Old blokes who should know better.....

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Ps. It shouldn't need saying but please please be careful and ride within your limits.
This really isn't the time to be taking risks that could stretch our health/emergency services.

#StaysafeBro

cheers for all the help there mate, really appreciate it. wife says the same thing and yea, ill be careful !
the last big ramp I made, I am planning on putting another pallet in the tabletop to make it longer, is that what you mean about the ramps or is it more like the angle of the landing thats important..
I didnt get that game yet, I did look at it and was all like 'pfft, I aint paying 3 quid' cos I never pay for anything that goes on my phone... thats how tight I am with that stuff.. but if you reckon its that good, ill do it

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Not watched the vid yet, but saw this :

Definitely looks like typical man measurement to get over 6 inches ?

Gap.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I am planning on putting another pallet in the tabletop to make it longer, is that what you mean about the ramps or is it more like the angle of the landing thats important..
it's going to take a while to explain.

but... basically. if you think about table tops and split them into take off, top and landing
for a standard table you want the highest point of your take off and landing to be at the same height. and you want your take off at an angle that will natuarally place your front wheel at the top of the landing ramp in a smooth arc (parabola) and the landing to match that angle of trajectory. are you still with me?
the distance inbetween take off and landing (top) is governed by the speedyou hit it and angle of the take off. (and requires guesstimate/trial and error with HSS guidance ;) )
to me you are building your take offs with too small an arc for a beginner on an FS mtb AND your landings both too low AND too short (although i see you're lengthening them nicely.

it gets more complicated when you start building step downs with landings (which is basically what your path gap will be if you build it the way you were intending. I get the feeling you want to learn to jump properly rather than drop, or do big rear wheel landers like Evel Kneivel. Absolute Legend but technically a clueless idiot
;)

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
ok @Gary so we can actually do some maths to get the table distances right...

I get the feeling you want to learn to jump properly rather than drop

yea, I wanna go to a bike park and enjoy myself more than shit myself.. I'm not too bad at drops so far but ive never done more than a few feet to flat.. I see that the drops in most bike parks seem to be at speed with a down ramp.. yea I wanna learn to jump properly..

the radius of the ramps so far have been

7' - terrible
9' - not bad, this was the first 'step up'
10' - the latest ramp
and the next one looks good at 13'
do you have a suggestion for radius?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
while you're in the concentration camp spend time learning to bunny hop high but land smoothly and short manuals. both help loads with control in the air and consistent take offs. Don't try to be Steve McQueen until you've spent 100hrs in the cooler listening to a Scotsman telling you stories of all the burds he's had

or something..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
OK .. watched the video .. Smart :) Nice path digging, did you cheat and use tools again ? :)

Like everyone in this time of crisis .. I'm going to agree with @Gary :)

I think you'd surprise yourself how far you'd go on that initial bump ! I checked a small, maybe 4 inch rock, on my zimmer track and it was giving me 2 meters of gap at semi reasonable speed (with me jumping it) - braking for the bend after being the bigger issue - so you might need to take that into account.

Why don't you stick 3 pallets on the path and lay the ply over the gap with the pallets supporting the middle .. then you can just ride over it and see how it feels and then find the speed where you either clear, or if the take off needs the earth shape adjusting so it doesn't hit so hard if it does ?

And find a sponsor .. like tetleys or PG if you're going to walk around with a brew. There's no point being an apocalypse internet sensation if you're not going to milk it ! :);):love:

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
And find a sponsor

I can afford tea bags but one of my gopro batteries died earlier and its an antique gopro hero 2 so thought I would check out how much a hero 7 would be..... ouch...
hey gopro, wanna 'hook me up' :D :D
I even dug out an old hand held digital video recorder and the battery was shagged on that as well... sigh

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
There are deals around. if you don't need the newest stabilisation or removable battery hero 7 whites are £120ish from currys just now.
I have a hero 7 black and can only wish i could use/edit as well as you can your hero 2.

cheers mate, to be honest I am really lazy with editing and just use the easy features of iMovie..
I was after the black following a decent bit of geeky researching and watching @Rob Hancill's video on gopro's, I wanna film some trails in the future as well so the stabilization is a great feature.. not bothered about the 4K though, I dont have 'proper' internet and have to use 4G mobile network which is limited on the amount I can up and download... uploading vids takes loads of bandwidth as it is :D

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
its not available :( iphone
Ah... sorry mate.
I have it from ages ago along with the sequels. interestingly titled Pumped BMX 2 and Pumped BMX 3 on android and Pumped BMX+ on PS3 and PS4
the sequels still have the same in game mechanics/physics but I just played Pumped BMX 3 and the learning curve is a lot higher than the original game so unless you're a gamer (I can tell you're not) it'd probably just frustrate you. shame really as those games honestly do mimick the effects pumping, timing, boosting and smoothly landing at the top of landing transitions perfectly and punish you (you won't make the next jump) if you don't have your timing and position correct..

Pumped BMX on playstation is actually the easiest to control having an actual controller in your hand rather than the vaguenes of pressing a touch screen and rotating a phone.
I guess you don't have a Playstation?
It's £7.99 in the the playstation store.
I guess that's still about 18 pints of Tetleys, a kebab and chips for the lass at the bus shelter in Yorkshire though ;)
Pumped BMX +

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just took the dog for a plod and checked my "bump" .. So "popping" off the rock on the crappy track, just paced it out, and amazingly you can go 10ft from a tiny bump ! Did it three times when quickly trying out the track (that's on the "uplift" section). Landings all look to be within a few cm's of each other and strava (whilst not normally that accurate) shows my take off speed as 26kph on all three passes. Please excuse the left handed mouse action ... :) and my Stylised "Dobby" smiley at the bottom ..

popink.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My garmin has a feature that tells you hom much airtime you are getting, in seconds and height. it tells you speed too but I don't think distance. I haven't really looked at it. Stupid thing was beeping like mental when riding a jumpline when I first used it, so I pulled over thinking it had spazzed out only to read a stupid notification message saying "GREAT JUMP" or something. pretty much ignored it since.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
yea I am a gamer, jet set willy to black ops 4.. currently only on PS4 since my huge imac bit the dust, I usually only get phone games for when im on the bog :D
The logical conclusion is to rip up the floor and move the bog ? post apocalypse I'm sure every living room will incorporate the toilet - get ahead of the trends !

Ah jet set willy ... manic miner ... where does it end ...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Problem is that you end up with long bog sessions and a ring on the bum :)

As a man who makes guitars, I'm sure he has a one off custom seat which not only offers increased longer term support and comfort, but also assists in the creation of some stunning water closet operas.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
As a man who makes guitars, I'm sure he has a one off custom seat which not only offers increased longer term support and comfort, but also assists in the creation of some stunning water closet operas.

you may joke here but I make everything... from doors to chopping boards so.... yea

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles