New RideControl App

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Mine, Android phone with 2020 Trance E+0 allows me to change the power settings but the bike forgets them when it's turned off and on again.
I just want to reduce assistance in the bottom three modes to increase range in Eco mode and make the steps reasonably equal between modes.
Highest power shows as 360 on mine.
4th version of the app that I've had and none have worked properly.
Not impressive.

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
Just realized my app wasn't saving power modes and last time I looked I had 466 miles on it now it's down in the 300s...not useful...won't be using the app for anything now.

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
The app is now telling me there's a bike update available.

Has anyone tried it, or know what the changes are?

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Works fine On an MY20 running the -10 control unit.

lights now default to ON
Motor tuning seems to work.

one positive new “feature” it so slippery where I ride that I probably wheel spin badly once per ride minimum, which always resulted in a red light of death with LED 3 indicating speed sensor failure and needing a reboot. Infuriating of on a technical climb when it happens.

Now you get the light, but retain assistance and just can’t change power levels until you reboot.
Did a whole 500ft uphill today with it flashing at me. FAR, FAR, Better!

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Tried the update today, with Eco mode set to 50% and it worked a treat. 16.5 miles, 1500+ feet of climbing, some bits boggy and it used 27% of the battery, just dropped from five battery lights to four towards the end, so definitely a lot more economical than before. :)

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Tried the update today, with Eco mode set to 50% and it worked a treat. 16.5 miles, 1500+ feet of climbing, some bits boggy and it used 27% of the battery, just dropped from five battery lights to four towards the end, so definitely a lot more economical than before. :)

Finally, we turn a corner. ??
They will probably remove all these positives when they fix the ? error.

I genuinely may never update mine again. ?

Trancer

Feb 19, 2020
UK
Which idiot decided to have the lights switch on by default!? I don't even have lights yet I don't like the idea of battery power being wasted. Out in freezing conditions today I had to waste my time removing gloves so I could operate the unresponsive light switch! Oh, and the app stops working after the bike power times out rendering any route recording impossible. Highly evident that just like Version 1, the current version of Ride Control is written by people who have never ridden a MTB in their lives. Pathetic!

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Which idiot decided to have the lights switch on by default!? I don't even have lights yet I don't like the idea of battery power being wasted. Out in freezing conditions today I had to waste my time removing gloves so I could operate the unresponsive light switch! Oh, and the app stops working after the bike power times out rendering any route recording impossible. Highly evident that just like Version 1, the current version of Ride Control is written by people who have never ridden a MTB in their lives. Pathetic!
It's just a bug I'm sure.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
The lights being 'on' won't use any power; yes there's an extra LED illuminated, which will use next to nothing but the others are dimmed anyway.

As for the nav app, I just stream the bike data to my nav (OS Trail 2 Bike) and it connects automatically when the bike is powered up.

Trancer

Feb 19, 2020
UK
The lights being 'on' won't use any power; yes there's an extra LED illuminated, which will use next to nothing but the others are dimmed anyway.

As for the nav app, I just stream the bike data to my nav (OS Trail 2 Bike) and it connects automatically when the bike is powered up.
I don't disagree with your first paragraph. No lights will probably mean no current draw but why have it in the first place.
Regarding your second paragraph, using a secondary app completely negates the worth of Ride Control.

Last edited:

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I don't disagree with your first paragraph. No lights will probably mean no current draw but why have it in the first place.
Regarding your second paragraph, using a secondary ap completely negates the worth of Ride Control.
How is it going to use battery power with no current draw? It won't.

And, absolutely obviously, if the bike turns itself off its going to stop communicating with the app.

My gripe was that it wouldn't work with the bike as a tuning tool, because no other app does that, but there's a zillion nav options that are better in most, if not all, ways.

Trancer

Feb 19, 2020
UK
As a programmer myself, I wouldn't make that judgement. We don't know what difficulties they have in developing the app.
As a programmer myself I'm fully aware of what default options are available. But we can disregard my opinion completely and just note that previous versions of the app did not switch lights on by default.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
My main concern it that there is now a live cable not attached to anything rattling around in there now. although if water got that far up, you'd have other things to worry about
It's got silicone caps on the connectors, and it's only 6v anyway.
Water ingress into everything else is a bigger problem.
I always change the assistance level when I power up anyway because the automatic level adjustment is awful. So turning the lights off at the same time is no issue.

Ideally, I'd prefer 'current settings' to be saved into non volatile memory when the bike is shut down to be retrieved on power up. Everybody's happy then.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Nobody wants to admit this app even exist.
It's a huge failure.

I'm sure Giant has a cohesive strategy going forward, but their failure to aggressively occupy this new territory, leaves me mystified.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
although if water got that far up, you'd have other things to worry about

I have bad news for you my friend, there is a connector for the rear lights right down in the bottom bracket area too. LOL

I really wouldn’t worry about it though as the chap above says it’s the rest of the electrics are the problem not the lighting.

Incidentally, I have found a positive in this new firmware bug.?

If I switch the lights off manually, then for the rest of the ride I know for a fact whether the bike has ever powered it self down and back up again as the lights LED will be back on.

I had that issue with the MY19. Used to reboot mid-ride. Infuriating. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles