My new 2021 Trek Rail 5 Purple Flip

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
A fine choice, Rob - it is the same as my own!

Will be interesting to see what mods and upgrades you try and how they work out for you, so I hope you keep this thread updated.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
That's a nice color.

Interesting to see how long the Rail 5 components lasts with you. Besiders frame, handlebar, brakes, dropper, front sprocket and rear shock I've ended up to change all else.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
It sounds to me a good idea buuying the 5 & upgrading however wouldn't it be a struggle to sell the stock parts being as that they're not really upgrades to anything?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
It sounds to me a good idea buuying the 5 & upgrading however wouldn't it be a struggle to sell the stock parts being as that they're not really upgrades to anything?
The stock parts are ok depending on what you do with your bike. They’ll definitely sell, even more so at the moment due to a shortage of absolutely everything.

I’d have no problem riding all of this and still be able to have a good laugh. I just know from experience of using better kit how different it would with something better.

the only thing that it really desperately needs is a better fork. So many brands are using this RockShox 35. It’s a poor fork. Would much rather have a Fox 34 even. Maybe brakes too, have never used these Tektro brakes, but they’re 4 pot so they can’t be that bad.

there becomes a point of marginal gains... not saying that this base level is the best way of doing it, maybe next model up would have been better. But sometimes stock availability dictates ownership ?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Yes definately. Over here in NZ it seems the 5 comes with a 500wh battery so you'd have to go the 7 as the base model for upgrades really if you wanted the 630. Thats another couple of grand to begin with & then the logical upgrade is the charger 2.1 in the yari to upgrade to the lyric spec. DVO (as seen on Tonyok's bike) seem to be doing big business over here mostly due to the personalised tuning with each fork & shock.

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
Oooooh, exciting. Just pulled the trigger (in the last hour!!) on a Rail 7. Missed the in-stock bike by a week, so now looking at before April. ?? Decided to go for the 7 for the Shimano drivetrain and also the Yari forks, I'll swap the Charger damper upgrade from my present Yari/Lyrik bike. Definitely mullet curious, re-rimmed my busted wheel just last night to free up a wheel to play with. Clearly I'd already bought the Rail in my head...

DMS2610

Jul 27, 2020
Lichfield UK
Really looking forward to your review Rob, as I think the bike is awesome out of the box. I bought 2 of these, one each for my son and I, and we love them!! Braking is superb with great modulation, power/motor is fabulous, wheels and tyres have been converted to tubeless and they perform well, but Maxxis will be on it next I guess even though the Nobby Nic's are not a bad allrounder. Suspension is good, and my enhancements were more out of boredom and desire than necessity if I'm being honest. Only criticism (and must be read in context) is that the drive train and shifting is at the level you would expect i.e. this is an amazing package and Trek had to trim costs somewhere. Not bad in truth, so no need to rush out and change, but I will be upgrading as parts wear out to make improvements.

Problem now is this new found love for mountain biking means I cant resist adding upgrades, and so far have changed the forks to ZEB Ultimates 170mm (and boy are they plush!!), some Deathgrips, the rear shock to the Trek adapted Thru-shaft version, cranks to Hope because I bent one with a bad fall resulting in a separated shoulder ? and some lovely Brendog pedals. I was at John Atkins Cycles today (where I originally bought the bikes) and ended up ordering some sexy Hope floating Rotors……again, totally unnecessary but they look great. All I need now is a little surgery and I can look forward to getting out next season to tell you if the upgrades are good, but for the meantime, MTB jewellery is my guilty pleasure :giggle:

P.S. Yes, I know I should have perhaps bought a higher spec model first out, but where's the fun in that and boy this colour!!! lol

IMG_6981.JPG

Last edited:

DMS2610

Jul 27, 2020
Lichfield UK
Hi Rob,

I think many people would value your ride review before upgrading components as many buyers will ride the bike in stock form. Then an update as you begin to make changes would be fantastic to share the value of each enhancement.
You might just give me a reason to make further changes while I'm laid up, i need the excuse lol

VOOBOY

Nov 19, 2019
South Yorkshire
Hi Rob,

I think many people would value your ride review before upgrading components as many buyers will ride the bike in stock form. Then an update as you begin to make changes would be fantastic to share the value of each enhancement.
You might just give me a reason to make further changes while I'm laid up, i need the excuse lol
Yeah, @Rob Rides EMTB try the Tektro’s and let us know what you think.

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
Only been on 2 rides on mine so far. The front brake, after the first ride, sounded like it was rubbing a little and both brakes felt a little weak, but I'd forgotten to do any kind of bedding in procedure. I did some bedding in on my second ride and both ends feel / sound a lot better / stronger now. I'm hoping this will improve a little more on subsequent rides, so I'm happy with the Tektros so far...

DMS2610

Jul 27, 2020
Lichfield UK
I like the Tektros they have good modulation and haul up well even with my 112kg on board ?That said, I have ordered Hope floating rotors and I’m sure the E4 callipers and levers will follow ? I don’t think it’s needed at all, but I’m honest enough to say I have an upgrade fetish ???
Being serious, I think the single most benefit would be seen from a better fork if you are sending it imho

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Ok some updates

Zeb 170
Mullet with Magic Mary 29 front 2.6”, Big Betty rear 2.6” 27.5” on

head angle 63.3 degrees
BB height 334mm with flip chip in low (stock reading was much higher than Trek quoted height)

Deore brakes
210mm One up V2 dropper
XT Drivetrain

weight approx 24.1 KG

2B429FEF-4F45-442A-8E5D-310E4CE9FAB6.jpeg

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ok some updates

Zeb 170
Mullet with Magic Mary 29 front 2.6”, Big Betty rear 2.6” 27.5” on

head angle 63.3 degrees
BB height 334mm with flip chip in low (stock reading was much higher than Trek quoted height)

Deore brakes
210mm One up V2 dropper
XT Drivetrain

weight approx 24.1 KG

View attachment 46660
How long till Hope gets its purple parts bin raided :cool:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
So at normal RRP (I'm presuming you get some discount) what's the cost of the bike so far after these changes?
Bike: £4150

parts when shopping around

Zeb: £710
Wheelset: £473
Tyres: 90
Brakes: £160
XT Drivetrain off old bike but about £200
One Up V2 dropper including remote £220

total if paying RRP of bike £5803

could sell take off stuff for £400 easily (wheels tyres drivetrain fork dropper etc)

maybe total cost around £5400

if you can get the bike for a discount, then closer to £5k

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I just checked out the Rail 9. That’s £5400 so arguably we are at the same price point.
I like to faff around with parts and try stuff out. But not everyone likes this approach, often it’s much easier to buy off the shelf.

Also, not taking into account all the tools to do this (workshop stand, crown race remover, installer, all the hassle of dropping motor out for hoses etc etc!).

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
What size is the dropper you took off?

Edit: Never mind, just looked it up on the Trek website. I can't believe they spec a 130mm dropper on an XL frame! ?

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
What size is the dropper you took off?

Edit: Never mind, just looked it up on the Trek website. I can't believe they spec a 130mm dropper on an XL frame! ?
I don't understand how you could go bigger than the 130mm on that frame TBH, you must have to have seriously long legs!
The seat would be too high for me at full extension with anything bigger and my legs aren't that short!
Disclaimer - this is my first dropper post..................ever, so I could be talking BS ;)

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
I don't understand how you could go bigger than the 130mm on that frame TBH, you must have to have seriously long legs!
The seat would be too high for me at full extension with anything bigger and my legs aren't that short!
Disclaimer - this is my first dropper post..................ever, so I could be talking BS ;)
I have the one up 210mm dropper on my XL too ?... 6ft 1in ,33in leg and it's bang on ?

PXL_20201022_132145193.jpg

PXL_20201119_181724828.NIGHT.jpg

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
That's fast spannering!! ? Is the bottom bracket reasonable or low - must admit I'm not up on the numbers. Will you be trying high position on the flip chip too?

Gfunkmc - did you try the XL before you bought? Do you like longer bikes? I'm exactly the same measurements as you and ordered a large (unseen).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles