Fox Float X2: anyone have opinions?

Albuht

Jun 14, 2019
CA
Have a 2019 levo and I’m upgrading the rear shock. Anyone have experience with the Float X2 (not the DPX2).

Based on my searches it seems people are favoring the coil. I love coil but I’m wondering why people are going coil over air as well. The adjustability of air is a big pro for me as this is my first ebike and I’m not sure I’m going to get the same pop as a regular MTB with coil since the ebike is heavier.

Also, I’m guessing the levo has the same or similar leverage curve as the normal stumpjumper so it will probably be more linear?

Thanks for the repose guys!

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I’ve got the X2 on my Meta Power 29, great small bump sensitivity and also loves the big hits. I’m very very happy.

Albuht

Jun 14, 2019
CA
Thanks for all the input, everyone. Sorry guys, my fault. Shop thought I wanted a DPX2. Decided to go with a DHX2 210x55. It's a bit more travel and tolerances should be good. Gonna see if Fox has these available.

Anyone else running a 210x55?

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
I've been considering this one :Fox FLOAT DPX2 3Pos-Adj 210x52.5 Trek Fuel EX, 2020
It's the right dimensions for my 2019 Levo comp. Has anyone installed this part #?
My 910-20-609 Fox Racing Shox 2019 Fox Factory 36 Float E-Bike+ 29" Fork Grip 2 Tapered arrives today! Looking forward to installing it tomorrow eve and giving it a ride.
I'm finding my RockShox Revelation is not plush enough on long descents.

Edit...and It's installed. Taking it out later today
58260882716__20AB9ECC-64D2-4FB2-A6E8-00BE83179FA1.jpg

Last edited:

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I've been considering this one :Fox FLOAT DPX2 3Pos-Adj 210x52.5 Trek Fuel EX, 2020
It's the right dimensions for my 2019 Levo comp. Has anyone installed this part #?
My 910-20-609 Fox Racing Shox 2019 Fox Factory 36 Float E-Bike+ 29" Fork Grip 2 Tapered arrives today! Looking forward to installing it tomorrow eve and giving it a ride.
I'm finding my RockShox Revelation is not plush enough on long descents.

I’ve got a similar setup up front on my Meta with a 36 Factory, Fit 4, 150mm, eBike specific fork. It’s burley beast and I’m loving it.

It’s running the Float X2 Factory on the rear, it’s more of a heavy hitter (in performance and design) and I would suggest more suited to an eBike.

I do run the DPX2 on my conventional trail bike, it’s a lovely bit of kit but I can see why the Float has been spec’d on my eBike. It’s worth noting the Float is slightly heavier, harder to set up and service.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
i have a X2 on my manual yeti, and a ohlins TTX on my levo. While the X2 is a great shock, the coil for the levo transformed the bike.

It greatly helps with uphill technical climbs, as the coil squats the rear and delivers the power much better

also helps with landings due to the heavy weight of the levo

KristianBHald

Jun 14, 2018
Denmark
Thanks for all the input, everyone. Sorry guys, my fault. Shop thought I wanted a DPX2. Decided to go with a DHX2 210x55. It's a bit more travel and tolerances should be good. Gonna see if Fox has these available.

Anyone else running a 210x55?
Did you go for the 210x55. And how does i Feel.

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
When fitting a X2 to a Levo do you need a new mounting kit or can you use the one already fitted on the Levo's standard shock?

Also if you run the X2 210 x55 do you have to run the flip chip in the high position or can it be run in the low position?

sisuman

Aug 11, 2019
Vermont USA
I have the x2 on my enduro and I think it is great. Butter smooth.
I would have put one on my 2018 Levo but I don't think it was available so I went with the dps

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Cheers, i have a DPS on my Expert so its a simple swap then

Ive also got a spare frame with a FOX Float X2 fitted that i was going to swap over but its
230x60 so wont fit

markm

Nov 26, 2019
South Africa
When fitting a X2 to a Levo do you need a new mounting kit or can you use the one already fitted on the Levo's standard shock?

Also if you run the X2 210 x55 do you have to run the flip chip in the high position or can it be run in the low position?
Good advice! Do you know if the X2 will fit inside the 2019/20 Levo Frame? Is there enough tolerance for the large aircan?

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Ddc6284

When you used your existing mounting kit from your DPS shock did you not use the two black spacers?

I cant get my X2 to fit using the two black spacers, the X2's eye looks to be wider than the Levo expert's DPS shock's eye

Ive just fitted the two bushings and rubber o rings and the alloy centre shaft and the whole assembly just slides in, no room to fit the black spacers

Last edited:

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Ddc6284

When you used your existing mounting kit from your DPS shock did you not use the two black spacers?

I cant get my X2 to fit using the two black spacers, the X2's eye looks to be wider than the Levo expert's DPS shock's eye

Ive just fitted the two bushings and rubber o rings and the alloy centre shaft and the whole assembly just slides in, no room to fit the black spacers
@escrs did you manage to make this work please?

yokev

Jan 26, 2020
US
I've always preferred coils on my bikes, but I'm really considering putting an X2 on my '20 Kenevo, as the linkage rate they have on these things is NOT conducive to popping off stuff. Trying to pop off rocks, roots etc. feels like trying to jump a semi
I put an X2 on my '18 Kenevo for a minute(sarcasm for a week), and right away I didn't like its initial stroke stiffness. Obviously coils are softer in the initial part of their stroke, but air shocks tend to lack mid-stroke support. If the linkage leverage curve for the bike you have looks like a frown(the 'apex' of the frown means the linkage has weak mid-stroke support, ), you typically would wanna stay away from an air shock

yokev

Jan 26, 2020
US
I blew the fuck outta the stock marzocchi POS(bent the fricken shaft, and broke the clip) shock today, and couldn't find a DHx2 anywhere that could get it to me by tomorrow. I don't know what made me think of it, but I looked up the size of the X2 on my Firebird(Pivot) 29", and sumbitch the thing fit.
I've now cannibalized both ends of the Pivot for my Kenevo.
I'm gonna ride on the X2 tomorrow on some pretty rocky, bomb-holed, steep runs. I really prefer having traction on these runs cuz of all the rocks(a lot have broken away), so we'll see how well the X2 sticks the tire to the ground.
I'll report back
kenevox2.jpg

lmartins

Sep 19, 2018
Portugal
Cheers, i have a DPS on my Expert so its a simple swap then

Ive also got a spare frame with a FOX Float X2 fitted that i was going to swap over but its
230x60 so wont fit

Shoot!! I am on the same situation, was hoping to use the shock from my spectral:eek:n (230x60) :(

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
Have a 2019 levo and I’m upgrading the rear shock. Anyone have experience with the Float X2 (not the DPX2).

Based on my searches it seems people are favoring the coil. I love coil but I’m wondering why people are going coil over air as well. The adjustability of air is a big pro for me as this is my first ebike and I’m not sure I’m going to get the same pop as a regular MTB with coil since the ebike is heavier.

Also, I’m guessing the levo has the same or similar leverage curve as the normal stumpjumper so it will probably be more linear?

Thanks for the repose guys!
Seriously, it is getting to be another fad...Air without doubt has the best quick tuneabilty and unless you are a serious racer is perfectly good for all trails...the coil has some benefits but you need the exact weighted spring... others would argue to the death that they are better, good set-up and personal choice is all you need. The Fox Float X2 is a brilliant shock and I've had them on three enduro bikes and have been for me just as good as any coil...big hucks, drops, jumps and downhill.

PumpKing

Dec 3, 2019
CA
I have the X2 on my '20 Levo with the 55 stroke.

140lb, aggressive rider that likes to plow into everything and jump anything, but jumps on our trails arent much of anything larger than your typical man made jumps made out of fallen trees/logs.

230psi, 10 clicks of HSC, and I still blow through the stroke incredibly easy. There is ZERO mid-stroke support. The shock has 3 volume spacers in it now, and I will add one more since it only accepts 4, but I will likely need to send the shock in for a re-shim. I need to add more air, but my Fox shock pump is very granular above 230psi and trying to do small increments is very difficult.

Any person above my body weight and is semi-aggressive I assume would have a difficult time using the stock tune from the shelf shocks.

Last edited:

NGreen

Mar 15, 2019
Orange County, California
That doesn't sound right! Granted I only have the DPX2 but I'm 175 on a 19 levo. I use 90% of my travel riding aggressive but never bottom out. I'm only running 1 volume spacer and compression settings are full open. Unless we have different definitions of aggressive ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles