I've broken 2 battery rock guards on my 2020 Levo Comp.

Wheezer

Nov 10, 2019
Upstate New York, usa
Has anyone else had this issue? I think my sag was way too low and I am not careful enough but this is expensive. I've only put a couple hundred miles on the bike so far. has anyone come up with a hardening device for this area?

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
Not heard of this at all, I was amazed by high high up my motor is compared to my old bike, but then I have my shock in the high position, what are you running it in? (high or low)
There are a couple of covers you can buy that I know of.. Rockyguardz or Amygos (though there site seems a mess & I can't locate it)

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Has anyone else had this issue? I think my sag was way too low and I am not careful enough but this is expensive. I've only put a couple hundred miles on the bike so far. has anyone come up with a hardening device for this area?
i got an aluminum bash guard bombproof . Dealer made it in uk .Should be pics on here of it a few folk got them from Berkshire cycles

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Grounding out or hitting step ups etc? Sag too low may be contributing to the former but your suspension would need to be seriously bottoming out and even then there is clearance. If the latter then more front wheel lift/manual required for trail obstacles. I don't see the Rockguardz lasting long if you keep hitting stuff...its carbon! The Amygos is a better design and material but as the poster above mentioned, good luck trying to order one!

Wheezer

Nov 10, 2019
Upstate New York, usa
Z1ppy, thanks so much. I just flipped my chip from low to high. Along with reducing my sag I think this will help. I think I broke the last one going over a log, and the first one going over a rock.

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
I have broken two as well, one one a tree and one where a stone hit it and broke it, front wheel sometimes have stones following it arround and hitting the guard. I ordered what I should have done day 1, an Amygos and now have it mounted.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Easy done clunking the guard especially on technical climbing.

jm2e

Jun 2, 2019
ekn8tios
I've busted the crap out of mine. Big chunk on the plug side making that a big gaping hole. Bigger chunk on the opposite side making the battery quite visible. Local Special Ed dealer said replacement guards are back ordered until March. Zero attempt to dig deeper or find out Special Ed's opinion on what I should do about riding my bike in the meantime. This will really curtail our riding for a while and wife is definitely not happy. Of course, her battery guard hasn't broken yet.
The reality is that instead of building a bike with a bash guard they designed a bike that you bash the bike. It's stupid for anyone riding fast chunky terrain. I hit logs when riding up over them, but I also tap big rock steps when I'm rolling over them. But more than likely the damaged occurred on one of the many fast runs down loose chunky terrain where occasionally rocks will nail the bike down there.
Planning to order Rockguardz if I can figure out whether they'll remove the VAT fee before sending to The States. Not in love with the ugly look of the Amygos, and not in love with it hanging down so low that it gets hit even more often. And definitely not in love with their e-commerce attempts.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I've busted the crap out of mine. Big chunk on the plug side making that a big gaping hole. Bigger chunk on the opposite side making the battery quite visible. Local Special Ed dealer said replacement guards are back ordered until March. Zero attempt to dig deeper or find out Special Ed's opinion on what I should do about riding my bike in the meantime. This will really curtail our riding for a while and wife is definitely not happy. Of course, her battery guard hasn't broken yet.
The reality is that instead of building a bike with a bash guard they designed a bike that you bash the bike. It's stupid for anyone riding fast chunky terrain. I hit logs when riding up over them, but I also tap big rock steps when I'm rolling over them. But more than likely the damaged occurred on one of the many fast runs down loose chunky terrain where occasionally rocks will nail the bike down there.
Planning to order Rockguardz if I can figure out whether they'll remove the VAT fee before sending to The States. Not in love with the ugly look of the Amygos, and not in love with it hanging down so low that it gets hit even more often. And definitely not in love with their e-commerce attempts.
This is what I have it bolts on using the battery bolt but needs a longer bolt. Also heavy duty Velcro works as well.
20190910_143753.jpg

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK
I look after a friend's 2019 Levo and on yesterday's ride she went over a log or something with a resulting 'crack' and on inspection I see the battery guard is cracked, Just been told by Berkshire Cycles that a replacement costs £55! So I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to seal the crack with some adhesive, and then fit a further guard, such as the one shown by @Binhill1 above - which I'm assuming is the one sold by Berkshire Cycles for £40?

Unless anyone's got any better ideas?
IMG_20200115_140307495.jpg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I look after a friend's 2019 Levo and on yesterday's ride she went over a log or something with a resulting 'crack' and on inspection I see the battery guard is cracked, Just been told by Berkshire Cycles that a replacement costs £55! So I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to seal the crack with some adhesive, and then fit a further guard, such as the one shown by @Binhill1 above - which I'm assuming is the one sold by Berkshire Cycles for £40?

Unless anyone's got any better ideas?
View attachment 24539
Yes got it from Berkshire. She must be a rough Bessie as we say , fair old bit of damage easily done though.

dfkenevo

Aug 13, 2018
Truckee, Ca
To Binhill1
I'm in the US too so we don't have options here
Could you send a close up picture? How is the rear part attached? Is it easy to find a longer bolt?
Thanks a lot

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
To Binhill1
I'm in the US too so we don't have options here
Could you send a close up picture? How is the rear part attached? Is it easy to find a longer bolt?
Thanks a lot
Only one bolt hole you can attach other end with industrial Velcro only trouble I find is if I remove battery the glued bit comes off as it's always rainy here's so use another piece of Velcrco I used it with bolt only for 800miles and it was ok but not enough thread in my opinion . Still look for bolt M12 x 1.25 pitch 19mm the one for battery but I would get another 5mm and cut if needed. Other hole lines up with drain hole .

20200115_171910.jpg

20200115_171901.jpg

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Suggest you look for an alloy bolt, it screws into a brass insert in the battery case and a steel one will cause corrosion. And the stock bolt is drilled through. Since the threads should be greased and it goes into a blind hole I guess this is to let the air out.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Suggest you look for an alloy bolt, it screws into a brass insert in the battery case and a steel one will cause corrosion. And the stock bolt is drilled through. Since the threads should be greased and it goes into a blind hole I guess this is to let the air out.
b
Yes Kenny still looking not so easy to find. Any links appreciated .

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Maybe:
M12 x 1.25 Aluminium Banjo Bolt Brake Caliper Fitting Adaptor Black

Pegasus Auto Racing USA - The shank (underhead) length of this bolt is 1.22" (31mm). The unthreaded portion is 1/2" long (12mm):
Single Banjo Bolt 12mm x 1.25 Thread, Aluminum
3242-029.JPG

Advance Automotives UK - 27mm Under head length:
12mm x 1.25mm Banjo Bolt Dellorto Carburettors DHLA
aa.jpg

Speedflow UK confirms 26mm from under the bolt head to the end of the thread.
The 723-06 is a shouldered bolt, the shoulder being 14mm
12mm (M12) x 1.25mm Banjo Bolt Dellorto Carburettor - # 723-06
aa.jpg

Last edited:

Paceman

Jul 8, 2019
Brighton
The Rockguardz protector works really well on my '19 Levo. We have loads of log features on our local trails so it was one of the first upgrades I got. No problems at all after the last 7 months. The guard has some flex built into it so takes the knocks well whilst absorbing any energy that might have caused damage to the battery cover / motor housing.

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK
The Rockguardz protector works really well on my '19 Levo. We have loads of log features on our local trails so it was one of the first upgrades I got. No problems at all after the last 7 months. The guard has some flex built into it so takes the knocks well whilst absorbing any energy that might have caused damage to the battery cover / motor housing.
how does it attach - does it use the same single mounting point as the stock protector/release handle?

Rcoley

Sep 13, 2019
Aberdeenshire
I made one out of aluminium.... Cost me 2 quid...gets a fairly regular bashing hopping up onto logs etc.... Was really easy to make... Can send a photo if you want.

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
I went over a log in my first 2 km of trail riding on my new Giant Stance-E and cracked the motor guard. It seems like it is made of ABS plastic and is about 1.5mm thick. IMHO, way underbuilt. I ended up JB Welding it back together and reinforcing the area with a 2mm thick strip of ABS heated and formed to match the OEM guard. I haven't ridden the bike since so I have no idea if it's strong enough. Good luck with yours.

ridehard

Aug 20, 2019
Israel
I made one out of aluminium.... Cost me 2 quid...gets a fairly regular bashing hopping up onto logs etc.... Was really easy to make... Can send a photo if you want.
Rcoley, could you upload a sketch or drawing of the guard's/bike's contour line?
thanks

DarkBarly

Nov 10, 2019
Worcester
Fused mine with an old soldering iron. Looks like frankensteins monster but an effective repair. Lots of generic how to's on the tube.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles