Fox 36 Upgrade - 2019 Turbo Levo Carbon Comp

skypickle

Jul 18, 2019
MA
Try it, my levo feels more nimble and playful. Not as forgiving though.
I remember how much i loved to throw around my stumpjumper. But that was a light bike. The levo is more tanklike. I can understand how some of the down-hill bombers here are fitting big travel coils to make a 'ke-levo'. The mass of the bike favors the gravity descent. But I am in the northeast of the US and most of my trails are rooty, rocky single track. Having a nimble ebike I thought was an oxymoron. But I am interested in trying it!
ducatiJones: which rims and plus-size tires are you using? So all I need is to build a pair of wheels, get some discs and a rear casette - then it's plug 'n play?!

dogzilla

Aug 1, 2019
London
Thank you rob.

I dont see how adding a bunch of extra levers will change the physics of de-acceleration. When your body moves forward, the amount of the vertical down component is determined only by the angle the fork makes with the horizontal. Consider if the fork were totally vertical- hitting the brakes would create horizontal negative acceleration. Through the magic of trigonometry sin 0 = 0 so no force would be transmitted vertically. (Please dont make me draw the vector decomposition diagram). When the fork is at a 45 degree angle, half the acceleration is vertical (your front end drops) and half is horizontal. Having more linkages only adds friction (increased damping)

Your explanation makes sense but I wonder if perhaps you underestimate the way in which the levers might be used to create a reactive force which suppresses the vertical acceleration. It is not only vertical acceleration from the riders weight, there is also a rotational force when the front brake is applied. It is perhaps possible with the right geometry to utilise the rotational force in some way.

Not sure they are all that clever though, I'm betting more of a gimmick than something revolutionary. Maybe for very nice style of riding.

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
Yes you can do that. It s just the exact dame principle as anti squat for a rear suspension.
But theres more, with a linkage susp, you can also have a rear path for the front whell to get out of the way for square hits.
Also you can manipulate it to have a constant trail, rather than a decreasing trail like on a telescopic fork.
You can also have a non linear actuation of the damper, giving you damping function of position.

Lastly, but one of the more important for me, if that theses forks have way less friction ,especially under load (braking).

Theses forks are not new, i used to ride a Fournales 15years ago, there also the Hurrycat, the Use, the Whyte bike, a German i saw at Eurobike (din t remember the name) and now there is the one from Dave Weagle and the Emotion.

Ducatijones

Jan 29, 2019
South Wales
I remember how much i loved to throw around my stumpjumper. But that was a light bike. The levo is more tanklike. I can understand how some of the down-hill bombers here are fitting big travel coils to make a 'ke-levo'. The mass of the bike favors the gravity descent. But I am in the northeast of the US and most of my trails are rooty, rocky single track. Having a nimble ebike I thought was an oxymoron. But I am interested in trying it!
ducatiJones: which rims and plus-size tires are you using? So all I need is to build a pair of wheels, get some discs and a rear casette - then it's plug 'n play?!
Standard wheels atm. that came with the bike. They are Bontrager Powerline Comp 40. Using 2.8 tubeless tyres on them.

Maze

Jun 15, 2019
Finland
What kind of disk brake adapter I need for Fox 36 160mm fork on Levo Comp Carbon 2019?

Is this the right one: SRAM Disc Brake Adapter for 200 mm Rotors
PM7" to PM:
- Frame/Fork Mount: post mount
- Caliper Mount: post mount
- Rotor Size 200 mm (7" brake mount)
- Contents: 1 x mount bracket, 1 x standard mounting kit, 1 CPS mounting kit
- Factory Number: 00.5318.007.004

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
It depends, if the FOX 36 is a 180 mm disk minimum size then its the right adapter. If it is 160 mm minimum disk size, then you will need the +40mm version. I have a FOX 34 and this fork have a 160mm minimum disk size.

Karsten

Aug 9, 2019
Sheffield
What kind of disk brake adapter I need for Fox 36 160mm fork on Levo Comp Carbon 2019?

PM7" to PM:

Bit late but if you're not sorted...
Avid Post To Post Brake Adaptor Including Bolts And Washers

Marcelfacd

May 30, 2019
Leersum
Your explanation makes sense but I wonder if perhaps you underestimate the way in which the levers might be used to create a reactive force which suppresses the vertical acceleration. It is not only vertical acceleration from the riders weight, there is also a rotational force when the front brake is applied. It is perhaps possible with the right geometry to utilise the rotational force in some way.

Not sure they are all that clever though, I'm betting more of a gimmick than something revolutionary. Maybe for very nice style of riding.

Don't ask me about the physics but actually the braking forces can be isolated in this way so that the fork won't dive under braking.
Ask any BMW GS owner. Has a parallelogram-like solution (just as the 'old' Girvin forks). Under braking a GS will not dive as to a regular motorbike fork will.

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
Fox Factory Float 36 e-bike, everything bolts right up. I added 5mm to the stem.
Fox DPX2, 220psi.
Stuff works so good, insane.

A93F46E2-5C8D-4D7E-8CD9-3B2CFA54059F.jpeg

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Don't ask me about the physics but actually the braking forces can be isolated in this way so that the fork won't dive under braking.
Ask any BMW GS owner. Has a parallelogram-like solution (just as the 'old' Girvin forks). Under braking a GS will not dive as to a regular motorbike fork will.
Simply put - those forks are a version of the Ribi fork as extensivelyt tested by Honda and Suzuki in the late 70's - early 80's
honda_rc125m_zpsacfc8464.jpg

Not to be confused with old style Leading Link forks.
greeves_2.jpg

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Simply put - the Ribi design held the attitude of the bike very much horizontal in braking but did allow for the suspension to absorb bumps.
With the Leading Link style you actually had the front of the bike rise under hard braking and suspension performance under braking was crap. Most riders preferred the dive of conventional telescopic forks to the Earls Type (Leading Link).
The Ribi system was very nice to ride and did contribute to lowering lap times - however none of the manufacturers wanted to race a design they did not have in production and it was decided the cost and the required maintenance was too great for a production bike.

Galion

Sep 20, 2019
Brazil

PM7" to PM:

Stop the presses!! What?
I am waiting for my non e-bike 160mm Fox Factory 36 for my 2020 Comp, Do I need a brake adapter? Please advise

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Stop the presses!! What?
I am waiting for my non e-bike 160mm Fox Factory 36 for my 2020 Comp, Do I need a brake adapter? Please advise
Probably - Carbon Comp not available here in 2020 but the regular Levo COmp has 200mm rotors so would need adapters. What is on it currently?

Galion

Sep 20, 2019
Brazil
Probably - Carbon Comp not available here in 2020 but the regular Levo COmp has 200mm rotors so would need adapters. What is on it currently?

Thanks.
Same as regular Comp
SRAM Guide RE, 4-piston caliper, hydraulic disc, 200mm
What kind of adapter exactly do I need? Anyone?

Last edited:

tedturbine

May 8, 2019
Worthing
Simply put - those forks are a version of the Ribi fork as extensivelyt tested by Honda and Suzuki in the late 70's - early 80's
honda_rc125m_zpsacfc8464.jpg

Not to be confused with old style Leading Link forks.
greeves_2.jpg

OMG my dad used to race an ex-works Greeves mx (scambler as they were called then) bought from his friend Graham Beamish, which is where my love for all things off road started

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
OMG my dad used to race an ex-works Greeves mx (scambler as they were called then) bought from his friend Graham Beamish, which is where my love for all things off road started
Beamish was going to be one of my sponsors when I came to Europe to race the GP series. Was going to be based in England and race the British champs my first season with whatever GPs I could qualify for.

tedturbine

May 8, 2019
Worthing
Beamish was going to be one of my sponsors when I came to Europe to race the GP series. Was going to be based in England and race the British champs my first season with whatever GPs I could qualify for.

Wow, small world ! I can ride to the Beamish's mx track from my house on my emtb
Top jump - rear - Jem.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles