Rail (625Wh) trek rail 5 brakes

Jan 26, 2023
England
ive got a trek rail 5 with the original brakes that came with it and have nothing but trouble with them. what would be a good set replacement brakes?

Ride 2d@y

Jul 12, 2023
Mexico
On my Rail, when I needed pads, I bought Galfer pads, worked great - and soon after 2.0mm thick rotors.
IMG_6203.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
There’s a number of issues that can arise with hydraulic brake systems. Overheating, excessive noise, fading, poor modulation, air trapped inside the system, etc. Your use or type of terrain can also help determine what type or level of brakes you need.

I use a brake pads that suits my riding. I don’t race and I don’t commute, so my choice is something in the middle. My fear though is complete failure of either the front or rear systems. That has only happened once and was partially my fault (excessive heating). Lesson learned.

Soon after I upgraded to Magura Mt7’s (220mm front, 203mm rear). I’ve been using these ever since. There are other good brands available now but it seems like ‘you get what you pay for’.

Jan 26, 2023
England
What are the original brakes (make and model of lever, caliper, rotor), and what trouble have you been having with them?
the standard brakes that it came with Shimano 4-piston hydraulic disc, MT4100 lever, MT420 calliper. the issues i have is they sueel all the time, i clean them and a few days later they are howling again. i have replaced the pads, the LBS has sorted them out once or twice but max i get without howling is about 5 rides.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Sometimes certain pad compounds may cause excessive squealing. Contaminated pads or rotors. Improper breaking-in or alignment of new pads. Changing rotors and/or pads without matching compounds to used rotors (if that makes sense?)

Wet conditions will cause some, or temporary squealing, until the water evaporates from the rotors and pads.

Washing with isopropyl alcohol can help, or a gentle sanding (fine grit).

It’s been my experience, on several bikes, that different pad compounds were used that don’t match the compounds used on the rotor. Can definitely be a mystery sometimes but I’ll just throw out a few ideas.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
the standard brakes that it came with Shimano 4-piston hydraulic disc, MT4100 lever, MT420 calliper. the issues i have is they sueel all the time, i clean them and a few days later they are howling again. i have replaced the pads, the LBS has sorted them out once or twice but max i get without howling is about 5 rides.
Same brakes on my wife's 2022 Trek Rail 5. No issues with them, so at a guess the rotors are contaminated. Putting new pads on contaminated rotors will merely contaminate the new pads. I assume the new pads Shimano D03S, if not what are they?

Jan 26, 2023
England
Same brakes on my wife's 2022 Trek Rail 5. No issues with them, so at a guess the rotors are contaminated. Putting new pads on contaminated rotors will merely contaminate the new pads. I assume the new pads Shimano D03S, if not what are they?
I assume the new pads Shimano D03S, ..... YES they are

Jan 26, 2023
England
Change (or thoroughly clean) the rotors and use new pads. If you then still get the same noise then the calipers must be leaking. Do NOT lubricate the calipers because
Change (or thoroughly clean) the rotors and use new pads. If you then still get the same noise then the calipers must be leaking. Do NOT lubricate the calipers because that risks contaminating both rotors and pads.

thanks mate... i will give it a try over the weekend :cool:

boomy96

Jun 3, 2023
Australia
My Rail 5 came with Tektro 4pots. I'm 90kgs and even after the pads were broken in they still couldn't lock up the wheels with full braking force. I bought some MT7s but I didn't use them for long as I didn't trust how flimsy and plasticky the levers were, hard to bleed and I wasn't a fan of the four small brake pads per disc. I ended up using Shimano Saint brakes with 2mm thick Magura rotors and they are absolutely amazing. Plenty of spare parts, robust and powerful, mineral oil and easy to bleed / service.

I wouldn't bother replacing rotors and pads hoping it will Fix the problem. These are 25 kg bikes, they need good quality powerful brakes.

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Deepest Bandit country (Wales)
I wouldn't bother replacing rotors and pads hoping it will Fix the problem. These are 25 kg bikes, they need good quality powerful brakes.

Sorta +1....

standard brakes (& suspension / tyres) are good enough for you to ride BUT also allow customising or upgrading as you please😎

my rail5 is mostly standard but better brakes are coming soon - have Sram Code Rsc f&r on my Nukeproof Mega & they are fantastic in comparison with the Rail's 'standard' Shimano setup (Wiggle were selling Rsc's for £100 per wheel (caliper & lever) but they've no 'cheap' stock now:rolleyes:

following this thread with interest(y)

Rich.

TopUnit

Dec 4, 2022
Australia
I have a Rail 5 with same brakes as you. I have done 2,500km on them and they have always been completely silent. I have replaced two sets of pads on the back and one set on front as well as the rear rotor all with same parts as orignal (resin pads). I have had no problems with them.

Jan 26, 2023
England
i have thoroughly cleaned the rotas and replaced the pads and the noise has gone, but i will be replacing the brakes as others have mentioned the stopping power is not the best for a heavy bike and (heavyish rider). VERY INTERESTED IN THE MT7’s as a few on here have pointed out :cool:.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
i have thoroughly cleaned the rotas and replaced the pads and the noise has gone, but i will be replacing the brakes as others have mentioned the stopping power is not the best for a heavy bike and (heavyish rider). VERY INTERESTED IN THE MT7’s as a few on here have pointed out :cool:.
Good result.

However, you could instead fit 220mm rotors which have a dramatic effect on braking performance. After trying SRAM HS2 220mm rotors which were unacceptably noisy, I fitted Swissstop Catalyst Pro 220mm rotors and the improvement in braking performance is staggering - single finger braking no probs. I still use original Shimano D03S resin pads which are really quiet with loads of 'feel'. The Swissstop rotors are superb but not cheap (ie expensive).

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023
England
Good result.

However, you could instead fit 220mm rotors which have a dramatic effect on braking performance. After trying SRAM HS2 220mm rotors which were unacceptably noisy, I fitted Swissstop Catalyst Pro 220mm rotors and the improvement in braking performance is staggering - single finger braking no probs. I still use original Shimano D03S resin pads which are really quiet with loads of 'feel'. The Swissstop rotors are superb but not cheap (ie expensive).
thanks Irie.... good advice from everybody....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles