tedturbine

May 8, 2019
Worthing

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Some video reviews for anyone bored interested ..

Mr Tonka .. Spoiler alert - eventually goes for the Troy Lee 7855 - sadly didn't include the Fox Titan Sport in his selections.

The cheap Chinese Fox copy I have : I like his idea of releasing the back zippers for more movement. If you have wider shoulders, the square section shoulder protections really stick out and look very bulky on the old style fox.

It really is time for a Zimm youtube channel .. there's not a single video where people actually put on all the decent body armours and throw themselves down a hill ! WTF ! Youtube is 98% people who will do anything stupid to make some money .. Why aren't people throwing themselves down hills on purpose ?? It's all Australians demanding more Bulls Milk.

@troyleedesign @foxracing @UFO Please rush me a 7855 (twin density foam), a new titan sport (foam/hard plastic) and an Ultralite (reactive foam) so I can test how much they stop Body Mush in the real world.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
And the final conclusion ..

I'm still not sold on the reactive armours .. My experience with them is they don't always go hard when you want them too (I know some of the older forum members will be saying "Uhmmm, that sounds familiar"). The fact that they're also chemically unstable, so most have a maximum life span of 3 years before they stop working or become brittle, makes them financially,maritally and ecologically unviable. The Knox Shirts and the UFO Ultralite 2.0 are the only really sensible options out there with 6-10 year life spans.

I really like the look of the new Fox Titan Armour. But it has less protection than my old Fox Titan - so it seems crazy to upgrade to something which doesn't give me as much protection.

So whilst I thought they were being lame not upgrading the foam, I think the Troy Lee 7855 gives the best all round Zimmer protection. The foam is dual layer hard/soft. It's light. It breaths well. Its not restrictive. It gives, by far, the highest coverage area of protection. You can remove bits if you don't want them. Potentially you could replace some sections with depleted uranium plates for a higher level of protection, or use explosive reactive armour panels if you wanted to make sure you never hit the same rock twice.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I had the Fox plastic armour and it's just too bulky and restricts your movement, well it did for me anyhows. I found myself not wearing it often.

I wear the Leatt for every ride, it seems to stop the low speed off's well. As for longevity of the D30 I think it will be traded in by the time that's up..

I've ridden without it twice in the 9 months I've had it, only because I forgot it.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
And the final conclusion ..

I'm still not sold on the reactive armours .. My experience with them is they don't always go hard when you want them too (I know some of the older forum members will be saying "Uhmmm, that sounds familiar"). The fact that they're also chemically unstable, so most have a maximum life span of 3 years before they stop working or become brittle, makes them financially,maritally and ecologically unviable. The Knox Shirts and the UFO Ultralite 2.0 are the only really sensible options out there with 6-10 year life spans.

I really like the look of the new Fox Titan Armour. But it has less protection than my old Fox Titan - so it seems crazy to upgrade to something which doesn't give me as much protection.

So whilst I thought they were being lame not upgrading the foam, I think the Troy Lee 7855 gives the best all round Zimmer protection. The foam is dual layer hard/soft. It's light. It breaths well. Its not restrictive. It gives, by far, the highest coverage area of protection. You can remove bits if you don't want them. Potentially you could replace some sections with depleted uranium plates for a higher level of protection, or use explosive reactive armour panels if you wanted to make sure you never hit the same rock twice.

I have owned a Troy Lee 7855 for over 6 years and can confirm it breathes very well, sometimes too well in winter.....It is super easy to throw on before a ride, fits well, not too tight and not too loose. You hardly notice it is on and this is the main reason I wear it on every single ride.

The key thing for me is it does not fall apart when washed in the washing machine. That is 6 years of washing it at least once or twice a week depending on the hot, sweaty, wet, muddy weather conditions where I am.

I added additional 3DO padding to the elbows as I went through a period of hitting the ground constantly on said elbows but it has stood the test of time very well.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have owned a Troy Lee 7855 for over 6 years and can confirm it breathes very well, sometimes too well in winter.....It is super easy to throw on before a ride, fits well, not too tight and not too loose. You hardly notice it is on and this is the main reason I wear it on every single ride.

The key thing for me is it does not fall apart when washed in the washing machine. That is 6 years of washing it at least once or twice a week depending on the hot, sweaty, wet, muddy weather conditions where I am.

I added additional 3DO padding to the elbows as I went through a period of hitting the ground constantly on said elbows but it has stood the test of time very well.

Sounds perfect ! :) Might be able to slide the fox hard plastic elbow sections in as they do seem to earn their keep.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Zim, have you come across any way to test how useful " old" 3do is? I've got a klim motorbike jacket that's coming up to its 7 th birthday - the bashing elbow against rock test indicates the 3do is still working. The only biochemical issues are organic.....most of my motorbike pressure suits used to be replaced annually....

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
In everything I've read I've not found any single conclusive way to test. As @Kiwi in Wales says. Once the material starts to break down, it normally begins to harden. Most people who'd experience failures have noted that it's become more rigid and brittle. Sometimes cracking, sometimes going as far as crumbling away. If the pads are still supple, then they are most likely still chemically stable, as intended, and will probably still react and harden as designed.

Temperature variations seem to be the main cause of accelerated failure. Though this doesn't seem to be always the case, with some people reporting quite rapid failures despite the items being stored in wardrobes and used in consistently similar temperatures. It's possible that sometimes there are "bad batches" and in other cases, like batteries, you don't know how long the pads were lying around for before they were used and how they were stored.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Some other options :

7idp Flex Body suit - similar ish to the Fox Pro baselayer but with some extra pockets for crap to injure yourself with and you can swap out the back protector for a 2l hydration bladder :

View attachment 20779

Other advantages - cheap - only $75 from Jensonusa .
Disadvantages - It's just foam & there's no way in hell that's going to stop me destroying my body.

There was a 7idp Transition base suit which was more armoured, but this was discontinued.

IXS Trigger upper body protection ..

View attachment 20780

Doesn't look like it offers more than the Knox and as far as I can ascertain, the armour is worse. Not very breathable.

Or do we just go cool and casual ... ce protected shoulders and elbows, Aramid lined, provision for CE back protector. Still looks ok when chainsawing ..

View attachment 20781

Well, I think I've answered my own question. I don't think the Leatt or the Troy Lee offer Zimmer Levels of protection and with a maximum 3 year life span on the Leatt it doesn't really offer good value for money considering it's purchase price. At least the Knox armour is rated at 6 years lifespan.

Might be time to cut up the Fox armour and get the sewing machine out !

Go the flanny option at the bottom, straight from the dairy to the bike, all day wear!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Finally got round to ordering the Troy lee 7855 ....

First impressions .... they sent me an empty box ! it's LIGHT !

Second impression .. they sent me the childs version... it's small - or at least it's stretchy .

Third impression .. it's very comfortable.

Fits really well, more body hugging than the Fox Titan. Better freedom of movement. With the Titan, I forget I've got it on after a couple of minutes. With the 7855 you can't really tell you have it on as soon as it's on, its also visually considerably less bulky.

Protection wise. The 7855 has better protection round the core and generally a higher proportional coverage area of protection. The Titan has better protection on the shoulders, triceps and the back protector comes down further in the centre to offer better coccyx protection - though on the new version they've shortened the back protector, so that would no longer apply.

The 7855 goes on over your head like a pull over, so slightly more difficult to get on and off, but then you don't have the longer term problems of failed zips and velcro that could occur with the Titan.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
What was the verdict? I’m looking at Airfit vs Troy lee atm, can’t decide!

saw these too

PenSki

Jun 4, 2020
Western Australia

saw these too

I’m sure Zim will advise you soon. He buys every armour available and falls off every ride just for our benefit.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

saw these too
Ultimately .. it all comes down to compromises and deciding what protection you want in exchange for potentially being warmer or more restricted.

Just to cover your extra two options. I almost bought the dianese, but read so many reviews in the end about poor assembly, bad fit and things not staying in place in accidents, I didn't bother.

I didn't buy the Race Face either as a friend I ride with regularly, has one. He likes it. In summer he just wears it as it is, he rides hard and never has any problems with it. For me, I think the back protector is a bit small - but it's limited to that size or the D3O pad in that style would be too hot and heavy.

So, your compromises :) .. The Troy Lee 7855 is really one of a kind. It offers good protection to a large part of the upper body. The twin density foam is surprisingly effective and for me, I've found the elbows to be good too. I think these may have been improved over time. It's also light, lighter than pretty much anything else out there. A medium weighs in at 700g. It also breaths well. All the armour pieces are vented and there's gaps inbetween. It's reasonably easy to get on and off like a sweater, a little harder when it's hot and sweaty, but no impossible act. If it's hot, just wear it as it is and you don't overheat. It's downfall is that whilst it gives good protection almost everywhere, it doesn't give Excellent protection anywhere. The chest is better than an Alpinestars Paragon Pro (which is claimed CE1 but no way is) and as mentioned the elbows seem pretty good and stay in place well in falls. The shoulders are ok for slight glances, but won't give you great protection in a big hit. A lot of the armour panels are removable and my shoulders I've swapped out for chunkier ones. Other upgrades are harder as you'd need to start cutting and sewing. The back is several armour panels, so no full back support. The bottom section of the shirt isn't armoured so the lower back/coccyx isn't well protected (to use the same item as an example - it comes down as far as a paragon pro). It's stretchy, so if you're not sure on sizes - size down.

If you decide you want more focused big crash protection rather then general all over tumble protection then the choices get harder. Ultimately, once you move to higher protection on the back/shoulders and so on, it gets heavier and hotter - so invariably, you can't armour all the other places like the 7855 as you'd be too hot and it would weigh 5kg's !

My favourite general armour at the moment is the Racer Motion Top 2. This has the latest CE1 D3O BP4 back protector which is larger, lighter and better vented than previous versions. The shoulders are great and the whole thing is really nicely thought out and put together. It's really well vented and comfortable to wear even when it's really hot.

If you want more protection, like a more substantial chest pad for instance, then the Airfit Light is a good option as it's not too hot, heavy or restrictive.

For "Best" protection for back/shoulders/elbows/chest. I think at the moment the Forcefield Pro Shirt xv is probably the way to go. Still testing and haven't had time to write a review yet. Available as a CE1 or CE2. The CE2 has CE2 shoulders, elbows, back chest. For most people I think the CE1 would be sufficient. The armour slowly moulds to your body with heat, so far, it doesn't feel too hot - though I can't heat test anymore as my heat test 32-26 degree window has gone ... It's also light. The CE2 version, with more armour coverage to chest/back/shoulders/elbows, weighs the same as a CE1 Airfit Light. They also do it in an "air" version - which is all mesh rather than semi vented fabric, or without elbows. It doesn't have any abrasion protection, like the troy lee elbows, so not sure how it would handle being torn up. It's also really stretchy.. I'm generally a Medium in body armours and sometimes a Large. I'm a Small in this and think if they made one, I could stretch an XS over me.

Just a couple of quick pictures .. D3O BP4 Back in Medium on the left . Force field CE2 Small on the right (the FF CE2 is lighter than the D3O CE1) :
ffbackout.jpg

D3O CE1 shoulders and elbows left . Forcefield CE2 right

FFbits.jpg

Most pictures make the Forcefield chest armour look like a large slab of concrete, but it forms around your body. This is after a ride where it's already started to return to flat, but you can see it's curved.

FFchestout.jpg

The CE2 armour is quite thick (chest/back about 22mm - the same as D3O CE2) - so if you want to be stealth armoured - you won't be in the forcefield unless you have a jacket over it - another compromise !

Last edited:

scooby82r

Aug 15, 2020
Manchester, England
Have a look at the Raceface Flank Core top. Back, Chest, Shoulders. You don't even know you've got it on ( Add elbow pads if needed)
I wear mine for E-Bike / Enduro Racing and Downhill.
100% movement and no restriction.
I also wash it in the washer machine after every ride and I've had it a year and it still looks and smells like new

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Okay, what are the top 3 options? I’m after the best stealth armour as I’m not planning on high risk jumps (I think) but something that will help to only hurt me when I land on rocky jumps (most our jumps at Leeds urban park are like this!) and not result in the impact breaking me!

I’m happy to hold on until the new review comes in, I liked how the racer motion 2 arms are detachable, anything that unzips is a win for me. I’ve already ordered the troy lee 7605’s, wrongly or rightly....might arrive today. Then it’s which shin/knee guards Buy best mountain bike body protection | Compare prices for best mountain bike body protection on Kelkoo someone advised this was a good brand.

cheers

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

Still sold on the 7855?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
So just to try and recap as we have some amazing feedback here but I’m very decisive (impulsive)and always need to get a result instantly like an order in ASAP ?

so:

Troy 7866 700/860g, kiwi loves it. Good upper body, elbows, breaths well. Not great on the lower back...size down

Racer motion top 2, zimms fave....D30 which sounds epic stuff, weighs 1050g, removable forearms, great option that

Leatt Airfit Light is 1250g - which will give you shorter back protection, better chest protection, but be a lot warmer as the Leatt armour pads don't breath as well. I think Rob wears this one but sounds like the other two are better....

Forcefield pro.....instantly I didn’t like it but actually the padding looks generous and should cover most body shapes really. I found three versions

Forcefield Pro Jacket X-V 2 CE2 Back Black | J&S Accessories - £119 (Rrp £179.99) This has a full length zip at the front, love that! CE2 version no chest protection?

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/imp...ld-pro-shirt-x-v-with-back-insert-grey-01.jpg £149 rrep £219

Forcefield Pro Shirt X-V 2 L2 Black | J&S Accessories £219 but no back insert?

Be nice if you could chuck in the washer without needing to remove and pieces, that would become a hassle and end up stopping me wearing it maybe, depends I guess on what smells quicker......

great options, sizing is difficult, I’m 85kg, decent shape, 6ft so not sure what works best.....

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My 2 cents is that the Leatt is a serious bit of kit, but very comfortable to wear - I have had/have numerous back protectors from motorbiking, skiing, and biking, and for me the Leatt gets the mix of protection and comfort right - I only have the torso version as I dont like full jackets. I have confidence it will take a serious hit i.e if I hit a tree stump back first, whereas a lot of the other D30 type ones are a lot thinner flimsier for want of a better word. I also really like the chest protection - when I got it I thought I would remove it, but actually I had a small off where my chest hit the stem and it deftly save me from getting injured from what would have been one of those classic minor offs that lead to a big injury.

It breathes well, though obviously if you keep both bits of the chest protection in not as well as some others with less protection in the area - I also like that its true chest protection with a single pieces, as it zips up the side, whereas a lot of the protectors have a central zip which leaves a gap where your sternum is

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think Zimmers reviews are good but he is clearly looking for ultimate protection given his crash/injury record. I the end every suit is a compromise of protection weight and breathability. I use all Leatt armour except for elbow pads which I rarely wear so went for d30 at the best price which were Scott. I use the Leatt Airfit lite short sleeved, Leatt 3df 4 shorts and Leatt 3df zip up knee pads. All have been crash tested...including one accident on a rock garden severe enough to write off my helmet. I only suffered a cut on my head a few grazes and a bruise on the front of my thigh.
About 25° is as hot as it gets in the UK and then not often and I wear all my armour on every ride. Never had problems with overheating. I wear UA vest and shorts under the armour....trail shorts and Jersey on top. Never needed to wash any of the armour. It has all been used for 18 months (knee pads about 6 months) and all as good as new.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Armour needs to be a near compression fit both for comfort and to keep pads in place if you hit the ground. So fit is important as well as design. The Leatt has an angle zip on one side of the front plus an adjustable strap which just clips together after adjusting once. That means you can get a snug fit without the struggle of a pullover design or the compromise of breaking the chest protector pad in half with a central zip.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah I find the Leatt effectively becomes unnoticeable within 5 minutes, I used it when skiing earlier in the year and was wearing it for 8 hours straight each day, doing a lot of hiking up to access couloirs etc and you totally forget its on.

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Interesting, I don’t think Zimmer was that Impressed with the leatt was he? Also which Leatt version you guys referring too....maybe I’ll see what the return policy is with amazon and order Leatt and Racer motion top 2.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Regarding chest protection, is the leatt airfit lite and motion 2 both a little lacking here? They both look similar vs the Leatt full version, might be me not seeing it very well though. Must admit I prefer the look of the Leatt and Rob shows it off pretty well.....I’ll have one last run over after a little more feedback.

The chest protector on the Leatt does this cover up okay or does it stand out under a jersey.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Regarding chest protection, is the leatt airfit lite and motion 2 both a little lacking here? They both look similar vs the Leatt full version, might be me not seeing it very well though. Must admit I prefer the look of the Leatt and Rob shows it off pretty well.....I’ll have one last run over after a little more feedback.

The chest protector on the Leatt does this cover up okay or does it stand out under a jersey.
Depends how tight you like to wear your jerseys! I always like a baggier fit so you cant see it, but if you run your jerseys more fitted it will.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles