rear mech end and pull the inner cable fully out of the outer from the shifter end? and then re-route the outer cable, or does the top nipple on the inner cable come out of the shifter mechanism (like an old brake cable) and stays in the outer cable throughout the process?

The only reason I ask, is that the rear mech end of my inner cable has been squashed against a rock and has spread, so is highly unlikely to want to be fed back through the outer, and I'll need a new inner cable which I don't have to hand.

Thanks.
I've had a quick peep at the shifter, and yes, I need to pull the entire inner cable through the shifter, so I need to go shopping for a new inner first.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Top job Kilham5, I've just done the -reroute as per your thread. I'm very happy with the cable run and shifting, and shalln't be so concerned dropping down the granit slabs on Dartmoor now.

I take it I should use a WHYICR06 blanking grommet tofinish the job?

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
Top job Kilham5, I've just done the -reroute as per your thread. I'm very happy with the cable run and shifting, and shalln't be so concerned dropping down the granit slabs on Dartmoor now.

I take it I should use a WHYICR06 blanking grommet tofinish the job?
Yes, that looks to be the right one. My LBS had the full kit box so I could have a rummage and pick what I needed. I'm toying with the idea of using the old cable hole as an anchor point for a small stainless bash/skid plate, the other end of which would fasten where the battery cover screw goes. I'll do a mock up in aluminium first to see if it's possible.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Extra drainage! Actually it surprised me how many gaps/holes there are in the frame/around the motor, so leaving the original empty grommet isn't as bad as it sounds.. As long as the motor is watertight.

Bash plate. Now there's an idea. Are you listening Whtye? It's not an issue for my general XC riding (90%), but across the moors, it makes me wince.

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
Extra drainage! Actually it surprised me how many gaps/holes there are in the frame/around the motor, so leaving the original empty grommet isn't as bad as it sounds.. As long as the motor is watertight.

Bash plate. Now there's an idea. Are you listening Whtye? It's not an issue for my general XC riding (90%), but across the moors, it makes me wince.
I got the idea when I watched the latest Chris Akrigg video
Not sure if GT bikes come as standard with one. Knowing Chris, he's probably made it himself!

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
I got the idea when I watched the latest Chris Akrigg video
Not sure if GT bikes come as standard with one. Knowing Chris, he's probably made it himself!
This is the sort of thing I mean

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
By removing the cover can you access the cable to install a Kiox or do you need to drop the motor.
Not sure if I should try a self install or let the dealer do it.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I had a look at the 2021 180 today just to see how I want my gear cable to look. It looks great and I am going to get my 2020 RS. cable rerouted. It’s how it should be, why the hell Whyte never got it right the first time around after designing such a good bike. (y)

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
That just looks so much better than the original routing, in fact it looks like a professional job to me, when my broken thumb is healed I’m definitely going do this modification to mine, I bought everything for it a month before my accident and planned to do it when my shifting started to get sticky, now it’s my thumb that’s sticky ?

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London
Anyone know the torque for the t40 bolts off the top of their heads please?

I'll be find this mod when I need to replace the gear cable. Great mod btw.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland

View attachment 37716
Garden workshop.

View attachment 37717

View attachment 37718

View attachment 37719

View attachment 37720

(y)
Great job I need to replace cable so I’m gonna give this a go!!

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland

View attachment 37716
Garden workshop.

View attachment 37717

View attachment 37718

View attachment 37719

View attachment 37720

(y)
Taking another look at your cable reroute, was there any jointing/sealer compound between the casing joint faces. Just wanted to get things right in my head before I start the same mod on my RS-150.....aka the JCB GT....
Cheers EMF.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Routing been annoying me and miss the AXS that I’ve got in my hardtail, so order mech and reverb from Europe before import charges come back in January.
Will I be able just to pull the outers through the frame without taking the motor cover off? Looks like quite a convoluted route through there.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
The left hand cover is only two bolts to make it lose and you can leave the left crank on if you wish and just wiggle the cover back a bit to get access, and is probably the easiest bit of the job.
I'd probably pull the inner from the shifter, then remove the battery and pull the outer cable down to the motor, then pull the other half of the outer cable back through the swingarm to the motor.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
My cable de-route all went very smoothly (unlike the original cabling).
Removed the inner with the shifter, pulled outer through chainstay to bottom bracket area, then pulled entire length out from the front. No need to remove any covers or the battery. Dropper cabling all came out easily from the front as well. Result!
AXS set up was a breeze, and I now also have 170mm of dropper to play with. Temporarily plugged the cable holes with moto foam to keep mud out, but may do a neater job with some Sugru if I can be bothered.

Love how AXS works. Hideously expensive just to change gears but difficult to go back once you've tried it.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Thanks, already seen those but would mean pulling motor lead and rear brake hose out to fit or removing brake hose at lever. Too much hassle. Moto foam squeezes in quite nicely, doesn’t absorb water and is easy to remove if I need too.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Thanks, already seen those but would mean pulling motor lead and rear brake hose out to fit or removing brake hose at lever. Too much hassle. Moto foam squeezes in quite nicely, doesn’t absorb water and is easy to remove if I need too.

Yes I hadn't thought about the need to feed the brake line through.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles