fox factory 36

Niner09

Feb 3, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Got one on my Kenevo. 180mm and lovin’ it!!!

62C24ABE-1744-41A8-B7FF-9FEFB8D4B9CE.jpeg

sisuman

Aug 11, 2019
Vermont USA
that looks awesome!
Only reason why I ask is that its hard to find them on ebay at reduced prices. Regular ones are easy to find for approx $800.

Niner09

Feb 3, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Thanks!
Ebike specific only comes up to 160mm. Kenevo needs 180. Supposedly the Lyrik that came with it wasn’t ebike specific so can’t say I notice a stiffness difference either way. Love having the tun-ability and it feels less harsh than the 2018 Lyrik. Newer Lyriks may be even smoother according to the reviews but still lack the tuning range. They look the bomb in orange as well!!! ?
Looking forward to the release of the Factory 38!!!

rodomotion

Sep 3, 2019
Chile
Thanks!
Ebike specific only comes up to 160mm. Kenevo needs 180. Supposedly the Lyrik that came with it wasn’t ebike specific so can’t say I notice a stiffness difference either way. Love having the tun-ability and it feels less harsh than the 2018 Lyrik. Newer Lyriks may be even smoother according to the reviews but still lack the tuning range. They look the bomb in orange as well!!! ?
Looking forward to the release of the Factory 38!!!
rockshox doesn't have ebike or non ebike specific forks, they have bike forks ;)

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I have pikes which are ebike tuned whatever that means. Also the grip 2 Fox 36 are very expensive, FIT fork in Kashima may be cheeper, not looked in ages.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Maybe a stupid question, but what on earth makes a fork "ebike specific"? Is it just because the bike is 10kg heavier?? If this is the reason, then it should already have specific forks for different rider weights... so for guys like me, having the weight of a small cow, any normal fork should be at it's limit... which is not the case, the lyric works fine and i don't even need to put in the maximum pressure.

MadDash

Oct 24, 2019
Connecticut USA
Just about to turn in my 2017' S-Works Levo and pick up my new 2019 S-Works Levo today. I think the Fox Factory 36 fork is going to make a considerable difference over the Pike. I weigh 215lbs and have several thousand miles on my 17". Fork was great but I think the Fox 36 is going to be a great upgrade. Seems to be the consensus over here and at Specialized Rider Care USA.
Kashima coating not needed, but pretty.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Is it just because the bike is 10kg heavier??
Basically, It's that (I guess). The fox e-bike version has slightly stronger/thicker externals, so runs fox 34 internals. I imagine a lot of the time a fork actually snaps, the rider generally is not actually included in the weight equation - the have often parted company. But a 25kg e-bike slamming nose first vertically into a rock at 40kph has twice as much force behind it than a 12.5kg bike in the same situation.

or it could just be marketing ... apart from the ones which use the suspension movement to re-charge your bike.

BEERS - Bumpy Excessive Energy Recovery System.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Basically, It's that (I guess). The fox e-bike version has slightly stronger/thicker externals, so runs fox 34 internals. I imagine a lot of the time a fork actually snaps, the rider generally is not actually included in the weight equation - the have often parted company. But a 25kg e-bike slamming nose first vertically into a rock at 40kph has twice as much force behind it than a 12.5kg bike in the same situation.

or it could just be marketing ... apart from the ones which use the suspension movement to re-charge your bike.

BEERS - Bumpy Excessive Energy Recovery System.
I thought Fox would use the same Rhythm fork emtb as the OEM normal bikes. At least it has 36 internals because the 36 airshaft and the Grip2 damper go there

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
I thought Fox would use the same Rhythm fork emtb as the OEM normal bikes. At least it has 36 internals because the 36 airshaft and the Grip2 damper go there
This is just the thing I don't understand. Fox factory 36 ebike has grip2 damper. So has it 34 or 36 internals?

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
The Fox 36 e bike fork has thicker walls so cannot use the 36 grip2 damper set up and instead uses the 34 fork FIT4 damper

“Our ‘E-Bike Optimized’ 36 forks are characterised by their steering precision, stiffness and lack of flex during braking as well as our renowned damping performance. The steerer is reinforced with thicker walls, whilst the forged crown isn’t hollow and the stanchions also use thicker walls. This means that a FIT4 damping cartridge from a 34 Fork is used, because the stanchions have a 2mm larger diameter.

Last edited:

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
The Fox 36 e bike fork has thicker walls so cannot use the 36 grip2 damper set up and instead uses the 34 fork grip2 damper

“Our ‘E-Bike Optimized’ 36 forks are characterised by their steering precision, stiffness and lack of flex during braking as well as our renowned damping performance. The steerer is reinforced with thicker walls, whilst the forged crown isn’t hollow and the stanchions also use thicker walls. This means that a FIT4 damping cartridge from a 34 Fork is used, because the stanchions have a 2mm larger diameter.
Strange because Fox's support told me I could install 36 Grip2 Damper. And this for 36 Rhythm, so maybe emtb fork is not the same

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
The Fox 36 e bike fork has thicker walls so cannot use the 36 grip2 damper set up and instead uses the 34 fork grip2 damper

I have understood that there is not such thing as 34 grip2 damper. And I assume fit4 is not the same thing as grip2. Very likely I'm wrong?

Galion

Sep 20, 2019
Brazil
My 2020 Comp came with RS Lyric and a sticker that reads “eBike +10psi” nothing eBike specific about that. I upgraded to a non eBike Fox 36, it totally transformed my bike!
I got the Fit4 version since it was a little cheaper and I am too lazy to deal with the amount of adjustments the Grip has.

This explains the difference very well

Reactions: TMS

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
The difference is clear between fit4 and grip2. When I was doing low leg service to my grip2 I was confused. Fox oil volume chart was missing e-bike grip2 version.
2019 Bath Oil Volume Chart | Bike Help Center | FOX

Fox homepage has only one fork and it is 160 mm e-bike grip2 version. Levo is 150 mm.
Explore 36e E-Bike Bike Forks | FOX

I think Levo has some kind of oem version. You can't buy exactly same fork anywhere.

Well, I don't know. Maybe the only difference is E-bike specific damper tuning in Levo E-bike version. And added material in critical parts. Or maybe it really has smaller unique 34 mm grip2 damper cartridge just for this fork. And thicker stanchions.

Actually, I stopped caring about this. Time to charge the battery and go for a ride.

MadDash

Oct 24, 2019
Connecticut USA
This is just the thing I don't understand. Fox factory 36 ebike has grip2 damper. So has it 34 or 36 internals?
Had a chance to go over my new Levo yesterday, but didn't take it home yet due to very bad weather. The Crown of the E-bike Fox Factory 36seems much, much beefier than that of the regular Factory 36.

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
I have understood that there is not such thing as 34 grip2 damper. And I assume fit4 is not the same thing as grip2. Very likely I'm wrong?

My bad, i got it slightly wrong!

This may explain it better

E-MTB optimized suspension by Fox

The FOX 36 fitted to the Expert models are the Performance version which are oem (original equipment for manufactures) and cant be bought in the shops

As far as im aware Specialized don't fit e bike versions of forks to their bikes as they believe it is unnecessary and Rockshox don't believe in making e-bike specific forks but do put "e-bike, add 10psi extra) on the fork legs

FOX e bike forks should have a e bike sticker on them (think its an electrified E) but not to be confused with the EVOL sticker which means equalized volume in the fork legs

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
My bad, i got it slightly wrong!

This may explain it better

E-MTB optimized suspension by Fox

The FOX 36 fitted to the Expert models are the Performance version which are oem (original equipment for manufactures) and cant be bought in the shops

As far as im aware Specialized don't fit e bike versions of forks to their bikes as they believe it is unnecessary and Rockshox don't believe in making e-bike specific forks but do put "e-bike, add 10psi extra) on the fork legs

FOX e bike forks should have a e bike sticker on them (think its an electrified E) but not to be confused with the EVOL sticker which means equalized volume in the fork legs

Intresting source. Had to come back and relpy. It says that only air side is different in E-bike internals and damper has no changes.

What is your source about Specialized non E-bike forks? Manufacturer says Levo S -Works has E-bike fork and I think I have E-bike fork. Or is it just a sticker?
IMG_20190715_102646_Bokeh.jpg

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Interesting, you do have an e-bike fork

Cant remember where i read that Specialized don't fit e-bike forks

Is your s-works a 2019 version? as a quick check it seems the 2019 version has e-bike forks but the 2020 version does not

Reactions: TMS

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
That's it
2020: FOX FLOAT Factory, 36, GRIP2 damper, 51mm offset, 15x110mm, tapered alloy steerer, Kashima, 150mm of travel

2019: FOX 36 Factory E-bike, GRIP2 damper, 29" Boost™, 150mm of travel

I have 2019. And I think sisuman got his answear finally proved by Specialized. Everything works, or at least S Works :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles