My new 2021 Trek Rail 5 Purple Flip

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
I am the same height and inside leg as you. XL definitely the right size? Did you have to shorten the stem?

Also, with a 170 dropper like the one in the 9 how much post would be exposed under the dropper collar? I have a trailer I need to attach. Thanks.
XL with 50mm rise bars and 35mm length stem (all my bikes have 35-40mm stems) for me at 188cm. I could do with less rise bars but i like more of a freeride setup.
Large was way too small for me.
I'm using the 150 dropper from my 9.7. I have it slammed and the 150mm is just about perfect for me (i could maybe use another cm but not necessary).

Marley

Jan 28, 2021
VA
After reading wait times on the new Rail, I feel very fortunate.
Stopped by the LBS just last week to order a Red Rail 7 in large.

The owner looks at me and says " wait, I believe we have one on the way that is not accounted for ".

Sure enough, he calls today and says your bike is here........but now I'm snowed in for a couple of days ⛷.

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
I am the same height and inside leg as you. XL definitely the right size? Did you have to shorten the stem?

Also, with a 170 dropper like the one in the 9 how much post would be exposed under the dropper collar? I have a trailer I need to attach. Thanks.
Yep both my bikes are 500 reach but have changed them from 50mm to 40mm stems ... My 210mm post is slammed so a 170mm should have about 30-40mm of post exposed depending on make and model of dropper

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Liked the running review on youtube . Not sure the battery and key is that big an issue to a normal owner. Yourself you may have to deal with multiple bikes so it all adds up I guess.
What about all the bikes you have to flip over and dismantle to get at the battery?
Agree about the bikes that need to be lifted to remove battery. More hassle. I guess what I'm saying with Trek is that I think the battery removal option is great, very convenient, but the key makes it more hassle than it could be.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
OK, confession time. I think the 170 Zeb on the bike lifts the front too high. After riding the Zeb over the last 2 days and the Lyrik for around a month before that, the Zeb feels like it rides too high at 170. Understeers on sharper corners.

might need to do another video haha.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
OK, confession time. I think the 170 Zeb on the bike lifts the front too high. After riding the Zeb over the last 2 days and the Lyrik for around a month before that, the Zeb feels like it rides too high at 170. Understeers on sharper corners.

I think many times the human brain wants improvements and joins all the dots, we get improvements .. but maybe that isn't the whole picture.

Only more time and experience gives us that, so thanks for your honesty.

What you going to call the next one though .. The Good the Bad and the Ugly ?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
So you'd lower the Zeb down? That would be an interesting comparison to the lyrik.
I often (when there's nothing on the telly) watch my lyrik /Yari flex while riding & wonder if it is such a bad thing. Sideways flexion is unwanted however wouldn't fore & aft flexion arrest vibrations that would surely otherwise travel through to the bars with stiffer suspension?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
So you'd lower the Zeb down? That would be an interesting comparison to the lyrik.
I often (when there's nothing on the telly) watch my lyrik /Yari flex while riding & wonder if it is such a bad thing. Sideways flexion is unwanted however wouldn't fore & aft flexion arrest vibrations that would surely otherwise travel through to the bars with stiffer suspension?

Yes I’ll get a 160 air shaft kit and swap it. The torsional stiffness is what was improved over the Lyrik - fore / aft was a marginal difference

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
After reading wait times on the new Rail, I feel very fortunate.
Stopped by the LBS just last week to order a Red Rail 7 in large.

The owner looks at me and says " wait, I believe we have one on the way that is not accounted for ".

Sure enough, he calls today and says your bike is here........but now I'm snowed in for a couple of days ⛷.
Had pretty much same luck with mine last month . Then with the price rise a week after I felt lucky and glad I jumped on the deal without hesitating

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Screenshot 2021-02-13 at 10.52.35.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I put some more in here :

I thought at first it meant just the software for the unit itself and mapping, That screen shot is from the bosch updates page. It's the only system where it says you can download the updates - so presumably for the whole bike.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

I dropped my stem Lower by 10mm when I switched from Lyric to Zeb, made a noticeable difference - you tried that?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I dropped my stem Lower by 10mm when I switched from Lyric to Zeb, made a noticeable difference - you tried that?
No but I will give it a go. I think the front is raised too high with the 170mm Zeb (it has a 5mm axle to crown increase also - so it has raised the head tube by 15mm by going from 160mm Lyrik to 170mm Zeb) so it seems to screw to geo up a bit. I could feel it massively understeering in tight berms once you hit a certain steering angle.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
No but I will give it a go. I think the front is raised too high with the 170mm Zeb (it has a 5mm axle to crown increase also - so it has raised the head tube by 15mm by going from 160mm Lyrik to 170mm Zeb) so it seems to screw to geo up a bit. I could feel it massively understeering in tight berms once you hit a certain steering angle.
Could also try running the zeb with 10mm more sag so it sits lower in its stroke . Not tried it but a mate said it worked when he converted a lyric to longer travel

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Bit of a bump.

I'm running a Yari with a 2021 170 airshaft which lifts the front a bit more than 10mm and I've been running a 27.5 wheel. I went back to the 29er last weekend for a ride a bone dry Cwmcarn and had a lot of trouble with the front washing out on the switchback climbs. Would dropping the bars help with this?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Bit of a bump.

I'm running a Yari with a 2021 170 airshaft which lifts the front a bit more than 10mm and I've been running a 27.5 wheel. I went back to the 29er last weekend for a ride a bone dry Cwmcarn and had a lot of trouble with the front washing out on the switchback climbs. Would dropping the bars help with this?

Yes dropping the bars will help weight the front a bit more. When you say 27.5 wheel I assume you mean at the rear ?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Although I really do think the drawbacks of running a 170 at the front outweigh the positives. I tried a few different configurations, 29er, mullet, 170 fork etc. Thought the stock config was the best all round performer.

170 leads to a more rearward weight bias and the bike out the box with the 160 is already around 63.5 degree head angle measured on my digi device.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've been running 27.5 at both ends. If I could get the bottom bracket out of the dirt I'd stick with it.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Although I really do think the drawbacks of running a 170 at the front outweigh the positives. I tried a few different configurations, 29er, mullet, 170 fork etc. Thought the stock config was the best all round performer.

170 leads to a more rearward weight bias and the bike out the box with the 160 is already around 63.5 degree head angle measured on my digi device.
I actually love the 21' Fox 38 170mm. I also run a 230x65mm 21'Fox DHX2 coil out back. 170mm front, 169m rear travel. Bike can handle anything. I run my saddle a bit more forward and spaced the front bars down a bit to offset geo changes and my Rail 7 feels as good descending as my big enduro bikes (Rallon, Wreckoning V3).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles