How many % discount you had when you bought your eMTB?

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
I don’t know, but I don’t see the owners of our 3-4 LBS driving fancy cars or living in big houses. I see the owners and staff out in the community or on the trails (sometimes with their young families) and I take the time to say hello or greet them again in a different environment. It has cost me $0.00 to treat them like I would want to be treated.

I’ve never been in the retail business and I don’t know exactly how it works. Over time, and a number or purchases, I begin to understand the margins on certain items.

Take a friend. It may show the LBS’s that you are part of a network and your purchasing power is significant and influential. It also shows the LBS that you are committed to their product or items. I sometimes joke that the LBS’s know me by name, but when I walk into their business with a couple of potential customers…they take notice.

Or…maybe I’m completely naive and have no idea of what I’m talking about. But my wallet has the final say.

Went this afternoon on one of the LBS. My friend had 10% discount on his brand new Alloy Levo 2 weeks ago. I spoke about him and ask if they can do the same discount with me and if yes, i was able to pay immediatly. They smile, and very politely they show me this extra lube with Teflon and suggest me to insert the whole thing in my ass.

I struggle to obtain 5%. I didn't buy the bike.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
They smile, and very politely they show me this extra lube with Teflon and suggest me to insert the whole thing in my ass.

I’m surprised you were offered any discount on an eBike. Hopefully there was enough Teflon left over for a few bushings.😬

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
I’m surprised you were offered any discount on an eBike. Hopefully there was enough Teflon left over for a few bushings.😬

They offer 5% in average for all the bike I asked: Specialized, Trek, Cube, Moustache. Discount are more on accessories. But I already have my full gear so i'm not interested.

Guys, do you think prices will skyrocket in a a near future?

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
When I purchased my Altitude PP in 2019, the retail was $10,500 nzd. I got it for $7800 with 3 years interest free. A few mates said they would wait for the price to drop and the bikes to improve etc. One of my riding buddies just received his Reign E+0 which cost him $12,500. Rocky Mountain PP FS bikes start at $13,000 here now if you can even get one.

Last edited:

Riptide88

Jan 8, 2022
Alberta
Sucks to pay full pop for a bike but thats the way it is here in Canada, deals are non existent and you're lucky to even get one in a timely manner. I ordered a cannondale in november and they said i should see it july, well they called me last month and i thought yeah it came early but instead they told me it got bumped to feb 2023.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Went this afternoon on one of the LBS. My friend had 10% discount on his brand new Alloy Levo 2 weeks ago. I spoke about him and ask if they can do the same discount with me and if yes, i was able to pay immediatly. They smile, and very politely they show me this extra lube with Teflon and suggest me to insert the whole thing in my ass.

June 20 i got 19 Levo Expert costing £7400 for £6200 spent the savings on fox 36s and Hope brakes. Berkshire cycles. Not much nowadays i would imagine .

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Sucks to pay full pop for a bike but thats the way it is here in Canada.
Yesterday I received an email from the Trek mailing list for bike mechanics. Our 3 LBS have offered me positions as a bike mechanic (yup they are desperate). The showroom floors ebb and flow with stock on a weekly basis. Bikes trickle in. If an item is on the shelf, it could be gone in a few hours. Supply and demand is a crap-shoot and you’re likely to wait weeks or months for a bike or a part. Meanwhile, new businesses have sprung up while existing ones have tried to adapt to the demand.

And then I watch the news …holy-crap.
I’m not sure if I should celebrate or worry. 😢

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Berkshire Cycles 10% month ago, on the new 2022 Carbon Comp
The warranty claims ive had off Chris with no quibbles well worth my flight to London to collect bike when new and drive 450 miles home . 2 motors 2 cables and frame cant fault them. Plus big discount. 😃

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
I searched in January 2020 for the cheapest, lightest, 29" double ebike with an E8000 engine, I found the Canyon Neuron ON that cost 3,299 euros with a 15.15% discount. It cost me 2,799 euros and weighed 22.7 kilos.
With the 500 euros of savings I invested in a black diamond Eliminator, I removed the cameras, I put an xt cassette and chain, RT70 203 discs and BR-M6120 4-piston brakes and CRANKBROTHERS STAMP 7 pedals, I left it at 22 kilos.
After 26 months and 12,700 kilometers of hard trail, it has only given me satisfaction.
Now something similar is worth no less than 4500 euros.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
R & M Delight Mountain. 0% but did get a few extra thrown in and “tubeless” conversion
Did not amount to much % but all helps towards the £80. Cost of spare belt!

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Would be interesting to know the dealer % margin . rumour is the R&M dealers get 40%. Not bad on £7k of bike .
We need our LBSs so do not begrudge them a penny......

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Would be interesting to know the dealer % margin . rumour is the R&M dealers get 40%. Not bad on £7k of bike .
We need our LBSs so do not begrudge them a penny......
I know many years i got a Dawes tourer tried to get it through cycle to work Harrogate cycles told me no he only makes £50. My mates a Nicolai dealer bought £17000 worth last year in one order and got £700 off.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
zero on the bike but it is the 2022 model, although I get good discounts on parts and work when required and priority treatment from my LBS for repairs, my FU's :), so it all works out.

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Well, I think I have to be happy to get 5% discount without any disucssion on the Specialized... I reazlly have to take a decision right now. Things are gonna be worse in a near future, with a lot of shortage in bikes and parts.

kidsnare

Apr 30, 2021
Germany
Bought my Heckler at this time last year with 30% discount. It was the R Spec with E8000 motor and the 21 model of the Heckler was already released with the EP8. But I still thought it was a good deal.

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Bought my Heckler at this time last year with 30% discount. It was the R Spec with E8000 motor and the 21 model of the Heckler was already released with the EP8. But I still thought it was a good deal.
30%? Waaaaow!

aimage

Jul 8, 2021
New Zealand
Down here in NZ, I went to a chain LBS to purchase a Rail 7, they couldn't find the colour and size I wanted and instead of letting me walk out with my money, they offered me 10% off a Rail 9. Couldn't walk away from that! Super happy!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles