Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

Kent

Nov 28, 2020
Israel
The bike definitely looks great, and the TCU display has taken a serious step forward, but the biggest cloud hoovering above the 2022 model is its reliability. I would definitely consider buying it, but only after I know for sure that all motor problems are solved.

roccobarocco

Feb 26, 2020
Germany
The bike definitely looks great, and the TCU display has taken a serious step forward, but the biggest cloud hoovering above the 2022 model is its reliability. I would definitely consider buying it, but only after I know for sure that all motor problems are solved.

Same here, the last Levo was a herb disappointed.

giumik

Mar 22, 2021
Italy
34" chainring is to make up for the lower ratio 27.5 rear wheel.
2021 model had 32" but had 29 rear wheel.

My comparison was between the data of the PRO version 2022, reported on the official website, and the data reported by @Rob Rides EMTB ( post #113) of the Expert 2022 version.
Both 2022 models are Mullet but have different chainring

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I'm currently riding a Focus Jam2 Carbon bike. I've done a lot to it and like it a lot but I remember how much I enjoyed my demo ride in 2019 on a Turbo Levo. It is hard to beat the smoothness and torque of that Brose motor. I'm considering the aluminum version and then will upgrade to a 2021 Lyrik Ultimate like I did on my Focus and maybe a DVO Topaz rear shock. Still a lot less than the carbon version of the bike and I really don't need the 700 wh battery to carry around. I'm only about 160 fully kitted so range isn't much of an issue usually even with the smaller battery I currently have on the Focus and I have a small range extender now just in cas. With the 500 wh battery I'm wondering where a S2 or S3 size might sit. I really can't find much and don't know what bike manufacturers don't just publish the differences of sizes and build. They have all that data more easily available than we do. Maybe still 23 kg or closer to 22 kg? The tires are definitely not the lightest. I guess I'm a bit spoiled by the Focus 44-45 lb weight but still would consider the 2022 Turbo Levo aluminum version at $5500. Some of the trends I've seen in 55 lb ebikes is NOT the direction I want to go.

Citylad77

Mar 13, 2021
Midlands
Whist I love the bike, this is going to get some serious use. But came to charge it for this afternoons ride and noticed that for some reason the little door that protects the charge point has some how fallen off on the last ride.
CEA98905-E74B-4D16-8DB0-07B04AB98F97.jpeg

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Whist I love the bike, this is going to get some serious use. But came to charge it for this afternoons ride and noticed that for some reason the little door that protects the charge point has some how fallen off on the last ride. View attachment 57648
YEAH !!! We have our winner ! :cool:

As per a previous removed discussion .

@Specialized Rider Care @Rob Rides EMTB

Does he get a free replacement for being first ??? :) :ROFLMAO:

@Citylad77 I think you need to order a replacement M3 rockguard which should have the new door included. No idea if that means you can then sell your broken one to a Gen2 owner as a spare/replacement Rock Guard now that you've "Modified" it ?

Citylad77

Mar 13, 2021
Midlands
YEAH !!! We have our winner ! :cool:

As per a previous removed discussion .

@Specialized Rider Care @Rob Rides EMTB

Does he get a free replacement for being first ??? :) :ROFLMAO:

@Citylad77 I think you need to order a replacement M3 rockguard which should have the new door included. No idea if that means you can then sell your broken one to a Gen2 owner as a spare/replacement Rock Guard now that you've "Modified" it ?
To be fair I did go through a lot of rough low bushes yesterday, so it could have very easily have got caught. Bike still works fine the plug it self feels very secure.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
To be fair I did go through a lot of rough low bushes yesterday, so it could have very easily have got caught. Bike still works fine the plug it self feels very secure.
It might be time to invest in a rockguard guard .... ?? :)

Does the aluminium Berkshire one still allow the door to open enough to charge, whilst giving some door protection ?

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
In Robs initial review he did say a small hinge, and the image you have posted makes it look like a thin hinge.

The little door could be opened by a shrub / bush / root / rock from underneath as it unlocks upwards ?

Then when the little door opens mid ride the crank could sheer the door off ?

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
In Robs initial review he did say a small hinge, and the image you have posted makes it look like a thin hinge.
I'm sure they've tested it with many thousands of openings. But it was fairly obvious that for some people it's going to break. I'm sure we've all had something in life with a similar flexible plastic hinge which eventually just tears off after repeated flexings and that's without bashing/rubbing it on rocks, trees, shrubs and so on.

An old thread which has re-surfaced a few times which might help :

Was also discussed in here to some extent with extra ideas on securing with velcro (alternative guards, not the Aqua Door).

Citylad77

Mar 13, 2021
Midlands
BC4BB568-B132-4D1E-B40D-53EA002B5EF0.jpeg

The little door could be opened by a shrub / bush / root / rock from underneath as it unlocks upwards ?

Then when the little door opens mid ride the crank could sheer the door off ?
I suspect that this is what has happened. It’s not a problem not stopping use of the bike, and sure Spz will sort early next week, the service I have received on my last 2 S Works EMTBs over the years has been brilliant.

Last edited:

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
View attachment 57649
I suspect that this is what has happened. It’s not a problem not stopping use of the bike, and sure Spz will sort early next week, the service I have received on my last 2 S Works EMTBs over the years has been brilliant.
Whist I love the bike, this is going to get some serious use. But came to charge it for this afternoons ride and noticed that for some reason the little door that protects the charge point has some how fallen off on the last ride. View attachment 57648
As I stated in my previous post, how long is it goin to take for a replacement to arrive via the FAR east? That’s if there’s any stock, or are they already modifying it ?

Citylad77

Mar 13, 2021
Midlands
As I stated in my previous post, how long is it goin to take for a replacement to arrive via the FAR east? That’s if there’s any stock, or are they already modifying it ?
Will find out Tuesday when Spz store is open. It looks like a small part would be surprised if Spz U.K. don’t have access to a replacement here in U.K. Does not affect rides in any way.

Oct 9, 2020
LA
I'm sure they've tested it with many thousands of openings. But it was fairly obvious that for some people it's going to break. I'm sure we've all had something in life with a similar flexible plastic hinge which eventually just tears off after repeated flexings and that's without bashing/rubbing it on rocks, trees, shrubs and so on.

An old thread which has re-surfaced a few times which might help :

Was also discussed in here to some extent with extra ideas on securing with velcro (alternative guards, not the Aqua Door).

Are you a Specialized shill? They better be paying you.

Citylad77

Mar 13, 2021
Midlands
Nice new piece of spiffy packaging tape over that opening before every ride should be enough for now.
I actually think it’s a really good design and should solve the water ingress problem on these bikes. Who knows I might not have even locked the cover after the charge. Things like this can happen. Sure Spz store will sort ASAP tomorrow. Yes have some wide waterproof tape that fits perfectly until it’s fixed.

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Just a question to all who own that new bike:
is the battery removable like on 2019, 20, 21 Levos or is it „buil in“ like on Levo SL?

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Sorry to say this, but looks to me like you might have sheared off the clip to the rhs of the port as well? Must admit, when i saw the original pics, first thing in my mind was "that'd be the first thing i break then"

Citylad77

Mar 13, 2021
Midlands
Sorry to say this, but looks to me like you might have sheared off the clip to the rhs of the port as well? Must admit, when i saw the original pics, first thing in my mind was "that'd be the first thing i break then"
No it’s 100% just the flap clean at were it folds over , it’s very thin plastic.
4A758FF1-C0EC-4BC1-9F7E-42E392045C6F.jpeg

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
The ebike-mtb.com review has a very different cover to the one in Robs review ?

Robs review is the first photo. ( Pinkbike got the same type as did theloamwolf )

ebike-mtb.com review the 2nd and 3rd photo where they have removed the switch ( also here Specialized - S-Works Turbo Levo 2022 Gen3 - Zero G Chamonix and Specialized Turbo Levo 2022: eMTB enduro geometrie variabili and SPECIALIZED Turbo Levo Pro Satin Redwood/Smoke/Black 2022 - VELOsprint )

In the promo photo of the red bike on the tredz website there was no front cover so suggests the cover might have been a last minute design and might have had limited testing.

Screenshot 2021-04-05 at 15.19.21.png

Screenshot 2021-04-05 at 15.19.28.png

Screenshot 2021-04-05 at 15.29.15.png

Last edited:

1983RH

Apr 5, 2021
Santa Rosa
The outer battery cover (door) is just hinged and has a small plastic blade that the lever moves to lock the door shut. No magnets that I can see or feel. The charging port plug/lid does not use a magnet either that I can tell. Its a snug friction fit with the water seals. The little flippy lever that folds out to aid the removal of the plug/lid does have a magnet that neatly holds the little flippy lever in the closed position. I have not had min come open on a ride yet but can see that the door lever should be recessed a bit more and have a stronger detent to keep it on the closed position.
22swt - 1.jpeg
22swt - 2.jpeg
22swt - 3.jpeg
22swt - 4.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The ebike-mtb.com review has a very different cover to the one in Robs review ?

Robs review is the first photo. ( Pinkbike got the same type as did theloamwolf )

ebike-mtb.com review the 2nd and 3rd photo where they have removed the switch ( also here Specialized - S-Works Turbo Levo 2022 Gen3 - Zero G Chamonix )

In the promo photo of the red bike on the tredz website there was no front cover so suggests the cover might have been a last minute design and might have had limited testing.

View attachment 57753
View attachment 57754
View attachment 57759
Looking at the inner moulding, it looks like the pinkbike type door was probably a prototype style which was then upgraded with the catch.

It almost looks like they tried to incorporate the square plug seal into the door originally rather than into he Rosenberg plug.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Specialized Turbo Levo Pro
€ 11,499

Seatpost FOX Transfer 100-200 mm
Brakes
SRAM Code RSC 200/200 (S1-S3), 220/200 (S4-S6) mm

Bigger boys and girls need bigger brakes .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles