Old blokes who should know better.....

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Really enjoying this thread - entertaining and inspirational :) Want to start learning to jump and building a ramp once I have cracked a few "must do " garden chores for the boss. :)

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Certainly no advice from me, enjoyed watching your video, helpful and has already been said inspirational, I’m also in the same boat, it’s been at least 25 years since I last got on a bike and that was a steel framed MTB with skinny wheels and no suspension, fast forward to present day and I’m eager to learn like yourself, I might do the same and build a kicker with the leftover plywood from my resent bike cave build, the only problem is I might have to go outside to use it which could court controversy ?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Top job guys ! It all looks so composed from the side view. The on bike camera looks like you jump about 20 meters ! :)

you're right mate, sometimes we film each other on the phone and watch it back straight away, its always a shock watching what you had just done looking (as you said) so composed when you were actually shitting your pants and feeling like you were in orbit :D

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
You guys have been having some great weather. I haven't ventured outside this week. The sun has been shining, but the temperatures have barely crept over 0 degrees. Love your Milwaukee Packout! I have some stuff from that collection and it is brilliant! Keep it up. My Boys built a jump that I could perhaps lend you.
I haven't tried it. But it is stored behind my house.
Keep up the good work and the inspiring videos.

Last edited:

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
You guys have been having some great weather. I haven't ventured outside this week. The sun has been shining, but the temperatures have barely crept over 0 degrees. Love your Milwaukee Packout! I have some stuff from that collection and it is brilliant! Keep it up. My Boys built a jump that I could perhaps lend you.
I haven't tried it. But it is stored behind my house.
Keep up the good work and the inspiring videos.

ooh, lucky that was a soft landing, he was backwards !!

mate, I love the packout, I have pretty much all Milwaukee tools apart from some festool and dewalt laser, they are just a little bit better than the competition but that does matter.
yea the weather is perfect for this right now, hope it stays that way for a while.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I have a plan............
1D1EEDEE-A701-4654-8E60-25DD466F7010.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You probably still would tho, eh? :sneaky:
The world is a different place to what it was a few weeks ago. I'm starting to wonder what might be now classed as acceptable.. especially in the entertainments field... Is YouTube MTB in suspenders not just the logical evolution to lycra ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
lol. put down the tape measure.
That gap already has a natural lip and landing. I'm 100% confident I could jump it easily and smoothly without building anything at all.

(excuse my poor paint skills)
run in.png

Gap.png

it's 2 bike lengths. most folk who can jump well will be able to bunny hop well over a bike length at will and with a slight lip and some speed means it's really not a big jump.
Knowing how to do it is the issue. and you've not yet learned this.
Scooping out a smoother take off in the natural grass would help but not required as would levelling the out the grass landing transition.
you don't need to build anything out of wood. put down a board on the landing though. infact you might want to put down a door or something in the gap to give you confidence. you'll never land on it but it does seem to help with the fear of gaps

See when I asked to download the BMX game earlier in the thread. I was serious. You need to understand the physics of jumping/pumping and landing. and timing. and that little game will teach you all of those things. please download it and have a play with it tonight.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I honestly don't mean to sound harsh here but none of your built jumps yet have had landings in apropriate position or height/transition to match the take offs you've built.

this is the first mistake kids in the woods tend to make when building their first dirt jumps. They almost ALWAYS spend ages on their take offs and rarely ever put the effort and time into their landings. Good jumps don't work like that. play the game and you'll hopefully get it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles