Mission Control RELEASE OF OVER THE AIR UPDATES FOR LEVO / KENEVO GEN 2 BIKES

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@Specialized Rider Care : Please pass along that a bunch of us want the ability to select which firmware to load. This means updating to the latest as well as reverting to an earlier version.
It's pretty unusual for any item to offer the ability to offer a firmware downgrade. By it's very nature, a firmware update fixes problems and software errors which were previously not identified. They invariably improve performance in one way or another, be that power, efficiency, smoothness, longevity. To enable you to go back is to re-introduce known problems, so logically, would invalidate a warranty ?

Imagine in it's simplest form :

Hi, we've updated the firmware to stop it breaking.

Well, I changed it back and it broke and now I want a new one.

If you look at Tesla for an example. The older Model 's' cars have a reduced range at present as Tesla has locked down the voltage range to temporarily stop a reduction in battery health. They've not done this to make the cars crap for people. They've done it whilst they try to work out a way to make the batteries last longer, so rather than have them degrading whilst they work on it and then have a battery which is too far gone to be worth doing anything with, they've done it so when they do have a solution, you'll have more range and a battery which will last longer.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Understood, but manufacturers make mistakes (see "walk mode"). I always want there to be an escape button.
That wasn't a mistake from Spesh though. That was Brose introducing the change into the base level of the firmware in order to comply with the legislation. Fortunately, Spesh managed to work with Brose on that one to come up with a work around which still complied but made walk mode usable again - to some degree :) ...

Anyway, you lot don't know how easy you have it !

If I use mine it takes about 5-10 seconds before it thinks about it, then it may work, just .. or it may just stop after 10cm's. Either way, 9/10 it will have errored internally and had a nervous break down and when you do get back on the bike you have no assistance at all.

This is invariably is a bad thing, as if you've used walk mode it's because it was impossible to ride up and the next bit is probably next to impossible to ride up ! So you have to cycle the power once you've picked yourself up off the floor and finished brushing yourself off.

Not to mention that us old school 1.3 motor people don't even have over the air updates to complain about ! :)

Staff member
Subscriber
Jul 15, 2020
FORUM
7.4.2 Power reduction problems have been moved to a new specific thread:

WRUREFEREE

Apr 15, 2021
Wales
EXCITING FIRMWARE "UPDATES" (UPDATED 09/03/2021)

Thanks to the help of our beta testers once again today we released our newest motor firmware 7.4.2 for 2.1 Motors available via Mission Control Over The Air Updates. The OTA process has been further improved and firmware developed with the feedback given by our Beta testers.

To update and find out what has changed in the latest firmware install Mission Control 2.4.5, see further details below.

See previous post here regarding last 2.1 Motor firmware release and warranty extension >> warranty extension firmware update

What are over the air (OTA) updates?

Over The Air (OTA) updates will allow you to update any Levo gen 2 (MY19-21) and Kenevo gen 2 (MY20-21) TCU and 2.1 Motor to the latest available firmware using your phone, supported by IOS and Android.

How can I carry out OTA updates for my LEVO / KENEVO GEN 2?

Download and install the latest version of Mission Control, connect to your bike, navigate to > Diagnose > you will see an update icon next to "Device updates".

Enter into Device Updates and here you will see your current version of firmware and the latest available version.

To find out what has changed in this firmware version and the previous firmware versions refer to the release notes by clicking on "Find out whats new here." under the firmware table.

If you want to update then click on "Update my bike". Please read the notice information carefully before updating, also note batteries cannot be updated OTA and you will not be able to roll back to the previous firmware version.

You do not need to remember all of this as we have a video walking you through the process available on our SBCU YouTube channel.

UPDATE LINK >> (HERE)

Whilst you are there why not check out all the other helpful Mission Control videos available on our SBCU YouTube to make the most of the app and set up of your Turbo Bike.

How to track your rides in Specialized Mission Control
Managing your Turbo ebike with the Specialized Mission Control app
How to connect your Turbo ebike to Specialized Mission Control
How to tune your Turbo ebike in Specialized Mission Control
How to use Smart Control in Specialized Mission Control
How to manage your settings in Specialized Mission Control

UPDATE FAQ

What version of Mission Control do I need to update my bike?

Please update to the latest Mission Control 2.4.5 to gain from all the latest features including the firmware release notes.

Note: Version 2.4.3 onwards will also allow you to update OTA but will not show release notes.

I cannot see device updates?

Try logging out of Mission Control, shut down the app, reopen the app and log back in.

I cannot update my bike?

Try logging out of Mission Control and back in.

What if I do not want to update my bike OTA, what should I do?

If you do not want to update your bike using Mission Control please contact your retailer who will be able to update your bike to the latest firmware in-store after the 9th march.

Also find further information at Specialized Support pages >> Specialized Support - Device Updates

If you have any questions please post on this thread.

Thanks, Specialized Team! :)

New Levo Sl Expert not able to update over the air, says that need to take to retailer?

kass

Jul 12, 2020
Innsbruck
I just opened up the Mission Control app and was told there is a new firmware available but that I have to visit my dealer to have the firwmare update done. I am already on the newest firmware 7.4.2. and the changelog pop-up tells me that the newest firmware is 7.4.2. I reset the TCU and turned the bike on and off several times but that doesn't change anything.

Didn't have any problems so far with OTA updates, always worked smoothly...

Is anybody else experiencing that error? Any suggestions what to do?

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I just opened up the Mission Control app and was told there is a new firmware available but that I have to visit my dealer to have the firwmare update done. I am already on the newest firmware 7.4.2. and the changelog pop-up tells me that the newest firmware is 7.4.2. I reset the TCU and turned the bike on and off several times but that doesn't change anything.

Apparently it's an issue with latest MC, they already working on a fix: Brose 2.1/2.2 firmware update problem (Levo/Kenevo) - EMTB Forums

Sheer Thrill

Mar 28, 2021
USA

Same thing here. The thing is asking me to have it serviced by the Authorized dealer.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Hey all,

Apologies for the continued pop-up you are receiving even if you are on the latest firmware.

We have tracked down the cause and will be looking to make the fix in the next few days.

It is a configuration issue on how we identify the firmware install on a bike, this value is being recorded incorrectly and causing the pop-up, affecting bikes with TCU (blue bars) and TCU MasterMind (screen).

This pop-up is incorrectly shown, so no need to contact or go to your store for this.

We will update this thread again once a fix/update is made.

Thanks,

Specialized Team.

E759

Jan 20, 2021
West Sussex, UK
New Levo Sl Expert not able to update over the air, says that need to take to retailer?
Latest firmware updates for Turbo Levo SL released May 2021, battery 2.4.15/motor 41.7.41/display 2E.B.0, do indeed need to be performed at your Specialized dealer. SL does not yet fully embrace OTA firmware updates at this time. Had my Levo SL done at my dealer last week and it took ten minutes.

Note: Not to be confused with the Mission Control 2.6.0 issue also being discussed here which also tells you to take your bike to the dealer. You can still check your current firmware levels by going to each device (battery/motor/display) individually.

SCemtb

May 22, 2019
Santa Cruz Ca
Hey all,

Apologies for the continued pop-up you are receiving even if you are on the latest firmware.

We have tracked down the cause and will be looking to make the fix in the next few days.

It is a configuration issue on how we identify the firmware install on a bike, this value is being recorded incorrectly and causing the pop-up, affecting bikes with TCU (blue bars) and TCU MasterMind (screen).

This pop-up is incorrectly shown, so no need to contact or go to your store for this.

Thanks,

Specialized Team.
Thank for heads up - I was about to bother my local dealer thinking over air updates weren’t working :) .
Glad to hear it will be resolved soon. When will I get buy a mastermind TCU - I’m ready to give your team more $$$.

WRUREFEREE

Apr 15, 2021
Wales
Hey all,

Thanks,

Specialized Team.
Hi

I have two new Specialized Bikes Turbo Levo Pro 2022 and a Turbo SL Expert, both bikes state on the mission control app that an OTA is not available and that the bikes need to go to a dealer to have this update installed.

Today i sent both bikes in to my local dealer and had all the wheels converted to Tubeless, along with the software update.

I have checked the mission control app tonight and it is stating the same message, i have contacted my dealer who has informed me that he has connected to Specialized and updated the firmware.

My Turbo 2022 was running on firmware 7.4.2 before going to the dealer and is still on the same firmware, having read the update information this is the current version.

Now I'm really confused £40.00 to update nothing

Wish i read this FIRST

Cbmojo

May 20, 2020
USA
Hey all,

Thanks,

Specialized Team.
Hi all...any update here?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles