Orbea Rise , anyone seen one yet ?

dlgis

Jan 23, 2021
UK
My analog/acoustic weight is 153lbs, my guess all geared up would be 160lbs with a water bottle too.

The documented suggestions I found for 150-160 lbs:
~78psi
LSR: 7 Clicks
HSR: 6 Clicks
HSC: 5 Clicks
LSC: 10 Clicks

The ShockWiz setting were
66-68 PSI
LSR 1
HSR 5
HSC 3
LSC 5

An identical weight to me. I’m more or less using the recommended settings and will try your shockwiz settings and Rick’s suggestions after the snow and ice melt next week.?

Cdale

Jan 25, 2021
California, US
An identical weight to me. I’m more or less using the recommended settings and will try your shockwiz settings and Rick’s suggestions after the snow and ice melt next week.?

Just in case you want to try here is my DP X2 settings
182 PSI
Rebound 7
Compression 3

I'm still in the process of riding and tuning using the shockwiz, but these setting made the bike feel so much better. Good luck and stay warm :)

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
You guys are a bunch of lightweights. :) I'm pushing about 196 lbs with my gear, hydration pack and water. I'm running 240 in the rear shock to get 30% sag.

Ice and Snow?!?! Yuck! Not to rub it in guys, but here's our weather for today.
69°Feels Like
6:32 am
5:17 pm
High / Low
70°/46°
Wind
1 mph
Humidity
20%
Dew Point
26°
Pressure
29.89 in
UV Index
3 of 10
Visibility
10 mi

dlgis

Jan 23, 2021
UK
You guys are a bunch of lightweights. :) I'm pushing about 196 lbs with my gear, hydration pack and water. I'm running 240 in the rear shock to get 30% sag.

Ice and Snow?!?! Yuck! Not to rub it in guys, but here's our weather for today.
69°Feels Like
6:32 am
5:17 pm
High / Low
70°/46°
Wind

That would be summer here. It’s due to be -10c (14F) tonight in Kent, Uk. ?

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
Well -10C is a warm day here in Calgary. Right now it's -27C going down to -35C overnight. ???

You guys are a lot tougher than me. Human beings are not meant to live in those conditions. I lived in Norway for a few years so I know about cold, but even there it rarely got that cold. I prefer the nice warm desert. I'm going to ride this evening in shorts and a short sleeved jersey. Of course in the summer it's a different story. 3 months of +40C (and higher) and not even getting below +30C at night. I'd probably prefer to ride naked then, but that's frowned upon and an image you definitely don't want stuck in your brain.

Last edited:

dlgis

Jan 23, 2021
UK
My analog/acoustic weight is 153lbs, my guess all geared up would be 160lbs with a water bottle too.

The documented suggestions I found for 150-160 lbs:
~78psi
LSR: 7 Clicks
HSR: 6 Clicks
HSC: 5 Clicks
LSC: 10 Clicks

The ShockWiz setting were
66-68 PSI
LSR 1
HSR 5
HSC 3
LSC 5

Hi, just to clarify, are your settings from fully closed/clockwise?

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
You guys are a lot tougher than me. Human beings are not meant to live in those conditions. I lived in Norway for a few years so I know about cold, but even there it rarely got that cold. I prefer the nice warm desert. I'm going to ride this evening in shorts and a short sleeved jersey. Of course in the summer it's a different story. 3 months of +40C (and higher) and not even getting below +30C at night. I'd probably prefer to ride naked then, but that's frowned upon and an image you definitely don't want stuck in your brain.
3 months of +40C (and higher) Uuh! As you said - Human beings are not meant to live in those conditions :)

I was one summer riding at Utah. Had to be up in the mountains at 7 in the morning and stop driving at 12 noon. Then the temperature was about +40 C. I always left a gallon of water can in the car so I could wash my self. Even that was super hot.

Gustesta

Jul 26, 2020
Utah
3 months of +40C (and higher) Uuh! As you said - Human beings are not meant to live in those conditions :)

I was one summer riding at Utah. Had to be up in the mountains at 7 in the morning and stop driving at 12 noon. Then the temperature was about +40 C. I always left a gallon of water can in the car so I could wash my self. Even that was super hot.
I live in Utah and I know how you felt LOL. During the summer early morning is the only possible time for mountain biking

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
I live in Utah and I know how you felt LOL. During the summer early morning is the only possible time for mountain biking

Yeah. Summer here is brutal. I agree that humans aren't meant to live in these conditions either. That's why God gave us air conditioning. I live in Vegas and I'm used to it, but that doesn't mean I like it. I ride early mornings if I can, but often I'll go for a ride in the early evening after work when it's still 110F (43C). I can't do it in the middle of the day when the sun is straight overhead though. My wife rides with her "ice necklace" that she made. It's a cloth tube that she loads up with ice and puts around her neck. It melts as she rides and the ice and water keep her cool. I just load up my hydration pack with lots of ice a some water and go for it. Not everyone can take the heat though. Like I said , kind of brutal. Night rides after dark are great though. It drops all the way down to 100F. o_O?

Gustesta

Jul 26, 2020
Utah
Yeah. Summer here is brutal. I agree that humans aren't meant to live in these conditions either. That's why God gave us air conditioning. I live in Vegas and I'm used to it, but that doesn't mean I like it. I ride early mornings if I can, but often I'll go for a ride in the early evening after work when it's still 110F (43C). I can't do it in the middle of the day when the sun is straight overhead though. My wife rides with her "ice necklace" that she made. It's a cloth tube that she loads up with ice and puts around her neck. It melts as she rides and the ice and water keep her cool. I just load up my hydration pack with lots of ice a some water and go for it. Not everyone can take the heat though. Like I said , kind of brutal. Night rides after dark are great though. It drops all the way down to 100F. o_O?
Liked the part of your comment that 100F feels nice at night :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I forgot to tell you that luckily the Utah Brewery beer was cold :)

brendand

Dec 19, 2020
Calgary, Canada

I was up for a Rise M10 from a bike shop in Utah to ship up here to Calgary in March. But today they called me and said that Orbea had cancelled the order :(

I don't know why it was cancelled. But I'm really disappointed. I do have another one on order from a shop up here, but it's not scheduled to arrive until July. I hope Orbea doesn't cancel that one too. I ordered it in October. But I was trying to source one earlier and the shop in Utah said they had some coming in March. But I guess that fell through :(

Also I don't like riding when it's any hotter than about 26 C. I just lose all my energy with that heat. I much prefer riding 17C - 23C. I don't know how you guys ride when it's 40C.

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
I was up for a Rise M10 from a bike shop in Utah to ship up here to Calgary in March. But today they called me and said that Orbea had cancelled the order :(

I don't know why it was cancelled. But I'm really disappointed. I do have another one on order from a shop up here, but it's not scheduled to arrive until July. I hope Orbea doesn't cancel that one too. I ordered it in October. But I was trying to source one earlier and the shop in Utah said they had some coming in March. But I guess that fell through :(

Also I don't like riding when it's any hotter than about 26 C. I just lose all my energy with that heat. I much prefer riding 17C - 23C. I don't know how you guys ride when it's 40C.
Sorry to hear that mate

Gustesta

Jul 26, 2020
Utah

That's sad to hear. I ended up buying mine on Jenson USA. They had a Large left. You'll love the bike (it's worth the wait). I agree with you: personally I'm not able to rinde under 40c any more. When I was younger... yes... but now... NOT LOL

brendand

Dec 19, 2020
Calgary, Canada
That's sad to hear. I ended up buying mine on Jenson USA. They had a Large left. You'll love the bike (it's worth the wait). I agree with you: personally I'm not able to rinde under 40c any more. When I was younger... yes... but now... NOT LOL

I tried to order from Jensen when they had stock. But they won't ship to Canada. It said "the manufacturer does not allow this item to be shipped to Canada".

sendler2112

Jan 2, 2021
Syracuse, NY USA
Orbea Rise measurements in size medium. It is a bit forward of the crank. Low in the front like an XC racer. The seat rails are at 27"/ 686mm for me in this photo with 95mm extension to the insertion line still in the tube. The set back to the seat rails at this extension is 165mm. All of my other bikes have the seat clamp set back from vertical of the crank measurement more like 178mm. And this is with longer 175mm crank arms compared to the 165's on the Rise. The motor is fantastic. Very quick to start and stop and sensitive to pedaling input.
Rise measurements.jpg

measurements Camber.jpg

measurements HAL boost 43.jpg

Gardcol

Dec 30, 2020
Aberdeen
I tried to order from Jensen when they had stock. But they won't ship to Canada. It said "the manufacturer does not allow this item to be shipped to Canada".
I feel for you. Unbelievably mine came forward by 5 months even though it was a MyO special order. Should have been June delivery but came this week! Originally I had a Wild on order for March delivery but the day the Rise came out I told the shop to cancel the Wild and get me a Rise as it seemed perfect. They kindly kept both on order as told me they could cancel right up to the paint job so I checked on dates each week and they moved around a bit. I was almost going to cancel the Rise as the thought of missing Spring riding was too much for me as my friend is getting a Bullit at end of February and other guys got already but then suddenly the Rise jumped forward. I’ll be interested to see how I get on riding with the full fats but I just don’t like the feel of the 23kg bikes or the look having tested a few. I ride a lot on my own in the summer too as in Scotland it’s light until 10-11pm so don’t have to keep up with anyone. I’m sure I’d be happy with either bike but 90% of the natural enduro stuff here doesn’t need a big bike so think the Rise will be perfect. On the first 50hr fork service I’m going to put a 160mm air shaft in as my current bike has a 160mm fork and I do use it all on a couple of big slabs. That will also make the HTA 65deg and same as current Canyon which handles everything and is a 27.5 so the Rise should be even more capable with 29er wheels.

0E41D14E-F03D-4355-903A-512D18185A82.jpeg

02C9C7DC-7101-457D-BDF2-6CD0C39BC722.jpeg

Gustesta

Jul 26, 2020
Utah
I feel for you. Unbelievably mine came forward by 5 months even though it was a MyO special order. Should have been June delivery but came this week! Originally I had a Wild on order for March delivery but the day the Rise came out I told the shop to cancel the Wild and get me a Rise as it seemed perfect. They kindly kept both on order as told me they could cancel right up to the paint job so I checked on dates each week and they moved around a bit. I was almost going to cancel the Rise as the thought of missing Spring riding was too much for me as my friend is getting a Bullit at end of February and other guys got already but then suddenly the Rise jumped forward. I’ll be interested to see how I get on riding with the full fats but I just don’t like the feel of the 23kg bikes or the look having tested a few. I ride a lot on my own in the summer too as in Scotland it’s light until 10-11pm so don’t have to keep up with anyone. I’m sure I’d be happy with either bike but 90% of the natural enduro stuff here doesn’t need a big bike so think the Rise will be perfect. On the first 50hr fork service I’m going to put a 160mm air shaft in as my current bike has a 160mm fork and I do use it all on a couple of big slabs. That will also make the HTA 65deg and same as current Canyon which handles everything and is a 27.5 so the Rise should be even more capable with 29er wheels.

View attachment 52875

View attachment 52876
I've got a Rise M10 and a 2021 Santa Cruz Bullit CC S. Both are amazing. If I had to choose one of them, I'd go for the Rise. And, by the way, on Profile 2 (boost maxed out) the Rise is very powerful and fast (keeps up with the bullit).

Gardcol

Dec 30, 2020
Aberdeen
I've got a Rise M10 and a 2021 Santa Cruz Bullit CC S. Both are amazing. If I had to choose one of them, I'd go for the Rise. And, by the way, on Profile 2 (boost maxed out) the Rise is very powerful and fast (keeps up with the bullit).
Really good to know thanks. I’m hoping it’s as capable as the Occam as the reviews on it show its good for some pretty hard riding. My local trails are all natural and more enduro than trail I.e. a lot of rock and the odd very steep slab but it’s all tight/techy and not fast so think the Rise will be well suited.

Gustesta

Jul 26, 2020
Utah
Is there An app for your bike that’ll show rider input? We don’t know if you’re inputting 220 watts from your legs and your bike is doing 300. Would help to see comparisons.
The closest the RS Tool box gets to that is the "ebike assist" data. The video I reposted sums up very well everything I've been experiencing with my bikes. That conclusion is accurate. I have an Orbea Rise M10 (EP8RS) and a 2021 Santa Cruz Bullit (EP8). Battery difference on riding them, on the same trail and conditions, is not that big (15% besides 360Wh vs 630Wh). But the difference on heart rate beat is around 10 per minute (higher on the Orbea).

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I was surprised at how little range he got out of both in the video, must have been proper cold and poor conditions, but not that surprised the Orbea had the edge - be interesting to see how far it can go with the extender.

I recently did a similar ride on my Vitus with 504wh battery, prob 2500ft elevation but 21 miles, similar conditions all in trail mode.

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Be interested to know what profile they were both in , obviously affects the end result . For me it's been how the Rise feels v my previous normal MTB , I've never ridden a full power one . Something I've been wondering is when you look at max power in trail mode on profile 2 it isn't set at 60nm . Am I right in thinking trail mode will vary assistance depending on your input , much like emtb mode etc ? So why not set it at max power , it won't use it until your putting in the effort . Sorry if I'm being thick but I am new to this lol .
Been a bit frustrated the weather has been the way it has but I've no doubt it would have been really hard going on my old bike in comparison . Heart rate been just as high but I'm doing average speeds in mud etc that I did in the dry previous .
Ok full power is faster and less effort , no question , just depends what you want and what suits your circumstances .

Gustesta

Jul 26, 2020
Utah
Be interested to know what profile they were both in , obviously affects the end result . For me it's been how the Rise feels v my previous normal MTB , I've never ridden a full power one . Something I've been wondering is when you look at max power in trail mode on profile 2 it isn't set at 60nm . Am I right in thinking trail mode will vary assistance depending on your input , much like emtb mode etc ? So why not set it at max power , it won't use it until your putting in the effort . Sorry if I'm being thick but I am new to this lol .
Been a bit frustrated the weather has been the way it has but I've no doubt it would have been really hard going on my old bike in comparison . Heart rate been just as high but I'm doing average speeds in mud etc that I did in the dry previous .
Ok full power is faster and less effort , no question , just depends what you want and what suits your circumstances .
I tried my Orbea on Profile 2, boost mode dials maxed out (I used the Etube app for that) and did the same with my Bullit (EP8 motor, 630wh battery, boost mode maxed out). The Bullit, for the same trail, had 15% more range than the Orbea (both on boost maxed out). As you can see, the Orbea does an excellent job with its EP8 Rs. We're talking about 360wh vs 630wh.

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
I tried my Orbea on Profile 2, boost mode dials maxed out (I used the Etube app for that) and did the same with my Bullit (EP8 motor, 630wh battery, boost mode maxed out). The Bullit, for the same trail, had 15% more range than the Orbea (both on boost maxed out). As you can see, the Orbea does an excellent job with its EP8 Rs. We're talking about 360wh vs 630wh.

The Bullit is max power at 85Nm vs the Rise at 60Nm, correct? If your puling 85Nm on the Bullit compared to 60Nm on the Rise, that would make some sense that they were fairly close on range. I assume the Bullit felt like it had a lot more assist than the Rise, correct? Either way, that's a pretty impressive result. With both using max power there was only 15% more range for the Bullit that has about 75% more battery capacity. I guess the other variable is, did you ride at the same speed on both runs, ie. was your input more or less with one bike vs the other which would use more or less motor power and battery capacity. No real way to measure that I assume, still, Orbea did it well with battery management. Too many variable to really do a true comparison...but who cares. I love my Rise and have gobs of fun riding it.

OK, nest test: Set your Bullit at max power of 60Nm with the app and then run the same test. Then after that, ride the same trail backwards to see if the reuslts are the same then do the same test over again making sure you're riding in the exact same gear with each bike on each section as well as use a wind gauge to make sure there is no difference in wind assist.o_O

Last edited:

Gustesta

Jul 26, 2020
Utah
The Bullit is max power at 85Nm vs the Rise at 60Nm, correct? If your puling 85Nm on the Bullit compared to 60Nm on the Rise, that would make some sense that they were fairly close on range. I assume the Bullit felt like it had a lot more assist than the Rise, correct? Either way, that's a pretty impressive result. With both using max power there was only 15% more range for the Bullit that has about 75% more battery capacity. I guess the other variable is, did you ride at the same speed on both runs, ie. was your input more or less with one bike vs the other which would use more or less motor power and battery capacity. No real way to measure that I assume, still, Orbea did it well with battery management. Too many variable to really do a true comparison...but who cares. I love my Rise and have gobs of fun riding it.

OK, nest test: Set your Bullit at max power of 60Nm with the app and then run the same test. Then after that, ride the same trail backwards to see if the reuslts are the same then do the same test over again making sure you're riding in the exact same gear with each bike on each section as well as use a wind gauge to make sure there is no difference in wind assist difference.o_O
Indeed it's really hard to do a perfect test for that. They both ended the course at approximately the same time. I had to put more effort on the Rise, but it isn't really noticeable. Rise manages really well the power.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles