Orbea Rise , anyone seen one yet ?

Sully151

Feb 4, 2021
So Cal
I am looking at getting a Rise, and I have a couple of questions for those of you that own one.

How do you feel it compares to a FF Ebike?

How does it ride with the power off? is there a lot of drag, or does it feel weird?

Which mode do you ride in? DO you feel like you need to be in full boost to keep up with FF Ebikes?

Does it really feel more like a regular mountain bike?

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
I am looking at getting a Rise, and I have a couple of questions for those of you that own one.

How does it ride with the power off? is there a lot of drag, or does it feel weird?

Which mode do you ride in? DO you feel like you need to be in full boost to keep up with FF Ebikes?

I don't have a Rise, but do have a TranceE, and an Orbea Occam.
What is a FF bike?
Nobody rides an ebike with the power off - that's the whole reason for getting one. There isn't 'drag', but an eMTB is considerably heavier than a pedal-only, especially a CF one, so ebike riders use at least the low-power setting. For hyper-miling some may shut off for downhill, but if you're not pedaling it's not doing anything anyway.
Again, 'FF ebike'? The answer is, everybody has a different skill level on trails, and hence ride at differing speeds. In full boost you can hit top speed much faster. I'm old but relatively fast (50 years on dirtbikes), on open trails I'll ride the Trance at 16-17 where the Occam might see 12-13, just cuz you have to pedal it.
See if you can try out any competent eMTB on the trail. Most riders are hooked as soon as they try one. They are an absolute hoot. Even for a veteran highly accomplished mountain biker, it way extends range and speed. And yes, they're a bit heavier on the downhill, but the new ones, like the Rise, handle really well, and more than makes up for the speed and ease of riding uphill. The extra weight actually makes them a little more plush on the really rough sections, and more easily maintains momentum.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Can someone take a picture of the rear tire clearance on the Rise? I'm curious as to what the actual max tire size is (versus claimed).

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Nobody rides an ebike with the power off
Oooooohh... Yes they do.

1613749724871.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I was surprised at how little range he got out of both in the video, must have been proper cold and poor conditions,
In Wales?
:eek:

Also remember how much Steve likes his natural technical poor condition climbs and grippy tyre set-up. This makes a massive difference to range over fireroad climbing.

Gustesta

Jul 26, 2020
Utah

Gustavo Testa
j6rtRxkSJeY.png

Mike Yin
I'm not the best one to answer (despite having a Bullit and an Orbea). I have been riding them on Bearclaw Poppy in Saint George, UT, which isn't very gnarly. I can tell the following: the bullit has a more comfortable ride; both ride really well at the trail - excellent bikes; Orbea, despite having less torque, has plenty of power for everything; battery of the orbea isn't bad at all (but I bought the range extender - March ETA); Bullit seems to have a little more traction; Orbea feels much lighter than the Bullit; Orbea doesn't have a lot of drag when the motor is off (actually it feels like ECO mode); Orbea, always use Boost mode maxed out and I can keep up with the regular ebikes; I haven't rode a regular mountain bike for years, but as far as I remember the Orbea feel is very close. If I had to choose just one of them, I'd go for the Orbea. Let me know if you need any other data.

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London

Lighter and more nimble, rewards more rider input. More fun in terms of picking up trail features but less forgiving than a FF which is a tad more stable. Power is less but not as much as you might think once you get used to the fact that you have to be busy ie picking lines and correct gear rather than relying on pure torque.
How does it ride with the power off? is there a lot of drag, or does it feel weird? Still plenty of drag - it’s still an Ebike but if you run out of juice you could pedal home albeit slowly without so much of that abandoned feel on a heavy FF

Which mode do you ride in? DO you feel like you need to be in full boost to keep up with FF Ebikes? To have any chance you must max out the settings and ride in boost. Up hill you can do around 80-85% of what a FF can do

Does it really feel more like a regular mountain bike? No but then it also doesn’t feel like a FF. These lightweight eebs are a category in themselves really. I’m coming off a FF and the compromise is probably less than I’d have thought. If coming from analogue, the power will seem more than adequate

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
Tyre clearance with the standard Rekon , just got in from a ride , hope it gives you some idea .

View attachment 53479

View attachment 53480

View attachment 53481
Is that Invisiframe you got on there ? I’ve just done mine and god it was hell. I did a couple of cut outs each day over a period of ten days to dilute the misery. Everything’s went on apart from back of seat tube which I abandoned in frustration. The infill bit on the top tube on one side didn’t quite fit but apart from that it looks ok.
You can afford to be quite rough with the larger sections ie pulling previously adhered bits back to reset which you see previously invisible bubbles in better light. What a pain though. Darker colours show any errors so no hiding place.

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Is that Invisiframe you got on there ? I’ve just done mine and god it was hell. I did a couple of cut outs each day over a period of ten days to dilute the misery. Everything’s went on apart from back of seat tube which I abandoned in frustration. The infill bit on the top tube on one side didn’t quite fit but apart from that it looks ok.
You can afford to be quite rough with the larger sections ie pulling previously adhered bits back to reset which you see previously invisible bubbles in better light. What a pain though. Darker colours show any errors so no hiding place.
Yes , well spotted lol . You definitely have to be patient when fitting it , I'm fairly familiar with fitting graphics to aircraft so didn't find it too bad . I had same issue with infill piece on the shock bolt side of top tube but think I stretched the top tube piece a little , I just trimmed it with a scalpel .

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
Yes , well spotted lol . You definitely have to be patient when fitting it , I'm fairly familiar with fitting graphics to aircraft so didn't find it too bad . I had same issue with infill piece on the shock bolt side of top tube but think I stretched the top tube piece a little , I just trimmed it with a scalpel .
Also not sure why they didn’t include full length sections for the inside of the stays where you get most kick up from trail debris. Despite the grief, the process is strangely addictive ??

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Also not sure why they didn’t include full length sections for the inside of the stays where you get most kick up from trail debris. Despite the grief, the process is strangely addictive ??
I get what your saying , nice to know it's all protected . I also fitted heli tape to the front forks .

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA

First off, what the heck is an FF Ebike?? I've never understood that term. FF = flatulent ferret? fat floozey?
FP I could understand for Full Power, but FF???
Someone please enlighten me.
I do ride with the power off at rare times. It rides great. It's a bit heavier than my SC 5010, but still rides pretty good no power. I don't feel any drag from the motor at all. Downhills with the power off are no different than my non-Ebike. Sometimes I get going so fast that I think the power is still on.
Keeping up with a full power Ebike is all about assist levels. My son has an Orbea Wild and if I have mine in profile 2 and we're both riding on Eco, I can keep up just fine even though he's 30 years younger than me. If he had his on boost, I'm sure I'd struggle even with mine on boost, but I've found that full power Ebikes on boost are pretty hard to ride on any kind of technical trail since the power is quite high and comes on a bit abruptly. The Rise has very smooth power delivery.
The Rise to me feels much more like a regular MTB due to the lighter weight and the smooth power on and off. For me, the Rise has plenty of power and battery range and the smooth power delivery and ride is awesome. Travel and aggressiveness is obviously not the same as compared to a Wild or an SC Bullit which are both longer travel and designed for more aggressive riding, also heavier and need more assist for climbing. All awesome bikes, just different.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
First off, what the heck is an FF Ebike?? I've never understood that term. FF = flatulent ferret? fat floozey?
FP I could understand for Full Power, but FF???
Someone please enlighten me.
I do ride with the power off at rare times. It rides great. It's a bit heavier than my SC 5010, but still rides pretty good no power. I don't feel any drag from the motor at all. Downhills with the power off are no different than my non-Ebike. Sometimes I get going so fast that I think the power is still on.
Keeping up with a full power Ebike is all about assist levels. My son has an Orbea Wild and if I have mine in profile 2 and we're both riding on Eco, I can keep up just fine even though he's 30 years younger than me. If he had his on boost, I'm sure I'd struggle even with mine on boost, but I've found that full power Ebikes on boost are pretty hard to ride on any kind of technical trail since the power is quite high and comes on a bit abruptly. The Rise has very smooth power delivery.
The Rise to me feels much more like a regular MTB due to the lighter weight and the smooth power on and off. For me, the Rise has plenty of power and battery range and the smooth power delivery and ride is awesome. Travel and aggressiveness is obviously not the same as compared to a Wild or an SC Bullit which are both longer travel and designed for more aggressive riding, also heavier and need more assist for climbing. All awesome bikes, just different.
Full Fat.

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
Full Fat.

But they are not fat bikes with 4" tires. What we are talking about is normal mountain bikes with a motor. Poor nomenclature.
I hereby officially propose we call them FP Ebikes for Full Power. FP could also stand for "Feel the Power". Let's Rise up and make the change!!
Like how I capitalized Rise in there?? Pun intended.
So let it be written, so let it be done. They are now called FP Ebikes. We can be trend setters.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
But they are not fat bikes with 4" tires. What we are talking about is normal mountain bikes with a motor. Poor nomenclature.
I hereby officially propose we call them FP Ebikes for Full Power. FP could also stand for "Feel the Power". Let's Rise up and make the change!!
So let it be written, so let it be done. They are now called FP Ebikes. We can be trend setters.

I agree - but someone put a poll up a few months ago and it started this terminology. Skinny Full Fat, MegaPower. Ha ha. FP it is.

Reactions: jka

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia

FP bike = Foolish Pedal bike . Or worse still, FloPy bikes :unsure:

Can't we just use E or e depending on how enhanced the bike is?

You could even have multiple modes e(con) , E(asy) , and E (xciting)

I can hear Zim sniggering already about little e getting a rise in e( rotic) mode and becoming hard core

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Still available at the old price at one UK shop online ( inc in XL when i looked earlier)
So far it’s only on the Orbea site. My LBS removed the M10 for now, but I have it back ordered at the original pricing. They also show all the other models in various colors arrival date 3-1 in several sizes.

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
To what extent have you guys changed the standard treads on your Rises ? I’ve put a DHR II on the back but kept the Dissector on the front. Im finding it just a tad twitchy up front so wondering whether to put on a DHF or something else...any thoughts ? ?

dlgis

Jan 23, 2021
UK
To what extent have you guys changed the standard treads on your Rises ? I’ve put a DHR II on the back but kept the Dissector on the front. Im finding it just a tad twitchy up front so wondering whether to put on a DHF or something else...any thoughts ? ?
Dissector up front, DHR2 rear. No problems, the occasional twitch as you call it when cornering and as it transfers grip to the side sipes ? generally finding i need to load the front suspension more than my normal mountain bike with my body weight forward a little bit more.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I’d run them the other way round ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles