Reign E+ 2022

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
Hey how are you guys liking the Yamaha motor? (Still on the fence on what to buy). Yamaha vs EP8 vs Dyname? Anyone have experience with all three?

I reckon geo, price and warranty is the way to think about it, people think about these bikes like they are an iPhone how many megapixels is it??? 😆 the motor doesn’t hold your hand when you jump it!

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
Hey how are you guys liking the Yamaha motor? (Still on the fence on what to buy). Yamaha vs EP8 vs Dyname? Anyone have experience with all three?
Yamaha has been great. 1700 miles in 5 months and as smooth as ever. Ep8, wouldn't touch with barge pole. Everyone I know with them has needed warranty at least once. A mate with a Merida with one in has had 4 motors in less than 1000 miles 🤣

Decolocsta

Aug 10, 2022
Germany

+ quiet
+ Instant Power
+ Low on Rattle Sound
+ Compact

- motor gets warm
- Rattle
- cutoff at 24kmh
- Energy efficiency
- not the strongest if you push Hard

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
+ quiet
+ Instant Power
+ Low on Rattle Sound
+ Compact

- motor gets warm
- Rattle
- cutoff at 24kmh
- Energy efficiency
- not the strongest if you push Hard
What do you mean by efficiency? I have found its different to other motors. It gives you a percentage of what you put in and dependent on the mode your in. That's different to other motors and I like that. I'm 100 kilos kitted out and managed 42 miles and 3800ft climbing with 20% battery left last weekend. Considering my weight I was very impressed (625wh battery)

Decolocsta

Aug 10, 2022
Germany
What do you mean by efficiency? I have found its different to other motors. It gives you a percentage of what you put in and dependent on the mode your in. That's different to other motors and I like that. I'm 100 kilos kitted out and managed 42 miles and 3800ft climbing with 20% battery left last weekend. Considering my weight I was very impressed (625wh battery)

I mean that i found the motor to be thirsty compared to other motors.

I dont know if its the 625wh battery But the Energy consumption compared to the Power delivery seems a Little Bit high in my opinion.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
I mean that i found the motor to be thirsty compared to other motors.

I dont know if its the 625wh battery But the Energy consumption compared to the Power delivery seems a Little Bit high in my opinion.
What sort of miles and climbing are you getting? Just seems odd as I am finding the complete opposite.

Decolocsta

Aug 10, 2022
Germany
What sort of miles and climbing are you getting? Just seems odd as I am finding the complete opposite.

I rode mostly in 3. Mode and i can go around 50km and 1000 Meters of elevation.

On my Levo Mk3 in trailmode setup to 45/100 i can Go around 80-90km and easy 1500 Meters or more.

and its an 700wh battery.

my old decoy with the e8000 and a 540wh battery has the same Range as the Giant with about the same Power feel in Trail mode ( i had set it up a Bit higher than stock).

a Bosch in Tour and 625wh feels way stronger and also has more Range compared to the Giant.

and imo the old Pw-X in the older Reign had More Power and more Range.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
I rode mostly in 3. Mode and i can go around 50km and 1000 Meters of elevation.
I don't think that's bad at all. All depends on the effort you out in and rider weight. My ride was 67km and 1200m. 20% battery left but used modes one and two. That's better than the specialized and Shimano motor bikes I was riding with.

Decolocsta

Aug 10, 2022
Germany
Dont get me wrong. I like the Reign. But imo it has its flaws. Motor needs refining, the Software is junk. Bike is super Heavy, top Heavy.

But its still fun to ride.

But to much compromises for me. Thats why it has to Go.

turborrojo

Feb 3, 2022
Galicia
On my last rides I’m getting around 67-70 kms with 1600 mts climbing in modes 1 and 2.

if riden in auto mode I’m getting around 40 kms but way higher speeds. I’m 73kgs, in a reign e+1 size M (625 wh)

the motor seems to get better with use. Mine is quieter and feels smoother now than when brand new, and I’m really getting more autonomy than before. I’m arround 800kms on it.

Bike is heavy, but I’m only feeling it when lifting it to the car, or moving it off the bike in narrow spaces like in the garage. For
Me, when riding it’s much more agile than it looks, and quite fun in descends. The bike feels really planted and safe, but I feel it is quite easy putting in places and change direction quickly enough. Obviously, it’s an e-bike, and rides like that.

guile80386

Jan 23, 2022
PT
I have only tried the SyncDrive motors on my 2021 Stance E+ and the 2022 Reign E+ and I've never had a problem or felt like I needed more power. Both bikes are washed regularly at the auto station's car wash by the way. I like how "precise" the motor feels on slow, narrow technical climbs in all modes except auto which is too unpredictable for me.

The software is very (IMO) limited, however: for example, I'd like to tune the max torque for each of the power modes as I feel that would allow me to manage the range much better. The auto mode could be configurable as well - I often ride switching between off, 1 and 2 depending on the slope and I'd like the software to do that automatically (prioritizing the inclination sensor over the others and allowing me to set a max assist level).

Over the past 2200 km on the Reign E+ 1 with the 625 Wh battery I've found that I can do (96kg equipped):
  • ~1250m d+ on Auto;
  • ~1750m d+ on Mode 2;
  • ~2000-2500m d+ on Mode 1;
  • ~3000m on Mode 1 if I turn it off on flat and down sections.
All rides include some tarmac, fire roads and varied dirt single track (rocky, loose, "rooty", etc.). Distance doesn't seem to be (nowhere near) as important as elevation gain regarding range when planning a route.

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
Haha… one of the least helpful replies. I am talking motor feel, quality. I should start a new thread maybe…

The biggest difference on this bike compared to others in its category is the geo - BB height, STA- but maybe just choose a bike based on the motor not the bike package if that more your style

Mikects

Feb 27, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
Had a big crash yesterday on my 22 Reign e+ 1 at the start of Te Poaka in Rotorua - a relatively easy, wide, smooth, flowy DH run. Was unconscious for a minute or so and have no recollection of the crash or 30 minutes or so after so have no idea what happened.

Just noticed the rear shock - Fox x2 - is really squelchy so going to take it in and get it sorted (under warranty). Is here a chance this could have caused the crash ie damping issue allowing uncontrolled kick back?

Not looking for blame (government ACC covers accidents like this in NZ) just want to find a reason why I crashed on a relatively easy bit of track…. Quite happy to blame the “nut behind the wheel” but my gut feeling is it wasn’t a lack of skill issue.

Bike was running perfectly the day before and I had set a couple of PBs including one on Split Enz (5k grade 3 DH run).

Anyone else had an unexplained off and the found an issue with the rear shock?

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
Had a big crash yesterday on my 22 Reign e+ 1 at the start of Te Poaka in Rotorua - a relatively easy, wide, smooth, flowy DH run. Was unconscious for a minute or so and have no recollection of the crash or 30 minutes or so after so have no idea what happened.

Just noticed the rear shock - Fox x2 - is really squelchy so going to take it in and get it sorted (under warranty). Is here a chance this could have caused the crash ie damping issue allowing uncontrolled kick back?

Not looking for blame (government ACC covers accidents like this in NZ) just want to find a reason why I crashed on a relatively easy bit of track…. Quite happy to blame the “nut behind the wheel” but my gut feeling is it wasn’t a lack of skill issue.

Bike was running perfectly the day before and I had set a couple of PBs including one on Split Enz (5k grade 3 DH run).

Anyone else had an unexplained off and the found an issue with the rear shock?

Man I love Vegas is Lime cafe still going? My shock had the same issue with cavitation, if I were to bet I would say given it’s a easy bit of track… pedal strike! The cavitation make the shock dampen poorly but if the track is easy you are not asking to much of the shock…

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
Man I love Vegas is Lime cafe still going? My shock had the same issue with cavitation, if I were to bet I would say given it’s a easy bit of track… pedal strike! The cavitation make the shock dampen poorly but if the track is easy you are not asking to much of the shock…
Agreed. When I had the cavitation issue the first thing I noticed was that I was getting bounced off the pedals on braking bumps. Wasn’t drastic just a noticeable change that couldn’t be tuned out. Didn’t make the bike feel dangerously unpredictable. I rode it for a week with a couple of park days because I was away on a trip when it started.

i did have a very sketchy off due to a pedal strike on an easy trail just because I was on an easy trail and being chill. Not saying that’s what happened but it’s plausible.

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
Yes, X2 is known to need service at much shorter interval, than Fox has documented.
Got mine serviced after 800km, was making squish sound at that point. Added volume spacer as well, better than new 🤌

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
I had a crash on very easy trail end of June this year. Pedal stike on right sent me into boulder on left side. Wondering if the motor kicked in when pedal struck rock. Previous days were on enduro style trails with 3 foot drops and water bars etc... easy trail took me out!

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Guys I don’t know about you but it seems when crashing happens I’m usually going way too fast for my own good or I’ve lost my momentum and either go OTB or fall off to the side into oblivion. It never seems to be the bikes fault, though I may try blaming it. 😎

Lookhill

Aug 25, 2022
Netherlands
I switched the HighRoller to a BigBetty SuperGravity with Soft rubber compound, which was still too much "party in the back" for my liking. Now on a Kenda Hellcat in 2.6 with the heaviest casing (gravity), which has a nice supersoft rubber compound. While the grip is superb now in the back at around 1.5bar (i am 95kg in riding outfit), it indeed eats up battery. Used around 40% battery on 500m vertical and around 16km pusing my son up the hill. Even on eco mode with 75% I do feel the added resistance.
Last ride with my biobike friends I used up 10% for 500m vertical and paddled without motor a lot. Don't think this will be that much fun with the new back tire. The 40 tooth chainring in the front does not help with it either :D

How is the bike with the 40T chainring? Which brand did you get? Do you also need a longer chain or is it plug and play? Oh and what about the chain guide?

Miestenmies

Jun 26, 2021
FI
Hello lads, I'm also hopping on this Reign train! Im switching from 2021 Trance X E+ Pro 1 to Reign E+ 1.

Bike still making its way to Finland, but I've already ordered Fox xl mudguard and chameleonskin frame wrap set :) Next on my list is driving lights but I can't find info about lights button on Reign / Ergocontrol 3, is there way to toggle lights on/off from controls or just use original loom for power light and use lights buttons?

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
You'll ned a second RIDECONTROL ERGO 3 SG to control the lights.
But I would only do this if the lights would be mounted to the bike all the time and gets it power from there, otherwise it would make no sense anyway.

Rsdn

Apr 9, 2022
Finland
Hey guys, I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to maintenance but I'm determined to figure out this basic shock maintenance. Issue is getting the shock out of the frame for now. Service manual is of no use and couldn't find this specific Praxis e-Cadet+ model in YT either.

As I understand the crankset needs to be removed to remove the shock. Should I just screw out the non-drive side crank and tap the whole thing out with a mallet from that side? Or do I need to remove the drive side and have some kind of a special tool to loosen up the inner ring that's under the crank to get the chainring out of the way?

**Never mind, managed to get the shock's bottom bolt out by carefully wiggling with a flat headed screwdriver, didn't need to remove the chainring, although would still appreciate a guide on that.
The bottom bolt was very dry already just after a few months of riding, the middle part of this probably could use a fair bit of grease, right?

Anyone know the correct installation torque Nm for the lowest mount bolt of the shock? Everything else but that seems to be labeled. I'm assuming either 11nm or 15nm.

Last edited:

Chuggz

Dec 13, 2019
Australia
Hey guys, I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to maintenance but I'm determined to figure out this basic shock maintenance. Issue is getting the shock out of the frame for now. Service manual is of no use and couldn't find this specific Praxis e-Cadet+ model in YT either.

As I understand the crankset needs to be removed to remove the shock. Should I just screw out the non-drive side crank and tap the whole thing out with a mallet from that side? Or do I need to remove the drive side and have some kind of a special tool to loosen up the inner ring that's under the crank to get the chainring out of the way?

**Never mind, managed to get the shock's bottom bolt out by carefully wiggling with a flat headed screwdriver, didn't need to remove the chainring, although would still appreciate a guide on that.
The bottom bolt was very dry already just after a few months of riding, the middle part of this probably could use a fair bit of grease, right?

Anyone know the correct installation torque Nm for the lowest mount bolt of the shock? Everything else but that seems to be labeled. I'm assuming either 11nm or 15nm.
The shock will come out without removing crankset

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Hello,

So I almost hit 2000km on my Reign E+1 and thought I could do a writeup/review of my experiences with it so far. During the ownership I was also doing an analysis of my rides and battery consumption. Everything is also added in the writeup.

If someone finds it useful here it is, if not also fine.
🤟⚡...

Giant Reign E+1 M 2022 Impressions & Analysis

20220604_200530.jpg

1. Bike Specs
  • True Weight( Pedals, Tubeless, 625Wh Battery ): 26Kg / 57,32 lb
  • Tires Stock: Maxxis DHF 29x2,6 EXO+ MaxxTerra / HR 29x2,5 DD MaxxTerra
  • Drivetrain Stock: Shimano XT 12 Speed( 36T/10-51T )
  • Battery: 625Wh (3983g / 8,78 lb), 800Wh(4341g / 9,57 lb)
  • Odometer: 1941 km / 1206 mi
  • Motor Max Power: 682W
2. Rider Specs
  • Rider Weight: 87Kg / 192 lb + Gear ≈ 90Kg / 198 lb
  • Rider Height and Inseam : 178cm / 84cm; 5feet 10inch / 33 inch
  • My FTP: 191W
  • Riding Type: Mix of Uphill/Downhill/Trails/Parks
  • Riding Terrain Split : Asphalt 1/5, Gravel 1/5, Forrest Access Roads 1/5, Loam Trails 1/5, Parks 1/5
  • Special Remarks: Do not use assistance on flat asphalt access roads(use it for warmup)
  • Pedals: Clipless
3. Analysis Base
  • Rides Nr.: 26x ( 13 x 625Wh Battery, 13 x 800Wh Battery )
  • Time Frame.: February 22 – Septmber 22
  • Ride temperature range: 5°C - 37°C / 41°F - 99°F
  • Pressure used: Uphill 2,1 Bar / 31 Psi; Downhill 1,3 Bar / 19 Psi
4. Ride Measurments ( 26x Ride Average )
  • Average Altitude Gain: 959 m / 3146 ft
  • Average Asscent Distance: 12,7 km / 7,9 mi
  • Average Total Distance: 30,6 km / 19 mi
  • Average Battery Consumption( Mix of 625Wh/800Wh ): 46% / 325Wh
  • Average Battery Consumption: 34Wh / 100m/328ft d+
  • Average Assistance Level used: 180% (Giant terminology) = 45% (Specialized terminology)
  • Average Incline: 8%
  • Average Battery consumption per (100m/328ft d+) at different Assistance Levels at 8% incline:
50% - 17Wh

75% - 23Wh

100% - 26Wh

125% - 28Wh

150% - 30Wh

175% - 33Wh

200% - 35Wh

250% - 37Wh

300% - 39Wh

350% - 40Wh

400% - 42Wh

• Longest Rides:
  • ( 625Wh Battery; 63,5km/39,5mi; 1745m/5725ft d+; 4h30m; 6,1 % Average Incline )
  • ( 800Wh Battery; 90,4km / 56,2mi; 2108m/6916ft d+; 4h34min; 6,2 % Average Incline )
6. Ride Impresions
  • Motor gets qiueter after first 250km/150mi.
  • Motor gets hot when ambient temperatures are above 30°C/86°F.
  • Motor cuts assistance at 23,5km/h to 24,5km/h in left(50-300%) and middle(75-350%) assistance settings in the App. Motor cuts assistance at 25,5km/h to 26,5km/h in right assistance settings(100-400%) in the App. EDIT: I use my Garmin watch for the stats, and always thought the speed I see is GPS speed, but as it turned out it is not. When you pair Garmin and the bike, Garmin has a function within the bike sensor menu where you can set the wheel circumference. The speed I saw was based on a wrong wheel circumference. There is an Auto and Manual option. Default it was on Auto. It measured the wrong wheel circumference and kept doing it occasionally(got a message on the watch) and so the cutoff speed(that I saw) kept changing, when in fact it was always the same. After I set the correct circumference manually the shown cutoff speed is always the same at 25km/h.
  • In contrast to the smooth cutout of assistance can the wall effect on the limit be quite annoying as it pulses on/off if the pedaling motion is not smooth and round, usually not a problem at least for(like to spin not mash on the pedals).
  • Motor can emitt an annoying resonance sound when chain is not under full tension( high cadence, big cogs on cassette and on flat terrain). 99% of the time you don't use this gear/ride combo, so very rarely it's bothering me.
  • Motor response to pedal presures is very sensitive but in contrast the power delivery is so smooth that it easily climbs up everything I throw at it.
  • Motor assistance is present in a very broad cadence range up to 120 rpm.
  • Motor noise is present to a level that you never forget its there but its quiet enough to not be bothersome.
  • By feel for me the motor works most optimal with the 175% assistance mode. The peak efficiency of electric motors is bettwen 55% - 85%. My FTP of 191W + 175% = 525W = 77% of Max Motor Power. So if you know your FTP you can calculate at which assistance level the motor will work most efficient for you.
  • After 1941Km there is no play in any parts of the frame, motor, etc…
  • The headset area sometimes creaks a bit, but a cleanup usually solves that(I suspect the crown race that is a cut type not the pressfit type.
  • I terms of sizing I am right bettwen M and L, I decided for the M because of the fact that ebikes due to their weight are inherently stable already so a smaller/shorter frame would be benficial for tight and twisty trails. Very rarely I miss a longer frame.
  • I ride the bike in HIGH position, I think the high position fork angle is the sweet spot for everything a man can ride.
  • The charger provided is great, has a 60% charge mode, perfect for battery storage. It is a smart charger, when it reaches 100% it goes on standby.
  • One special thing I noticed on one of my last rides is that if I pedal with also pulling up on the pedals(not common on e-bikes) the motor power delivery changes in a positive way. Feels as it's way more powerfull-reccomend trying.
  • The battery efficiency follows the typical li-ion discharge curves that point to a 15 to 20% loss of energy. For my measurments I took the numbers where ai noticed extremly low efficiency, those were the first 2% and last 13% of the battery which coresponds to a 15% loss of energy(heat, chemistry, etc…) per full battery charge. In laymans terms, every li-ion battery inherently has minus 15% juice from the stated one because off losses. By my measurments the first 2% and last 13% the efficiency is extremly low, you can expect that from any emtb battery as its inherent to all li-ion batteries.
7. Comparing Giant Assistace Levels vs Specialized or other similar type Assistance Levels(say if you have a buddy with a Levo and want to compare the Assistance level).

50% = 13%

75% = 19%

100% = 25%

125% = 31%

150% = 38%

175% = 44%

200% = 50%

250% = 63%

300% = 75%

350% = 88%

400% = 100%

Keep in mind that on the Levo it's also possible to decrease max torque( not possible on the Giant).

8. Upgrades or Replacement Parts
  • Had to change the KMC chain at 1200km as it has stretched up to 1,0 level. Running an XT chain now(perfect shifting).
  • Changed and cut the bars for more compliant carbon bars with more rise.
  • Changed the FOX 38 small fender to the XL fender(best choice).
  • Running an upsidedown front Mudhugger FRX on the rear, looks a litle Moto, but works like a charm.
  • Changed the lowest grade Shimano Rotors(that were not up to the task) to Galfer 223mm/203mm E rotors. Due to the 2mm thickness of the new rotors is the caliper alignment crucial, but once you get it perfect the Shimano XT/Galfer combo works incredible.
9. What I miss:
  • A possibility to see the charge state in % during charging without unpluging the charger and connecting the App.
  • A possibility to change Assistance level in 10% increments like Specialized new TCU has, in one Yt reviev it was proven that using that way of assistance control increases range.
  • Possibility to change the assistance mode settings without the use of the App that needs data reception.
  • A display showing battery state in %(I solved this by connecting a Garmin watch with an E-bike field, that also in post in the App showes assistance levels, battery consumption in a graph.
  • A possibility to decrease max torque in the settings(it would aid for better range).
  • An ergonomic(human friendly design) remote, the butons tilted towards the thumb and with haptic or/and audio feedback, as in MTB environment it is realy not recomended to look down if your press was succsesfull or not.
  • Longer dropper post( stock a 150mm on the M size ), planning to change that to a 180mm.
10. Issues
  • The Fox X2 shock had cavitation problems from the get go, its loud on the first few compressions, then it goes quiet. Otherwise its working fine.
  • The shifting can be clunky if you shift under load(I blame the 3 pawl freehub ratchet design with a longer engagement angle).
  • Had only one occasion that the motor decreased power due to overheating(realy hot day, hard/fast/long) climb with high cadence. 》》》Update - I thought I should describe the occasion: So the power decrease lasted maybe about 10 seconds overall, happened just under the top of the mountain(biggest incline), motor was still pulling but with less power and it was back to normal in the next minute(cooldown). I finished the rest of that ride without any issues. Must remark here the climb was a bit of an casual uphill race in higher assistance modes among friends it was 7km long with an altitude gain of 800m d+ on real mtb terrain, so you can imagine the system had to work extremely hard. As an electrical engineer by education I think the implementation of this kind of power decrease software is a good thing, to so protect the motor and battery system.
11. Good Stock E-bike Parts
  • Good - Freehub is a DT Swiss 350/370 Steel design – Strong(for the cassette not to eat into the splines), easy and cheap to swap for different brand cassettes.
  • Good – Suspension FOX 38 Performance Elite Grip 2 E-Tuned, FOX X2 Performance Elite E-Tuned. The E-Tune does make a difference(like sending a regular fork for a specific tuneup).
  • Good – Dropper Post being a generic Giant branded one is working suprisingly well and smooth.
  • Good – The tires are excellent, although the rear High Roller DD is wearing fast-the smaller/mullet size and the e-torque isnt helping here (probably going to last just one season). The front DHF EXO+ is still in great condition.
  • Good – Chainring Praxis Steel E-bike specific, good wear, easy goes 2 seasons.
Bad Stock E-bike Parts
  • Bad – Disc brake rotors Shimano SLX RT-66 are completly inadequate for stoping a 26kg Ebike downhill. They were loud, heated up fast and didnt do the job.
  • Bad – KMC Chain, while it lasted it has streched to fast and to long and with it you loose the Shimano Hyperglide shifting smoothnes(could be Giant speced the bikes with it because of supply shortages).
  • Bad – Fork crown race being a simple cut design not the pressfit design. It tends to start creaking here and there and once dirt gets inside.
Update:
Overall Ride Impresions are that the bike is extremely stable at higher speed(feels planted - first what came to my mind was - like a Tank with suspension), climbs up anything because of the so smoooth power delivery and almost 78° seat tube angle, If you go smaller frame also very maneuverable(you just wonder where did all the weight go). The E-tuned Fox suspension package is incredibly plush and in contrast very supportive midtravel, I think the E-Tune is a must for ebikes. Till this time I didn't have any serious problems with the motor, battery, charger, frame, suspension...so I think I can say it's been reliable for me. Would I buy it again, Yes, what you get is really a lot of bang for buck.

20220729_213235.jpg 20220804_193218.jpg 20220804_185505.jpg 20220604_200337.jpg
20220604_182938.jpg
20220505_193016.jpg 20220604_183433.jpg
20220804_182557.jpg
20220729_191928.jpg
Screenshot_20220605-222400_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220604-225414_Connect.jpg
Screenshot_20220604-225104_Connect.jpg Screenshot_20220604-225535_Connect.jpg
If anyone didn't see it yet also attaching some snaps of the PW-X 3 guts...
Screenshot_20220716-221609_YouTube.jpg Screenshot_20220716-221725_YouTube.jpg

🤟⚡ Happy riding ⚡😉

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles